Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Repeal Costa Hawkins and Ellis Act

Can a Dem supermajority overturn the 2/3 requirement for tax and budget increases?

I don't think so, I think those would require another ballot proposition (which is how they were enacted in the first place.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Revamping the state constitution would be pretty hilarious, or alternatively extremely bad if Facebook managed to get tech companies designated feudal lords.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

theblackw0lf posted:

Repeal Costa Hawkins and Ellis Act

I doubt there's much political will to repeal Costa Hawkins. Voters just overwhelmingly declined to repeal it via ballot prop, so it would be a bad look for the legislature to turn around and do it anyway. poo poo rent is here to stay, I'm afraid. :(

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ammanas posted:

tbf california never went very reactionary after the 2008 collapse devastated the state. admittedly the broad political climate wasn't a freight train on fire rocketing toward cosplay fascism like it is now but we hold the line here pretty well.

That could be because the urban areas weren’t hit that hard. Sure, Vallejo, San Bernardino, and a couple other towns that were hardly liberal bastions went bankrupt, but they’ve since recovered (Vallejo’s the next on the gentrification train and San Berdino is basically one of the few places left in SoCal where a middle class family can afford to buy a home). Compare this to the rust belt where the economy is still not great.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

I doubt there's much political will to repeal Costa Hawkins. Voters just overwhelmingly declined to repeal it via ballot prop, so it would be a bad look for the legislature to turn around and do it anyway. poo poo rent is here to stay, I'm afraid. :(

If it makes you feel any better, rent is apparently poo poo worldwide

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/vbkaj8/i-tried-renting-out-my-hallway-cupboard-for-pound350

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Sydin posted:

Voters had no idea what they were voting for.

Though I want to see some polling on what people said.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Should have named it something like "repeal statewide regulations of rent control"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

He was literally unable to put anything in that space because he didn't adhere to the optional campaign finance restrictions.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MikeTokes/status/1062908981281120256

Of course we have conspiracy theories about a forest fire. :wtc:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Complications posted:

He was literally unable to put anything in that space because he didn't adhere to the optional campaign finance restrictions.

I'm well aware

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nothing can melt steel beams

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Steel is the strongest material known to man, apparently

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I mean, it’s not inconceivable that a few people are taking advantage of the inferno to do a little insurance fraud.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

themrguy posted:

I mean, it’s not inconceivable that a few people are taking advantage of the inferno to do a little insurance fraud.

Doubtful, read the Paradise GBS thread. The majority of the population was notified so late, and the fire moved so fast, that most people didn't have to do anything but jump in a car and run. One goon talked about how in the 10 minutes it took them to get dressed and in their car after receiving an evacuation order, the fire was already close enough that propane tanks in neighboring yards were blowing up from the ambient heat.

e. Also if you do read the thread be careful because people have posted some NSFW videos in there of people returning to the town after the fire had moved on and walking up to the charred skeletons of their friends and neighbors. :smith:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

nothing can melt steel beams

Gotta respect a consistent conspiratorial worldview

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
jeesus the air quality in SF has just gone purple and is getting worse every hour, I can't even imagine what it is like in Sacramento

edit: holy poo poo, Sacramento jumped from 201 to 311

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
san fran public schools are closed tomorrow because the air is that loving bad, i gather

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Stay safe, smoky goons.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

Doubtful, read the Paradise GBS thread.

I didn't realize there could be worse posters than me, but apparently there are.

At least I have the self-control to keep it to myself sometimes. :(

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

predicto posted:

jeesus the air quality in SF has just gone purple and is getting worse every hour, I can't even imagine what it is like in Sacramento

edit: holy poo poo, Sacramento jumped from 201 to 311

i had to tap out of work because I was struggling just to breathe and nearly collapsed

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Pomp posted:

i had to tap out of work because I was struggling just to breathe and nearly collapsed

Sacramento's at 340 now. Did the fire just double in size or something?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

So, rather than running tallies of the votes, you want the results all revealed at once, even if it still has to be days or weeks after the election is over. That, or you're insisting that the votes not be counted until every single vote is in, then all those votes counted at once and the results revealed after that.

The first of these is personal preference and not something to change the laws or process over, and only idiots and insincere assholes think that counting mail-in votes that arrive in the mail after the date voting itself ends because they were, you know, mailed, and that takes a while to happen, delegitimizes elections. The second is so stupid I'm not even going to bother addressing it in detail, it's just doing things extremely inefficiently for dumb reasons.
Jesus Christ, how small do the words I use have to be before you understand the very simple thing I am proposing. Some of you seem to have a lower reading level than Trump.

I never said I didn't want a running tally, no idea where you got that from.

Votes cast in person, early or on election day should be counted the day of the election.
Mail ballots recieved on, or prior to election day should be counted the day of the election.
Mail ballots that are recieved the next day should be counted on that day, ballots that are recieved the day after that should be counted on that day, ballots that are recieved the day after that should be counted on that day. At the point the election is finished and all ballots should be counted.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

How's that first year of college treating you?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Never expected San Diego to have the clearest air of any major city in the state but I guess that's where we're at right now.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
My watch is telling me not to go outside because the air isn't good to breathe, cool future we have here.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I'm going to go get a burrito. If I don't make it back it's because climate change killed me.

Also Young Kim is now officially losing:

https://twitter.com/CATargetBot/status/1063235610687692800

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Having the votes that arrive by mail at 4:30pm be counted that day seems pointlessly arbitrary. Your previous point about “legitimacy” is dumb and you’re clearly just afraid of our manchild president.

E: grab a stack of N95 masks from the hardware store , NorCal goons.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

we need to hope the stanford-cal game gets canceled on saturday because that may upset enough rich people that the government might actually do something about pg&e repeatedly turning the state into triple beijing

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I'm going to go get a burrito. If I don't make it back it's because climate change killed me.

Amazing. The ~liberal~ media ignored a Republican minority woman's win so hard it caused her votes to vanish.

In other news, CA-45 has officially been called for Porter! So long Mimi. If Kim goes down too, all of Orange County's House districts will be blue!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Jesus Christ, how small do the words I use have to be before you understand the very simple thing I am proposing. Some of you seem to have a lower reading level than Trump.

I never said I didn't want a running tally, no idea where you got that from.

Votes cast in person, early or on election day should be counted the day of the election.
Mail ballots recieved on, or prior to election day should be counted the day of the election.
Mail ballots that are recieved the next day should be counted on that day, ballots that are recieved the day after that should be counted on that day, ballots that are recieved the day after that should be counted on that day. At the point the election is finished and all ballots should be counted.

I want the election to run two weeks longer just to mess with you now. :v:

quote:

E: grab a stack of N95 masks from the hardware store , NorCal goons.

Yeah, do this fast, too. Last year when we had things this smoky, people were buying out stores' supplies and trying to upcharge on Craigslist / EBay.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shear Modulus posted:

we need to hope the stanford-cal game gets canceled on saturday because that may upset enough rich people that the government might actually do something about pg&e repeatedly turning the state into triple beijing

They didn't cancel Cal/WSU last year and it was just as bad

Fake edit: Actually, I dug around and it was only 159 last year at kickoff, so it'll probably be worse this year

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i hope young kim enjoyed being at the freshman orientation :byewhore:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I tried to get some n95 masks but all the local places are either sold out or they donated them to places further north. So I ordered some off Amazon but they got lost in shipping.

Lung cancer is my fate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:getin:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

predicto posted:

around 3pm in downtown sac the visibility was probably 600 feet. i couldnt see buildings two blocks away. this is really something else, i hope itll lead to some meaningful changes (but know it won't)

the inside of my building was smokey, im considering skipping work this weekend if it doesn't improve

dems control all of CA government, now is the time to make some drastic and meaningful changes to improve our lives. if it costs billions so be it. we cant sit on our hands any longer.

too bad we have Gavin to lead us

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I would legit loving sue if I was on one of those teams and they tried to get me to perform incredible intensive physical activity with this air quality.

e: the football teams, not the firefighter crews in case it wasn't clear

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 16, 2018

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

I tried to get some n95 masks but all the local places are either sold out or they donated them to places further north. So I ordered some off Amazon but they got lost in shipping.

Lung cancer is my fate.

Now imagine you’re homeless

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

predicto posted:

Strong SW winds are blowing the smoke in the direction of Sacramento and the Bay Area, and high atmospheric pressure is causing that smoke to get trapped in valleys and preventing it from blowing out into the ocean. It also means the smoke is pushed down to ground level. Rather than the fire getting worse, it's just that the same smoke has been trapped in the same areas for a week now, while new smoke is blowing in and piling on top.

The video in this article explains it. It's the unfortunate perfect storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

Now imagine you’re homeless

Good point. Whenever my masks come in I'll make sure to donate the extras.