Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Reiterpallasch posted:

people "have you pinned" because you did a kool-aid man into this thread with the "human eugenics is exactly like growing bigger strawberries" hot take
yo i stand by that! designer babies are here and they're queer. or at least they will be by the time i die of old age at 120. it's just technology, how it's used is up to the societies that develop it. an astute observer may notice that i am preoccupied with societies in general!!!

Reiterpallasch posted:

like i honestly dont think you're a cryptofascist but you're doing a pretty good forums impression of one, there's a reason this thread seems out to get you
i mean it's really only a couple of people, and i think that reaction is mostly on them. ever since the trump win some folks have been super brittle and jumping at ghosts

edit: anyway, let's get back to the stuff that matters: gender disparity!!! i was looking through the .json's, and it looks like male pilots are a minority!

from SimGameConstants.json, on what i think is random pilot generation:
"MaleGenerationWeight" : 44,
"FemaleGenerationWeight" : 46,
"NonBinaryGenerationWeight" : 10,

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I did part 2 of graverobbing, as soon as I saw they weren't my mechwarriors I stopped worrying about casualties. :unsmigghh:
Yes, only the little medium mech and princess war criminal survived the mission, thanks for the salvaged battlemaster guys.

Also very nice of them to give me the highlander after hosing out and patching up the cockpit

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sonderval posted:

Think my game might be a bit broken ish, applied the milestone change, did the second Smithson mission, now every planet is one or less skulls?

Is this by design, or have I turbo hosed my game?

Huh. This just happened to me too, so there might be a bug in the milestone change (and even if that gets fixed then we might both need to reload a save from before Newgrange, sigh.)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eej posted:

It's a joke because their transgression was to increase the size of their Labourer class

Ah. I seemed to vaguely recall that they had some more inclinations towards individual freedoms and democratic types of governance, rather than autocratic "obey Nicky" stuff, so was wondering about that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i went all glassy eyed while people were posting about battletech lore, execept for where someone used the phrase “waluigi of battletech”

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cowcaster posted:

i went all glassy eyed while people were posting about battletech lore, execept for where someone used the phrase “waluigi of battletech”

I stand by it being an apt description of the FWL :colbert: and I like the faction.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

As someone who backed this and chose GoG as my platform are the percentages next to achievements the percentage of GoG players that have gotten said achievement?

If so I feel special in that I appear to be one of the first to get the "swarm of locusts" one already. I decided to take 4 1M models (the ones with 2 lrm 5s, and also poo poo armour but I still won) and I set the enemy lance to be 2 locusts, a spider, and a cicada. I loving capped one of the locusts early and the spider decided to DFA one of my dudes so I blew his legs up that round :getin:

After that and I got some lucky weapon crits on the remaining locust and the cicada they didn't even really fight back against my heavily scarred 3 locusts. I was actually surprised how smooth it went since with how little armour the 1M locust has they were basically exposed if they took one medium laser hit.

I decided to get that "fight with less than 4 mechs against a full lance" one as well by being a cheap gently caress and taking an Awesome, a King Crab, and an Atlas against a full 25m Assault lance layout. I did not lose a single mech and my crab loving cored the enemy Vindicator after 2 rounds :black101: also even with those 3 hefty boys I was still out weighed by about 4m. They also knocked down my Atlas once and other than that it would have been a flawless victory too :(

What I'm saying is skirmish mode is fun and I can barely wait until I have steady enough internet to try playing against real people, goons or other :hellyeah:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I just spent two hours reading the Battletech wiki and all I have to say is:

Numlock posted:

Everything past 3048 is a mistake.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Sonderval posted:

Think my game might be a bit broken ish, applied the milestone change, did the second Smithson mission, now every planet is one or less skulls?

Is this by design, or have I turbo hosed my game?

I've been playing the game offline during my vacation for the last week. What's this milestone change?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you think triple strength myomer is wrong, you're dead to me.

Because I just sent an overheating Berserker's axe clean through your center torso.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Tindahbawx posted:

No BBS's are lostech.

Chatrooms are exclusive clan tech.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The lost and elusive AOL disk.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Trip report:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/927056706499324183/205E836D76617CB7127B32415DCF0FCB7B86454E/

TOTALLY WORKS.

Only downside is that you get Stability damage with each DFA. Otherwise, you can just Chain Stomp enemies nonstop.

Followup:

It doesn't work as well as I thought it was at first. You can crush, like, two to three mechs pretty reliably. As long as you remember to pop vigilance every round it's pretty effective. But once your leg gets damaged you're basically useless. Still a fun gimmick though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone else aware of a recent problem where the game crashes on startup?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Had to restart my computer to make it work but haven't had it happen in a while.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No, but it looks like a patch just dropped. 791MB

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yup, it seems to me semi common since the previous patch.

A new patch dropped like just this second so hopefully that helps. I got yet another one of those memory error crashes during a mission load. Patched, and oh hey it loaded the game without me having to reboot my PC first and it loaded up the mission fairly quick.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

can we calculate what 791MB is in units of comstar memory cores

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you're running a GTX --60 or --70, and when you try to run anything else after it happens you get errors like "Direct3D not installed" it's an issue with NVidia's latest driver.

krylon666
Nov 7, 2011
I'm still like 80 pages behind in the thread, but I wanted some advice on what mechs to move to next. Specifically, I feel like I'm not providing Glitch with a nice enough ride. The prison was my last story mission, just been roaming and upgrading the Argo since. My current setup:

PC in Centurion (SRM6s, ML, SL, 1000+ pts of armor) - loving love this mech. Wish I had more.
Behemoth in Enforcer or Kintaro
Glitch still in her Vindicator (upgraded to PPC++)
Mothman in a Shadowhawk turned LRM boat (LRM20/15/5, 3 tons ammo, poo poo for armor)

Things have been going well, PC and Behemoth will get in close while Glitch snipes and Mothman rains stability death. Only have a Jagermech as a heavy and I'm not really stoked on it, so it's been all mediums so far. What's a good move for Glitch (Guns2/Guts) as a sniper? I've been pushing tactics to get the bonuses in that tree.

I was surprised to see how little armor some of the Heavies had considering how well armored the Centurion is. I can really tank poo poo well right now, and unleash hell with all those missiles.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Followup:

It doesn't work as well as I thought it was at first. You can crush, like, two to three mechs pretty reliably. As long as you remember to pop vigilance every round it's pretty effective. But once your leg gets damaged you're basically useless. Still a fun gimmick though.

Move your right arm armor to your legs.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Could someone repost how to increase the number of contracts per world?

Does the change take effect without restarting the campaign?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

No, but it looks like a patch just dropped. 791MB

Time to update my VersionManifest, again. Come on HBS, slack off a little!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KPC_Mammon posted:

Move your right arm armor to your legs.

Oh, I actually noticed and did that before I actually played the build, that SS is just the one I happened to have.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
I loaded up a save and killed my target and guards and no objectives in the top left or evac zone. I know this one is hosed, but has anyone seen this and does it mean my save of the mission is hosed or is it just this round cause it didnt trigger something?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The funniest thing about the Word of Blake is that they're so crazy obsessed with the religion they've built up that when their prophecy falls through, they react by shooting every successor state.

But let's pull back for a moment to see how it gets even more hilarious. I don't know the precise details but they had a protectorate state sponsored by the FWL (they had basically already taken over Comstar duties in the FWL and there's the aforementioned tie between their leader and his body double that ruled the FWL) to join the reformed Star League but rather than vote the successor states basically say nah and the Star League dissolves. Their prophecy apparently involved joining or being acknowledged by the Star League or something. So their reaction to this is by sending warships and dropships to every successor state capital and start an attack. To somehow force them at gunpoint to reconvene another meeting of the now-dissolved Star League so they can vote on the Word of Blake protectorate's membership.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I loaded up a save and killed my target and guards and no objectives in the top left or evac zone. I know this one is hosed, but has anyone seen this and does it mean my save of the mission is hosed or is it just this round cause it didnt trigger something?

Try looking for any turrets?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Chatrooms are exclusive clan tech.

Clan Sea Fox invented internet forums and proceeded to dunk on another clan so much online that the butthurt Khan of that clan genetically engineered a super shark that hunted sea foxes to extinction. So Clan Sea Fox just said "Neat, those sharks are pretty cool", renamed themselves Clan Diamond Shark and continued to poo poo post.

Clan Diamond Shark is pretty chill.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Clan Sea Fox invented internet forums and proceeded to dunk on another clan so much online that the butthurt Khan of that clan genetically engineered a super shark that hunted sea foxes to extinction. So Clan Sea Fox just said "Neat, those sharks are pretty cool", renamed themselves Clan Diamond Shark and continued to poo poo post.

Clan Diamond Shark is pretty chill.

Clan Diamond Shark invented the Mad Cat Mk II so they are automatically alright dudes

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So any idea what the patch fixed?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I haven't picked up any heavies, yet. I'm running four medium mechs and breaking poo poo left and right up through the drop ship kill mission.

Centurion: 3x LRM10
3x LRM ammo
2x Medium Laser
1x Small Laser

Centurion: 3x SRM6
2x SRM ammo
2x Medium Laser
1x Machine Gun
1x Machine Gun ammo

Trebuchet: 1x LRM10
1x LRM20+++ (increased stability damage and accuracy)
3x LRM ammo

Hunchback: 1x AC20
2x AC20 ammo
2x Medium Laser
1x Small Laser

Missile boat Centurion and Trenchbucket lay back and drop missile swarms. SRM Centurion and Hunchback get close and hit hard, relying on max frontal armor and Bulwark to tank hits. Judicious use of Inspiration abilities and knockdown to push enemies around on the initiative order lets me keep the most threatening hostiles marginalized.

This is proving startlingly effective. I picked apart an Orion, a Jagermech, and a Cataphract with this team, and the only thing I lost was a Centurion's punching arm. Right now I'm sitting on parts for two different kinds of Jagermech, two kinds of Orions, two kinds of Quickdraw, a Cataphract and a Dragon ... and no Heavy mechs. Hell.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Mordja posted:

Release 1.0.2 Notes, 5/4/2018

Fixes to video player codec behavior to resolve .dll access violations that were causing consistent video player crashes for a small set of users.

Memory management improvements.

Fixing issues with the Valhalla Shadow Hawk variant failing to load in missions when selected.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Mordja posted:

Patch Notes posted:

Release 1.0.2 Notes, 5/4/2018
Fixes to video player codec behavior to resolve .dll access violations that were causing consistent video player crashes for a small set of users.

Memory management improvements.

Fixing issues with the Valhalla Shadow Hawk variant failing to load in missions when selected.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Man you guys are way overthinking all this lore poo poo. You wanna know the reason the Clans are way cooler and will always be way cooler? Chicken leg mechs. It's just math, idiots: Chicken leg mechs are cooler. Clans have more chicken leg mechs than Inner Sphere. Therefore, Clans are cooler. Wow I loving figured it out!

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

The Saddest Robot posted:

Try looking for any turrets?

Nope and I reloaded and the battle was still hosed after killing the target and everyone else, just loaded the arrival at planet auto save, hope this one works.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

AttackBacon posted:

Man you guys are way overthinking all this lore poo poo. You wanna know the reason the Clans are way cooler and will always be way cooler? Chicken leg mechs. It's just math, idiots: Chicken leg mechs are cooler. Clans have more chicken leg mechs than Inner Sphere. Therefore, Clans are cooler. Wow I loving figured it out!

The Clans were the Tetatae all along?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cowcaster posted:

can we calculate what 791MB is in units of comstar memory cores

1079.978667 sections on KF drives alone!

Ciaphas posted:

How do you all go about deciding how to fit new-to-you 'Mechs?

I kind of had a discussion last night in the Discord about this, about comparing armor and speed and available tonnage, but it's still not sitting very well in my head. Makes me feel like I'm doing it consistently wrong, even if I'm not.

I take a look at hardpoints and try to shove 4 PPCs in it no matter what. When that doesn't work (0% success rate so far!) I just experiment a lot. Shove in a bunch of MLs and ask does this feel okay, shove in some heatsinks, take those out, see how many SRM6s I can fit, take those out, try to see how many LRMs I can shove in.... Basically just try some fits for roles (laserboat, SRM brawler, sniper, LRMs) and see what comes out best. And then I take it to a mission and if it sucks I make Yang do more work. :shrug:

some of them are pretty obvious on hardpoints; like a Black Knight is obviously a laserboat where you shove in as many heatsinks as you can without stripping out armor, but for most I've just started experimenting enough to get ideas.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 5, 2018

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

AttackBacon posted:

I'm with this guy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, the clans have lots of chickenlegs. You know what the clans don't have a lot of?

FISTS

And a chicken leg is pathetic if you wanna deliver a good, strong kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, the clans have lots of chickenlegs. You know what the clans don't have a lot of?

FISTS

And a chicken leg is pathetic if you wanna deliver a good, strong kick.

Death Ahead