Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You were H&R CALL COPS CALL INSURANCE please man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah fuckin raise hell for this lady, gently caress people who cause accidents for cyclists and gently caress her for running

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

everdave posted:

If he doesn't have insurance, he needs to call a PI lawyer. Not even kidding.
Please note that this isn't my first advice when you have health insurance, but without it, please start talking to PI lawyers tomorrow. I can even see if a friend of a friend who was a lawyer in PHX until recently has any recommendations if you want.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

How do you guys in the US deal with long drives? What should I be doing to make it more bearable?

I’ve just done 560 Miles (France to the UK) and I’ve got another 70 to go to get home. It was at about 500 Miles when I think I hit the wall and started questioning my life choices.

I’m used to doing long drives in the UK to get to work - but that is a max of 200 Miles each way which doesn’t seem so bad with a day of work in the middle.

Also google maps took me via the back roads across the Somme to avoid tolls. At 10:30pm as the fog rolls in it’s an impressively atmospheric drive. Would recommend.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tomarse posted:

How do you guys in the US deal with long drives? What should I be doing to make it more bearable?

I’ve just done 560 Miles (France to the UK) and I’ve got another 70 to go to get home. It was at about 500 Miles when I think I hit the wall and started questioning my life choices.

I’m used to doing long drives in the UK to get to work - but that is a max of 200 Miles each way which doesn’t seem so bad with a day of work in the middle.

Also google maps took me via the back roads across the Somme to avoid tolls. At 10:30pm as the fog rolls in it’s an impressively atmospheric drive. Would recommend.

Books on tape.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tomarse posted:

200 years is a long time to us Americans. 200 miles long way to y’all. Man 500 miles is a quick day drive down to Florida for me but yeah podcasts or whatever man!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomarse posted:

I used to love long road trips. These days if I have to drive more than an hour I get twitchy as all hell. But podcasts are your friend.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Longest I've ever done was 14 hours in a single drive (with a couple stops of course) in a single day, in my 2013 Golf R, freshly broken in, and a bottomless pit of synthwave music. Drove up from Florida to Michigan and actually had a good time though I don't ever want to do it again.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

14 hours florida to texas. Stop, walk around for a bit at a gas station, then get in, roll the windows down and crank the tunes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Longest I've ever done was 14 hours in a single drive (with a couple stops of course) in a single day, in my 2013 Golf R, freshly broken in, and a bottomless pit of synthwave music. Drove up from Florida to Michigan and actually had a good time though I don't ever want to do it again.

I did Seattle to Sioux Falls only stopping for gas. Then SF to just past Valparaiso, IN before I had to pull over and sleep.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

everdave posted:

I have already dealt with the police. I am waiting for a report to be generated in the system so I can get her information. I just finished filing an online addendum with photos showing the bike is bent up (they were only concerned with the handlebars at the time, we didn't know that the bike was unrideable). If $200 is spendy for a new bike right now, I don't think I could afford a lawyer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tomarse posted:

Best thing for a long drive is a good car. Staying fresh for a long as possible really helps, no amout of radio or audiobooks is gonna help if you are majorily uncomfortble. But hell even then there's a limit - 14 hours Adelaide to Sydne,y I wanted to neck myself about two hours from home.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've done a lot of long road trips, LA to Winnipeg in 4 days, Winnipeg to Banff in a day, Winnipeg to Toronto in 2 days, best thing is to get in the right mindset. If you accept that it's going to be a long drive I find it's not too bad. I usually broke up the trips with quick stops along the way to take in the sights when the route allowed (going through the prairies can be very monotonous though). Make it about the journey and not just the destination and you'll have a good time. Good variety of music with a reasonably large playlist helps, I personally haven't tried audiobooks but it was nice taking a car with satellite radio on some of these trips and listening to the comedy channels to break up listening to just music.

It's definitely a mindset thing as I can be eagerly awaiting a drive out to the rockies but can dread a 3-4hr drive down to ND for a weekend.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
E: even lovely lawyers like L&R do it on contingency, hmmm. Gonna give a few places a call tomorrow.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tomarse posted:

Loud radio, lots of caffeine, and a co-driver if at all possible. Pull over to nap when you start getting tired.

I used to do 1k and change miles from Texas to Iowa a couple times a year as a straight through run, and generally it was more of an endurance test to see if my rear end would start cramping before Oklahoma and Kansas made me start praying for the sweet release of death out of sheer boredom.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

E: even lovely lawyers like L&R do it on contingency, hmmm. Gonna give a few places a call tomorrow.

God drat you just had to type their initials and the loving jingle popped in my head.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I called them (they have 24 hour BS and I wanted a warm-up for a real lawyer) and they asked how I heard of them. No joke, I said "that annoying loving jingle" and the rep chuckled.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cripes, what a weekend. And not in a good way.

Went to Austin to help GF move. While there, I found out a friend died... a loving month ago. Only found out when I wondered why I hadn't heard from him so long, wandered to his facebook page, saw he hadn't posted in a month (which is very unusual for him, he usually posts several times a day), then wandered to his husband's FB (not FB buddies with him, though I've met him before). Didn't expect to see funeral details for a funeral that happened a month ago. Really didn't expect to find graphic detail of how he died. :sigh: (he had a liver transplant last year, guessing complications got him from what was described, but jfc the description has given me nightmare fuel for a long time). Definitely has given me a bad case of sad brains (and nightmares). :smith:

rdb posted:

Went to mow yesterday and my 4 year old, 140 hour scag mower with a briggs dropped a valve. Right in front of my most aggressive beehive. Went to take it to a shop today since I am working 12 hour days and found my trailer had 2 flats. Pumped them up, one was a cracked valve stem. Spent 30 minutes breaking the bead. Got it fixed, decided to pressure wash the mower before taking it in. Pressure washer tossed a rod (honda GX390). I give up on today because I ran out of swear words.

Who the gently caress did you piss on in a previous life? :stare:

Making some pickled eggs right now. Never done it before but I've got a lot of eggs to use up and a few gallon pickle jars so :shrug:. Can't be that hard - salt, vinegar, water, and garlic/onions. Hopefully I don't gently caress it up.

Reminds me, I thought of Dave/OZZYMANDICKWHATEVER when I ran across these on my way to Austin on Friday.

Tremek, how many times will you stab me if I send a case of these to 14" Dave? :v:

my stepdad's family used to own the company that did these... along with the store they're sold from.. no relation anymore though

Tomarse posted:

.... I can drive that many miles and still be in the same state. :allears: (I'm about 650 miles from my home town)

(podcasts help a lot)

My GF is about 200 miles away at the moment... every time I drive back I find new and interesting ways to get lost, on purpose, just to explore small town :clint: Texas. Too bad I have absolutely no mobile service once I'm a mile or two off of major roads when in BFE, so Google Maps becomes useless if I deviate from what it wants me to do.

KakerMix posted:

I think my worst was 16 or 18 hours, for the same ~650 mile drive across TX that normally takes ~10 hours (I've done it in 7 before, including fuel, bathroom, and meal stops *cough*).

This was in a 200k+ 1988 Honda Accord, and before cellphones were affordable; family was a little alarmed that I took so long to get across the state (and wouldn't accept collect calls :fuckoff:). "so uh hey pops you did see that bit where I-10 was shut down due to ice, right? and remember those collect calls you kept refusing? that was me when I got stranded at a truck stop in the middle of loving nowhere".

I'm doing ~200 mile drives (each way) every ~3 weeks right now, and I dig it once I get the hell out of DFW. Especially now that the speed limit outside of major cities is generally 75 MPH on I-35. I really need to either get a stand-alone GPS, download offline maps for the entire state for Google Maps, or resort to a printed map.

Pretty much every ambulance chaser/personal injury lawyer works on contingency. Expect them to want ~1/3 of any settlement, but they'll add attorneys fees to it. Basing this on my own experience, anyway. And yeah, when they asked me how I heard about them, "you guys pay <local radio talk show host> to do 100 endorsements every loving day!", which got a laugh out of the rep.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...also in a war of cars vs bicycles, cars usually win because cyclists are almost always assholes. You've heard of stories where a driver murders a cyclist, and as long as the driver is doe-eyed they get off with, at most, a fine.

For some reason having a driver's license is pretty much also a license to kill another human with your car. It's honestly incredible the amount of contempt your average human being has for a cyclist while they're driving a car... I mean we've had perfect examples of it in here where some of our posters just decide to openly talk about 'death to all cyclists' all because one went through a red light in front of them.

I'm sorry you're hurt dude and I'm also sorry your country is so loving broken that healthcare still isn't a thing for everyone. If it makes you feel any better I nearly got my life ended by a Prius on my way to work yesterday, I tootle on the cycle paths round here and hit the crossing button. Light goes red, I wait a second because drivers don't like to stop sometimes and then roll out. At the last possible second I hear an engine still spinning away, look over and manage to brake and turn enough to avoid getting my front wheel taken out from under me. ...but y'know, all cyclists are inherently evil and must be destroyed etc etc.

You should totally claim for that though, gently caress the cops.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

For some reason having a driver's license is pretty much also a license to kill another human with your car. It's honestly incredible the amount of contempt your average human being has for a cyclist while they're driving a car... I mean we've had perfect examples of it in here where some of our posters just decide to openly talk about 'death to all cyclists' all because one went through a red light in front of them.
The problem is, people are stupid. They don't understand that cyclists are just road users, they have this idea that they're some kind of wheeled pedestrian interloper who shouldn't be on the road.

But that's very similar to the attitude cyclists take that I think is at the root of many issues - they don't think like vehicles.

Loads of drivers need to get their head out their arse and accept other road users having the right to be there.

Loads of cyclists need to accept the rules apply to them, and doing things like blatantly running reds will get you killed. I'm not particularly sympathetic when they do and it does.

It's entirely possible to find the middle ground: Everyone has equal right to use the road, equal responsibility to obey the rules, and is equally capable of being a loving clown.

What really matters is the consequences of loving up. A car driver has much greater chance of harming others, so it's right that we be more concerned with their actions. But a cyclist who gets themselves killed by being an idiot should not be blamed on anyone except themselves.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cheers guys, I think i'll find some audio books and podcasts for next time. I did have lots of decent tunes and good online radio (when the 4G wasn't dropping out behind hills!) until 7pm when I ran out of decent programs. It was when it got dark that it got less enjoyable.
I think perhaps because I was driving the back roads it is a mission to keep at the speed limit all the time - especially in the dark when your headlights point the wrong way. I got speed camera'd once (missed a 70-50 speed drop and was distracted by the kmph/mph conversion). Kind of interested to see if they get a fine back to me!

I do love driving the car :) It has just the right amount of power and makes appropriate noises at the right times and has cruise control. I had the roof open pretty much all the time, and it was surprisingly comfortable. No arse ache whatsoever but my arms did start to ache eventually. I'm not sure if this is wholly the cars fault though as I also now get RSI after using the computer too much.

STR posted:

.... I can drive that many miles and still be in the same state. :allears: (I'm about 650 miles from my home town)

(podcasts help a lot)

Having now just spent quite a while driving around France - which I think is very similar to parts of the USA in terms of road layout and population/town distribution (I've only driven across PA in the US and France is definitely surprisingly similar!) I actually really appreciate the proximity of everything in the UK.
I go to a lot of gigs and I can hit pretty much any UK venue within 2 hours. I think you are hosed for that if you live in any large country, and largely hosed for seeing as many bands as I can easily unless you live in a large city...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

drat, I'm having issues driving in this weather with no heater core, if I run the a/c at all it makes all my windows fog up on the outside. Not looking forward at all to ripping my dash apart but it's looking more and more inevitable.

Also re weather, why the gently caress are Bosch Icons the most bipolar wiper blades around? Either they last three years without so much as streaking like the last set I put on the Mazda, or they start skipping horribly after two months like my current set.

car SUCKS! i HATE car

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They're oddballs. The ones on my mazda streak weirdly when dealing with fogged windows, but works perfectly in the rain. Either way, they have 1 year warranties, use it. :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Loads of cyclists need to accept the rules apply to them, and doing things like blatantly running reds will get you killed. I'm not particularly sympathetic when they do and it does.

I might as well point out that in a growing list of countries / states, cyclists are allowed to treat red lights as a give way, are allowed to lane split and also allowed to use footpaths where judged to be too dangerous to use the road.

The reason for this change is that stopping at a red can be quite dangerous - mixing it with thick traffic and not being seen, the risk of being rear ended etc. Also there is the cases where induction loops wont detect you and thence you are stuck for a long time even if the opposing road is clear. Even for a rider like me, with a godawful amount of kms and a lot of street smart from riding in one of the worst cities for a bicycle, red lights are are a real safety concern either stopping or blowing. I most certainly do obey lights but sometimes I get this hosed up choice of remaining in heavy traffic that is high risk or deliberatly break the law and go for the footpath so I get to ride another day. Or one intersection where I consistently dont get seen by the induction loop to turn left. My choices are wait for the traffic to be clear and go for it, OR equally illegally use a pedestian only path.

Or even obey the traffic direction and get funnelled onto a fuckign three lane 90kph highway. Noooooooooooooooooope.

The root problem is that in so many cities, pedestrian and cycling infrastruture is godawful and even dangerous. There's bike only lanes here that put the fear of God into me when I use them due to dickhead drivers or how badly built they are, let alone the aforementioned rear end in a top hat drivers that dont respect the rights of cyclists to get home alive... or funnel you into a million pedestrians. For fucks sake -_-

Okay yes, there's absolute idiot cyclists like one a few days ago thought they were racing and thence in an effort to stay ahead nearly got taken out three times (and I'm just cruising watching in horror) but the real problem really isnt twats like that because the stats show gently caress all cyclists get cleaned up breaking reds. I'ts the idiots on phones or other distracted driving that in close quarters are the ones that king hit innocent cyclists.

TBH I would really also prefer to NOT take the lane but there's times where my instinct to be polite and considerate gets overridden by want to survive

I think a big problem is that cyclists are usually drivers and can appreciate what a car does. But nto all drivers are cyclists and dont have a clue that I'm not being an rear end in a top hat taking a lane, I'm doing it so I get seen and I can get home alive.

The real solution is proper cycling infrastructure but good loving luck with that esp. in this shithole of a city I ride in. Victoria BC was a wet dream - so many people cycle BECAUSE the infrastructure allowed it

TL:DR - Sure dickhead cyclists exist but there's more problems a cyclist has to consider when riding to get home safely where infrastructure is against them. The fact is that even when you are the innocent party (and you will be in 85-90% of the times), when a car meet a bicycle, the bicycle WILL lose and lose badly. You need to ride to that fact sometimes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

The problem is, people are stupid. They don't understand that cyclists are just road users, they have this idea that they're some kind of wheeled pedestrian interloper who shouldn't be on the road.

But that's very similar to the attitude cyclists take that I think is at the root of many issues - they don't think like vehicles.

Loads of drivers need to get their head out their arse and accept other road users having the right to be there.

It's entirely possible to find the middle ground: Everyone has equal right to use the road, equal responsibility to obey the rules, and is equally capable of being a loving clown.

What really matters is the consequences of loving up. A car driver has much greater chance of harming others, so it's right that we be more concerned with their actions. But a cyclist who gets themselves killed by being an idiot should not be blamed on anyone except themselves.

Yup, I'm in agreement particularly about cyclists not thinking like drivers. Like I said I cycle to work every day and there's only maybe 30% of it I do on road as there's a park and cycle paths for the rest of it, those road sections are places I can go fast enough not to get in the way. I see cyclists on the road doing about 10mph on a 40mph road with a line of cars behind them and I myself get annoyed by it as I'm just pootling past on the designated cycle path which has been lovingly provided.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I wish sometimes I had the choice of a path. I should GoPro my run thru Sydney.... itll scare the piss out of other cyclists just how hosed cycling infrastructure is here

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm really lucky in that a fair amount of my commute is cycle pathable. I read something about Holland yesterday where this one town has banned cars from anywhere but the outskirts and I want to go there just to see what it's like.

Oh and this popped up for me today too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-44200961/woman-drives-car-through-half-marathon-in-plymouth

quote:

A woman drove her car into the path of runners at the Plymouth Half Marathon, saying she had a workshop to get to.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MGS, hope you're alright and can nail those fuckers. That sucks. :(

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Tomarse posted:

cheers guys, I think i'll find some audio books and podcasts for next time. I did have lots of decent tunes and good online radio (when the 4G wasn't dropping out behind hills!) until 7pm when I ran out of decent programs. It was when it got dark that it got less enjoyable.
I think perhaps because I was driving the back roads it is a mission to keep at the speed limit all the time - especially in the dark when your headlights point the wrong way. I got speed camera'd once (missed a 70-50 speed drop and was distracted by the kmph/mph conversion). Kind of interested to see if they get a fine back to me!

I do love driving the car :) It has just the right amount of power and makes appropriate noises at the right times and has cruise control. I had the roof open pretty much all the time, and it was surprisingly comfortable. No arse ache whatsoever but my arms did start to ache eventually. I'm not sure if this is wholly the cars fault though as I also now get RSI after using the computer too much.

Having now just spent quite a while driving around France - which I think is very similar to parts of the USA in terms of road layout and population/town distribution (I've only driven across PA in the US and France is definitely surprisingly similar!) I actually really appreciate the proximity of everything in the UK.
I go to a lot of gigs and I can hit pretty much any UK venue within 2 hours. I think you are hosed for that if you live in any large country, and largely hosed for seeing as many bands as I can easily unless you live in a large city...

Here's a podcast suggestion that I recently found out about : Pounded in the Butt by my own Podcast.
If you ever wanted to know what was in the Chuck Tingle books you now can.

Longest drive I made last year was from just outside Preston to Salisbury and back in a day to visit an ex-Russian spy to see the Terry Pratchett "His World" exhibit. It was well worth it and somehow I didn't encounter any traffic jams the entire trip.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Argh, loving DVLA (the UK version of the DMV).

2 months ago I posted about how easy the process of getting my vehicle registration documents updated/corrected seemed and I sent the DVLA all the documents they asked for. All were original copies as required. There was a factory build certificate (cost me £48) and my original V5 registration document and a stamped & addressed envelope for them to send it back to me (£1.50), plus the required photos and chassis number rubbings.
Was specifically told to not send them as recorded/signed for delivery as it adds an extra few weeks to their processing time for some reason.

After 6 weeks it appears that the DVLA have lost all my documents so I have to send them again, so this will now cost me another £33.50 for a replacement factory build certificate plus a bonus
£25 for them to first replace the V5 document that they have lost (and an extra form for this)

I have a copy of the old incorrect V5 reg document which I can send them but this apparently isn't good enough. They need me to pay the £25 for them to 're-issue' the old incorrect one it before they can correct it for me and then issue an updated one!

because I didn't send it as signed for/recorded delivery and only have a 'proof of posting' document I will only get £20 back from the postal insurance. This time is it going as signed for delivery and i'm going to chase the bastards every few days to see where it has got to.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Enourmo posted:

drat, I'm having issues driving in this weather with no heater core, if I run the a/c at all it makes all my windows fog up on the outside. Not looking forward at all to ripping my dash apart but it's looking more and more inevitable.

Also re weather, why the gently caress are Bosch Icons the most bipolar wiper blades around? Either they last three years without so much as streaking like the last set I put on the Mazda, or they start skipping horribly after two months like my current set.

car SUCKS! i HATE car

I have a heater core, but my poo poo won't switch to the dash vents so it doesn't really matter. I put some of that anti fog poo poo for goggles in front of the driver seat, and just wipe it every morning. Works well enough.

Also, I've done Tampa to San Diego and the return trip 4 times in the last 5 years. gently caress that noise. Last time was 2.5 days, by myself, because gently caress that drive.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Despite the fact that they have lost all my docs for one landrover, the other landrover now has this. not a totally poo poo day :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Enourmo posted:

car SUCKS! i HATE car

gave up on bosch's after just one pair, definitely not worth the premium price

PIAA silicone wipers are absolutely worth the premium though

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I might as well point out that in a growing list of countries / states, cyclists are allowed to treat red lights as a give way, are allowed to lane split and also allowed to use footpaths where judged to be too dangerous to use the road.

The reason for this change is that stopping at a red can be quite dangerous - mixing it with thick traffic and not being seen, the risk of being rear ended etc. Also there is the cases where induction loops wont detect you and thence you are stuck for a long time even if the opposing road is clear. Even for a rider like me, with a godawful amount of kms and a lot of street smart from riding in one of the worst cities for a bicycle, red lights are are a real safety concern either stopping or blowing. I most certainly do obey lights but sometimes I get this hosed up choice of remaining in heavy traffic that is high risk or deliberatly break the law and go for the footpath so I get to ride another day. Or one intersection where I consistently dont get seen by the induction loop to turn left. My choices are wait for the traffic to be clear and go for it, OR equally illegally use a pedestian only path.

Or even obey the traffic direction and get funnelled onto a fuckign three lane 90kph highway. Noooooooooooooooooope.

The root problem is that in so many cities, pedestrian and cycling infrastruture is godawful and even dangerous. There's bike only lanes here that put the fear of God into me when I use them due to dickhead drivers or how badly built they are, let alone the aforementioned rear end in a top hat drivers that dont respect the rights of cyclists to get home alive... or funnel you into a million pedestrians. For fucks sake -_-

Okay yes, there's absolute idiot cyclists like one a few days ago thought they were racing and thence in an effort to stay ahead nearly got taken out three times (and I'm just cruising watching in horror) but the real problem really isnt twats like that because the stats show gently caress all cyclists get cleaned up breaking reds. I'ts the idiots on phones or other distracted driving that in close quarters are the ones that king hit innocent cyclists.

TBH I would really also prefer to NOT take the lane but there's times where my instinct to be polite and considerate gets overridden by want to survive

I think a big problem is that cyclists are usually drivers and can appreciate what a car does. But nto all drivers are cyclists and dont have a clue that I'm not being an rear end in a top hat taking a lane, I'm doing it so I get seen and I can get home alive.

The real solution is proper cycling infrastructure but good loving luck with that esp. in this shithole of a city I ride in. Victoria BC was a wet dream - so many people cycle BECAUSE the infrastructure allowed it

TL:DR - Sure dickhead cyclists exist but there's more problems a cyclist has to consider when riding to get home safely where infrastructure is against them. The fact is that even when you are the innocent party (and you will be in 85-90% of the times), when a car meet a bicycle, the bicycle WILL lose and lose badly. You need to ride to that fact sometimes.

You should see some of the insane roads people choose to ride on here in the Adelaide Hills. 80kph road, twisty with bad sight lines, No run off room? Sure!
https://goo.gl/maps/2o5h1HQh5vs

100kph country roads with heavy vehicle traffic and no shoulders? Sure!
https://goo.gl/maps/KbJ8MZM55bz

80kph road, No shoulders, Literal rock face against the road on one side, armco and a river on the other side? Sure! Ride 2 abreast for maximum effect!
https://goo.gl/maps/KAgZgVLHHik

Im all for sharing the road and people cycling for whatever reason they want, but mother of god they pick some loving stupid places to do it! You come around a corner on one of those hills roads doing 60-70kph and theres a cyclist working their way up the hill in front of you doing 10-15kph, and theres oncoming traffic, things are gonna get ugly fast.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe people shouldn't be outdriving their sight lines, then. There could just as easily be a rock or some lost cargo on the road.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe people shouldn't be outdriving their sight lines, then. There could just as easily be a rock or some lost cargo on the road.

Or already an accident behind the corner.
Stop driving like an idiot. If stopped traffic would make you cause an accident, you're not driving to conditions.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Dealerships :allears:

https://twitter.com/MarciRobin/status/998030243981033472

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

When I first got my xB I bought some expensive silicone blades and they sucked rear end from day one, so I ordered a set of OEM blades and they are perfect, going to order OEM blade refills from now on. Same for the Lexus LS, people on the Lexus forums were saying nothing is better than OEM for wiper blades, refills are cheap so gently caress the fancy silicone bullshit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I wish sometimes I had the choice of a path. I should GoPro my run thru Sydney.... itll scare the piss out of other cyclists just how hosed cycling infrastructure is here

You should probably use a camera all the time. Maybe not a GoPro, but a cheap run/action cam used as a dashcam for when some idiot inevitably plows into you. I hate that this seems like a good idea, but increasingly folks seem uninterested in driving like a sane person.

Tomarse posted:

Argh, loving DVLA (the UK version of the DMV).

2 months ago I posted about how easy the process of getting my vehicle registration documents updated/corrected seemed and I sent the DVLA all the documents they asked for. All were original copies as required. There was a factory build certificate (cost me £48) and my original V5 registration document and a stamped & addressed envelope for them to send it back to me (£1.50), plus the required photos and chassis number rubbings.
Was specifically told to not send them as recorded/signed for delivery as it adds an extra few weeks to their processing time for some reason.

After 6 weeks it appears that the DVLA have lost all my documents so I have to send them again, so this will now cost me another £33.50 for a replacement factory build certificate plus a bonus
£25 for them to first replace the V5 document that they have lost (and an extra form for this)

I have a copy of the old incorrect V5 reg document which I can send them but this apparently isn't good enough. They need me to pay the £25 for them to 're-issue' the old incorrect one it before they can correct it for me and then issue an updated one!

because I didn't send it as signed for/recorded delivery and only have a 'proof of posting' document I will only get £20 back from the postal insurance. This time is it going as signed for delivery and i'm going to chase the bastards every few days to see where it has got to.

That's a fantastic example of bureaucracy in action inaction.

What if I identify as a robot, jerks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
that is hilarious

• Locked thread