Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Instance swapping will be announced as an exploit and people doing it banned for abusing content.
Its okay, instance hopping will no longer be possible once there are fewer than 144 people in Eureka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Blockhouse posted:

wait in what crazy world is fate camping still the optimal way to level

I guess a better way to say it is we're back to fate camping being the optimal way to level. I was pretty tilted when I wrote that. I've been tilted for awhile over this, really, but I doubt i'm alone. Monster Hunter is getting me back to an even keel, though.

It's probably not optimal at higher levels but I didn't get that far; up to like level 5 though, a NM kill will give you 2000-3500 xp, and it takes no time at all to zone into a Eureka, poke around for a minute, and then exit and re-enter. Everyone's doing it, there are dozens and dozens of separate instances up, and you go into a new one every time. Eventually you find one with an active NM and go kill it, then repeat.

If you get super lucky this is orders of magnitude faster then finding a party and grinding mobs; if you get unlucky it's about the same but far less mind-numbing because you don't have to pay any attention. Additionally, you get the lockboxes from NMs for glamour gear, mounts, and minions, and NMs drop the second kind of crystal (anemos crystals) which Geralt will break down into multiple regular crystals. Or save them for relic, I guess.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Meiteron posted:

THIS is what's going to kill Eureka, the dual facts that A) reasonable progression in collecting crystals is (presumably) locked behind high elemental levels and B) The process of getting powerful enough to qualify for A is just incredibly boring. Boring even for MMO hellgrind standards.

Everything about it is just super, super baffling from a design standpoint. I cannot conceive of any other scenario beyond, "We couldn't get the complex systems we had intended for this thing to work, but we still have to release something, so here's the dumbed down lovely version," because it's completely inconceivable that Eureka made it past Q&A with a hearty thumbs up from everyone involved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drop rates absolutely get better at higher levels at least.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
First off, I wanna preface this with saying that it's been out for four hours. I do not feel that is an appropriate amount of time to judge the content as a whole, on a personal level. Instead, I want to talk about what I think is good and bad from the short time I played it.

I, for one, don't particulary like raiding. Not to say I hate it, and endgame content. I just vastly prefer to play solo, to challange myself to succeed in an MMO. And working nights, I have a rough time trying to get involved with groups, so it's just easier for me to go at things alone.

I can do that in Eureka.

But yeah. It's grindy as all hell.

It is insanely grindy. Like, the time put in to complete it is going to be insane.

I personally prefer that. I don't want to feel like I'm out of things to do a month into a patch because I've 'cleared' the content. I love XIV, but I feel like I unlock gear to fast.

And I'm not saying it's 100% super fun in Eureka, but I love the farm. I love spending hours and hours working towards something.

I really like the elemental rock-paper-scissors, and deciding whether or not to boost my ATT or DEF when going against certain mobs.

I'm very excited to see how it pans out, and I hope they don't drastically change it because everyone is freaking out over how grindy it is 4 hours after launch.

I will say that locking it in an instance is pretty lame. I can't queue for levelling dungeons while doing it. It would be nice if there was EXP gain for classes not at 70.

Thank you if you took the time to read this. Lemme know what you think of it, whether you like it or not, just please try to be civil :)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
source your quotes

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Man if I had a crystal for every person that says plz be civil and then end up being an rear end in a top hat i'd have my relic without killing a single monster.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Meiteron posted:

I guess a better way to say it is we're back to fate camping being the optimal way to level. I was pretty tilted when I wrote that. I've been tilted for awhile over this, really, but I doubt i'm alone. Monster Hunter is getting me back to an even keel, though.

It's probably not optimal at higher levels but I didn't get that far; up to like level 5 though, a NM kill will give you 2000-3500 xp, and it takes no time at all to zone into a Eureka, poke around for a minute, and then exit and re-enter. Everyone's doing it, there are dozens and dozens of separate instances up, and you go into a new one every time. Eventually you find one with an active NM and go kill it, then repeat.

If you get super lucky this is orders of magnitude faster then finding a party and grinding mobs; if you get unlucky it's about the same but far less mind-numbing because you don't have to pay any attention. Additionally, you get the lockboxes from NMs for glamour gear, mounts, and minions, and NMs drop the second kind of crystal (anemos crystals) which Geralt will break down into multiple regular crystals. Or save them for relic, I guess.

Oh okay you were still talking about Eureka I thought I was losing my goddamn mind for a second

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
As I said in another post, I think the people who are declaring this to be "Diadem 3.0"/ "Worse than Diadem" are the same people who were declaring the same thing before the content even dropped, and heaven forbid they admit they were wrong. Combine that with all the people who are just determined to be unhappy no matter what kind of content we get, and here we are.

Objectively speaking, Eureka gets right a lot of things that Diadem got wrong. (If the following looks familiar to you, it's because I'm copying and pasting from another one of my comments)

* In Diadem you could only go in a party, and once you were there you couldn't make changes to your party. If someone wanted to leave, they had to leave the party entirely, and the party would have no way of refilling their numbers, which meant that the run would be pretty much over if some people wanted to leave, even if others wanted to say. This was fixed with Eureka but allowing people to join and leave parties while in Eureka, allowing them to spend as much or as little time as they wanted there without impacting other people.

* You could only enter in a full party--via a que--unless you were in an FC with an airship, which would allow you to enter via a smaller group. Eureka fixes this by having its entrance at the Kugane docks, and allowing you to enter in however big or small of a group you want, including solo.

* Diadem wasn't worth grinding for gear, because said gear was locked behind multiple levels of RNG--you first had to actually get gear, then it had to be for your job, and then the randomly generated substats had to not suck. It wasn't even worth grinding for glamour because the gear all used PVP gear models that were already in the game. The gear we get from Eureka has set stats, is guaranteed to be for the job you play, and is the same ilv as the current normal mod raids--which I'd like to remind you is still current content with a weekly drop cap--except it has 5 matera slots. Furthermore, even once you outclass it in terms of gear, it's still viable for glamour, and will always be viable for glamour.

* Diadem lacked any kind of real goal to keep you coming back once you got the mounts and minions, or even an real reason for your character to have gone there in the first place, other than to say you did. Eureka has not only it's own scenario quest but is also how you get your relic, which means it'll stay relevant because people always want relics, even after they've become obsolete, because they make good glamour.

Now, are there improvements that could be made? Sure, and I'm sure improvements, whether it's the stuff the community is talking about or other things, are coming. Off the top of my head, improvements I can think of are

* Make it so you can summon your Chocobo, assuming this isn't already a thing once you've gotten to the point where you can use mounts in Eureka (has anyone gotten far enough to confirm/ deny this?)

* Have the adventurer list open when you enter Eureka, and add a button to it that'll let you change your status to LFG, since right now the way to do that is a bit of an uncessary hassle

* Piggybacking off of the previous thing, rework the adventurer list so that it's part of a Eureka-only PF, so that party leaders can see who in the instance is looking for a party and people looking for a party can see who's recruiting without it flooding shout chat.

As a final note, I think when they inevitably nerf the phase, as they do with every relic phase, it'll involve increasing experience gain so it's easier to level, increasing drop rate for crystals, having the NMs spawn more frequently, and maybe re-balancing the enemies so they're a bit easier to solo.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Stop making me associate Alpha with garbage, it is a horrible crime you are commiting on myself and others in this thread.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

A level 6 FATE can spawn that has a voidsent NM and he is accompanied by 2 garms. The garms can kill the entire instance with voice of dragon if not stacked and burned down first.

And they respawn.

I'm still laughing.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 14, 2018

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Having played this a bit more... it's still pretty bad. I know, I know, it's less than a day in, but I'm already tired of rounding up and AOEing random trash, or spending ten minutes whittling down an NM sack of HP.

The level scaling is absolutely going to kill it in the long run though. Speaking from experience, a level 1-2 in a party of level 4-5+ is basically useless; they're going to aggro everything on the way to the hunting spot and get 1-2 shot by anything at the level the rest of the party is fighting. Unless the scaling changes as you go up in level, any similarly small spread in a party is going to be horrible for at least some of the people involved. And of course soloing to level is pointless and there's no group matching. :geno:

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

A level 6 FATE can spawn that has a voidsent NM and he is accompanied by 2 garms. The garms can kill the entire instance with voice of dragon if not stacked and burned down first.

And they respawn.

I'm still laughing.
:lol:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, uh, do we need to repost other people's stuff from other sites? That seems kind of petty.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Asimo posted:

Having played this a bit more... it's still pretty bad. I know, I know, it's less than a day in, but I'm already tired of rounding up and AOEing random trash, or spending ten minutes whittling down an NM sack of HP.

The level scaling is absolutely going to kill it in the long run though. Speaking from experience, a level 1-2 in a party of level 4-5+ is basically useless; they're going to aggro everything on the way to the hunting spot and get 1-2 shot by anything at the level the rest of the party is fighting. Unless the scaling changes as you go up in level, any similarly small spread in a party is going to be horrible for at least some of the people involved. And of course soloing to level is pointless and there's no group matching. :geno:

:lol:

Sounds just as intended to emulate the old FFXI experience!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

And they respawn.

I'm still laughing.
I like Eureka now

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Sounds just as intended to emulate the old FFXI experience!
My FFXI leveling experience was playing it for a week or so with friends, missing a day due to whatever, and then being a level or two behind and unable to team with them so winding up having to sit around for hours trying to find a group only to trundle out to kill crabs, wind up getting murdered by an add, and ending up with negative one levels for a saturday spent playing. And then cancelling my subscription.

So yeah, pretty much. :shepicide:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

And they respawn.

I'm still laughing.

that legitimately owns tho

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, uh, do we need to repost other people's stuff from other sites? That seems kind of petty.

Don't be a buzzkill. It's a thread tradition.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Verranicus posted:

Don't be a buzzkill. It's a thread tradition.

Not just this thread, more of a Goon tradition to make fun of pubbies.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

And they respawn.

I'm still laughing.

Actually the garms can be prevented from spawning by killing the void portals. good luck getting the zerg to do that though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Everything I hear about FFXI just smacks of bad design, was it ever a good game?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Schneider Heim posted:

Everything I hear about FFXI just smacks of bad design, was it ever a good game?

I tried to check out ffxi for the story last year now that you can solo everything. Unfortunately PlayOnline repeatedly failed to download patches and I gave up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kitfox88 posted:

Are there any good Fat Sheathe Katanas I need something equally hideous to go with the full Warwolf Striking set but everything on the marketboard up to the level 54 I'm at with Samurai is far too elegant.

Two fat-sheathed Katanas that spring to mind are Shiva's + upgraded Shiva's, and later, Shire + Augmented Shire.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

No. It was just a pre-WoW MMO so people were dumb and didn't know better.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

FFXI, much like DAoC and Everquest, was a combination of being "good for its time" (in the sense that there really wasn't anything else offering a better-designed experience) and having a style of gameplay that catered to an audience with a specifically high level of tolerance for busywork. It's difficult to put it on a purely objective scale of good or bad because standards and tastes have changed over time. If young teen me hadn't cancelled my FFXI preorder, I probably would've played the poo poo out of it and loved it, but you'd have to have a revolver pointed at my head nowadays to get me to try it even with the massive number of QoL changes they've added in.

For what it's worth, I'm in favor of online game design gradually shifting in the direction of valuing the time of players and supporting a wider variety of playstyles. It's why Eureka's a disappointment for me: I'd love some good open world poo poo to do, but they keep loving it up on the most fundamental level possible for some inexplicable reason.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 14, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Axle_Stukov posted:

Actually the garms can be prevented from spawning by killing the void portals. good luck getting the zerg to do that though.

The Zerg can't even handle the adds they train onto the early NM's.

Freakin' bhoots :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SL the Pyro posted:

From elemental level 5.

And it's something I'm going to end up doing because I want that loving T-Rex. :shepicide:

Redolent Rose was right.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Vermain posted:

For what it's worth, I'm in favor of online game design gradually shifting in the direction of valuing the time of players and supporting a wider variety of playstyles. It's why Eureka's a disappointment for me: I'd love some good open world poo poo to do, but they keep loving it up on the most fundamental level possible for some inexplicable reason.

Yeah, reading about Eureka makes me want to nope the hell out of it, is it really necessary for progression or for hardcore players only?

Also last night I queued up as a healer in leveling DR and got into a group within a minute, at 4 AM JST. Man...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah, reading about Eureka makes me want to nope the hell out of it, is it really necessary for progression or for hardcore players only?

Also last night I queued up as a healer in leveling DR and got into a group within a minute, at 4 AM JST. Man...

As of the moment it's not necessary at all. You have alternate options to get high-end gear and there's no current point where high-end gear isn't seriously overdoing it for story content or anything that isn't savage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Schneider Heim posted:

Eureka isn't necessary for poo poo. It's completely a vanity grind for casual players who can't hack it in end game raiding and want something, anything to do.

Which is why it's probably going to get heavily nerfed because if THIS is your casual content...it's not gonna go over well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As a story-driven RPG, FF14's been hit or miss with me so far, but the intro to Azys Lla and what happened to Ysayle was a palpable hit with me. She's been maybe my favorite character in Heavensward - as a deeply religious person myself, I can relate a lot to her search for meaning and purpose, and her crisis of faith. For once I genuinely felt sad when the game intended me to, but if it had to happen that was a pretty drat good way to do it.

Also enjoyed the last bit with Midgardsormr in Azys Lla. I think I'd have liked to seen a bit more of him, but as a cryptic source of advice I prefer snarky cynical dragon dad over generically wise and compassionate crystal mom.

And, as with seemingly everything in Eorzea, the Allagans are dicks and the source of the world's current problems. I wonder if the game will explain where the heart of Ultima Weapon came from, though, Lahabrea mentioned that it's much older than the Allagans and even they didn't entirely understand what they had.

Got the titular quest Heavensward, but I think I'll finish that up tomorrow.

I know that at 50 and after finishing the 2.0 story, I started getting poetics tomestones to trade for and upgrade Ironworks gear that saw me through much of HW (only started replacing that stuff in the Churning Mists). Is there something comparable at 60? I had ten silver chocobo feathers that I traded to a calamity salvager for a super good blue weapon and robe that turned out to come with pants, so is there something similar I'll be looking out for/grinding soon?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The heart of sabik powered ultima, iirc, but it hasn’t been explained further than it’s older than allag.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cythereal posted:

I know that at 50 and after finishing the 2.0 story, I started getting poetics tomestones to trade for and upgrade Ironworks gear that saw me through much of HW (only started replacing that stuff in the Churning Mists). Is there something comparable at 60?

There was, but now the 60 stuff just uses Poetics.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Its neither and you can safely ignore it. You can get better gear elsewhere much more easily, relic/anima/eureka weapons are all about grinding for an absurdly long amount of time to get a potentially cool looking weapon eventually. Occasionally relic weapons have been competitive because they're usually pretty customizable but no one is gonna tell you to get a relic if you want to raid. If anything relics are the casual content because its just a meter that goes up as you watch netflix or whatever

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kirbysuperstar posted:

There was, but now the 60 stuff just uses Poetics.

Then where and who will I be turning poetics in to and what's the gear called?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Then where and who will I be turning poetics in to and what's the gear called?
A place you won't be for awhile, Idyllshire, and Shire gear. i270 after upgrades

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

homeless snail posted:

A place you won't be for awhile, Idyllshire, and Shire gear. i270 after upgrades

Nah, you go to Idyllshire during the HW msq. Duly noted that Shire's the stuff I'll be looking for, thanks.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Nothing, absolutely nothing in FFXIV can even come close to FFXI's single most offensively terrible piece of game design: The Ninja class.

What was implemented as a half-assed, lackluster DPS class became the most preferred tank for a very long time thanks to the existence of two highly exploitable "blink" spells, featuring expendable shadows that took hits in place of the character, creating a tank that, through little other than repeated provokes and those two spells spammed indefinitely, required no healing. This was seen as optimal because who the hell can find, let alone play a healer in a mandatory-groups-for-everything MMO?

The second of these two spells was only available through a quest that did not appear until the player had completed a virtually invisible reputation grind, whose status could be tracked only by checking the price of one item on one vendor NPC. Far worse; both spells required an expendable reagent to be used -- a reagent that could only be crafted by players, and thus sold for an excessive price.

And so, if you want to point to a situation that probably led to RMT parasites getting the start-up cash that helped them to become the multibillion-dollar black market industry that blossomed during WoW's heyday -- hacking, phishing, buying, gutting, and selling thousands upon thousands of accounts daily -- then FFXI's Ninja is right up there.

FFXI's designers knew how Ninja was being played, and though they openly stated it wasn't their intention, they only made adjustments years later -- mostly to the way enemy attacks behaved, that rendered the blink spells relatively useless. But, damage done.

Anyway, I went to Eureka and it was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Mazed posted:

Nothing, absolutely nothing in FFXIV can even come close to FFXI's single most offensively terrible piece of game design: The Ninja class.

What was implemented as a half-assed, lackluster DPS class became the most preferred tank for a very long time thanks to the existence of two highly exploitable "blink" spells, featuring expendable shadows that took hits in place of the character, creating a tank that, through little other than repeated provokes and those two spells spammed indefinitely, required no healing. This was seen as optimal because who the hell can find, let alone play a healer in a mandatory-groups-for-everything MMO?

The second of these two spells was only available through a quest that did not appear until the player had completed a virtually invisible reputation grind, whose status could be tracked only by checking the price of one item on one vendor NPC. Far worse; both spells required an expendable reagent to be used -- a reagent that could only be crafted by players, and thus sold for an excessive price.

And so, if you want to point to a situation that probably led to RMT parasites getting the start-up cash that helped them to become the multibillion-dollar black market industry that blossomed during WoW's heyday -- hacking, phishing, buying, gutting, and selling thousands upon thousands of accounts daily -- then FFXI's Ninja is right up there.

FFXI's designers knew how Ninja was being played, and though they openly stated it wasn't their intention, they only made adjustments years later -- mostly to the way enemy attacks behaved, that rendered the blink spells relatively useless. But, damage done.

I think you're being too harsh on Ninja, not to mention half of this stuff is exaggerated, untrue, or not a problem specific to the Ninja job. As a big Ninja player in both FFXI and FFXIV I feel the need to defend my beloved profession.