Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Anyone that actually subjects themselves to Q&A deserves this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

No.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

LordSloth posted:

I went through 20 pages of nausea-inducing politicians trying to find the context for this. I clearly remember the exact cartoon but doing this on a phone makes it even harder.

https://twitter.com/knightcartoons/status/1028592728966230017?s=21

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I hope there's a fight.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Fucks sake.

Why.

Why why loving why.

Stop negotiating with morons. Stop letting people who clearly have no loving idea about climate science dictate policy. Stop trying to find a compromise with people who are too stupid to realise renewables are in their best interests.

Kinda curious at what point we end up getting literal eco-terrorists. Clearly peaceful protesting and evidence saying "if we keep going down this path you are guaranteeing death for all of us" has done very little.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I hope there's a fight.
I hope there are no survivors.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-12/new-york-truck-driver-charged-after-australian-cyclist-killed/10110982

quote:

It is understood Ms Lyden was not wearing a helmet.

:siren:>>> It is understood Ms Lyden was not wearing a helmet. <<<:siren:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
pretty girl gets killed, let's hear about this for weeks

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Queensland strong, eh?

froglet posted:

Fucks sake.

Why.

Why why loving why.

Stop negotiating with morons. Stop letting people who clearly have no loving idea about climate science dictate policy. Stop trying to find a compromise with people who are too stupid to realise renewables are in their best interests.

Kinda curious at what point we end up getting literal eco-terrorists. Clearly peaceful protesting and evidence saying "if we keep going down this path you are guaranteeing death for all of us" has done very little.

froglet, welcome to politics.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
this is old but jfc

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

froglet posted:

Fucks sake.

Why.

Why why loving why.

You are kind of confusing Turnbull with someone who gives a gently caress here, and the haste with which they're proceeding smells of a clandestine donation to the party, which is exactly the kind of reasoning that would work on Turnbull.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/australias-child-refugees-are-being-diagnosed-with-swedens

quote:

Faced with these appalling scenes, and an unflinching government, lawyers and doctors have resorted to using the Australian Federal Court as a blunt instrument of extraction – retrieving dangerously sick kids from Nauru one by one.
The first child medical transfer was ordered in December. Since then, the National Justice Project has run about a dozen cases, and a handful more have been run by firms including Maurice Blackburn and Russell Kennedy Lawyers. There are more to come.
The lawyers make the same arguments over and over: The Australian government has a duty of care to these kids, and the medical facilities and psychiatric care available on Nauru are inadequate.
The government has repeatedly opposed the transfers, but so far, it is losing the legal battle. In some cases it has caved at negotiations, and in others, fought all the way to a court order. BuzzFeed News understands that since the cases started flowing against the government, it has provided additional funding to child and adolescent mental health services on Nauru. (Home Affairs did not respond to questions on this.)
Decisions published by the Federal Court offer glimpses into the severity of the situation. In December 2017, the government was ordered to remove a suicidal young girl from Nauru. A suicidal 10-year-old boy followed in March. On July 3 a seriously ill 2-year-old, and on July 11 a suicidal 17-year-old. Then on July 26, the girl with resignation syndrome.
Judges are not mincing words. On March 6, Justice Nye Perram wrote: “I note the next plane out of Nauru is on Wednesday 7 March 2018. To be quite clear, the boy and his mother should be on that plane.”
The lawyers running these cases are overworked, frustrated, and angry. George Newhouse from the National Justice Project is scathing of the “ineffective and inappropriate” method to get the kids medical treatment.
“It should not take teams of lawyers rushing up before a Federal Court judge to force a government to provide basic medical care and treatment to vulnerable kids,” he said. “There’s just no excuse for their dereliction of duty.”
Jennifer Kanis, head of social justice litigation at Maurice Blackburn, is angry too. She said the government went to “extraordinary lengths” to prevent the very sick 2-year-old girl receiving Australian medical care, instead sending her to Port Moresby. The court eventually ordered the toddler be brought to Australia.
“It’s just really frustrating,” she said. “I would have thought test the law once, test the law twice, now there’s a body of cases that are all saying the same thing. I’m finding that the government’s position on this is baffling.”
There is a dearth of lawyers currently doing the grim work, but according to Newhouse the answer does not lie with encouraging more firms to pick up the work pro bono.
“The solution is for the Australian government, and the opposition, to do what is morally and ethically correct and look after the lives of young children,” he said.
“It’s really not a job for lawyers. I’m happy to do it – actually I’m not really happy to do it – but it’s the government’s responsibility, and why are we doing it? Because they’ve abrogated their responsibility to these kids. And if they don’t watch out, a child is going to die soon.”
There was a New Yorker article about this a while back, fortunately linked in the Buzzfeed article. It's worth reading the entire thing. It's pretty clear this is an extreme response to great stress and hardship, and the only treatment is to allow the families to live in Australia

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Cartoon posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-12/new-york-truck-driver-charged-after-australian-cyclist-killed/10110982

I unironically hope that you get hit and killed by a drunk driver in a garbage truck.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tim Watts did a long thread on Barnaby Joyce's new book. It (the thread, not the book) is worth a read.
https://twitter.com/TimWattsMP/status/1028833399400611840
https://twitter.com/TimWattsMP/status/1028833402185633793

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Cartoon posted:

The real story here is that cyclists need protected paths and drivers need to not stop suddenly in cycle lanes. I mean the truck driver shouldn't have been drunk driving, but the sequence of events started when the uber driver failed to give way to the cyclist.

Of course, that's not going to happen, blah blah we a helmet etc.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

I unironically hope that you get hit and killed by a drunk driver in a garbage truck.

:monocle:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Mad Katter posted:

Woah man you need some mayonnaise to calm down

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lol China just purchased Capilano Honey

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

RIP bees

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

is it on buzzfeed?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Anidav posted:

I have a real “bee in my bonnet” about this particular deal :twisted:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Beetphyxious posted:

is it on buzzfeed?

gently caress you beet!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

GoldStandardConure posted:

gently caress you beet!

sorry honey.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Wizard Master posted:

I have a real “bee in my bonnet” about this particular deal :twisted:

it is a bit of a sting in the tail

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i like chinese, they buy australian branded bees

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
honey, the yellow peril

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bandaid.friend posted:

honey, the yellowbox peril

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00aOUfeEZMM

:v:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

WU TANG CAPILANO BEES WE ON THE SWAAAARM

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/mpbowers/status/1028871979338686465

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

why do they all look partially melted

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ed electrocuting himself while trying to fly a remote control helicopter in the studio is the greatest moment in radio history.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sounds like Queensland alright

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Testekill posted:

Sounds like Queensland alright

Just a joke between mates.

Wait I should hire a lawyer???

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Haha joke's on you, I was merely pretending to be a huge piece of poo poo!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Actually if China starts purchasing honey companies maybe someone will start giving a gently caress about the bees

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/thejuicemedia/status/1028783270207488000

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

*does mannerism*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Box of Bunnies posted:

*does mannerism*

Holy poo poo that’s an old meme

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i hear voting is mandatory in australia so there's a mod poll for the thread now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Congratulations Joseph Stalin

• Locked thread