Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

KingKapalone posted:

In setting up this new Denon 1400, my TV should be using the ARC HDMI port to connect to it so I can keep getting surround sound from my 4k apps, right?

Correct, but most tvs will only do it once you enable HDMI-CEC on both your TV & AVR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I can get a local deal on a subwoofer but, with it not being a well known brand, I can't find any reviews or impressions online. Does this spec sheet tell anyone here anything by chance?

Regular price is 250 and the sale price is 200.

Holy crap, that thing is garbage. Why would anyone spend $200 on that? The manufacturer didn't even care enough to lie to make it look good like the other garbage brands.

Edit: they rated the speaker sensitivity at +0/-0.5dB. Who DOES that? It's like advertising a 0-60 time tested with a rhino on the roof.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if 100mm is the diameter of the woofer or the radius because that's like... 4 inches. I mean, they literally used the diameter symbol for it but... gently caress IDK man. :psyduck:

Are we sure this is a SUBwoofer and not a woofer/midrange? It actually has decent specs for a midrange driver but why is it self powered and who would buy just a mid range? So many questions. Please give us a link.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 20, 2018

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Incessant Excess posted:

I can get a local deal on a subwoofer but, with it not being a well known brand, I can't find any reviews or impressions online. Does this spec sheet tell anyone here anything by chance?

Regular price is 250 and the sale price is 200.

Here's a budget subwoofer that is much better at everything for the same price. **I have only ever heard the 700 a few levels up their line, so can't really give a first hand impression but it can't be worse than what you posted.

https://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-...in+logan+dynamo

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wibla posted:

Get a used SVS instead of that thing, it looks like a pile of poo poo.

That pile of poo poo actually quotes tolerance for the frequency response, something many major manufacturers won't do :eng99:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

DoesNotCompute posted:

Here's a budget subwoofer that is much better at everything for the same price. **I have only ever heard the 700 a few levels up their line, so can't really give a first hand impression but it can't be worse than what you posted.

https://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-...in+logan+dynamo

spec from M-L:

quote:

Dynamo 300 Specifications
Specifications are subject to change without notice

Frequency Response

32–150 Hz ±3dB; Anechoic through LFE effects input

Low Pass Filter Frequency

45–150 Hz

Low Frequency Transducer

8" (25.4cm) high excursion, polypropylene cone with extended throw drive assembly; ported

Amplifier

75 watts rms (150 watts peak)

Impedance

Left & Right/LFE RCA: 10,000 Ohms Left & Right Speaker Level: 10,000 Ohms Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers.

Inputs

Left and Right/LFE RCA line level, Left and Right speaker level

Weight

21.5 lbs. (9.8 kg)

Dimensions Down-Firing Orientation

14.15" x 12.6" x 13.75 "
(36cm x 32cm x 35cm)

sounds pretty decent (so to speak) for 200 bucks

e: ofc who is to say it isn't also down half a dB at 65 Hz as well :v:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Or you could get two Polk PSW10s for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KVQBA/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
A lot of the linked subwoofers aren't available in my region unfortunately, would any of these brands warrant a closer look:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Klipsch.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Also Jamo and Yamaha, although all Yamahas cheap models are bad. I've also yet to see a worthwhile wireless sub from them. If you check you Yamaha, check out YST-SW216 and Yamaha NS-SW300PN (if you can find a good deal, otherwise its over budget).

I own a small 8" Jamo. It was my first sub. For the price it was nice, although plain and about as powerful as you'd expect a single 8" sub to be. Passed the WAF which was key. Jamo is part of the same company that owns Klipsch anyway, so as long as you're checking out Klipsch might as well see what else they have to offer.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Also Canton is a good brand, I had some CT-800’s for a while and they were lovely. Not sure about their subwoofers but they’re a solid German manufacturer.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule posted:

2) What do I look for in stands, compatibility wise? I would hope most stands would work with most speakers, but I don't know what to check to match up a specific speaker to a specific stand. I also don't like the look of most stands. I do like the look of one set of Bose stands the UFS-20, for example, but I can't see an obvious way to check if they'll play nice with the One.

This one's gotten lost in the flow although I've gotten a bit further into looking at things since then.

All else (stands, receiver) aside, the two packages I've seen that have got my attention are the Tannoy Eclipse Three 5.1 Speaker Package (2x Eclipse Three plus 2x Eclipse One, plus Eclipse Center, plus 2.8 sub) for £500, or the Q Acoustics 3050 5.1 Cinema Pack (2x 3050s plus 2x 3010s, plus 3090 center, plus 3070 sub) for £830. It seems to be the case (read: I read on What HiFi) that the 3050s are unquestionably better than the Eclipse Three but is that whole set £330 worth of better? Speaker reviews seem to roll straight off of my brain. I have the budget for it but that's quite a jump and I'm uneasy.

I also can't find much written about the subwoofers in those sets although What HiFi said about the Q 3070 that it "needs better definition and control to put out the taut, punchy bass that we’re after" (I know what all the words in that sentence mean but I have no idea what that sentence means. They did add that they overall still liked the set though.).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I just realised that my Yamaha RX-V383 does support connection via banana plug after all. They just blocked up the ports with these little plastic plugs that you have to remove with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. Weird. Apparently they only do this in some countries in Europe, while everyone else gets open ports out of the box. I guess it’s a safety issue or something?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Gunder posted:

I just realised that my Yamaha RX-V383 does support connection via banana plug after all. They just blocked up the ports with these little plastic plugs that you have to remove with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. Weird. Apparently they only do this in some countries in Europe, while everyone else gets open ports out of the box. I guess it’s a safety issue or something?

Yeah, standard-spacing banana plugs will also fit some Euro electrical plugs which might lead to some fried speakers/receivers/burned houses

Gunder
May 22, 2003

On the subject of banana plugs: on the back of my receiver and speakers, the plugs stick out of the posts by a little bit. Are you meant to unscrew the post a little to cover up the rest of the shaft, or is it best to leave it all tightly screwed down?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I finally hooked up my rear speakers today to complete my 5.0 setup and unfortunately, it doesn't sound all that impressive with the PS4 games I've tried it with. I feel like with some games you can barely tell the rear speakers are even doing anything and it's also not as easy to tell where exactly a sound is coming from as I thought it would be. Is it possible that my not that great receiver is the reason for this or are some PS4 games just not mixed that well? I tried Battlefield 4, GTA V, Trackmania Turbo and Yakuza Kiwami, only BF4 sounded close to what I was expecting from a surround system.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Incessant Excess posted:

I finally hooked up my rear speakers today to complete my 5.0 setup and unfortunately, it doesn't sound all that impressive with the PS4 games I've tried it with. I feel like with some games you can barely tell the rear speakers are even doing anything and it's also not as easy to tell where exactly a sound is coming from as I thought it would be. Is it possible that my not that great receiver is the reason for this or are some PS4 games just not mixed that well? I tried Battlefield 4, GTA V, Trackmania Turbo and Yakuza Kiwami, only BF4 sounded close to what I was expecting from a surround system.

Did you calibrate the speakers? Could be an issue with levels making the tears less audible than they should be.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I did do that, yes, it's called MCACC on my receiver and from my understanding somewhat basic.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Games are really inconsistent with surround in general, like Uncharted games always had great sound but when I was playing some Assassins Creed games the voices would move between the speakers at 100% volume with no mixing and it was distracting.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Games are notoriously bad at positional audio.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That's a bummer, oh well, teaches me to do proper research next time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I know with games (mostly pubg for the past 6 months) on my PC I have a much easier time locating sounds with headphones rather than my surround speakers. I hardly use the surround setup at my PC anymore.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ideally you shouldn't be hearing the rear speakers on their own much, they should be reinforcing the overall mix most of the time and be fairly "transparent." How it turns out is largely up to the individual developer and how their process goes which could be anything. I'm sure the math is non-trivial compared to a movie where everything is set in advance.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'll give some movies a shot as well, are there any with a particularly good surround mix? I remember Saving Private Ryan supposedly being one.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Sixth Sense made really good use of surround for mood.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember the Saving Private Ryan DTS mix being super good

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’m going to guess John Wick?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Recommendations for running surround sound with 4 speakers? I want to do a silly thing and throw 4 speakers at a temporary HT setup.

It just so happens that I've got an unused room I'd like to throw either 2 Vandersteen 2ce sig II's + 2 2ci's in or 2 Beovox MC120.2's + 2 s80.2's in for fun. Eventually I'm gonna sell them all but the 2ce Sig II's but in the meantime I'd like to dick around with them.
Are there any nice receivers that do a good job of mixing down dropping or phantom-ing the center? Room correction is a must. This isn't a permanent setup and eventually I plan to use the receiver for a proper 5.1.0 setup.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Every decent receiver can handle a basically arbitrary number of speakers now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

Every decent receiver can handle a basically arbitrary number of speakers now.

Noice.

Any real reason to go with a MARANTZ SR5012 over the SR5011?
I don't care about HEOS or playing ALAC files, and they seem basically identical otherwise.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Incessant Excess posted:

I'll give some movies a shot as well, are there any with a particularly good surround mix?

Generation Kill has a great mix and definitely one of the best I've ever heard. Ditto with the new Band of Brothers box set. I thought Wall-E had a nice mix also.

And Mad Max Fury Road first chase is just so much fun to watch even if you've seen it a dozen times already. Can't not love Doof Wagon.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So I'm temporarily using an older tv without ARC while saving up for something newer, and I'm getting tired of having an RCA cable running between the tv and the AVR, as I have everything else running through the wall. Is there an acceptable quality, reasonably priced wireless point to point transmission solution I can use to pass a stereo audio signal to my AVR beyond loving around with Bluetooth pairing? It has to be wife-operable and as fool proof as possible, because it'll be used to put free to air tv on for the kids at like 6 in the morning.

The AVR is an older unit (Yamaha RX-V565) without Bluetooth, but I do have a BT 4.1 receiver lying around.

Thanks!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Don Dongington posted:

So I'm temporarily using an older tv without ARC while saving up for something newer, and I'm getting tired of having an RCA cable running between the tv and the AVR, as I have everything else running through the wall. Is there an acceptable quality, reasonably priced wireless point to point transmission solution I can use to pass a stereo audio signal to my AVR beyond loving around with Bluetooth pairing? It has to be wife-operable and as fool proof as possible, because it'll be used to put free to air tv on for the kids at like 6 in the morning.

The AVR is an older unit (Yamaha RX-V565) without Bluetooth, but I do have a BT 4.1 receiver lying around.

Thanks!

No.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Get a wire channel at home depot and put it up temporarily if it bothers you that much. Anything wireless is going to be a pain in the rear end.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Does your tv have optical out? I have an older TV without ARC and use the optical port to go to my soundbar while all my normal gear is in storage. It's a thinner wire at least, maybe you can find a white one?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I had a feeling.

It does have optical out, so maybe I'll look into a longer toslink cable situation. I have speaker wire running along the skirting boards there anyway.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Anyone have a hands on with the new Elac C5.2 or C6.2? Digging my B6 2.1 setup for music but doing quite a bit of volume changing during movies. Open to other center suggestions as well!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A center won't help with that, might actually make it worse since most people boost the center and 80+% of surround audio comes through it including giant explosions and the like. It's just the way movies are mixed.

The new Elacs are supposed to be a little more neutral [hence, brighter] than the previous series. I haven't heard them myself, though.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

Micca or Edifier powered speakers in the $150-200 range would be an option as well.
From a bit back, but thanks for this rec. Was looking for something reasonable for my (tabletop) game room to go with the 32" TV and play some music. Picked up the Edifier R2000DB (and a Chromecast Audio) and they were just what I was looking for. Before I saw these I was looking at a lot of sound bars for this use case, but I don't really trust speakers that small.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Amazon has a deal of the day on select Klipsch speakers, I don't know how good the speakers are but the price cuts are like 40% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This looks rad, I wonder if it'll be easier to acquire than the A-9010 (while having comparable sound quality.)