Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

ohgodwhat posted:

So like you've been wrong about pretty much everything but one day you made money swing trading UVXY? Yes, that's jealousy we're feeling. Please share your secret to success

Never said anything about jealousy. Goons are already elitist, and this thread takes that one level further. My intention wasn't to make anyone "jealous", I was simply sharing a positive experience I had. I've never claimed to have actually made any substantial amount of money.

Lote posted:

What stocks are you personally shorting and / or buying?

2016 when first starting out I tried playing SPY and, obviously, it didn't go well. I picked up AMZN calls I think in December of that year and the money I made from those calls in 2017 was all but lost after I put it towards AMD and MU calls and NVDA puts (yeah, I know). I was never really looking at fundamentals, just playing the "meme" stocks. Oh, also took a few big hits trying to play VIX and UVXY.

This year I'm around 25% up total due to gold ETF calls. I made about 12% on the UVXY trades Friday.

To put these figures into perspective, I've never had more than a grand allocated to my speculative trades, and this year I cut that in half to $500 in order to try and be more disciplined by limiting the moves I can make. 25% on 500 is jack poo poo. I legitimately was not trying to brag whatsoever.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
What's this 401k people speak of?

All kidding aside my impression is that most of the frequent posters here are up recently.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:toot: for your recent success anyway

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

tangy yet delightful posted:

Follow-up question. I currently have a Vanguard account for my retirement accounts, it looks like you can trade OTC via a phone call to them and it's something like $25 per trade. Since my gameplan would be to buy whatever I settle on and them hold for a few years at least prior to selling would this be my best bet?

Any recommended OTC trading platforms that are going to take someone looking to be around $1000 starting out with like 1 trade a year or less volume?

$25 bucks is way too much, especially as 5% of the trade. If you just want to hold them with $1k I would suggest robinhood, etrade, or ally. It takes like 15 minutes to open an account with any of them. I think robinhood and etrade will let you do instant deposits. Robinhood has some free margin if you wanna juice your :10bux:.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 17, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jack Daniels posted:

CCIH
more sketchy China poo poo. but nice big green candle today... continuation for more pump incoming? or dump? lol gl

https://www.finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=CCIH&ty=c&p=d&b=1

It's always a good things when volume increases 10X over average for a day.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

dougdrums posted:

$25 bucks is way too much, especially as 5% of the trade. If you just want to hold them with $1k I would suggest robinhood, etrade, or ally. It takes like 15 minutes to open an account with any of them. I think robinhood and etrade will let you do instant deposits. Robinhood has some free margin if you wanna juice your :10bux:.

ally has instant deposits too

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I just realized that robinhood won't let you buy the foreign stocks, if you're in the US. So you can buy things like MJ, TRTC, GWPH, or IIPR with robinhood, but not much else.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

tangy yet delightful posted:

Follow-up question. I currently have a Vanguard account for my retirement accounts, it looks like you can trade OTC via a phone call to them and it's something like $25 per trade. Since my gameplan would be to buy whatever I settle on and them hold for a few years at least prior to selling would this be my best bet?

Any recommended OTC trading platforms that are going to take someone looking to be around $1000 starting out with like 1 trade a year or less volume?

Robinhood would be just fine for you. Vanguard is absolutely terrible when it comes to web interface.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

fougera posted:

What's this 401k people speak of?

All kidding aside my impression is that most of the frequent posters here are up recently.

I'm killing it, this poo poo is SO easy. I just cross my left eye while keeping my right eye straight and the patterns are super obvious

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

greasyhands posted:

I'm killing it, this poo poo is SO easy. I just cross my left eye while keeping my right eye straight and the patterns are super obvious

spb posted:

Buiying all the good ones and shorting all the bad ones

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

Better Than Bouillon is a pretty well diversified stock foundation too. Low sodium and high sodium portfolios are available, though IMO high sodium gives better returns per serving in terms of taste.
The Stock Trading Megathread: How to prepare beef bouillon for market

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zerstorung posted:

Stocks and Fonds

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Zerstorung posted:

The Stock Trading Megathread: Should I hold physical bouillon or a stock ETF?

(it's subtle, ETF's are more "liquid" you see)

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 18, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Bought some platinum from Mike down the street. Any takers?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stocks and Fonds

You'll roux the day you bet on UVXY.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
bah quote does not equal edit...

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

greasyhands posted:

That takes skill. I don't think I'm cut out for finance. Should I start by analyzing graphs while rubbing my belly and patting my head?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
http://brontecapital.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-importance-of-ges-credit-rating.html A nice write up on GE and making the case that they will need to bring an equity offering out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

joats posted:

That takes skill. I don't think I'm cut out for finance. Should I start by analyzing graphs while rubbing my belly and patting my head?

Don't be a hero. Even the best analysts can only analyze graphs while patting their own backs.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Jack Daniels on which platform do you do all your trading

Do you have a Bloomberg terminal next to your Maplestory station

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
What are people watching this week? A Seeking Alpha guy I follow is suggesting $GOGO as a short term run up due to insider buying and a potential short squeeze.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Now that I'm all into boat stocks $HII is starting to push the limit I think ...

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Petite Dinklage posted:

Jack Daniels on which platform do you do all your trading

here u got mate:

Jack Daniels posted:

E*Trade PDT account. use to use Scwhab but Etrade has much better/faster/automatic transfer functions, and alos the fills are SIGNIFICANTLY better for short daytrades and scalps and such where fills are important. I refuse to use their trading platform tho... its loving garbage. so I still use the Schwab trading platform for charts/time&sales/Level2 etc. basically everuthing eccept to execute the trade itself lol :newlol:

then of course 401k with boring stuff etc blah blah teh. I dont really touch it much

Jack Daniels posted:

a lot/most of the brokers have recently gone to the $5 commission which is sweet. whatever you pick, don't pay more than that imo....

me personally I can only speak to:
-schwab: excellent service, but not so good fills when dealing with scalps and wild morning daytrade type entires where fills are critical
-etrade: slow customer service (AT FIRST), until I got on their Teh Elite Active Trader thing and now the CS is super. also, the fills are freaking amazing compared to schwab.... its like they are working hard to get you the best fills somehow, whereas schwab was almost the opposite

also etrade has really fast/great deposit and withdrawl transfers where the deposit is IMMEDIATLEY can use the funds the second you click the button, which is amazing. there are limitations of the amount, compared to your total account, etc.... but seriously being able to transfer money from your bank account with the click of the mouse and immediatley put that poo poo into a trade is epic :worship:

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
I'm thinking $SND (fracking sand company, oils up, shale looking profitable again) and $QD (Chinese consumer finance) as buys I am targeting. Hoping for bump in $SHAK and $LTBR so I can get out of those lovely positions and into some WINNERS!!

Should be rich soon, stay tuned

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

jvick posted:

What are people watching this week? A Seeking Alpha guy I follow is suggesting $GOGO as a short term run up due to insider buying and a potential short squeeze.
With $GOGO it's fate is tied to growth in the airline industry. So if you think airlines will be up this year then $GOGO should ascend with them. From their last 10-K they had contracts with nine airlines and five more possibly lined up, so that's good there's no risk of being dependent on a few big customers.

But there is trouble in the balance sheet, as of their last reporting quarter (Nov 2017): the company's been losing money the last _eight_ quarters and has negative stockholders equity as the last 10-Q, also having negative operating income in many of those quarters.

A cursory review of the company's debt there are $292 mm of Convertible Notes involved that could dilute the stock if acted upon by the holders, and also impede a friendly acquisition. They are also paying 12.5 % interest on $525mm of their senior secured notes per their last 10-K. Their interest payment was 17% of last quarter's sales.

So $GOGO has negative equity, high interest payments , 8 quarters of losing money...will be interesting to see in a year how their story plays out.

I don't know what other catalyst would possibly drive this stock up, unless short-sellers just get bored with holding their positions. Investors would probably look for something else in the airline or air transport space with a little bit stronger balance sheet.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Man I don't get it there's like zero volume on the market today.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

We're all celebrating glorious President Trump

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
Are $WMT and $HD going to jump tomorrow, or drop? Hot takes?

I think they will climb on earnings, especially Home Depot. Unfortunately I can't put my money where my mouth is because all my cash is tied up in lovely stocks right now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ohgodwhat posted:

We're all celebrating glorious President Trump

Oh what that guy sucks

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Man I don't get it there's like zero volume on the market today.

Banks are closed

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

spb posted:

Banks are closed

:thejoke:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Weed stocks are all in Canada anyway.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

dougdrums posted:

Now that I'm all into boat stocks $HII is starting to push the limit I think ...

What have I wrought?!

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
You gotta strike while the iron's hot!

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/FoxBusiness/status/965643932062420998

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I can't remember who it was, but there was a headline on CNBC along the lines of, "Exec says welfare should only go to those who need it."

Like yeah no poo poo we figured out that part already, that's not the issue ...

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

oh it was a joke

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You want a real thrill invest in oil boats!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I get what he's trying to say, but man is that a funny sound byte for a financial analyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

nnnotime posted:

With $GOGO it's fate is tied to growth in the airline industry. So if you think airlines will be up this year then $GOGO should ascend with them. From their last 10-K they had contracts with nine airlines and five more possibly lined up, so that's good there's no risk of being dependent on a few big customers.

But there is trouble in the balance sheet, as of their last reporting quarter (Nov 2017): the company's been losing money the last _eight_ quarters and has negative stockholders equity as the last 10-Q, also having negative operating income in many of those quarters.

A cursory review of the company's debt there are $292 mm of Convertible Notes involved that could dilute the stock if acted upon by the holders, and also impede a friendly acquisition. They are also paying 12.5 % interest on $525mm of their senior secured notes per their last 10-K. Their interest payment was 17% of last quarter's sales.

So $GOGO has negative equity, high interest payments , 8 quarters of losing money...will be interesting to see in a year how their story plays out.

I don't know what other catalyst would possibly drive this stock up, unless short-sellers just get bored with holding their positions. Investors would probably look for something else in the airline or air transport space with a little bit stronger balance sheet.

All of your points are very valid, but when I say a short term play, I'm talking two weeks. The chart shows a double bottom with some positive momentum already, with more anticipated. Here is his write up:

quote:

GOGO shows a very strong technical breakout pattern testing the resistance level at 10.23 with positive momentum expected to reach 11.50 and higher. This represents at least a 12.4% expected gain in the short term. Compounding this positive opportunity is a very high short float that is set up for a large potential short squeeze scenario. Insiders have significantly increased their holdings over the prior period and institutional holdings have increased to 77.37%.

Recent news Friday, reports commitment by Aeromexico to increase applications of GOGO technology to additional aircraft in a long term partnership.