Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

everythingWasBees posted:

Generalizing players based on races is really kinda of unsettling, for a whole myriad of reasons. Like maybe don't be discriminatory towards people playing what they think is cool in a fantasy game?

You shouldn't pay attention to anything he posts anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Archyduke posted:

Mega agree. I think performative "har har catboys/potatoes/giraffes" fantasy racism is, at best, a pretty tacky joke in 2018, when you're pretty likely to come across actual neo-nazis in Novice Network or shouting in Rhalgr's Reach. I've had to boot people from NN for loudly and consistently saying that people like me, IRL I mean, should be put into gas chambers. When we have that kind of stuff to put up with day in and day out what's the good in ironically modeling the way we joke about our leisure time after the same poo poo?

Like, at the end of the day it's just fake pixelated wizards and elves, but is anyone actually laughing and getting a kick out of this schtick? When people blather on about "<x> master race" in any context is nobody else just a little creeped out by the thought of what saturating our rhetorical spaces with that kind of stuff does in the long-run? Where's that poster who just posts their cool duskwight glams, I'd rather see somebody earnestly and enthusiastically stoked about their character and getting them to look a way that's pleasant to them in this piss world than have everybody inexplicably pretend to be fantasy racist as some weird extended bit.

And full disclosure, I don't play a miqote, I play a lalafell, so I don't know, do your potato joke or whatever you need to do.

Empty quoting

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Archyduke posted:

When people blather on about "<x> master race" in any context is nobody else just a little creeped out by the thought of what saturating our rhetorical spaces with that kind of stuff does in the long-run?

So to drop the act for a sec and be serious, my answer to this is a resounding "No, never, not even a little bit", because the idea of people (either in support or against) taking this seriously is just laughable to me. Like what?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You're pretty new to the internet, huh?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Archyduke posted:

Where's that poster who just posts their cool duskwight glams

I am a poor substitute for that poster but this is my current duskwight glam.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Is it generalizing if drat near every male roe player I've met (including myself) is a gay male?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

As someone not at all invested in this either way I feel like getting defensive and decrying racism against your character is a lot sadder than putting down the catbois

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Archyduke posted:

Mega agree. I think performative "har har catboys/potatoes/giraffes" fantasy racism is, at best, a pretty tacky joke in 2018, when you're pretty likely to come across actual neo-nazis in Novice Network or shouting in Rhalgr's Reach. I've had to boot people from NN for loudly and consistently saying that people like me, IRL I mean, should be put into gas chambers. When we have that kind of stuff to put up with day in and day out what's the good in ironically modeling the way we joke about our leisure time after the same poo poo?

Like, at the end of the day it's just fake pixelated wizards and elves, but is anyone actually laughing and getting a kick out of this schtick? When people blather on about "<x> master race" in any context is nobody else just a little creeped out by the thought of what saturating our rhetorical spaces with that kind of stuff does in the long-run? Where's that poster who just posts their cool duskwight glams, I'd rather see somebody earnestly and enthusiastically stoked about their character and getting them to look a way that's pleasant to them in this piss world than have everybody inexplicably pretend to be fantasy racist as some weird extended bit.

And full disclosure, I don't play a miqote, I play a lalafell, so I don't know, do your potato joke or whatever you need to do.

:agreed: I don't really mind the whole lol potatoes/giraffes/underdressed boulders jokes, even though most of them are kind of boring and overdone and probably normalize bad things to some degree, but some people get way too serious about their fantasy racism. Probably because they are, in fact, racists! Just play what you like and let other people play what they like.

Also, :blush: i post about the game occasionally though

Speaking of the game, I kind of want to drop a Deathflare on whoever designed Kefaust. I'm trying to optimize it right now, and all of those invulnerable phases make it a pain in the rear end to get those Trances and Bahamuts and Aetherflows lined up all nice and pretty. :argh:

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 9, 2018

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

What is it that attracts the worst people to catboys?

While there are terrible players everywhere, I feel like the catboys are a fuggin honeypot trap for the worst people in the game.

If you want a somewhat serious answer about this at all. In my experience a lot are Seekers of the Sun who made their character wanting to be a Nunh seemingly. Drawn to the race because 'they get a harem of sexy cat girls'. I don't encounter any specific race with more assholes then others though. Technically I could say that the Elezen are the players who I see be poo poo the least but that's probably because they don't exist. (Says this having actually fought Kefka along side Solo Wing Pixy before but didn't say anything. At least....I was pretty sure it was her, character looked the same and I never see Dusk Wights.) Being on Balmung might skew my perception somewhat on these things though.

My personal fantasy racism is Lalafell though. Mostly because I need to heal them and can never find their tiny asses. Partly because of some dick lalafells I've run into over time, and partly because Teledji Adeleji.

For a lighter topic. Made my first attempt at clearing Heaven on High today and my group managed it.....now to do it three more times for the fancy mount.

Don't normally wear that but I was running thin on glamours to wear for every set of 10 floors by the end. And used my only solo picture from it in case my friends would care about it.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Is it generalizing if drat near every male roe player I've met (including myself) is a gay male?

My gay male friends all play Miqo'te in game and its tied between the genders. Last time someone I knew played a male roe was early ARR, I encounter way more femroes then male ones these days.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Picked up Samurai again and a FC mate crafted me a full set of 350 gear. Been practicing my rotation and can clear O5S and Byakko EX dummies just fine so I'm doing pretty swell. More importantly, the 350 crafted gear has a nice murder hobo look to it so I've been enjoying the fashion endgame.

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkOQ-tKGlA

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 9, 2018

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I solo cleared Heaven on High to floor 65 on machinist. I died because I magicite'd a floor and got sloppy, hit a luring trap, and stumbled on getting another pomander out.

Nobody should ever do this.

I'm probably going to do it again next time I have a free weekend. It is much more fun than Palace was.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't associate the catboy jokes with neonazis but they're still bad and also lmao at the person who said 99% of people who post pics on reddit are catboys. Like that's just demonstrably false, especially if you include commissions which is like overwhelmingly catgirls and dragongirls.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
In my experience people closest to the default Midlander are the worst because their lack of curiosity at character creation applies to the rest if the game systems as well.

Fantasy racism and co opting rasict rhetoric for it as a joke is admittedly pretty tired and bad, but in MMO terms certain character types do always attract higher proportions of inept goofuses.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

great big cardboard tube posted:

As someone not at all invested in this either way I feel like getting defensive and decrying racism against your character is a lot sadder than putting down the catbois

Not against your character, but rather that the rhetoric parallels real world racist rhetoric, and some people can find that unsettling or creepy.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Midlanders are fine, too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I play an Elezen and sometimes get called a giraffe, which bothers me. Mainly because giraffes aren't a thing in Eorzea. Call me a dhalmel, if anything. :argh:

I also have a Lalafell friend who calls herself a potato.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

^^^

Me and my grandpa.

Elentor posted:

I'm glad the money was helpful! You two had the most impressive pair of houses for me, because of how different from each other they were and at the same time how each one was incredibly thematically cohesive. Since you already posted yours, here are some screenshots I took while on the other one:
:cheers:
I really like housing, and fitting the weird odds-and-ends Square gives us into a coherent space. I'm lucky that Geno and two more friends of ours gave me free rein in their houses, so I get a good amount of space to work with.
This friend told me he wanted something "Cape Cod" for his Mist small house. Google told me that meant light and nautical.

Mist 3, #48 if anyone wants to visit. I don't know if it's Cape Cod, but my friend liked it! The top floor is done, but the bottom floor's progress has been halted while I work on the new Medium plot.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I decorate my house entirely out of the junk my retainers occasionally bring me so seeing peoples' coherently put together houses puts mine to shame

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relax Or DIE posted:

In my experience people closest to the default Midlander are the worst because their lack of curiosity at character creation applies to the rest if the game systems as well.

To me it's the opposite, I pick a human in most games because the other options are just boring human-likes and they don't thrill me at all. Wake me up when I can play as a gaseous nebula, a hypercube shifting in and out of the our dimension or something crazy like Ozma, or at the very least let me be something not anthropomorphized, like a cat as tall as a person catching blue fire or a bear in spiked armor mauling poo poo up. I'll compromise and accept Red XIII as the Feral Form if needs be.

rhoga posted:

I really like housing, and fitting the weird odds-and-ends Square gives us into a coherent space. I'm lucky that Geno and two more friends of ours gave me free rein in their houses, so I get a good amount of space to work with.
This friend told me he wanted something "Cape Cod" for his Mist small house. Google told me that meant light and nautical.

Mist 3, #48 if anyone wants to visit. I don't know if it's Cape Cod, but my friend liked it! The top floor is done, but the bottom floor's progress has been halted while I work on the new Medium plot.

That's another crazily well put together house, you folks are on fire.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 9, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The only non-humanoid player race I can remember in an MMO were the flying squid people from CoH that they added as a prestige origin. And even then you still spent a fair amount of time looking like every other spandex-clad weirdo.

So, aurelea polyps for the new 5.0 race.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I would definitely play as a collection of mismatching-sized armor pieces suspended in a cube of jelly, but we all know that's much too sexy for Yoshida to sign off on.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rainuwastaken posted:

I would definitely play as a collection of mismatching-sized armor pieces suspended in a cube of jelly, but we all know that's much too sexy for Yoshida to sign off on.

Make the armor sometimes get absorbed and merge with the jelly. The overall jelly color is the average color of the armor pieces floating around like they're being slowly dissolved. The further inside the armor piece sinks the less visible it is. Like this thing I did in Unity a few years ago but a bit less dense:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mad Science posted:

This is a huge rear end image for a tank guide, but it has images at the bottom of it of all the AoE effects you might see from party members, if you want a visual reference: https://i.imgur.com/2ngxaQu.png

Oh wow, thanks! That looks like pretty much all I need. The Shadow Flare one was the one I noticed the most.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I decorate my house entirely out of the junk my retainers occasionally bring me so seeing peoples' coherently put together houses puts mine to shame

If you or anyone on Excalibur wants some help, let me know. I would be happy to check out your house or apartment and give some advice. Hell, give me permission and some renovation funds and I'll go to town myself, but I understand if you're not okay giving a weird internet stranger a sack of money and the keys to your house.
Ign is Rosineaux Montevere

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Elentor posted:

Make the armor sometimes get absorbed and merge with the jelly. The overall jelly color is the average color of the armor pieces floating around like they're being slowly dissolved. The further inside the armor piece sinks the less visible it is. Like this thing I did in Unity a few years ago but a bit less dense:

6.0 patch notes:
- Flan is now a playable race.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

"im a tank im not supposed to dps"

excuse me but at 50 the threat combo is the dps combo

:negative:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

viera when

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

itskage posted:

6.0 patch notes:
- Flan is now a playable race.

Excellent.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Chaeden posted:

If you want a somewhat serious answer about this at all. In my experience

This is the most damning reason to abandon these jokes

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are we talking about creeps?

Wish I took a snapshot of the lalafell standing under my character and making some remark of "the perks of being short"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....this puts the potatoes that used to congregate under my skirts when I would AFK at the Limsa aethyrite in a decidedly far more :gonk: light.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....this puts the potatoes that used to congregate under my skirts when I would AFK at the Limsa aethyrite in a decidedly far more :gonk: light.

If anybody stops moving about 3-4 feet from you for a long time, expect that they are using the camera to upskirt you.

Also, most of the ones running around in their underpants via Emperor's New whatever are using nude mods. Sometimes these two Venn diagram circles overlap.

Enjoy your stay!

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Force everyone to be catgirls with that one face they all use

Only play male catgirl if you like running like crash bandicoot

slev fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 9, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

rhoga posted:

I love my jokey apartment shrine to best admiral, but I wish one of my friends would let me go in and do something like that with his house. Don't think he's done anything besides set up like a cot and a few dolls.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thundarr posted:

If anybody stops moving about 3-4 feet from you for a long time, expect that they are using the camera to upskirt you.

Also, most of the ones running around in their underpants via Emperor's New whatever are using nude mods. Sometimes these two Venn diagram circles overlap.

Enjoy your stay!

Fortunately, I haven't idled in a city like that ever since TPT got the toolbox way back when.

Man, I miss the toolbox. It's just *not the same* out here in Kugane. The marketboard is way too close to the summoning bell is way too close to the aethyrite and we don't have any vendor NPCs within spitting distance or not inside.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I had a Lalafell say something about my character's butt being nice once.

Which is weird, because I play a guy and you'd think no one would thirst after male characters. Also, I wasn't wearing anything butt exposing. Also, post-1.0 butts. :shrug:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The Game just 90ked our healer on the floor 90 boss, twice in a row.

That honestly took all the fun out of HoH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

you'd think no one would thirst after male characters.:shrug:

It's more likely than you'd think!