Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Ihmemies posted:

"Man I'm getting only crap wolverines, griffins and shadow hawks even from 5 salvage missions, and I'm short on money, better do just ONE money mission for a change."

:negative:

Ihmemies posted:

For some reason my TDR-5SS Thunderbolt is plenty fast. I just jump into the enemies and try to kill them. I haven't had any speed problems with it, quite the opposite. This time I finally got one of those instant reinforcement missions, it was fun! Until my thunderbolt pilot got sniped in the head and knocked down and lost the left torso with all the guns. Welp I managed to retreat with it and pilot survived with 40 days of hospital The same rear end in a top hat sniped my Jagemech to the head too with PPC, he was a good pilot!

I have already a sniper enforcer, ac10/5 jagemech and a LRM20/15/5 centurion, so I don't need any more snipers. Rather I'd like a dual ac10 mech with armor so I could get in closer with another mech too.

Man, that sucks. LRM10s are junk anyway! :eng101:

But hey, fair enough on that Thunderbolt - I didn't notice the JJs! As for a dual AC/10 mech that can actually mount other poo poo to do well enough up close, you'll probably have to wait for an assault. Two 10s plus three ammo is 27 tons, and you'll need at least (roughly) fifteen tons of armour - that's 42 tons, equal to anything Orion-sized and up (except for the Banshee which has gently caress all tonnage) and you haven't even equipped any other weapons or gear yet! I think the only mechs thac can do that are the Atlas and King Crab, as nothing else has both the hardpoints and the tonnage available.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I got an assassinate mission with Orion, but it was shoddy and exploded while trying to capture it. The dual PPC catapult would have been interesting too, oh well. Missed one part of it. My pilot gets 5 blips with jumpjets in Thunderbolt with Piloting 5, so he's not that easy to hit.

I found a +1 injury resist cockpit mod now, I'll put it in, every bit helps.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Insert name here posted:

I just had a similar situation where I had 2 priority slots and managed to pilot kill a Jagermech-A and core a Hunchback-G. Decided to take the one Hunchback piece cause I was already 2/3 and one of the Jagermech pieces and the RNG gods smiled upon me and gifted me the other two Jagermech pieces in the random slots. :feelsgood: Gonna turn this thing into a sweet LRM boat.
The Jagermech's lrm slots are in the center torso :negative:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Synthbuttrange posted:

Huh? the A has missile slots in the arms and normally carries an LRM15 in each

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I just discovered you can fit 2 AC/20s on an Orion.

That + Dekker with his amazing tactics called shot skills means a lot of scary fights are over fast. It doesn’t have shots to waste but when you absolutely, positively have to waste something quickly it’s hard to beat.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Grasshopper is in the running for best mech in this game, god drat.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought they were on the arms? According to this spreadsheet, anyway. Also according to Sarna fluff and MWO.

Ihmemies posted:

I got an assassinate mission with Orion, but it was shoddy and exploded while trying to capture it. The dual PPC catapult would have been interesting too, oh well. Missed one part of it. My pilot gets 5 blips with jumpjets in Thunderbolt with Piloting 5, so he's not that easy to hit.

I found a +1 injury resist cockpit mod now, I'll put it in, every bit helps.

My 'scout' mech is currently a full-JJ Black Knight :unsmigghh: :black101:

Gamerofthegame posted:

And this is what I'll replace it with when I get it!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

peer posted:

Huh? the A has missile slots in the arms and normally carries an LRM15 in each

Okay MY jager has its missile slots in the 4 slot ct. :(

edit wait no I mixed it up with the dragon.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 29, 2018

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I got a gyro that adds +3 hit defense. Putting it on my scout mech and now I am just running around with something like +14 shot difficulty modifier every turn at even optimal weapon range. The dreaded SRM carrier can't get more than 5 hits on it with its whole attack.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not sure I've seen it mentioned, but the artbook pdf that comes with the game is huge and really good!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Did that refueling pad mission that's pretty terrible. Thank god for guts, and also heat is just a construct, who gives a poo poo about overheating. A firestarter on the field as well? Flames are just in your mind, man.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My Dekker just survived an AC/20 headshot :stonk:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

RIP Behemoth, it was a meaningless skirmish on a backwater world that we had already won. You never saw that smashed up old griffin coming until it oneshotted your cockpit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gamerofthegame posted:

How do you equip yours?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, what should I do with an Enforcer? I have mine set up with an AC5, a LL++, and a shitload of mediums and it seems to do okay but I can't help but feel I could do something cooler.

I notice I could fit multiple PPCs on it if I was stupid.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Got a catapult and was very excited to poop missiles everywhere, but it's the dual PPC one. Which is still pretty great (it's my first heavy besides a Dragon) but boy does she run hot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, is heat a 0-100 scale? This will strongly affect my plan to put 3 PPCs on an Enforcer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm not even pretending I can do Panzyr until I get a heavy. My mediums barely cut it at the lowest difficulty as is.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

Got a catapult and was very excited to poop missiles everywhere, but it's the dual PPC one. Which is still pretty great (it's my first heavy besides a Dragon) but boy does she run hot.

Install 16 tons of heatsinks.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How do you equip yours?

6 Flamers, bunch of medium lasers, max jump jets.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Does the debuff from dual PPCs even stack? PPCs seem to be of very dubious use even when you are gaining the effect. If it doesn't stack, multiples seem awful.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
And the award for most humiliating death goes to:

Dekker, who just had the cockpit of his Trebuchet machine gunned out by a sodding APC!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
When is the game going to throw me another loving 90T+ assault, I'm tired of my one highlander just standing at the back like an old man shooting missiles at people while complaining about the disrespectful youth

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not even pretending I can do Panzyr until I get a heavy. My mediums barely cut it at the lowest difficulty as is.

Panzyr tips: Be aggressive on the tanks at the start, advance fast, focus down the SRM carriers and stamp on the rest. Make sure you're near the main ramp down to the port as you finish the last tank so you get the 'ignore the turrets' message fast. Ready a fast light to double initiative sprint off through the trees to the right, after you've drawn the main force in with the rest of your robots.

I did it on the second try with 2 mediums (AC 20 cent and AC 5 blackjack) and 2 lights (laser jenner and LRM panther) and I'm pretty bad at games so it's definitely possible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sebmojo posted:

Panzyr tips: Be aggressive on the tanks at the start, advance fast, focus down the SRM carriers and stamp on the rest. Make sure you're near the main ramp down to the port as you finish the last tank so you get the 'ignore the turrets' message fast. Ready a fast light to double initiative sprint off through the trees to the right, after you've drawn the main force in with the rest of your robots.

I did it on the second try with 2 mediums (AC 20 cent and AC 5 blackjack) and 2 lights (laser jenner and LRM panther) and I'm pretty bad at games so it's definitely possible.

I'm sure the mission is fine but my lance of failures can barely do 1 to 1.5 skulls. I just can't deal with being outnumbered by heavier mechs 2 to 1 right now and the difficulty ramp up will end things. As it is I'm savescumming if a contract deploys reinforcements instantly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I got screwed out of winning my first attempt at that because finishing off the last enemy (and going back into noncombat mode) screws anyone that hasn't moved yet out of their turn. Ended up one turn short of blowing up the objective.

Blitz the vehicles, move in on the mechs asap, don't get too bogged down in fighting at the ramp. If it's dragging on, start aggressively flanking so that you can move on the objective when you need to. 4 mediums is fine.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 29, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jabor posted:

I got screwed out of winning my first attempt at that because finishing off the last enemy (and going back into noncombat mode) screws anyone that hasn't moved yet out of their turn. Ended up one turn short of blowing up the objective.

Speaking of combat shenanigans I'm not a huge fan of how sensor locking an unknown enemy on first contact starts combat and un-locks the target.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

When is the game going to throw me another loving 90T+ assault, I'm tired of my one highlander just standing at the back like an old man shooting missiles at people while complaining about the disrespectful youth

I keep running 4.5 skull contracts and it's nothing but Dragons and Quickdraws as far as the eye can see. Maybe a Catapult or Grasshopper every now and then. Absolutely nothing else. Assaults seem very rare. I don't think I've come across any outside of story missions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

The gently caress is a Mad Cat, don't you dare besmirch the mighty Timber Wolf with that ignorant-rear end IS moniker.

IS reporting names are so much better than the original clan names for their omnis it's not even funny.

Mad Cat, Cauldron-Born, Vulture, Loki, Thor, Kraken.

The only real exceptions are the Kuritan names, Ryoken, Daishi, and Masakari but I still use them to annoy clan players.

Even the clans call a cauldron-born a cauldron-born.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Is there any central place for collecting good mech builds?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Jack2142 posted:

I think the problem with all the Battletech Games where you run into Lights v Assaults issues is simply the fact you have 4 slots total. If the choice was bringing in a lance of say Jenner's vs a single Atlas I could see the logic of going with the four light mechs.

In general it is the hard cap of drop slots and not tonnage which makes it kinda pointless to bring lights along once you get bigger stompy bots.

Total lance tonnage could help with this, but so could environments. Worlds where the soil, ice, foliage, etc mandates certain classes or at least severely restricts terrain could work.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

so when it comes to armor should I just be maxing everything out or is there some sweet spot?

i've never played mechwarrior or battletech games before so I really don't have a baseline beyond the stock builds of how I want to fiddle with things and even with a maxed out mech bay refitting times (or repair times if something random really doesnt work) kind of makes me hesitant to want to experiment too much

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Xarbala posted:

IS reporting names are so much better than the original clan names for their omnis it's not even funny.

Mad Cat, Cauldron-Born, Vulture, Loki, Thor, Kraken.

The only real exceptions are the Kuritan names, Ryoken, Daishi, and Masakari but I still use them to annoy clan players.

Even the clans call a cauldron-born a cauldron-born.

IS Reporting name for the Vulture was originally Hagetaka but people got so sick of explaining "which is Japanese for vulture" that they just started calling it the Vulture. :pseudo:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

sebmojo posted:

Remove pause tweak

The pointless delays between things was put in on purpose by the developers (god knows why), but it’s a 30 second fix to remove. It both speeds up the game massively and makes for a smoother experience:

– Go to:
Steam folder\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\constants

– Change the following lines in “audioconstants.json” so that they look like this:

“AttackPreFireDuration” : 0,
“AttackAfterFireDelay” : 0,
“AttackAfterFireDuration” : 0,
“AttackAfterCompletionDuration” : 0
“audioFadeDuration” : 0,

Debug speed tweak

Paste the text below into a text file, and save it with the .reg extension. Then double-click it. Use notepad or a text editor to avoid any problems.

Launch your mission and press Ctrl-LeftShift-minus sign combination. That's speed toggle.

code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH]
"last_debug_state_h176629417"=dword:0000000
Phrosphor or Q_Res would one of you mind adding these tweaks to your posts at the top of the thread?

Use at own risk, back up relevant files etc.

Gods yes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I start by maxing out the front and arms, and then (depending on what role I'm envisioning) trim a little when I inevitably can't fit everything else I want on. No idea if that's good strategy or not, but it seems like a reasonable default plan.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RBA Starblade posted:

i thought you were the guy talking about facing multiple lances of heavies at 1.5-2 skulls, you should have one already from the salvage

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Given how much fun melee is in this game, I'm really disappointed in the lack of Chargers.

An 80 ton 'Mech with 5 Support slots and no other weapons that moves at near-Jenner speeds? Yes please.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As Medusa gets up from being knocked down, he grumbles into the comms: "Why the hell do these things have legs..." and instantly I kind of care about not getting him killed. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i thought you were the guy talking about facing multiple lances of heavies at 1.5-2 skulls, you should have one already from the salvage

I lose those missions and reload. I almost have a Quickdraw though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Tanks are op. low profile, immune to heat damage, no knockdown damage. please take my legs and give me treads.

This is how it should be. Mechs are not supposed to be the end all of tactics. This is the reason I hated MWO and loved MWLL, combined arms. You really get the feeling you are fighting between armies. Let's give thanks that you are not fighting ASFs with thunderbolt-20 missiles with a battle armor using a guidance lasers to guide them to you.