Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sebmojo posted:

The idea of a canon setting where everything fits perfectly together and nothing is out of place makes me genuinely sad. So there is a contradiction: things don't make sense. why? Who lied? Cui fuckin bono? FOLLOW THE ELECTRUM PIECES

Who controls the canon?
Who profits from the canon?
Define canon.
Who created passive perception?
Everything is connected.
Fighters are warlords.
Everything is connected.
Study Greyhawk.
Study Dragonlance.
What happened re: Spellplague?
Skeleton economics.
Q

EDIT: Page 1488, perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

This is true! And this is how the people working on the Forgotten Realms for YEARS saw canon. Things don't make sense? Come up with a cool explanation to make it all fit, and make the world all the better for it. Just that takes effort and follow through and research which 5e ain't doing any of.

Greenwood was consulted on this and helped set everything up.

There has been quite a bit of effort. You have just being ignoring it cause of your hate for 5e. (And now complaining cause there is a minor continuity error In a new adventure.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 10, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

The Crotch posted:

Who controls the canon?
Who profits from the canon?
Define canon.
Who created passive perception?
Everything is connected.
Fighters are warlords.
Everything is connected.
Study Greyhawk.
Study Dragonlance.
What happened re: Spellplague?
Skeleton economics.
Q

EDIT: Page 1488, perfect.

Look, I'm not saying there are secret meetings where priests and paladins plan the destruction of undead, but the recent influx of human adventurers into our catacombs is no coincidence, and past dwarf immigration into our outer dungeons is hugely problematic. If we don't close our borders and force these lesser creatures away, we'll be facing the downfall of underworld society as we know it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bahamut in the realm was stated as being a subservient deity to Torm. In 4e overall Bahamut was the overall Lawful Good God. But in FR that was still largely Torm.

No the Arcane Brotherhood is not led by a Lich at the moment. And is not in charge of the High Captains as Jarlaxle is in charge now. Were did you get that.

AO Rebuilt the Tablets of Fate and caused a new Sundering. As a effect pretty much every single dead god came back to life. Including Gods dead since 2e like Myrkul. So yes largely a reset button to get rid of some of the changes people really did not like about 4e, while not undoing everything that happened.

Nah Torms the god you picked when you're not sure what you want and want to get involved in religious politicing. Bahamat was the no drama clear cut good god the player picked.

From the wiki?

"A year later Arklem Greeth arrived and opened the Host Tower of the Arcane, quickly forming the Arcane Brotherhood. Within 43 years, Arklem's group had completely dominated all five of the High Captains, directing them to attack merchant shipping but to avoid boats flying the flags of Waterdeep for fear of bringing down the wrath of the Lords' Alliance. The High Captains became the public face of Luskan's government but no one was in any doubt as to who really reigned. While the High Captains still had temporal power and were given a large degree of respect by the populace, they took orders from Arklem and the Brotherhood that overrode any wishes they might otherwise have had.

Briefly, the attacks wound down as Arklem got older and more frail, almost coming to a stop just after an attempted coup within the Brotherhood in 1371 DR. When Greeth returned as a lich however, he exerted his influence once more and the High Captains became vastly more organized again almost immediately"

Looks like they knocked the old whizzard off and he came back as a lich again to reassert control.

Also extremely good that the setting itself is saying gently caress you to people who liked 4e. Thats cool I guess.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I feel like the real problem is that FR is the boringest setting they could have picked, and a non-significant portion of that is due to Ed Greenwood's self-insert Wizard Penis.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Nah Torms the god you picked when you're not sure what you want and want to get involved in religious politicing. Bahamat was the no drama clear cut good god the player picked.

From the wiki?

"A year later Arklem Greeth arrived and opened the Host Tower of the Arcane, quickly forming the Arcane Brotherhood. Within 43 years, Arklem's group had completely dominated all five of the High Captains, directing them to attack merchant shipping but to avoid boats flying the flags of Waterdeep for fear of bringing down the wrath of the Lords' Alliance. The High Captains became the public face of Luskan's government but no one was in any doubt as to who really reigned. While the High Captains still had temporal power and were given a large degree of respect by the populace, they took orders from Arklem and the Brotherhood that overrode any wishes they might otherwise have had.

Briefly, the attacks wound down as Arklem got older and more frail, almost coming to a stop just after an attempted coup within the Brotherhood in 1371 DR. When Greeth returned as a lich however, he exerted his influence once more and the High Captains became vastly more organized again almost immediately"

Looks like they knocked the old whizzard off and he came back as a lich again to reassert control.

Also extremely good that the setting itself is saying gently caress you to people who liked 4e. Thats cool I guess.

1371 is before the spellplauge. Arklem Greeth and his partner Valindra were defeated. Greeth is still inactive however Valindra has joined up with the Red Wizards. And the brotherhood fell into dormancy.

The year is around 1490 now. And the Wiki has not updated a lot of information.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 10, 2018

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I feel like the real problem is that FR is the boringest setting they could have picked, and a non-significant portion of that is due to Ed Greenwood's self-insert Wizard Penis.

What it does, however, have is brand recognition.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Baulder's Gate Novels have been declared non canon and the remastered game elevated to canon in their place.

So just to clarify, this is an extremely melodramatic way of saying "The parts I like are the realest", rather than any kind of official announcement about what is and is not to be considered the realest?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Glad to see the FR setting is itself as ambiguous as the D&D ruleset.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I love this thread, not least for the phrase 'double gently caress you to elminster whiners'.

While we're on historical forgotten realms rpg.net threads, have the magnificent '1st invitational kill elminster thread' which has, inter alia, elminster being trapped in a portable hole being pummeled with saps forever and being dominated by psionic hummus.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

1371 is before the spellplauge. Arklem Greeth and his partner Valindra were defeated. Greeth is still inactive however Valindra has joined up with the Red Wizards. And the brotherhood fell into dormancy.

The year is around 1490 now. And the Wiki has not updated a lot of information.

Ah good to know.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Any setting where I'm actually expected to remember explicit dates like it's a lovely history class is probably great for fiction and altogether worthless for actually playing in.

sebmojo posted:

I like the detailed but deliberately generic 13a one where the expectation is that you'll color between the lines.

The Icons are also really good at giving you immediate play in the setting. I'm not just some fucker, I'm some fucker who's personally hated by the Emperor himself for being that much of a fucker, and the elf queen adores it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Arivia posted:

That doesn't loving matter! This is your major creative property! This is the thing you license out to people to keep making lovely video games from! You control this property and are responsible for coordinating it! (You used to have a lot of people to help out with that but you told them all to go away.) You should be able to find your own rear end with two hands for it, especially for your big new product!

No. Don't make loving excuses for them. They hosed up. If they cared, they should have had the people they were paying to write this fix that issue, instead of creating it. The fact that they missed this, and left it for you the DM to fix, means it's a badly written adventure. They didn't do their job. They didn't do their job a lot of times this edition, and it's sad to see their lack of care and effort continue.

Lol

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like that it even has a city guide.

Out of curiosity which villain are you most interested in.

As Nehru's also in the thread I'm going to reserve actual plotting to PMs or whatever (there's enough unspoilered spoilers in here as-is) -

But one thing I do want to do is consistently apply a methodology of up-leveling the adventure for parties levels 5-10. Our currently party just hit 5 and I feel like the depth of the plot we're seeing in W:DH is expansive enough that frankly it makes more sense that slightly more seasoned adventurers are being utilized to solve for these challenges. Also, if I can document this in a way that ends up being fun & sane, I feel like others could benefit from this work too as an overlay for W:DH to make it usable for the 5-10 range which frankly is where a ton of fun gameplay takes place anyway.

I have Googled around a bit, but anyone have any specific guidance for this task they care to share?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My group is still working on LMoP. I had fun playing the Alderleaf halfling boy who found the tunnel like Gavin from Kids in the Hall.

But does it seem to anyone else like the two most interesting bits of that area: the Thundertree ruins and the banshee's lair are two of the most optional, skippable areas?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Imagined posted:

My group is still working on LMoP. I had fun playing the Alderleaf halfling boy who found the tunnel like Gavin from Kids in the Hall.

But does it seem to anyone else like the two most interesting bits of that area: the Thundertree ruins and the banshee's lair are two of the most optional, skippable areas?

Yeah my party never made it to Thundertree at all after finishing the adventure. No big deal, but it would've been cool for the new players in our group to see a fight against a dragon.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That dragon is a fucker and there's a good chance its breath attack will TPK turn 1.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

So just to clarify, this is an extremely melodramatic way of saying "The parts I like are the realest", rather than any kind of official announcement about what is and is not to be considered the realest?

I just decided to ask Greenwood. And he said basically neither are canon, but events very similar happened. So you can decide what is canon.

So yeah it was embellishment that I misremembered. Along with a bunch of stuff that goes more down the games path of having happened. I looked for the official word on it that I thought I remembered, but was unable to find it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 10, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
So, this is month 2 where instead of new content in Unearthed Arcana they just release a part of the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
:laffo: WotC so loving lazy they cannibalize the books they just released for UA instead of making their own.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo: WotC so loving lazy they cannibalize the books they just released for UA instead of making their own.

no you see it's not laziness it's a living document

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just decided to ask Greenwood. And he said basically neither are canon, but events very similar happened. So you can decide what is canon.

So yeah it was embellishment that I misremembered. Along with a bunch of stuff that goes more down the games path of having happened. I looked for the official word on it that I thought I remembered, but was unable to find it.

On twitter?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Pussy Quipped posted:

Yeah my party never made it to Thundertree at all after finishing the adventure. No big deal, but it would've been cool for the new players in our group to see a fight against a dragon.

Same thing with my group. They ended up befriending Garaele and going on a side quest marathon with her and Thundertree was on the other side of the map from literally all the other sidequests and there wasn't any good reason to make the trip after the banshee gave them the cave location.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

On twitter?

Yeah.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Link?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
On the one hand I would like to have the Artificer updated so it can be put into the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron so if I manage to play the Eberron AL stuff I could try it out, on the other hand I doubt it will be nearly as good as this Revised Artificer someone made.

Seriously it has something like 7 subclasses that seem like they would all play relatively differently, and would make it so someone could run an all Artificer group, an Artificer's Guild if you will, where each character could have a different subclass.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

All these spoilers for Dragon Heist and nothing about the best/worst character name ever smdh

Flooooooooooooooooooooooooon

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1039192358343065600

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

So when you said

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Baulder's Gate Novels have been declared non canon and the remastered game elevated to canon in their place.

that wasn't based in anything that actually happened, but rather 100% standard MonsterEnvy bullshit, right?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's a pretty good answer.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

sebmojo posted:

From Ed? Yeah, it's the "It's what you want it to be" answer that has always been the standard response to these questions.

Which is why I was asking. If "declaring non-canon" or "elevating to canon" is now a D&D thing, then I was going to lose my last shred of interest in published setting stuff because gently caress that stupid poo poo forever.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 11, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Everything is true until its not true.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

Everything is true until its not true.

It's way better than "this is the right way to imagine the thing now, please adjust your memory accordingly".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

So when you said

that wasn't based in anything that actually happened, but rather 100% standard MonsterEnvy bullshit, right?

I already apologized for it.

Me earlier posted:

So yeah it was embellishment that I misremembered. Along with a bunch of stuff that goes more down the games path of having happened. I looked for the official word on it that I thought I remembered, but was unable to find it..

I wrote that post poorly cause I was sleepy. What I was trying to say there was "Because of a bunch of the stuff in the lore was following what happened in the games rather then the novels, and me remembering WotC posting something like the game being canon over the novels. I thought that was the case. However I could not find any postings on that topic. So it's a good chance It was just my memory playing tricks on me and did not actually happen."

It's why I decided to ask Greenwood and Perkins, just to get an answer.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I accept your apology and regret to inform you that when you are inadvertently called a lying, backpedalling sack of poo poo as usual it must obviously be regarded as an unfortunate typographical error that was regrettably posted while someone was tired.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

I accept your apology and regret to inform you that when you are inadvertently called a lying, backpedalling sack of poo poo as usual it must obviously be regarded as an unfortunate typographical error that was regrettably posted while someone was tired.

You’re a lying, backpedaling sack of poo poo MonsterEnvy. :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

No the error was that my post saying I was wrong was not very clear. Cause I already said I was wrong a while back, and that had nothing to do with being tired, or being bad at typing. I was just wrong. I thought something was true that was not. That's all it was. Not lying or backpedaling. I was just wrong about something I thought was true.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

You’re a lying, backpedaling sack of poo poo MonsterEnvy. :)

Go to hell.

(Ideally in a 5e game. That you have fun with. You would probably hate that even more.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Go to hell.

Lol dude if you have this many problems admitting you were wrong about something and 5e isn’t perfect you might want to talk to a therapist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Lol dude if you have this many problems admitting you were wrong about something and 5e isn’t perfect you might want to talk to a therapist

Already said I was wrong like 8 hours or so ago. Now you guys are just insulting me for it. Which is why I am getting annoyed.