Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Doing a fakeout where all of the prerelease material suggests one protagonist, then the game surprises you with another protagonist.

You remember when MGS2 did it and everyone liked it and the new protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Translation:
Is the new Spider-Man game going to be like Metal Gear Solid 2 where the real main character of the game was someone different than expected so instead of Peter Parker we'll actually play as Miles Morales for most of the game?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

So do we know yet if they’re MGS2’ing this thing? It would make sense in a learning the ropes/mechanics stylee.

It doesn't seem like it. They've said that there are sections you play as Peter out of costume too, and the white spider logo costume is one he designs.

But there seems like a good chance that we might play as Miles too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I definitely don't think they're including Miles just as a background character. Not after closing the announcement trailer with his appearance.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Peter will only be in mini games where he delivers pizza, in homage to SM2.

Edit - And chases balloons.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I get to do Newsarama's review of the game, and it should go up early next week.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You don't get to play as miles but doc ock takes over as superior Spider-Man

this is not spoilers I just made that up don't yell at me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

I definitely don't think they're including Miles just as a background character. Not after closing the announcement trailer with his appearance.

I'd really love if they did something with him but considering it sounds like there's also a couple MJ levels where you're just kinda loving around as her and never do it again I'd be shocked if the best Miles could hope for was beyond a level or two of 'now you're Miles, take some pictures of this cool thing...ok go back to Spider-Man for the rest of the game again now'.

I'd love it if they went full Ultimate and Miles replaced Peter half way in or something, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sexpig by night posted:

I'd really love if they did something with him but considering it sounds like there's also a couple MJ levels where you're just kinda loving around as her and never do it again I'd be shocked if the best Miles could hope for was beyond a level or two of 'now you're Miles, take some pictures of this cool thing...ok go back to Spider-Man for the rest of the game again now'.

I'd love it if they went full Ultimate and Miles replaced Peter half way in or something, though.

I always thought it was dumb when they put Miles in the 616 they didn't use the 8 month jump post Secret Wars to not put Peter in a hospital for a month or two, then a month or two of him without his powers for a mysterious reason, giving a time frame that you didn't have to show in detail where Miles could get his powers and fill the gap of the missing Spider-Man, but then by the time the comics catch up Peter is healthy and mentoring him. The month or two without Spider-Powers is to explain how Peter suddenly owns a company big enough to rival Stark (he just needs to loving apply himself).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

Translation:
Is the new Spider-Man game going to be like Metal Gear Solid 2 where the real main character of the game was someone different than expected so instead of Peter Parker we'll actually play as Miles Morales for most of the game?

Why the hell would anyone think a Sony product would do something that risky.

This is like those people who not only believe Jar Jar is a sith lord but actually think he will show up in episode 9 as the guy behind everything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

This is like those people who not only believe Jar Jar is a sith lord but actually think he will show up in episode 9 as the guy behind everything.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was a playstation exclusive.

But it is a completely insane idea given the amount of advertising around the game, and especially all the alternate costumes, the fact that it would leek, if not before anyone played it, within hours of the the first person able to play it, playing it. I can't imagine any triple A game trying something like that today

Is the Spider-Punk costume pre-order exclusive? I might have to pre order depending on what my bank account looks like after I pay rent.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

Is the Spider-Punk costume pre-order exclusive? I might have to pre order depending on what my bank account looks like after I pay rent.

No.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Googling tells me none are exclusive, but but pre ordering gets you Spider-Punk (and two other ones that I would never wear because they aren't Spider-Punk) immediately instead of having to unlock it. So now I'm wavering, but slightly leaning towards pre-order.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lurdiak posted:

Have you ever heard of this little thing called Death Stranding

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samuringa posted:

I am not convinced that is a product at all.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I am not convinced that is a product at all.

edit: Content

My girlfriend who is NOT a gamer saw that trailer and is getting really excited to play it. I'm like... ehhhhh don't invest until this actually gets a release date.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Medullah posted:

Peter will only be in mini games where he delivers pizza, in homage to SM2.

Edit - And chases balloons.

I unironically would buy a PS4 and this game if this was true.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Samuringa posted:

Kojima unbound is going to be completly insane and beautiful, but not make any sense without watching 10 hours of YouTube videos. It will make dark souls look like a straight forward story.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

twistedmentat posted:

Kojima unbound is going to be completly insane and beautiful, but not make any sense without watching 10 hours of YouTube videos. It will make dark souls look like a straight forward story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Death Stranding is just Hollywood Smash Bros but it's FedEx Delivery instead of fighting game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

No that's Star Citizen.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

OptimusShr posted:

I unironically would buy a PS4 and this game if this was true.

Press X to say "Pizza Time!"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Someone fixed the old music spider man trailer from before with the correct old music:

https://twitter.com/ikazombie/status/1035456694057201665?s=21

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mr Negative's 'Inner Demons' or whatever he calls his henchmen do look like toku cannon fodder dudes. :thunk:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did you guys see the photo mode trailer? They have comic book cover backgrounds and even the little cartoony 10cents Spidey face corner you can add.

https://youtu.be/RPVCyIb6lYM

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

efb

Yeah, it's a Sony-published game so it's GOTTA have a photo mode.

I fuckin' love photo modes tho.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Did you guys see the photo mode trailer? They have comic book cover backgrounds and even the little cartoony 10cents Spidey face corner you can add.

Also confirms a fight with Kingpin

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Mr Negative's 'Inner Demons' or whatever he calls his henchmen do look like toku cannon fodder dudes. :thunk:

They look like yakuza guys with embarrassing masks on to me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Aphrodite posted:

Holy poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

So, yes, Toku mooks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

to be fair that's exactly what they are. Like I don't know if he explicitly was proper 'organized crime' but I'm pretty sure in the comics they're just mooks from his old gang he gave a massive magic infusion to and dumb masks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Black Cat coming at you in the first DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4MTPRu9Pr0

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So I've never pre-ordered something on the Playstation before, what time can you typically start downloading the game? I'm on the west coast.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bessantj posted:

Black Cat coming at you in the first DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4MTPRu9Pr0

I am so excited for this game

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm pretty sure there's a pre download in a day or two, and you can play the game Thursday night.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a pre download in a day or two, and you can play the game Thursday night.

Yeah, it will usually tell you when you can start downloading and I think there may even be a setting to automatically preload.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

So I've never pre-ordered something on the Playstation before, what time can you typically start downloading the game? I'm on the west coast.

It's Wednesday, though they didn't say the time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If you get it through the PSN store you can play it early?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

If you get it through the PSN store you can play it early?

No, it's a preload like Steam. It's only playable at the normal time (9pm Pacific Thursday/Midnight Eastern Friday.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aww. Well guess I'll just wait for it to be delivered on Friday.