Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Archenteron posted:

I hate that I'm saying this merely Semi-Ironically but..... Betrayal At House on the Hill/Balder's Gate? Semi dungeon-crawly, and the adults can loosely finegle the traitor reveals to keep things from getting too insane for the kidlings.

There is a Betrayal Legacy game coming out soon, I would wait for that if I was going to get anything from that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

There is a Betrayal Legacy game coming out soon, I would wait for that if I was going to get anything from that series.

Rutibex posted:

:barf:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quoting other people's opinions, but I had heard that CoC isn't all that great without the expansion. It's the expansion being OOP that is the big sticking point.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lorini posted:

Cthulhu Wars seems to play better with more people than three. I rarely have four, actually I usually have two or three, so I think for the time being I'll stay with Lords of Hellas. Thanks folks for the input. Kemet we tired of the logistics of all the stuff you had to look up to play decently. Also we much prefer the Greek theme to the horror theme, although if the two games were really equivalent, the horror theme wouldn't stop us.

My group's found CW works just fine with three and the same three really didn't like Lords of Hellas.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Got to play Cthulhu Wars for the first time last night. I had a blast - a lot of similarities with Chaos in the Old World, which I love, but I think the aspects that Cthulhu Wars doesn't have feel almost entirely for the better - particularly not having the old world cards which could be super swingy in Chaos.

At first I was pretty hesitant about the dice based combat but by later in the game it seemed like the dice play less of a role than it first appears due to the way hits are distributed which meant that it seems like attacking with the right force - and particularly having enough cannon fodder - is a lot more important than how you roll. I ended up losing my GOO due to missing this point, which cost me the game by a couple of points.

Looking forward to getting to play more and seeing how the factions interact with more plays - I can really see it being the sort of game that gets even better once everyone knows everyone else's capabilities and goals.

Also seems like it would be a good pbf game as there's not too much to keep track of. Maybe if I get sufficiently bored.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

You need Napoleon’s Triumph, Container, and The Great Zimbabwe.

I unironically do :smith:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Quoting other people's opinions, but I had heard that CoC isn't all that great without the expansion. It's the expansion being OOP that is the big sticking point.

I would agree with this. The base game isn’t bad, but it lacks some flavor and will get old quick, in the same way that Eminent Domain base game does.

Imagine if you took out the asymmetric races in Terra Mystica or something similar.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Some Numbers posted:

My group's found CW works just fine with three and the same three really didn't like Lords of Hellas.

Well I don't know, sigh. I guess I'll try to refuse the Lords of Hellas shipment and get CW. However if I can't refuse the shipment then I'll do the best that I can with Lords of Hellas.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lorini posted:

Well I don't know, sigh. I guess I'll try to refuse the Lords of Hellas shipment and get CW. However if I can't refuse the shipment then I'll do the best that I can with Lords of Hellas.

Lords isn't super bad, my group just bounced off it and felt it compared unfavorably to the other games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kerro posted:

Cthuhlu Wars
I really really like the game and I just preordered more factions so we can get more variety in our games.

quote:

Also seems like it would be a good pbf game as there's not too much to keep track of. Maybe if I get sufficiently bored.
YES PLEASE I'M SO IN.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I just played Tokyo Highway and loved it! More about planning than dexterity.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Thanks everyone. CoC sounds perfect, of course it’s not available for less than like $160(base + expansion). Guess I will wait for a reprint or for someone selling it. Interested in New Dawn, I’ll be looking for a way to try that out.

We went to a FLGS and they had an unopened copy of The Flow of History in their demo library so we gave it a try and had a good time, I pulled a victory out of my rear end by luckily blind drawing the drat Apollo program out of the deck.

It is a bit clunky with 2p, due to using a “banker” 3rd player that I’m not sure we were using right, but it would definitely be a tight and fast game with 3-5. For me it kind of fits right above 7W as a civ, I think I will pick it up if it’s ever under $15.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Some Numbers posted:

I really really like the game and I just preordered more factions so we can get more variety in our games.

I really really want to get more factions but they cost as much in shipping as they do to purchase (or more, in many cases) here in NZ. The only one that I could get at all affordably was Tcho Tcho so I have ordered that. I found the info for the other factions on BGG so thinking I might just proxy one or more of them - although even with the larger Mansions of Madness minis they would still be dwarfed by the CW ones.

quote:

YES PLEASE I'M SO IN.

I wouldn't be able to start anything until next week as I'm busy all weekend, but would anyone else be interested if I did do a pbf of Cthulhu Wars? Would probably limit it to 4 people, base factions for the first game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Count me in

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Kerro posted:

I wouldn't be able to start anything until next week as I'm busy all weekend, but would anyone else be interested if I did do a pbf of Cthulhu Wars? Would probably limit it to 4 people, base factions for the first game.

I'm game. I've been wanting to play more and never seem to be able to get it to the table!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kerro posted:

I really really want to get more factions but they cost as much in shipping as they do to purchase (or more, in many cases) here in NZ. The only one that I could get at all affordably was Tcho Tcho so I have ordered that. I found the info for the other factions on BGG so thinking I might just proxy one or more of them - although even with the larger Mansions of Madness minis they would still be dwarfed by the CW ones.

I'll be glad to watch, but I'd rather let newbies play. BGG have done a ton of PBFs and have some excellent tools for the job available, including maps of all sizes and images and boards for the factions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey folks, Tabletop Simulator and its DLC are on sale on Steam. I'm specifically interested in Indonesia and Three Kingdoms Redux. Anyone else? I'm happy to buy a $30 four pack and then if you chose to join you could reimburse me.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bodanarko posted:

Looking for advice on a good medium weight civ game. We have 7WD (50% of our plays are 2p so we went with Duel) and love it but I’d like something with a little more depth.

I have TtA mobile and love it but not sure about the fiddliness and downtime, especially if we play with more than 2.

al-azad posted:

I describe Flow of History as the best parts of Through the Ages and Innovation in a game that plays 5 in 45 minutes.

:agreed: And it's short enough you'll want to and be able to get another game in immediately.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I just got Flow of History based on this thread and if it's bad I'm gonna tell all your relatives you play Monopoly.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Are you talking about the new version of the Flow of History from Tasty Minstrel?

I'm really digging their work recently and the price on that sucker is just spot on. How is it with 2?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

Are you talking about the new version of the Flow of History from Tasty Minstrel?

I'm really digging their work recently and the price on that sucker is just spot on. How is it with 2?

After 1 play we found it to be *pretty good* with 2, the issue being that the 2p variant uses a neutral “banker” player that ended up being a bit clunky. I still enjoyed it but would probably stick with 7WD for 2 most of the time and Flow for any higher playcount.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bodanarko posted:

After 1 play we found it to be *pretty good* with 2, the issue being that the 2p variant uses a neutral “banker” player that ended up being a bit clunky. I still enjoyed it but would probably stick with 7WD for 2 most of the time and Flow for any higher playcount.

The deluxe version I have comes with a variant card that simplifies the banker. I personally enjoy it more this way.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/flow-of-history-deluxifiedtm-and-updated/posts/1891749

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

deadwing posted:

The deluxe version I have comes with a variant card that simplifies the banker. I personally enjoy it more this way.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/flow-of-history-deluxifiedtm-and-updated/posts/1891749

Yeah, I stumbled on the deluxified version KS last night, realllllly would have backed that after playing it but hard to justify $50+ for it on the secondhand market now.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How is Yokohama? Where does it rank on the list of games with Japanese names?

EBag
May 18, 2006

It's a good medium weight, point salad euro that does some interesting things. My wife and I prefer Istanbul with Mocha & Baksheesh because the race aspect, trade-off between investing in upgrades or getting gems, board variability and the movement puzzle are a little more interesting and it also plays in about half the time. A bunch of people like Yokohama better though so check them both out if you can and see which looks more interesting to you.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bodanarko posted:

Yeah, I stumbled on the deluxified version KS last night, realllllly would have backed that after playing it but hard to justify $50+ for it on the secondhand market now.

You can just play with those rules without the card, otherwise there's nothing that really impacts the game in the deluxe version. TMG Deluxe games are usually always worth backing on KS if the game seems appealing, worst case you sell it and make back your cash.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pierzak posted:

I just got Flow of History based on this thread and if it's bad I'm gonna tell all your relatives you play Monopoly.

They almost definitely already think I do.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

EBag posted:

It's a good medium weight, point salad euro that does some interesting things. My wife and I prefer Istanbul with Mocha & Baksheesh because the race aspect, trade-off between investing in upgrades or getting gems, board variability and the movement puzzle are a little more interesting and it also plays in about half the time. A bunch of people like Yokohama better though so check them both out if you can and see which looks more interesting to you.

Did some Istanbul with M&B earlier this week and for the first time played the game properly with the mosques not asking you to pay for all the goods, just needing them.

The game just gets better and better and is so tight. It's a little multiplayer solitaire at times but M&B really adds some alternate routes to victory in an organic way and being able to snake a gem from any of the three popular spots is a potentially gigantic knee cap if someone is rightfully playing by the knife's edge in goods/money. Highly recommend it.

How is the dice version? Haven't heard a thing about it.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Haven't played the dice version myself, I guess it looks kinda neat but my favorite aspect of the game is the route planning and the dice version doesn't feature that at all so :shrug:

Yah the mosque tiles seem to be a pretty common thing that trips people up. I usually emphasize paying attention to the different arrows, a red arrow means pay so if you point out that there's only one good with a red arrow it can help. But yah it's usually a pretty tight game, sometimes you get a blow-out but more often than not most players are within 1 or 2 turns of winning when the game ends.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

CaptainRightful posted:

I just played Tokyo Highway and loved it! More about planning than dexterity.

One of the reviews I watched mentioned that it was good, but when you knock highways over it can be extremely frustrating to put them back up and put me off of the game. Did this happen to you?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lorini posted:

Hey folks, Tabletop Simulator and its DLC are on sale on Steam. I'm specifically interested in Indonesia and Three Kingdoms Redux. Anyone else? I'm happy to buy a $30 four pack and then if you chose to join you could reimburse me.

I find the concept of the 3KR 4-pack incredibly hilarious.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Zaphiel posted:

One of the reviews I watched mentioned that it was good, but when you knock highways over it can be extremely frustrating to put them back up and put me off of the game. Did this happen to you?

I knocked over 3 pieces total, my opponent knocked over 0, yet I ended up winning. Maybe we're both really good at dexterity games or that reviewer is shaky? I rarely play dexterity games, but we both have painted minis, which requires similar precision. I wouldn't recommend this for younger kids.

There's no penalty for knocking over your own pieces, you just need to reconstruct them as close to possible as the way they were. For each of your opponent's pieces you knock over, you have to give them 1 of your pylon cylinders (and you still need to reconstruct their roads). These weren't too precious in our game, but I can see how that could compound the frustration, because you might knock over more pieces while attempting reconstruction.

Personally, I like that you have the strategic option to build your own roads precariously. My opponent played it safe, going for single crossings and attempting to branch off to multiple off ramps. I won because I managed much riskier multiple crossings. That sort of pushing your luck is the core mechanic of dexterity games, but I like that TH had more to it than just that.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

So I've played a bunch of Agricola Revised Edition and I played the original edition of Agricola on iOS and I gotta say, I personally like Revised a lot more - and not just because a physical copy is better. I almost never get a hand where I can't use most of the cards to come up with a points strategy which changes my progress compared to my opponents, whereas the original (or at least the iOS version) has a bunch of cards that I'd probably never use in any game.

I was wondering if other people felt the same or differently.

Is there a way to limit the iOS version to just use the cards from the revised edition?

Also, apparently the revised Farmers of the Moor expansion is coming out too (there was some news about it in May; no release date planned AFAIK). Pretty excited for that!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ignore whatever rutibex says in response, by the way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

a7m2 posted:

So I've played a bunch of Agricola Revised Edition and I played the original edition of Agricola on iOS and I gotta say, I personally like Revised a lot more

I was wondering if other people felt the same or differently.

I'm with you 100%, but some people genuinely like having a hand full of bad cards and trying to make it work. I think Agricola is a punishing enough system already to not need that extra level of RNG based beatdown. The revised edition was welcome enough change for me to finally get a physical copy myself even though I have and like AFFO more generally.

Some people also really care about the game not coming with enough for 5 players even though I wouldn't play with more than 4. Other's are just really dumb and actually think number of components = quality.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I was getting tempted by the Flow of History talk. Looked into it, and the game has actually been out since 2016. Made me wonder why it wasn't more popular. After doing some digging, it seems it was a relatively limited print run the first time around. However, there do seem to be legitimate criticisms with the end game. Enough that it's tempered my expectations, and I feel comfortable not buying it until I see if people actually still care about the game a few months from now.

Here is one such thread that outlies some of the end game issues: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1974066/better-end-game-anyone

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm with you 100%, but some people genuinely like having a hand full of bad cards and trying to make it work. I think Agricola is a punishing enough system already to not need that extra level of RNG based beatdown. The revised edition was welcome enough change for me to finally get a physical copy myself even though I have and like AFFO more generally.

Some people also really care about the game not coming with enough for 5 players even though I wouldn't play with more than 4. Other's are just really dumb and actually think number of components = quality.

I like the challenge of getting difficult cards (and I've had difficult hands in Revised too, where cards didn't work well together), but it's happened several times where some cards are just next to useless or my opponents had much better cards so there was no chance at all for me to win.

I got the 5 & 6 player expansion for the revised edition. It's not really an issue anymore aside from it being a bit more expensive.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 22, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I find the concept of the 3KR 4-pack incredibly hilarious.

Indonesia actually is better with more, although it plays three.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

Also, apparently the revised Farmers of the Moor expansion is coming out too (there was some news about it in May; no release date planned AFAIK). Pretty excited for that!

I can't wait to see how many cards they manage to cut from the expansion. Tree tokens and horses are also now a seperate sub-expansion which costs extra.

silvergoose posted:

Ignore whatever rutibex says in response, by the way.

It's probably best to just ignore me in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rutibex posted:

It's probably best to just ignore me in general

A truer word was never posted