Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Strobe posted:

The thread's irrational hate boner (seriously guy, give PTN some credit for doing them better) for them is kinda discouraging sometimes.

^Well, as if to prove your point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

And when the last Clanner dies, we'll be rid of their awful culture for good.

I doubt that! There's inevitably going to be some kind of inner-sphere functional equivalent to a weaboo, yeah? If we have people who genuinely consider themselves in all seriousness to belong to the Jedi religion, here and now, then there's definitely always going to be people who consider themselves Clanners.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I doubt that! There's inevitably going to be some kind of inner-sphere functional equivalent to a weaboo, yeah? If we have people who genuinely consider themselves in all seriousness to belong to the Jedi religion, here and now, then there's definitely always going to be people who consider themselves Clanners.

Oh my god, Spheroid Clanaboos

Excellent.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Leperflesh posted:

And then they can throw themselves at the guns of a Combine Firestarter! Problem solved.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rorahusky posted:

Uncle Stefen is basically the David Xanatos of PTNverse, full of charisma and very likeable, but someone you should never /ever/ trust.

Except he didn't play the game quite well enough and they killed him. :negative:

dis astranagant posted:

Andurien was lost the moment we voted to send the Clans there. Our job was to make the Snow Ravens and Sea Foxes bleed for it.

Not strictly true, from what PTN said in the past. If we had voted to go back there this time we'd have had a chance to make it a (likely Pyrrhic) victory for the NRWR. All that said, it doesn't look like on the map they've done a TON of work outside Andurien, so the NRWR may have "won" in the sense that the crippled the Clans enough they couldn't genocide the rest of the NRWR or completely collapse the economy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Clan IlKhanate
The Clan ilKhanate is a chaotic mess of conflicting ideas. The sudden silence of the Clan homeworlds has largely put an end to the second crusade, but the Clans don’t rest easy. Three factions have formed. The Crusaders, consisting of Clans Wolf, Nova Cat, Fire Mandrill, and Diamond Shark (the homeworld portions of Sea Fox and Snow Raven) wish to resume the drive to retake Terra. The Investigators, consisting of Clans Blood Spirit, Ghost Bear, Coyote, and Stone Lion (the homeworld portions of Clan Hell’s Horses) feel they should return to the Homeworlds to find out why contact has been lost. Lastly the Integrationists, Clans Jade Falcon, Mongoose, Goliath Scorpion, Burrock, and Smoke Jaguar are growing to enjoy life in the Inner Sphere and wish to consolidate the ilKhanate into a true power. The three factions have achieved a relative parity, which has kept the ilKhanate paralyzed under the aging Asa Taney’s loud but ineffectual leadership.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 6, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Are we getting any continuance on the legion mission we just did?

What happened after? We did win pretty handily after all!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

What happened after?

Red Primer Gray dawn in the homeworlds with the Wolverines leading the resistant movement.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan IlKhanate
The Clan ilKhanate is a chaotic mess of conflicting ideas. The sudden silence of the Clan homeworlds has largely put an end to the second crusade, but the Clans don’t rest easy. Three factions have formed. The Crusaders, consisting of Clans Wolf, Nova Cat, Fire Mandrill, and Diamond Shark (the homeworld portions of Sea Fox and Snow Raven) wish to resume the drive to retake Terra. The Investigators, consisting of Clans Blood Spirit, Ghost Bear, Coyote, and Stone Lion (the homeworld portions of Clan Hell’s Horses) feel they should return to the Homeworlds to find out why contact has been lost. Lastly the Integrationists, Clans Jade Falcon, Mongoose, Goliath Scorpion, Burrock, and Smoke Jaguar are growing to enjoy life in the Inner Sphere and wish to consolidate the ilKhanate into a true power. The three factions have achieved a relative parity, which has kept the ilKhanate paralyzed under the aging Asa Taney’s loud but ineffectual leadership.

Asa Taney is in charge? And the Falcons want to stay and the Wolves and Nova Cats and Diamond Sharks want to attack? Can't wait to see what brought all that about.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

Red Primer Gray dawn in the homeworlds with the Wolverines leading the resistant movement.
It's there a way to just plug this poo poo into my veins? I can't get enough.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So are all the Widowmakers dead then? Can I finally roll out that Rasaulhaguean Mission Accomplished banner?

Surprised to see the Jade Falcons in that last group, but I suppose it did look like they were getting squeezed pretty hard.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Xarbala posted:

Speaking of Clanners, if the thread closes does that mean Mukaikubo is finally free from his geas

I vote yes. Let the poor goon contract again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

the aging Asa Taney’s loud but ineffectual leadership.

I AM GOING TO BUILD A WALL
AND I WILL MAKE THE INNER SPHERE PAY FOR IT

I'm just saying, when we capture Bondsmen, we aren't capturing their best

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Speaking of Clanners, if the thread closes does that mean Mukaikubo is finally free from his geas

Mukaikubo is already free of his geas. After murdering a bunch of stuff in his most recent mission he declared that sufficient enough to be done with it.

July 26th, 2017:

Mukaikubo posted:

3. I think crippling one tank, killing another, and mission killing a Mad Cat in 3 rounds of firing with a Jagermech is sufficient to let me use contractions again, y'all. Honor's been sated.

I will give more attention to the map and what moves to make tomorrow, I think.

April 18th, 2011:

Mukaikubo posted:

Secret Move Activated: Mukai will, as befits the new status of his PC, not use any contractions for the remainder of this thread. If you see him lapsing into lazy speech, correct him as gently or as caustically as you like.

Six years, three months, and 8 days of no contractions. Holy gently caress.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 6, 2018

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
"I like warriors who were not captured." :smug:

Also isn't it Asa Hellion now?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Looks like Burrock and the Goliath Scorpions actually made out the best of everyone in the clan invasions. Reasonably stable gains with no great losses. Now they can wallow in decadence and profligacy like any good conqueror.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Do all the clans have their sbikos do a hunt for their totem animal or was that just Ghost Bear? If the former, then they're going to have an interesting time inducting new warriors without access to the homeworlds, right?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Olothreutes posted:

Mukaikubo is already free of his gas. After murdering a bunch of stuff in his most recent mission he declared that sufficient enough to be done with it.

Works for me. I called him on it on another thread a while back, but honor seems to have been satisfied in spades during that mission. That was an amazing one to watch, and since it was part of taking back Luthien from the Hell's Horses suitably anti-Clanner.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Works for me. I called him on it on another thread a while back, but honor seems to have been satisfied in spades during that mission. That was an amazing one to watch, and since it was part of taking back Luthien from the Hell's Horses suitably anti-Clanner.

Indeed. Over six years of no contractions is nuts for a silly LP thread.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

Indeed. Over six years of no contractions is nuts for a silly LP thread.

Would be more meaningful if he posted here more often lately, but yeah, he held to it when he did and the thread called them on it when they didn't, so it's all good. Still, good on him for keeping it going in character and being a good sport about it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 6, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

Mukaikubo is already free of his geas. After murdering a bunch of stuff in his most recent mission he declared that sufficient enough to be done with it.

July 26th, 2017:

April 18th, 2011:

Six years, three months, and 8 days of no contractions. Holy gently caress.

Oh. Well gosh.

Anyway, good on Muk for keeping it up for so long.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Do all the clans have their sbikos do a hunt for their totem animal or was that just Ghost Bear? If the former, then they're going to have an interesting time inducting new warriors without access to the homeworlds, right?

Nope, and the Bears don't send sibbies either.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

paragon1 posted:

If the Ghost Bears really wanted to be taken seriously they would make a deal with Skye to hunt the New Kyoto Armor Bear. The ghost bear is just a bigger polar bear. An armor bear is like if they made Elemental armor for bears.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Would be more meaningful if they posted here more often lately, but yeah, they held to it when they did and the thread called them on it when they didn't, so it's all good. Still, good on them for keeping it going in character and being a good sport about it.

I seem to recall them posting here about not being as active because of how much of a pain it was to keep up the no contractions gimmick.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

I seem to recall them posting here about not being as active because of how much of a pain it was to keep up the no contractions gimmick.

Fair enough. His contribution in that Luthien mission was enough. And now that he's redeemed himself, so he can use them whenever he likes, like in the new thread when it gets posted!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Partly the no contractions gimmick, partly the thing I think Strobe mentioned on the last page with the thread being a little too violently anti-Clanner for my tastes, partly getting real busy with other hobbies. I do keep up with the thread, I just don't really do much voting anymore because voting in a goon LP risks being sometimes kinda like sticking a sensitive appendage into a sausage grinder if you've got the Wrong Opinion. :v: I am pretty amazed that the no-contractions thing lasted as long as it did, though, and I will stand by my two accomplishments of "Steiner Rules" and "The Jagermech, secretly the most dangerous Inner Sphere heavy mech..."

Haven't really been following the giant morass of changes PTN's making, but since Battletech is desperately crying out for a rules update, it's not likely to make things worse. The storyline changes I'll reserve comment on; looks like we are getting a faction of Clans that aren't complete morons and start to integrate with the Inner Sphere, which has always been a fast track into my heart. I love the sane(r) Clans- some of the original homeworld warden clans, I dug Star Adder for saying 'uh guys we're gonna need to bring like everything we've got to do thi- oh you're going to bid like four galaxies only. okay. have fun.' And later in the timeline, I adored the Ghost Bear dominion, the Snow Ravens, and the Sea Foxes for starting to do some interesting stuff in the sphere.

But not the Wolves In Exile. Screw those guys. #ImpeachPhelan

#WithAGaussRifle

edit: As the thread rolls down, I will drop a link to two old posts of mine about the Clans which aged moderately well but I think will help folks get an idea of what it is I like about the Clans- not that I want them to win, but that I think there's a nugget of a really interesting idea in there that I wish could be played with more.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=94082&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post389761705 - Me rambling about Clan Honor and its purpose

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=94082&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post394936023 Effortpost on the Clans' origin and philosophy, and why Nicholas Kerensky is terrible

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 6, 2018

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I actually like the wolves in exile because of them being saner and warden. Though not a big fan of Phelan, I really like Ranna.

She managed to make VSD feel fear while watching a replay of their simulated battle.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

paragon1 posted:

So are all the Widowmakers dead then? Can I finally roll out that Rasaulhaguean Mission Accomplished banner?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Widowmakers got wiped out to a man. The poo poo they tried to pull with the whole 'Let's ignore the Clan version of the Anti-Christ and try to cover up his existance from the Homeworld Clans' is Grade A Trial of Annihilation bait. The Second Crusade probably rolled up and proceeded to flatten the spoiders under foot before wrangling the other Clans present into serving them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe the Widowmakers said screw the whole system and made their own, with blackjack, and hookers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Free Worlds League
Carlos Marik is not his father. Where Duncan Marik sought external alliances and miracle solutions to the League’s problems, Carlos Marik has chosen to stop at nothing in his quest to strengthen the League. Whether it be pursuing closer ties with the Duchy of Regulus, or offering the Clans trapped in the Andurien Clanhold (B) JumpShips in exchange for military assistance, Carlos wants nothing more than to take back the worlds the League lost to the Capellan Confederation and restore his father’s tarnished reputation.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Free Worlds League
Carlos Marik is not his father. Where Duncan Marik sought external alliances and miracle solutions to the League’s problems, Carlos Marik has chosen to stop at nothing in his quest to strengthen the League. Whether it be pursuing closer ties with the Duchy of Regulus, or offering the Clans trapped in the Andurien Clanhold (B) JumpShips in exchange for military assistance, Carlos wants nothing more than to take back the worlds the League lost to the Capellan Confederation and restore his father’s tarnished reputation.

I really like that: it's like Carlos realized "holy poo poo the Capellans are insane, we have to do something" when he personally saw them burning down one of their own drat worlds. And just when the Capellans got a leader who isn't bat poo poo crazy yet! I mean, sure, probably in a few years, but not yet!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Didn't Carlos almost get killed by ComStar, or am I misremembering?

[EDIT] and it's not fair to assume Sun Wu is going to be crazy just because he's a Liao. I mean if Carlos is supposed to be different than his father being a bumbling monkey, Sun Wu could be different than his parents too.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Hell yeah Carlos Marik. Helping him evade Death By Sentai Team was a great mission and I hope his Crusaders keep him safe.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Hell yeah Carlos Marik. Helping him evade Death By Sentai Team was a great mission and I hope his Crusaders keep him safe.

Sup buddy. Gj on that mission.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So how’d Duncan die?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

So how’d Duncan die?

Who said he's dead? He's 75 in 3061, he stepped down.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zaodai posted:

Didn't Carlos almost get killed by ComStar, or am I misremembering?

[EDIT] and it's not fair to assume Sun Wu is going to be crazy just because he's a Liao. I mean if Carlos is supposed to be different than his father being a bumbling monkey, Sun Wu could be different than his parents too.

Comstar wasn't the one trying to kill Carlos, the Comguard forces on the planet with him ended up joining up after watching the Capellans roast the gently caress out of their HPG via hovering dropship.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Makes me wonder how the Demon Hawks are doing as a whole, especially after Andurian. For that matter, I wonder what's up with the mercenary scene in general. I imagine that Comstar continuing to run the mercenary board is unlikely, since Comstar outright joined the new Star League, and the rest of the nations probably wouldn't be keen on relying on a hiring service run by a rival nation. Sounds like a good way to get all your contracts cancelled should a fight ever break out between you and the Star League.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rorahusky posted:

Makes me wonder how the Demon Hawks are doing as a whole, especially after Andurian. For that matter, I wonder what's up with the mercenary scene in general. I imagine that Comstar continuing to run the mercenary board is unlikely, since Comstar outright joined the new Star League, and the rest of the nations probably wouldn't be keen on relying on a hiring service run by a rival nation. Sounds like a good way to get all your contracts cancelled should a fight ever break out between you and the Star League.

If they got off Andurien they did so with a bunch of bomb-rear end 'mechs and only one casualty. maybe they even went the way of McCarron's Armored Cavalry with Liao and became basically a NRWR house unit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

Comstar wasn't the one trying to kill Carlos, the Comguard forces on the planet with him ended up joining up after watching the Capellans roast the gently caress out of their HPG via hovering dropship.

Ah, I was thinking we saw him for two missions. One where ComStar was trying to kill/replace him and then the Capellan one. It's so hard to keep track of everything.

• Locked thread