Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

i am deeply concerned about the kernel version of my telephone operation system

this is actually a big dumb problem with android. every iOS update bumps up the kernel on every device to the latest version. android *never updates the kernel* from the version it shipped with, with the exception of added security patches. this means that if new things get implemented that require kernel and driver support, they cannot be supported even in recent devices. android is extremely hampered from getting software improvements due to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

in general though the whole thing was wankery and there was no real difference.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
now the 8 and x has a separate models with intel and qualcomm modem where the intel one is garbage and can't hold onto signals as well as the qualcomm model while being slower and can't do cdma

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

this is actually a big dumb problem with android. every iOS update bumps up the kernel on every device to the latest version. android *never updates the kernel* from the version it shipped with, with the exception of added security patches. this means that if new things get implemented that require kernel and driver support, they cannot be supported even in recent devices. android is extremely hampered from getting software improvements due to this.

does android at least use LTS kernels?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

coke posted:

now the 8 and x has a separate models with intel and qualcomm modem where the intel one is garbage and can't hold onto signals as well as the qualcomm model while being slower and can't do cdma

cdma is dead or will be soon, verizon is no longer accepting device registrations for it and wants to shut it down next year

real world cellular throughput is usually limited by the backhaul to the tower and how buggy the base station is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol the android people don't dare throw stones over battery issues after the note fiasco

um excuse me but 1 exploding iphone model represents like 1/40 of all iphones sold while 1 exploding android model could not possibly be more than .01% of all the android phones out there ipso facto wrap it up applailures

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The Management posted:

android is extremely hampered

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

android is extremely dumpstered

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKG7XRsG9KQ

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

android is extremely hamstered

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lmao. impeccable timing

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a22975697/samsung-foldable-phone/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wait no, hamsters live longer than android phones

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

does android at least use LTS kernels?

I don’t know enough to say. it seems like google chooses a kernel for each major release and supports that with security patches for a couple of years or so. of course that means the vendors have to accept the patches into their hacked up kernels and ship a new build, so it might eventually happen.

this means every phone that shipped with ice cream sandwich is still running the ice cream sandwich kernel, even if it has been updated to the latest OS (lol)

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol what the hell, that’s terrible. anroid

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

OldAlias posted:

lol what the hell, that’s terrible. anroid

the alternate option is for chip and device makers to make their drivers run on every new Linux kernel. they will never do this because it costs money, they just don’t care, and the Linux driver model is that they get to break every driver every release and gently caress you.

Microsoft gave them an example of how to do this and they were too dumb to see it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wonder what goog’s flagship phone is gonna be called once nexus pixel is deemed too toxic.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

wonder what goog’s flagship phone is gonna be called once nexus pixel is deemed too toxic.

Dongus

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i dunno but it better have AUDIOPHILE QUALITY AUDIO

redeyes posted:

Wha'd be swell would be a phone that worked on Verizon with audiophile quality audio AND a good camera, maybe wide angle. The LG Thinq 7 looks pretty close but it's camera is kinda sad compared to the Pixel 2. It's just never going to happen.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Andoird: It's Just Never Going To Happen

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I need audiophile quality audio for my anime

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

need dat gold plated headphone jack. the guy at best buy who sells me monster cables told me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

deleting all philes:ins:

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

There was a guy in that thread saying he didn't know if his phone was running out of ram while using the music player because he has several thousand flac files in his library

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lutha Mahtin posted:

isn't apple like the only manufacturer who even offers a reasonable way to buy a new battery

what's unreasonably about buying yumcha batteries off ebay with fake NFC coils stickers on them?

Pinterest Mom posted:

what's wrong with the 8 :confused:

8 nonplussed has an active recall for logic board replacement

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cool sounds like apple is supporting their hardware and fixing the problem what is the issue?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

~Coxy posted:

what's unreasonably about buying yumcha batteries off ebay with fake NFC coils stickers on them?

8 nonplussed has an active recall for logic board replacement

mine works fine

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Now consider that the portfolios of the iPhone 6, the iPhone 7, and the iPhone 8 have all exhibited major flaws stemming from the hardware design of the smartphones. While past performance is no guide to future stability, consumers are more adept at recognising patterns. The reliability of the Galaxy range in the mainstream media is streets ahead of the iPhone.

what's wrong with the 8 :confused:

"streets ahead" is joke from community about trying to force an expression that no one likes or wants

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LastInLine posted:

"streets ahead" is joke from community about trying to force an expression that no one likes or wants

Inappropes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

takin' it back

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
that's from clerks 2 which nobody likes

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

syscall girl posted:

that's from clerks 2 which nobody likes

Would you say you're the Clerks 2 of YOSPOS?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a real donkey show

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

syscall girl posted:

clerks 2 which nobody likes

yea. it was bad.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jeff Anderson, the guy who plays Randal Graves, moved into a retirement community at the ripe old age of 40. He pulled out of filming Clerks 3 to instead do nothing.

wikipedia posted:

On September 14, 2010, Anderson made his first appearance on Smith's SModcast filling in for Scott Mosier on SModcast #134. In his podcast, Anderson stated he had moved out of Los Angeles and into a "retirement community in the mountains" where he is "the youngest person there by 20 years."

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sounds pretty good to be honest. better than programming android phones

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Retiring young sounds rad. Much better than the actors who gently caress up their finances and have to endlessly take lovely roles (or just get addicted to making money.)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Would you say you're the Clerks 2 of YOSPOS?

yeah i got rosario dawson somehow

you know

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

ice cream sandwich
thank you

The Management posted:

ice cream sandwich
thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

I don’t know enough to say. it seems like google chooses a kernel for each major release and supports that with security patches for a couple of years or so. of course that means the vendors have to accept the patches into their hacked up kernels and ship a new build, so it might eventually happen.

this means every phone that shipped with ice cream sandwich is still running the ice cream sandwich kernel, even if it has been updated to the latest OS (lol)

i actually think this is the right approach, long as they keep up with the security patching for a reasonable amount of time. as the kernel driver support is irrelevant there is really nothing to be gained updating kernels pretty much ever

if anything changing kernels every major release seems more often than could reasonably be necessary, what are they really getting out of it?