Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

you gotta follow cruel intentions with something, mate

I mean, personally I'd go: Cruel Intentions, Clueless, She's All That for top 3 with "O" and Romeo and Juliet* filling out the top 5 but "You do you!" (as the kids say these days**)?

*: Going to allow this since it's an adaptation-via-modernization.
**: But do they really say that these days, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, it's got babby Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it but yeah: it wasn't great. I can't honestly recommend it unless you're doing a "Late 90s teen-adaptation movies" weekend or something?

soundtrack is amazing.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Lutha Mahtin posted:

dunking on android because it lagged in feature X is like dunking on ios because it lagged in feature Y, or operating system 3 lagged in feature Z. it's a scrub tier observation that people with mediocre critical thinking skills think they are clever for seeing

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nods sagely

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

high tech computer

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06aNfvIIl8o

The HTC U12 Plus's cloth speaker grills can easily fall out (they're held in by simple adhesive), the fake "buttons" can also fall off as they're apparently glued on as well, and the entire back of the phone can be pried off by hand as the adhesive they use on it is absolute garbage...all you have to do is bend the phone a little bit and just pull the back off.

It's supposed to be IP68 but I think they're lying.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Endless Mike posted:

high tech computer

Anroid!

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

high tech computer

Who the hell buys htc phones any more?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

eric posted:

Who the hell buys htc phones any more?
same people who watch those phone destruction videos

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anthonypants posted:

same people who watch those phone destruction videos

there are 318k views on that video which id guess is an order of magnitude greater than the number of people who paid earth money for that phone

honestly if you told me 318 people bought that phone id believe you

whens the last time anyone has even seen an htc newer than the m9? i only picked that one because from any distance it looks like the m7 and m8 and the m7 sold fairly well for an htc

id be shocked if any of their phones in the last three years sold more than 100k units worldwide

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
just when you thought android couldn't suck any harder, it sends your dick pics to your mom

quote:

Samsung phones are spontaneously texting users’ photos to random contacts without their permission
By Ashley Carman@ashleyrcarman Jul 2, 2018, 4:43pm EDT

Bad news for Samsung phone owners: some devices are randomly sending your camera roll photos to your contacts without permission. As first spotted by Gizmodo, users are complaining about the issue on Reddit and the company’s official forums. One user says his phone sent all his photos to his girlfriend. The messages are being sent through Samsung’s default texting app Samsung Messages. According to reports, the Messages app does not even show users that files have been sent; many just find out after they get a response from the recipient of the random photos sent to them.

A Samsung spokesperson tells The Verge it’s “aware of the reports” and that its technical teams are “looking into it.” The forums indicate that Galaxy S9 and S9+ devices are affected, but may not be the only ones afflicted with the bug. Samsung is encouraging those experiencing this issue to call the company directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

Some users are speculating that this issue has to do with the push of RCS messaging updates, including T-Mobile, which is the carrier for at least one of the affected phones. T-Mobile just issued its RCS update this week, starting with the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The messaging standard is supposed to make texting look more like chatting in a modern messaging app, complete with read receipts and typing indicators. When reached for comment, a T-Mobile spokesperson told The Verge to “check in with Samsung on this, it’s not a T-Mobile issue.”

For now, Samsung owners can revoke Samsung Message’s permissions to access storage to avoid the bug from sending their files out in the wild.

Update 7/2, 5:08 PM ET: This article initially stated that photos were sent over SMS, but it’s unclear how the photos are being sent. It’s more likely MMS messages or SMS with a link. We have also updated the story with a comment from T-Mobile.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/2/17528076/samsung-phones-text-rcs-update-messages

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Perplx posted:

just when you thought android couldn't suck any harder, it sends your dick pics to your mom

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/2/17528076/samsung-phones-text-rcs-update-messages

bixby? more like dixby! :v:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Perplx posted:

so she just deletes the duplicates nbd

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Perplx posted:

Anroid did this to me once in like 2010, except it was a pic someone else sent me, somehow it got passed along to another conversation to another person. :psyduck:

It was hosed and one of the reasons i stopped using anroid forever.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I can see that happening in a "group" chat because AFAIK there's not such thing in SMS/MMS and phones have to fake it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

id be shocked if any of their phones in the last three years sold more than 100k units worldwide

half of the google pixel phones are basically rebranded htc

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

*calls the Samsung support hotline*

hi, my phone texted a dick pic to my boss and an old pic of my ex to my girlfriend. I’ve been fired and my girlfriend broke up with me. help me Samsung.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

The Management posted:

half of the google pixel phones are basically rebranded htc

point stands

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

literally the exact words i was going to post :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

actually i think for at least the pixel one there was actual numbers derived both through the play store (a hole thats been patched out now) and through the data that gets released on brand breakdowns through store surveys

i actually found the numbers 3.9 million pixels sold from october 2016 through end of 2017

halfway through 2017 they had just topped 1 million (this is from the play store numbers)

honestly a lot more than id have guessed

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
is that even an hours worth of iPhone sales

posted from my iPhone 6

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Management posted:

hi, my phone texted a dick pic to my boss and an old pic of my ex to my girlfriend. I’ve been fired and my girlfriend broke up with me. help me Samsung.

"lol girlfriend, try and be realistic with your scams"

*click*

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Themage posted:

is that even an hours worth of iPhone sales

posted from my iPhone 6

iPhones sell about 24,500 per hour on an annualized average. 589k per day.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Perplx posted:

holy poo poo a feature on a samesung phone that wasnt stolen from apple

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

try taking it to the Samsung store

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

meh. i don't feel like going to wal-mart today.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

we actually have on of those in toronto. as far as i can tell they don't actually sell anything, it just exists to demo products or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Management posted:

:stare:

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

The Management posted:

holy hell

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
tim is a failure lol

:goonsay:

I am that goon

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i mean he's been successful at making the iphone and multiple other apple products worse. maybe not directly but still cmon son

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
iphone is good despite timb

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

tim is a failure lol

:goonsay:

I am that goon
S̛̙͎̙ṭ͚͡ỳ̦͕̥͉͘m̴̖̤͎͔̞̟̲̳i̧̹̪̝͚̫̼͟e̤̮̙͈̝̬̹͔ͅ ҉̱̖̀͢h̵͈̬͎̭͎̜̳͉͢á̻͎̰̠̦͞s̸̫̬͝ ͜҉͔̰͙͈͕͕͈͚̫b̝͉̗͉͎e̶̝̮͍͡e͖̺̯̦̪̫ǹ͔͙͓ ̴͏̻͕͍̪͇̻̦̲s̟̘̺̭̕͜ͅu̶̱̠̥ͅm̻̫̜̰̘͈̮͚͉͠͠ḿ͜͏̳̭̼͍o͍̻͈̦̗͕̺n̪̲̩̫̙̗͝͡e͏̳̱̩̳̘͜d̵̗̦͘̕ͅ

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

iphone is good despite timb

it really is amazing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

does that make apple pre jobs return, and does that mean jobs will force ghost his way to a third era of apple leadership

i have to think that some kind of ikea of phones will turn up sooner or later, this stuff can't stay expensive and/or insecure/terrible forever.

apple wont do it, they have the piece of the market they want (since it coincides with where there are good margins) sewn up

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i have to think that some kind of ikea of phones will turn up sooner or later, this stuff can't stay expensive and/or insecure/terrible forever.

apple wont do it, they have the piece of the market they want (since it coincides with where there are good margins) sewn up

i disagree

tech will stay insecure and terrible probably forever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

why do you think that given the entire history of smartphones over the last 15 years? i mean arguably, it already happened, it was apple.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

how much you want to bet the same poo poo he does to windows 10 he does to his phone

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am having the weirdest problem with my Google Pixel (original model) and it is driving me absolutely loving insane. If someone could help me, I would appreciate it greatly. I have been seriously trying to figure this out for 3 months now (at first I thought it was a T-Mobile issue but I later ruled them out).

My phone will not receive text e-mails properly. What I mean is that if someone sends me an email to mynumber@tmomail.net, my phone does not receive it "properly". By properly I mean that depending on what texting app I use, I get completely different results:

• With the default Android messaging app (sidenote: holy poo poo when did they add the ability to text from a laptop finally??) I will receive the text, but it will show up as an MMS and it asks me to "download" the text and never does. I can only see the subject line, not the text in the body of the e-mail.

• With PulseSMS, I won't receive the text at all. I will have no clue that I received it unless I go into the default Android texting app or Textra.

• With Textra, I receive a text that does not show the subject at all, but shows the body! How weird is that? Except at the end of the body text it says some jumbled crap like "s/wapenc?T=mavodi-6-13b" and a bunch of other weird gibberish. Maybe that's a clue?

I ruled out it being an issue with T-Mobile because I put my SIM card into my wife's Google Pixel XL which is basically identical to my phone, and I got the text just fine on her phone. I checked her APN settings against mine to see if maybe something was different in there, but they are identical.

Does anybody know what could be going on? I have NO issues receiving normal texts or MMS pics/videos. I just can't receive texts from e-mails sent to mynumber@tmomail.net and I have to admit defeat that I have no clue what the hell could be wrong on my phone causing this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

how much you want to bet the same poo poo he does to windows 10 he does to his phone

i didnt ask but why would anyone use the email to sms portal anyway when they could EMAIL HIS loving EMAIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

why the gently caress is that still a thing you can do on any carrier??