Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
programmed to hate women?? wtf he's not an engineer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I too have made the mistake of recently watching Voyager. It seemed like bog standard Trek. I saw the Tuvix episode today and it pretty much soured the entirety of my day. I'm told it gets "better" in the third season. God help me :downsgun:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

programmed to hate women?? wtf he's not an engineer

but he was programmed by an engineer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

but he was programmed by an engineer

His programmer shows up in DS9 and is about what you'd expect. Probably forgotten since it's also when Bashir's parents show up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Doc Zimmerman also gets an episode in Voyager, where the holodoc gets zapped over from Voyager to help diagnose and treat his creator.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pinterest Mom posted:

That's basically what Little Green Men is about!

"I'm trapped in the past? Awesome, I get a 400 year head start on building my business empire!"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I like that Quark has no idea about human culture other than root beer and baseball. It felt like a cute way of reversing the usual one-dimensional alien cultures we see - Quark only knows a few humans, and assumes they're completely representative of human culture and society.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I skipped a bunch of pages because I assumed that "discussion" on the Prime Directive went on forever. Did I miss anything good?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

womb with a view posted:

I skipped a bunch of pages because I assumed that "discussion" on the Prime Directive went on forever. Did I miss anything good?

Sisko and Curzon probably traded a few blows

according to Pick

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Sisko and Curzon probably traded a few blows

according to Pick

oh

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watched meridian last night. It honestly wasn't as bad as I remembered.

One huge glaring plot hole though. The one guy initially offers to go with Jadzia and leave his world but eventually decides he just can't do it. Much like poochy, his people need him.

Why don't they just all loving leave? They crash landed on there. They don't seem overly attached to the land like crazy federation people. They are scared that they are eventually going to be trapped in the other dimension as energy and cease existing altogether. If leaving is an option, one they just never had cause there was never a starship around, they should all just leave!! Their homeworld might even still exist if it wasn't destroyed by the Dominion.

Also lovely epilogue for them thanks to the ending of DS9. Starfleet has the technology to fix their star and will do it, but it will take a few years. Sucks to be them, that wormhole gets loving closed in a couple. Starfleet ain't coming back.

Sisko, Bashir, and Jadzia really had a stellar performance though

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 8, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Bloop posted:

I don't know of any resource taking, but observation isn't removing anything from the observed.

What do you suggest they do? Find iron age civilizations and just beam in and give them replicators, phasers, and sonic showers? Do you think that we should allow "uncontacted tribes" on Earth right now to remain uncontacted, or do we set up a starbucks and an amazon dot com kiosk there ASAP (it will be a sweatshop, actually)

All of you people talking about this should just read Hard To Be A God and be done with it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

All of you people talking about this should just read Hard To Be A God and be done with it

Looks interesting and I'll check it out, but if it's OK with you I'm still going to have discussions on the discussion board and not assume that a Sci-Fi novel written in the 60s makes conversation obsolete

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Bucswabe posted:

3) let Wesley be executed for stepping on flowers.

Yes.

Next question?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Let? Let?

My god, they should have placed Wesley in the middle of a meadow with a chair five meters away, and posted armed guards all around. Let nature take its course.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This is where your whole weird problem falls apart. Of course they CAN tell that story, they just don't because that would be loving boring and this is an entertainment product, not a totally sweet grad school essay that turns pop culture on its head by viewing it through the lens of dialectical materialism, maaaaan.

The universe as written portrays the Prime Directive as a perfectly fine idea that works fine in the vast majority of cases. What we get to see are the exceptions to the rule, because that's what creates dramatic tension. If Star Trek society was perfect, it would be a boring, lovely show. Source: TNG season 1.

i like season 1

but i also would have liked wesley to be executed, such is life

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

The Bloop posted:

The seven Orbs of the Profits light throughout the galaxy, and only Discovery can reach them

Ginger
Scary
Sporty
Baby
Posh
Pumpkin
Spock

Pumpkin Spock Latte.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

i like season 1

but i also would have liked wesley to be executed, such is life

I like season 1 just for the very last episode where they unthaw the 80s banker dude just to tell him his poo poo sucks and his way of life along with everything he believed in has been over for centuries

it's cathartic

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That dude becomes an ambassador in beta canon so actually his skills, like all persons in finance, are respected and valued, suckaaaaa!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

I like season 1 just for the very last episode where they unthaw the 80s banker dude just to tell him his poo poo sucks and his way of life along with everything he believed in has been over for centuries

it's cathartic

Modern day equivalent would be unthawing some San Fran tech entrepreneur.

“You did not change the future, and no one remembers you or what you did. Lol”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HD DAD posted:

Modern day equivalent would be unthawing some San Fran tech entrepreneur.

“You did not change the future, and no one remembers you or what you did. Lol”

Remember famous spaceflight pioneer Elon Musk? Up there with Zefram Cochrane and the Wright Brothers

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The wright brothers were famous for calling people pedos

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also having a seriously weird relationship with their sister.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The entire mirror universe plotline exists because of that line

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is going to age so well

Especially considering it was groanworthy to begin with

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Those idiots, it's two made up names and one real.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

This came out a year ago and it's already dated.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Those idiots, it's two made up names and one real.

Elon Musk does sound like an Antedian name, in fairness

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pick posted:

Also having a seriously weird relationship with their sister.

This was mostly Orville being weird and codependent iirc, Wilbur was less nuts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe Mirror Musk was a totally normal human being who spent less time on twitter

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Mirror Musk is my least favorite Tom Ford scent

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Elon Musk is more of a Star Wars name, like Plo Koon, or Borbo Rygmus

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

That dude becomes an ambassador in beta canon so actually his skills, like all persons in finance, are respected and valued, suckaaaaa!

I mean in one way it's nice that even total assholes like him are redeemable in the future of Star Trek

On one hand I almost can't fault the writers for thinking they were being super clever and topical by doing that but on the other hand one would hope the people behind Star Trek of all things would be a little less clueless

Like it's important that we have reusable boosters now but

it's because a rich guy paid a bunch of people to finally make them instead of continuing to grift world governments out of billions of dollars for more expendable rockets like the weapons manufacturers that built the shuttle and now the SLS would have

I mean does that make Elon a visonary? because that smells like bullshit to me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s because Elon Musk took some producer out to dinner, let’s be real.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Okay, hands up if you googled these just to check to see if they're really Star Wars names...

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Yeah that sounds like a pretty typical jizz-wailer name.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tighclops posted:

On one hand I almost can't fault the writers for thinking they were being super clever and topical by doing that but on the other hand one would hope the people behind Star Trek of all things would be a little less clueless

In Mass Effect: Andromeda, you can get a scale model of the SpaceX rocket for your bedroom display along with models of starships and the space shuttle and whatnot. :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuG2AVFB-g0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tighclops posted:

it's cathartic

Plus he's got boneitis