Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

uhhhhhhhh, Midgardsormr, Bahamut, and Nidhogg might disagree.

Given if the automatic worship-generating mahcines had not been shut down Bahamut could, quite literally, continue to come back to terrorize Eorzea again and again forever.

If anything, doing those spoilery things has allowed Bahamut the juncture that he needs to reappear in a non-Allagan enslaved fashion, now that the sincere worship can resume.

And based on how Estinien's spear reacts when called, I wouldn't exactly count out Nidhogg, either.

There's probably some kind of critical mass you have to hit in order to become an undying eldritch abomination transcending time and space, existing outside the normal rules and framework of the universe, though.

Bahamut, the actual dragon is dead, Jim. This is basically the crux of why Tiamat is in willing imprisonment on Azys Lia- She was the one who helped create the Binding Coil by wishing for him back so hard with Ascian help she brought Bahamut the Primal upon the world, which lead to the dragon-worship torture machine that was Dalmud. She specifically waxes on how the abomination she helped create is very much not her beloved sibling but a twisted mockery taken and used to the detriment of all dragons

Also, considering the Azure Dragoon literally runs on Nidhogg-power there's a shot, but considering that doesn't seem to have been the case for Ratatoskr having been eaten and her power stolen by the original Heaven's Ward and all, and Nidhogg receiving a very definitive and character arc-finishing death at the end of 3.3 probably cements what's left as just Est wistfully giving character to what's left of Nidhogg's power running through him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

Hraesvelgr is kinda a dumb rear end in a top hat who seems to think dragon lives are inherently worth more than human/elezen/whatever ones.

Like, Estinien's motives are more reasonable than his; at least his family was actually killed by Nidhogg himself (or the army lead by him), as opposed to the random descendants of Nidhogg.

There is still quite a bit to the story you don't know.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SonicRulez posted:

When you piece together what happened between Allag and Meracydia through the Crystal Tower and Coil quests, you really get a feel for where Nidhogg and Hraesvalgr are coming from. They definitely aren't right or even reasonable, but they're understandable to a point. The dragons have a seriously good reason to be mad as hell.

Also this.

This isn't just a "This happened so long ago why are they still fighting". To Nidhogg, specifically, the wounds are still super fresh, as are the lies and betrayal that led to it.

Hraesvalgr just wants to be left alone and let the younger people do whatever, it's no nevermind to him. His wound still bleeds, he just wants to isolate himself. He doesn't care and I do not blame him.

Nidhogg wants the world to burn for his revenge. He is consumed by hatred and grief, and has been for a thousand years. To mention having some uppity Ishgardian running around with Nidhoggs eye to power himself up kind of pisses off the dragons like a lot

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Anyone want to guess when the next tier of crafting gear is coming out? Current BiS is fairly cheap right now, but I don't want to buy something that's going to be outdated in a month.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think the dragon in that DRK quest has a disease or something too. Or is basically committing suicide.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Do I ever get the ability to teleport to the waking sands directly?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

No. But it won't matter for very long.

You can take the ferry from Limsa, and it brings you right outside the Waking Sands. It's off beyond the merchant alley.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hommando posted:

Anyone want to guess when the next tier of crafting gear is coming out? Current BiS is fairly cheap right now, but I don't want to buy something that's going to be outdated in a month.

Did we not just get one? Needed Namazu stuff and all that? I think we're done til 5.0. Releasing new crafting stuff in 4.5 would be entirely pointless.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Did we not just get one? Needed Namazu stuff and all that? I think we're done til 5.0. Releasing new crafting stuff in 4.5 would be entirely pointless.

We'll get a set to hang with the last chunk of the current 8 man fights, but we've only got one or two rungs of crafting left, most likely. Wouldnt expect new gear until 4.4.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hommando posted:

ala mhigan gear came out in 4.1, and the 340 gear came out in 4.3.

you're pretty safe to buy now on the cusp of 4.4.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
If it follow the previous patch cycles then we're done for the expansion on getting new crafting gear.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Drizvolta posted:

Do note that when they say "a bit" of time investment they really mean a pretty decent amount of time.

It’s still likely faster than grinding sigma normals and tomes because of the weekly tome cap.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

spent some time over the weekend leveling DRG. running palace of the dead so i'm only up to the level 60 rotation right now but i'm liking it a lot?? with the caveat that there are too many buttons and i hear it only gets worse with the level 60-70 buttons. still, a very satisfying class to play once i had an understanding of what all the buttons did

tangentially related: is PotD still the fastest way to level dps

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Nastrond is kinda a mess of having to keep track of jumps and dive ready and mirage dives and how much time is left on blood and when geirskogul is going to come off of cooldown and how many eyes you have and which skills can be double-weaved and which ones cannot, all for managing literally One Button.

In conclusion buff everything 10% get rid of heavy thrust.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 6, 2018

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Safeword posted:

the fact that there's no aetheryte in vesper bay is a minor plot point (the ul'dah Syndicate doesn't like the scions and refuses to build one)

astonishingly, it doesn't make trekking over there for every other quest less annoying

but yeah eventually you won't have to return to that shithole anymore, keep going

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

:hmmyes:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Saint Freak posted:

Nastrond is kinda a mess of having to keep track of jumps and dive ready and mirage dives and how much time is left on blood and when geirskogul is going to come off of cooldown and how many eyes you have and which skills can be double-weaved and which ones cannot, all for managing literally One Button.

Alternatively, remove the timers for BotD and LotD entirely and have Nastrond cost gauge.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Alright, thanks guys. I've started stories in, uh...little Mah Gio, or something like that, in Thanalan. Everyone here is real grouchy with me for some reason!

Chipping away at gathering flame seals. I've liked this slow, if unintentional, progression from gladiatorial thrill seeker to holy defender and proud soldier.

GLD story was a bit limp though. There was no actual arena combat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Safeword posted:

GLD story was a bit limp though. There was no actual arena combat.

They put it in the Stormblood PLD quest. I love PLD as a job but it's got one of the absolute worst stories until SB.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The 30-50 and 50-60 PLD stories are orders of magnitude more incomprehensible, unfortunately. The 60-70 PLD story is what the GLA story should have been.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Little Ala Mhigo. Everyone's grouchy because they lost their home and no one's really helping out. It's a big plot point in Stormblood.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

World War Mammories posted:

but yeah eventually you won't have to return to that shithole anymore, keep going

This is a lie. Eventually you won't have to go there nearly as often, but Pray Return To the Waking Sands.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

Also this.

This isn't just a "This happened so long ago why are they still fighting". To Nidhogg, specifically, the wounds are still super fresh, as are the lies and betrayal that led to it.

Hraesvalgr just wants to be left alone and let the younger people do whatever, it's no nevermind to him. His wound still bleeds, he just wants to isolate himself. He doesn't care and I do not blame him.

Nidhogg wants the world to burn for his revenge. He is consumed by hatred and grief, and has been for a thousand years. To mention having some uppity Ishgardian running around with Nidhoggs eye to power himself up kind of pisses off the dragons like a lot

One thing I've wondered for a while now is what's powering me and Esty?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh no blimp issue posted:

One thing I've wondered for a while now is what's powering me and Esty?

You've got two things going for you: the Echo, a supernatural power with several manifestations (with yours allowing you to see glimpses of the past and possible futures) that protects you from being tempered by primals, and the blessing of light, a connection to Hydaelyn that protects you against the power of the Ascians. Estinien is empowered by the eye of Nidhogg, which contains an enormous reservoir of aether that the Azure Dragoon can tap into.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

For Estinien not quite? The eyes are destroyed, and he wasn't even in possession of them through out all of Stormblood. He does mention that he's gotten a great deal more powerful following the events of Nidhogg's defeat, so him getting body jacked probably super charged his rear end so he doesn't need the eyes anymore, hell he might even have a psuedo-echo

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bolow posted:

For Estinien not quite? The eyes are destroyed, and he wasn't even in possession of them through out all of Stormblood. He does mention that he's gotten a great deal more powerful following the events of Nidhogg's defeat, so him getting body jacked probably super charged his rear end so he doesn't need the eyes anymore, hell he might even have a psuedo-echo

Well we were talking HW

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Safeword posted:

Teleport to Limsa Lominsa -> Aethernet to the Arcanist's Guild -> Ride the ferry to Vesper Bay.

The fact that the game doesn't specifically tell people about this tremendous shortcut is criminal.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I eventually found that. Would've been nice to know yeah, heh. Been taking the route from Horizon.

And booooo. Got to level 9 in my first Palace of the Dead run, only for a wasp to one shot me. :mad:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safeword posted:

I eventually found that. Would've been nice to know yeah, heh. Been taking the route from Horizon.

And booooo. Got to level 9 in my first Palace of the Dead run, only for a wasp to one shot me. :mad:

Yeah wasps have a one hit KO they channel at low HP. swhy you want frens for PoD

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Safeword posted:

I'm going to reveal the ultimate Final Sting secret that no one knows about : it's a melee-ranged ability that fails if you get out of its range before the cast ends.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Wait out for the boss that summons wasps, though. The Final Sting there can't be outranged.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Saint Freak posted:

Agreed.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Vermain posted:

You've got two things going for you: the Echo, a supernatural power with several manifestations (with yours allowing you to see glimpses of the past and possible futures) that protects you from being tempered by primals, and the blessing of light, a connection to Hydaelyn that protects you against the power of the Ascians. Estinien is empowered by the eye of Nidhogg, which contains an enormous reservoir of aether that the Azure Dragoon can tap into.

I meant after the end of SB, when Estinien destroyed the eyes

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I meant after the end of SB, when Estinien destroyed the eyes

At this point, I think you and Estinien are badass enough to be your own power source for this kinda thing.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

At this point, I think you and Estinien are badass enough to be your own power source for this kinda thing.

Are we still Azure Dragoons now? Or are we just really badass normal Dragoons?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Estinien is probably supercharged from aforementioned bodyjack and we were always giant aether battery to teleport around so much.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Are we still Azure Dragoons now? Or are we just really badass normal Dragoons?

You both still have the title, though I suspect it's more honorary than anything anymore.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

You both still have the title, though I suspect it's more honorary than anything anymore.

I'm going to try and ask at the lore panel at Fanfest. I need an answer!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

If you manage to ask it, do tell here. I'm pretty curious at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah Estinien seems like he's rolling with you and several other key NPCs in terms of dragon ball power levels at this point. That's why you take off your helmet, folks!