Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

D1 guy kind of started from a place where he was belittling his brother-in-law right out of the gate and made a freakout like this inevitable, which wasn't necessary, but on the other hand, he's not wrong per se

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

elise the great posted:

Oh yeah and I wear thong underwear because I don’t have enough rear end to keep full cheek coverage in place. If I’m gonna have a wedgie all day anyway I’d rather limit the amount of fabric involved.

Yes, my pants started slipping once while I was giving chest compressions, and my work buddy held my pants up while I finished my two minutes of CPR, but everyone had already seen my underpants. Fortunately nobody was lustfully overcome by my whorish ways, and we got the patient back without more than a couple of snickers at my expense.

Same reason my roommate wears thongs.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

loquacius posted:

D1 guy kind of started from a place where he was belittling his brother-in-law right out of the gate and made a freakout like this inevitable, which wasn't necessary, but on the other hand, he's not wrong per se

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Here's some short Ask A Manager stories for the thread Prank Tribunal:

My coworker is really angry about a prank

quote:

Some of my colleagues decided to pull (what they thought was) a harmless prank on a coworker. The coworker, “Jane,” is particular about her car – she always parks far from the entrance because she is concerned about car door “dings” and does not want anyone to park near her. As a joke, several people pulled their cars around her one morning last week. No one touched her car or impeded her ability to get into the car or leave the parking lot.

When Jane saw what they had done, she went ballistic and started yelling at everyone in the office. Keep in mind, Jane is usually the first to pull a silly prank in the office (think printing out pictures and papering a coworker’s cube with them).

Fast forward to today, and the weekend didn’t calm her down – nearly a week later, she is still refusing to speak to anyone involved in the prank. She has started parking her car even further out to ensure it is the only one in the area. The office is typically a friendly place, but Jane feels hard done by and shows no signs of getting over this. The employees who engaged in the prank feel she is completely overreacting since no harm came to her or the vehicle. It is a public lot after all with no assigned spots. Thoughts on what to do?

My workplace pulled a mean April Fools prank on employees

quote:

Today is April 1st. All the managers at my plant secretly met and decided to call a meeting with the employees in two departments. The plan is to tell them their departments are all required to work 4 hours overtime tonight.

I think this is a terrible, terrible prank. These people have families and commitments outside of work. I don’t know how long the managers are going to keep the joke up before they tell the employees they can go home on time today. I am imagining tons of angry, disappointed employee families desperately trying to communicate about it while the employees can’t even have their cell phones out during work hours.

What do you think?

quote:

Update several minutes later:

I know I sent that email just a minute ago, but I already have an update. The joke was revealed to the employees after just a few minutes. But they told the employees they had to work overtime tonight AND tomorrow and that their production would be subject to a complete audit (audits are a big deal around here). My HR lady is giggling, saying “some of them turned white as a sheet! Some of them turned green!”

I asked what kind of pranks they’ve done in previous years, and it was just managers pranking each other (messing up one another’s desks, etc.) which I think is infinitely more appropriate!

My employees played a horrible prank on a coworker — what do I do now?

quote:

I’m writing seeking advice as to how I as a manager can handle the aftermath of a joke gone wrong. The joke never should have been played in the first place, but that ship has sailed. I manage four reports and two of them made another think $50,000 had gone missing and she was being arrested for stealing it (my other report was not involved at all). They went so far as to get one of their wives to pretend to be a police officer there for the arrest. The one who was accused wept so hard she vomited. She was adamant she didn’t do it and asked to phone someone to go stay with her sick mother while she was in custody. It was only then she was let in on the joke. She has not returned since it happened and will not answers calls or letters.

I am furious. Their joke was unacceptable, and if I had known what they were planning I would have shut it down. I don’t have the power to fire them or I would have already.

I have no clue what they were thinking. They say it was intended to be hilarious, not mean. I don’t know of any trouble before this and all of my reports seem to get along. The one they played the joke on has only worked here for a few months and is fresh out of school while my other three reports have worked here for anywhere between 6-9 years and have all been on this team for over five years.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

God drat, owned so hard he has to get a divorce

Shameful, imo

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Here's some short Ask A Manager stories for the thread Prank Tribunal:

*dons judicial robes*

quote:

My coworker is really angry about a prank

Unclench, Jane.

quote:

My workplace pulled a mean April Fools prank on employees

That's a dick move.

quote:

Holy poo poo. Report that to higher up.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
You know the D1 guy was making thrusting motions while talking as well.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

pushpins posted:

You know the D1 guy was making thrusting motions while talking as well.

Owns even harder

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pranks are social warfare. Life is about comfort without challenge (it’s why people “ink up”)

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Why do so many employees feel that work is a place for comedy and hilarious gags? I would fire every prankster in all those stories, even the car idiots

"hey things are going well at the office let's start some poo poo looool"

Ah ok cool please take your comedy act on the road and hopefully they'll enjoy it at your next job

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why do so many employees feel that work is a place for comedy and hilarious gags? I would fire every prankster in all those stories, even the car idiots

Ah ok cool please take your comedy act on the road and hopefully they'll enjoy it at your next job

Amazingly this is why you do not currently and never will have any power over other people

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Amazingly this is why you do not currently and never will have any power over other people

I was hoping you'd be talking out of your rear end with this post as with so many others, and here you are, delivering :3:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You wouldn't have to fire the car idiots because you would have fired Jane for her office supply wasting pranks already.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

Yup, pretty much. But there's a point at which you have a short argument and then nod your head "Uh huh, right" and move on. BIL is a dumbass for taking back and marrying a cheater, but dude has nothing to gain by escalating an argument and rabidly pissing him and his own fiancée off. It's called being an adult and tact exists for a reason, whether it's shitflinging about religion, politics, or someone's very stupid relationship decisions.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I was hoping you'd be talking out of your rear end with this post as with so many others, and here you are, delivering :3:

It's kinda early to already go for the puppet master thing, my dude

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Blade Runner posted:

That's exactly what he wants you to think

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

too much sitcom watching

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Hellblazer187 posted:

Comments are eating D1 guy alive, and I don't agree. D1 guy owns.

Dude was just saying what everyone should be thinking. Like I wouldn't go overtly in their face about it but I would probably lose a lot of respect for anyone that took back a cheater. Feels like one of those things that if you had any self respect you'd acknowledge you just shouldn't have to try and make it work.

If the BIL actually goes through with a divorce D1 dude did him a favor over just thinking poorly of him behind his back.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 1, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I work in IT at one of the largest retail giants in the world and literally everyone wears casual button-downs/polo shirts/t-shirts and jeans daily. That's everyone from QA testers to infrastructure engineers making six figures. No one ever cares. Complaining about how people dress is the height of comedy.

I am at work, right now. I am wearing jeans and a black undershirt from DXL. There is another employee also wearing a black undershirt from DXL. Frankly, having to put on a Polo every day sounds oppressive.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

No puppetmaster involved, congrats on being full of poo poo

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

A lot of people are really obsessed with 'decorum' and 'being polite' in a way that isn't actually polite but involves not bringing up any of the glaring issues with things because then they might have the change or evaluate themselves

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No puppetmaster involved, congrats on being full of poo poo

I'm sorry your football playing BIL ruined your marriage but that is no reason to take your frustration out on me

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Honestly anyone who not only takes back a cheater, but just sort of casually drops that information in front of someone they aren't close with is either asking to get the D1 treatment, or desperately seeking validation for his oh so progressive choice. At absolute worst he should tell BIL "I don't regret the sentiment of what I said but I recognize I was pretty harsh." But actually he shouldn't do that. He should call the BIL and offer to lift weights with him to help him get through the divorce.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Twitch posted:

Is it weird that I dress differently at work? Also I thought people wear thongs so their pants don't get noticeable underwear lines, and you only can see thong if they're wearing low-rise jeans or something.

Now I work from home and my attire is that of a teenage boy/mom in the 'burbs (jeans, t-shirt, Converse), but when I worked in an office this is exactly why I wore thongs. They are not really super comfortable.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I am at work, right now. I am wearing jeans and a black undershirt from DXL. There is another employee also wearing a black undershirt from DXL. Frankly, having to put on a Polo every day sounds oppressive.

Like half of my co-workers wear a undershirt style t-shirt just like that while they test software or write Powershell scripts, so I feel ya. I like polos though, but it doesn't really matter. :shrug:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Haifisch posted:

If they all report to the OP, shouldn’t OP personally (or go through HR/their higher up) get those two asshats reprimanded if not outright fired?

That’s waaaaay beyond a ‘prank’.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

loquacius posted:

You have all used code I have touched at least once in the past few months

I would like to know what code this is that you are so sure

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I would sit Jane down and tell her to get over it or find somewhere else to work.

That second one is an obnoxious abuse of power and it's not the first time I've heard managers stringing along hourly employees like that and won't stand for it anywhere I am.

That third one...jesus that is unconscionable. Fire all the pranksters.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Shut the gently caress up about what you wear to work and post /r/relationship stories, Jesus

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

if you pull a prank you're responsible for the outcome, doesn't matter what it is. lol at failures who can't take responsibility for situations they create

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

the police impersonation one is actually a crime that can carry years in prison

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Let's talk about lovely greedy families instead.

​My wife [42] and I [39M] own a successful restaurant, and our relatives are always trying to shame us into hiring them/their kids to work for usPersonal issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4vppaa/my_wife_42_and_i_39m_own_a_successful_restaurant/

quote:

Wife and I have been married ten years. Four years ago we decided to open a restaurant. My wife worked at a daycare center and I was the manager of a bar and grill. We both gave up our careers to try something new.

We opened a small but upscale Italian restaurant. My wife and I are both of Italian heritage (I speak Italian but she doesn't). We borrowed about four hundred thousand dollars at the bank. We never asked help or advice from our families, and we didn't want any, either. Members on both sides of our families took it upon themselves to tell us how stupid we were to try our hand at business, though. Scoff, scoff, scoff--that's what many of them did.

Besides our kitchen staff of four people (one chef, one sous-chef, and two assistants, there are nine employees who are all part time and rotate: we usually have two servers during lunch and four at dinner. Plus we have one custodian.

All of our employees are experienced professionals. Our most experienced server is fifty years old, full-blood Sicilian, and has been a professional server for thirty six years.

Needless to say, our restaurant lost money for a while as could be expected. Over the last two years though we started to pull slight profits and are slowly climbing out of the red.

My wife and I will still be paying back the bank for at least six or seven years, and that's if this year's positive outcomes continue. We get great reviews on Yelp and other sites, and we're very popular in the community.

---and now, here come the relatives. It's always some cousin or other relation talking about how their teenager needs experience, won't you let him work for you, or, I need extra income, can I be a server, do you make big tips?

It makes me sick.

I already have all the staff I need at the moment, and I tell them this, but they act like I'm being selfish if I don't want to hire them or their relation, or that I'm choosing not to hire them because I only want to hire members from the other side of the family. Both sides of the family make the same claim, and the fact is my wife and I are the only "related" people in the whole business.

They seem to have this idea in their head that since our restaurant is popular, we're raking it in, and that our servers are making sixty grand a year with tips. Nonsense.

Worse is that none of our relatives have any experience serving, yet uncle so and so or aunt what's her face thinks their kid deserves to work at our restaurant because I'm their uncle or whatever.

Family members are already starting to gossip about how we're greedy and unwilling to share our success. I keep trying to explain that we're not yet "successful" if we still owe more than three hundred fifty thousand dollars to Chase Manhattan Bank, but they just don't seem to get it, and they keep yapping their mouths, too.

There have been a couple of recent, weird negative reviews online for our restaurant, which came coincidentally after I rejected a nephew's request to be a waiter.

Is there anything I can do about these people? Any way to make them get off my back and understand that just because I own a restaurant, doesn't mean I need to give all their kids a job?

tl;dr

Opened a restaurant with wife. Restaurant appears to be popular and thriving. Cue all the leech relatives looking for a job and expecting an easy hire because I'm their uncle/cousin. Don't want to give them jobs. Now they're leaving bad reviews for us online, and gossiping about us calling us cheap.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blade Runner posted:

It’s never too early for puppet master.

My (21/f) ex boyfriend (25/m) doesn’t want me to sleep with other men despite him dating other girls

quote:

I dated this guy for roughly four months. We broke up for complicated reasons involving not being ready for commitment on both our parts. For a while, we continued sleeping with each other. During this time, we were having some of the best sex of our lives (we discussed this one night post sex), probably because we didn’t feel any pressure to “impress” the other and just be our authentic selves since the relationship was over.

The problem is that he doesn’t want me having sex with anyone else. This started a week ago when, while watching a movie on his couch, I got a message from a guy on tinder and he saw it. He was cold to me the rest of the night and would hardly speak. The following week, my friend asked me if I was interested in having a threesome with her and another (very attractive) guy on Friday night. I told my ex about it because it was funny to me and, having had threesomes with him in the past, thought he would get a kick out of it as well.

But he didn’t. He asked me if I was going to do it and the expression on his face made me realize...he was genuinely worried that I was. I ignored his question because i didn’t know how to respond and he said, “I don’t want you to go get hosed by another guy. I’ll cancel my plans tonight and we can go do something, just don’t have a threesome with another guy.”

How is this fair? I know for a fact that he’s had another girl in his apartment since we’ve broken up, but somehow it’s not okay for me to have an active, enjoyable sex life with anyone else but him? I had no intention of having this threesome, but now that he’s told me he doesn’t want me to, I almost feel as if I should.

Tl:dr; my ex boyfriend doesn’t want me having sex with other men,

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Spatial posted:

if you pull a prank you're responsible for the outcome, doesn't matter what it is. lol at failures who can't take responsibility for situations they create

Unreasonable. If I put a whoopee cushion* on someone’s chair, and they start stabbing people, that’s not on me.

*fun fact, the Romans were no stranger to the concept of “a bag that you trick people into sitting on and it makes a farting noise”. Truly man has not changed.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

i may have overinflated my case there

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
As an April Fools prank, I said I was quitting my job

quote:

I may have put myself unintentionally on the bad side of a few of my coworkers, as well as possibly my supervisor. Just recently was April 1st, and for some humor (or so I thought), I figured I’d pull a prank by announcing on Facebook that I have taken a new job. Since it was April 1st, I thought that everyone would get it right away. I thought wrong.

I thought April Fools Day was supposed to be recognized also as Prank Day. Do people not have a sense of humor anymore? I know pranks are very frowned upon around the office. But since our office has somewhat of a fun vibe at times, I thought it was acceptable. I certainly didn’t intend any bad blood anywhere with anyone. I’ve already been working here for a while, so it’s not like I’m new there. And I’m considered a very good employee (in terms of work). Do I have anything to be concerned about? This is the first time I’ve pulled a prank, and I certainly won’t pull one again. I have a few coworkers who are on my friend list, and to my knowledge, they don’t have my supervisor as a friend on there. Granted, I have a feeling they may have walked up to my supervisor and asked about this.

I pulled a prank on a coworker — and it ended badly

quote:

I’m in a bit of a sticky situation. I played a prank on an employee — locked him on the balcony during office hours. It was a few minutes before a company function with clients at the office. He got out a few minutes later, grabbed me by my arm hard, and yanked me away from a conversation with a coworker in a room of clients. He said that if I ever did something like that to him again, he would hurt me (but in colourful language) and it was in a hushed tone so that no one would overhear. But he was angry.

I had thought he’d just laugh at it and maybe get me back with a different prank. But he was livid and threatened me with physical violence.

He sits behind me and sometimes we joke around verbally. I don’t know him that well because he’s a newer employee (he’s been here for a little over a year), but I pulled the prank because another coworker (who he’s known for many years) was laughing along with me. So I figured he’d just laugh it off. But she hadn’t realized that I locked the door and later mentioned that she would have told me not to lock the door.

I don’t want to diminish the error I made – I recognize it. But I really don’t know what to do or how to interpret it and I don’t want to bring it to my manager. If I bring it to my manager, I’m afraid that I will look like a problem-maker, a politics-playing person, or a revenge employee (tattle-tale) because I did play the prank and in retrospect, I shouldn’t have done it. But at the same time, his reaction was unexpected and I don’t know how to gauge whether it was said on the spur of the moment emotional anger or out of seriousness. He hasn’t brought up the issue so far. What should I do?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Haifisch posted:

As an April Fools prank, I said I was quitting my job

I pulled a prank on a coworker — and it ended badly

Both of those people are idiots, but I'm especially concerned with how stupid the second one is. Don't loving go to management telling them you literally falsely imprisoned someone. Tell the dude next day, "hey, sorry I was trying to be funny but I see now that it upset you. I won't do it again." Maybe offer to buy a drink or dinner to make amends. Victim's response was 100% justified.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 1, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if these people tell jokes with no punchlines too

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lol it's a prank bro. I have unlawfully and against your will physically restrained you during work hours. lol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

cumshitter posted:

I work in finance and I wear slacks, a button up, a tie, tie pin, vest, blazer, spats, suspenders, a monocle chain, a sash with a bunch of $'s on it, and a tophat to work and if you show up wearing anything less than what the Monopoly Man wears on company time you might as well show up in ash and burlap you loving poors.

I realise I’m way late with this, but the monopoly man doesn’t have a monocle. :colbert: