Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

the problem remains that a few tons here or there is more of a big deal at the bottom of the tonnage scale than at the top. an optimized cent/forcer/hunch is a significantly better mech than a vindicator, while the difference between 65-80t mechs with the same walkspeed is less noticeable.

45t and 60t are two of the worst weights in the game. even under weight limits, you're best off avoiding those weights whenever possible.

Are you sure you're not forgetting the 40t Cicadas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So, HBS definitely didn't playtest Joint Venture right? I can't even begin to understand how you're supposed to defend this base. There's 3 groups totaling 8 medium mechs, 2 heavies, and a heavy vehicle and they all attack at basically the same time. They mostly just ignore you and gun right for the buildings so there's no way to kill them before they finish the base. Are you just supposed to ignore this flashpoint until you've got all pimped out assault mechs? Maybe send one mech out to each group (discounting the hatchetman which is just gonna die as soon as an enemy looks at it funny) and hope the enemies focus on them for the 10 round counter but not so hard that they actually kill them? I'm kinda curious about the timer here too. Do you win if you survive that long? Or does it just throw some friendlies your way and you can still lose at that point?

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

it's a joke mech that only the designated yellow peril opfor faction uses
It is a joke mech, but everyone has them, and there are two designated yellow peril opfor factions. Capellans are notable users because they held the factory until it got leveled, and they're desperate enough to field them outside of city garrisons.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Do the enemies have the fuel-dump-mission ai where if you shoot them they'll ignore the base for a couple of turns?

Bring multi-target I guess, and the usually laughable stock designs that put a random LRM on a brawler would also have some use.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, I tried to go to the Joint Venture system in career mode....and the flashpoint just disappeared off the map. Did I do something wrong? Will it be available later?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tonight I finished my first play through of the campaign and now I'm working on career mode which is fantastic. This game is a lot of fun!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

LeSquide posted:

So, I tried to go to the Joint Venture system in career mode....and the flashpoint just disappeared off the map. Did I do something wrong? Will it be available later?

Flashpoints will expire after a while and can do so while you're in transit to the system, but they will reappear later. It's probably for the best though. Joint Venture is pretty much a showcase of everything that's not good in the game.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
So I had to move some files around on my computer today when I installed a new SSD and as part of that I moved around parts of my steam folder in Program Files(which is apparently where Battletech keeps its saves). Now when I load up the game none of my saves are showing up. Both Career and Campaign only have the NEW option available. I dug around a bit in the steam folder and found the save location and all the save files are still there as far as I can tell and when I started up a new dummy campaign it also dropped the test save in that same folder. But no matter what I do I can't get the game to "see" any of my old saves, I've tried restarting, reinstalling, renaming folders, and verifying via steam but nothing so far has worked. Anyone have any ideas?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Hatchetman is poo poo. Not only does a melee-oriented mech not have any point defense weapons, but it has a -5 penalty to melee damage from a chassis quirk.

Also how the hell do you equip the 6R variant of the Wolverine?

3 SRM 6, a small laser, max JJ and use it to get in close and just delete opponents rear armor. Can soften some up from the front real well while going in also.

Also, I forgot how ridiculous running into a pile of vehicles is on lunar maps. Yes, game, I love that I can only fire my weapons every other turn while they get to launch their entire ridiculous loadout every turn and never worry about heat.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 4, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Hatchetman is poo poo. Not only does a melee-oriented mech not have any point defense weapons, but it has a -5 penalty to melee damage from a chassis quirk.

Also how the hell do you equip the 6R variant of the Wolverine?

Same as the GRF-1N: 3xSRM6, 1xMLas, 2t ammo, 5 JJ, 2 heatsinks

It's worse at it than the griffin because the laser is on the head, but otherwise the loadout works.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Is joint venture the hatchet man reveal flashpoint? I didn’t see anything like the opfor described above and the waves were staggered. I was running mediums and a single heavy at that point. Iirc the opfor was mostly mediums maybe a single poo poo heavy like a QuickDraw or something.

Not saying the guy is wrong, just that there seems to be some variance to it.

What version, stem or GoG?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

And the answer to base defense is always to bukakke everyone with a mech or two with multi shot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many flashpoints are there, outside the alliance ones? People only seem to mention the same one or two.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Why are the capellans poo poo on in almost every succession war? Some one in the lore department must have had it out for them.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

deathbagel posted:

3 SRM 6, a small laser, max JJ and use it to get in close and just delete opponents rear armor. Can soften some up from the front real well while going in also.

Also, I forgot how ridiculous running into a pile of vehicles is on lunar maps. Yes, game, I love that I can only fire my weapons every other turn while they get to launch their entire ridiculous loadout every turn and never worry about heat.

Yeah I was gonna say mine is SRM6x3 a M laser and max armor. Go up and shoot things, maybe tear a side off, blow through with all the missiles.

Going to a small laser for when its punch time might be better tho.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
Had a hilarious bug in my game last night. I knocked over a dragon during my turn, then during the ai turn it proceeds to slide on its back towards my guys. It didn't shoot at anything, but watching it scoot down the road was pretty great.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is joint venture the hatchet man reveal flashpoint? I didn’t see anything like the opfor described above and the waves were staggered. I was running mediums and a single heavy at that point. Iirc the opfor was mostly mediums maybe a single poo poo heavy like a QuickDraw or something.

Not saying the guy is wrong, just that there seems to be some variance to it.

What version, stem or GoG?

It is and it definitely changes. The first time I tried it, the first group was a Thunderbolt, a disco-hunchback and a Jenner. Then 4 more mediums spawned on top of the hill then 4 vehicles spawned behind the mountain they blew up the buildings and there was nothing I could do about it.

The second time I tried it, it was something like a Hatchetman, a Vindicator and a Spider down below and then nothing spawned on top of the mountain and behind the mountain spawned a few vehicles and a couple more medium mechs and I breezed through it.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

So Mitch mentioned the WHM/MAD are still coming before the heat death of the universe. While I know using the MWO assets speeds things up a lot and has probably already been done to some level behind the scenes, I wish we could get these CGL based MAD/WHM in the game instead of the MWO versions. These plastic minis shown off at MechCon look great and I want them even though I haven't played a IRL TT match in years. On the other hand, I do enjoy the new consistency in BT/MW PC games, MWO, MW5 and BT all sharing the same designs for 'Mechs and weapon effects really brings them together.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tiger Crazy posted:

Why are the capellans poo poo on in almost every succession war? Some one in the lore department must have had it out for them.

designated yellow peril opfor faction

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I've been playing an all stingy / hard / very slow / 5 parts salvage with AImod + community fixes campaign and it's something else. I'm now 120 days in and the only mechs I've salvaged is a Firestarter, Panther and 2 Commandos

The biggest difference is that it's forced me to take full cash on quite a few contracts to keep up with both engineering upgrades and extravagant payments. Well that and I'm obviously not swimming in mechs. Overall it's been manageable but there have been some pretty close calls and I've had to good faith withdraw several times

Oh if you're going into a harder mission that you know you may withdraw, just take cash and bail before you take too much damage

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I've been playing an all stingy / hard / very slow / 5 parts salvage with AImod + community fixes campaign and it's something else. I'm now 120 days in and the only mechs I've salvaged is a Firestarter, Panther and 2 Commandos

The biggest difference is that it's forced me to take full cash on quite a few contracts to keep up with both engineering upgrades and extravagant payments. Well that and I'm obviously not swimming in mechs. Overall it's been manageable but there have been some pretty close calls and I've had to good faith withdraw several times

Oh if you're going into a harder mission that you know you may withdraw, just take cash and bail before you take too much damage

I'm in a similar situation with my 8 part campaign. I'm wondering if it might be smarter to drop the Argo rush for just trying really hard missions with just enough profit to break even. I might be able to make more money faster if I had a heavier stable able to tackle more worlds and thus higher paying jobs soon rather than later.

One thing I'm one part enjoying, one part hating is the intensity of each mission. In stock I can burn through 5-10 missions in a row really quickly and make meaningful advancement. With my AI mod and the harder progression of more parts I'm only doing 2-3 missions a session, each takes much longer due to the carefulness each move mandates for a "no damage" completion. On one hand, beating a 2 skull for no damage and tons of parts with basically the starting Lance + 1 more JR7 feels really accomplishing, but it's physically draining. It feels more like a "Dark Souls" vs something like Assassin's Creed. A game where any one bad move will end you vs one where you are a slaughterer king and not really in any danger. I still can't believe I'm actually progressing, much less profiting. I know the "bad mission" will come for me eventually.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I was thinking about it while watching a super difficult career stream (he's on all the hardest settings, including 8 parts salvage to complete a mech) and I think that with 5+ parts, it's generally better to just take money every time. You can likely save up enough money to just buy a mech long before you'll get 8 parts of any single mech.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Tiger Crazy posted:

Well the starting era is when three of the four are done with, and being in a bad position at that point, they kinda had to take a few big Ls along the way, yeah? Despite being compared to Game of Thrones, Battletech plots often hew closer to GI Joe, where the protagonists overwhelmingly prevail against the scheming ineffectual bad dudes.

Guess who's Cobra? It ain't the Combine, they have that murderous IJA swagger.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

deathbagel posted:

I was thinking about it while watching a super difficult career stream (he's on all the hardest settings, including 8 parts salvage to complete a mech) and I think that with 5+ parts, it's generally better to just take money every time. You can likely save up enough money to just buy a mech long before you'll get 8 parts of any single mech.

You can buy medium parts for 500k each, 3 of a particular mech per planet it looks like early on so whatever you set the salvage parts too isn't really too important. You're getting something within a planet or two either way.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Dallan Invictus posted:

The Panther is slow but at least it has a long-range weapon so you don't have to bring it up to short range to be useful. This variant Urbie has an AC20 and an SL AND is probably the slowest light in existence?

who designed this thing and can one of the lore nerds tell me they were shot for treason?

Since you can't preview mission sites, you don't know when a mech like the Urbie would possibly be useful. Even if it's an urban defense mission, if the enemy squad is going to come in range except sitting on top of a hill and snipe you, the Urbie has a long trek ahead of it.

Sine most maps are fairly open and require traveling, yeah the Urbie is hilariously useless.

Taerkar posted:

House Liao. It was pretty much to make Urban fights very dangerous for their many invaders.

Somebody thinks they've destroyed your forces and run into a dense urban area only to discover there's a trashcan pointing an AC/20 at their rear armor. If the RNG gods smile on you, hilarity ensues.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

deathbagel posted:

It is and it definitely changes. The first time I tried it, the first group was a Thunderbolt, a disco-hunchback and a Jenner. Then 4 more mediums spawned on top of the hill then 4 vehicles spawned behind the mountain they blew up the buildings and there was nothing I could do about it.

The second time I tried it, it was something like a Hatchetman, a Vindicator and a Spider down below and then nothing spawned on top of the mountain and behind the mountain spawned a few vehicles and a couple more medium mechs and I breezed through it.

Man I wish the base defense had the courtesy to give me any lights. Both times I did it there were loads of shadowhawks and trebuchets (meaning a whole lot of long range weapons to blast the base without me being able to do poo poo) and the second time they threw in an orion and jaegermech too along with other decent mediums. I haven't really ever had trouble with any of the rest of the game but that FP is nuts.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ulmont posted:

Was there some significant tweak to assassination missions? I'm noticing that now I always seem to have the defenders and the reinforcements engage simultaneously, leading to much harder fights.

I don't believe so but on smaller maps they almost always drop immediately

Yeah, I'm seeing it on battle maps too where I end up engaging both sets in the same turn. Before I used to get 1-2 turns with a single group, which was easier to deal with.

RBA Starblade posted:

You can buy medium parts for 500k each, 3 of a particular mech per planet it looks like early on so whatever you set the salvage parts too isn't really too important. You're getting something within a planet or two either way.

It depends on which planet how many parts are available - I've seen a lot of 1s and 2s. Still, buying parts to complete the first full medium lance and get the hell out of light mechs looks like the winning strategy.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

deathbagel posted:

Yeah buying parts is a legit strategy. I've used it for that phase when you have a bunch of parts of salvage but just not quite there yet on any one of them

I never thought of going full cash and buying outright as a primary mech acquisition strategy. I usually save money for rare parts but I'll keep this in mind, thanks

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Really wish that there was a Mech somewhere between a Firestarter and a Thunderbolt that carried an insane amount of support weapons. The 6 Machinegun Shuffle is hilarious and good, but the firestarter's light enough that it's now becoming a bit of a liability in 2 skull+ battles.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Gobblecoque posted:

So, HBS definitely didn't playtest Joint Venture right? I can't even begin to understand how you're supposed to defend this base. There's 3 groups totaling 8 medium mechs, 2 heavies, and a heavy vehicle and they all attack at basically the same time. They mostly just ignore you and gun right for the buildings so there's no way to kill them before they finish the base. Are you just supposed to ignore this flashpoint until you've got all pimped out assault mechs? Maybe send one mech out to each group (discounting the hatchetman which is just gonna die as soon as an enemy looks at it funny) and hope the enemies focus on them for the 10 round counter but not so hard that they actually kill them? I'm kinda curious about the timer here too. Do you win if you survive that long? Or does it just throw some friendlies your way and you can still lose at that point?

Bring pilots with multi targeting and several long range weapons. The way the AI works, if you shoot a mech, they will ignore the buildings and focus on your mechs for at least two turns (shooting them again resets the counter). So have three of your mechs focusing firing/killing one mech while your FS/multi-target mech tags any newcomers to keep them off the buildings.

This technique also works in escort missions (i.e. mechs you shoot will ignore the convoy for two+ turns).

EDIT: That the AI works this way is only alluded to in the campaign mission where you have to protect the dropships that are taking off.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

The only Argo upgrades you want to take, at least until you have a full lance of mediums, are the tech upgrades, and possibly the lounge since its relatively cheap.

They added alot of mech parts to the stores for a reason.

Also, assassination missions are your best friend.

I'm playing a stock campaign to get a feel for things, and once you can field 4 mediums, things really start to open up. I bought parts for two (a Griffin S and one part to finish off a Wolverine K). I went for the joint venture flashpoint after I had a full lance of mediums: VND, ENF (also from an assassination mission), WVR and GRF and picked up a TDR on the way. Once I finished the flashpoint, I was flush with cash and mechs. I'm pretty much over the hump and accumulating heavies at day ~980 something.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Organ Fiend posted:

Bring pilots with multi targeting and several long range weapons. The way the AI works, if you shoot a mech, they will ignore the buildings and focus on your mechs for at least two turns (shooting them again resets the counter). So have three of your mechs focusing firing/killing one mech while your FS/multi-target mech tags any newcomers to keep them off the buildings.

This technique also works in escort missions (i.e. mechs you shoot will ignore the convoy for two+ turns).

EDIT: That the AI works this way is only alluded to in the campaign mission where you have to protect the dropships that are taking off.

I remember that campaign mission, but none of my pilots have multi-target and I'm definitely not gonna train up more just for one mission. That sounds miserable anyway, between at least one multi-target bitch and the stock hatchetman you're saddled with that leaves you with only 2 actually good active fighters and 2 mechs would take quite a while to cut through all those enemies. I assume the FP's main reward is probably a hatchetman which I already have so it's really probably not worth the bother.

Now that I think of it, it's amusing that the hatchetman pilot doesn't have multi-target as that would give him a legitimate use.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Organ Fiend posted:

The only Argo upgrades you want to take, at least until you have a full lance of mediums, are the tech upgrades, and possibly the lounge since its relatively cheap.

They added alot of mech parts to the stores for a reason.

Also, assassination missions are your best friend.

I'm playing a stock campaign to get a feel for things, and once you can field 4 mediums, things really start to open up. I bought parts for two (a Griffin S and one part to finish off a Wolverine K). I went for the joint venture flashpoint after I had a full lance of mediums: VND, ENF (also from an assassination mission), WVR and GRF and picked up a TDR on the way. Once I finished the flashpoint, I was flush with cash and mechs. I'm pretty much over the hump and accumulating heavies at day ~980 something.

Hmm, in terms of engineering projects. I went Repaired Power Conduits -> Training Module 1 -> Structural Repair -> Drive Repairs -> Automation -> Beta Pod -> Training Module 2 -> one of the + Mech Tech Points

I don't think the expanded Mechbay is necessary just yet, and will be saving money for buying mech parts. I'll be taking on the cheaper argo morale upgrades to compensate. Due to extravagant payments, I'm at 37 Morale and next month I should cross into the next tier

The 30 exp per day from Training Modules 2 is huge when 1.5 skulls only give 300exp, from very slow mechwarrior exp progression. It's what got most of my pilots to their second tier 1 skill. Also the 20% reduction of travel times is big in the early game and lets you get more contracts in

There is a tipping point when you can start doing 2 - 2.5 skulls regularly and most of the map opens up to you

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
can you ally with the Arano Restoration post-game and get access to a faction store? not seeing a button for them and the faction store is grayed out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am not clear what the expansion adds. Is it worth getting currently?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Unlucky7 posted:

I am not clear what the expansion adds. Is it worth getting currently?

Primarily what it adds are short mini-campaigns that start spawning after you either beat the campaign or after a certain bit of time in the patch-added free career mode.

E: For my part I'm finding the Flashpoint campaigns to be really fun from a lore nerd perspective as they're fleshing out the Great Houses and other Organizations And People Of Note that I know from the lore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So I honestly didn't think I would like this game at all, I kept eyeing it over and over on Steam though ever since it came out. Finally decided to just bite the bullet and buy it. Absolutely love Battletech and glad I bought it with the season pass. It's exactly what I am looking for from a turn based RPG. I pacing of the campaign and career are perfect in my opinion. The game is hella ugly with a bad art direction, and the optimization is god awful, but I blame that entirely on Unity. Issues that I am overlooking because the rest of the game is such a joy to play.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I said come in! posted:

So I honestly didn't think I would like this game at all, I kept eyeing it over and over on Steam though ever since it came out. Finally decided to just bite the bullet and buy it. Absolutely love Battletech and glad I bought it with the season pass. It's exactly what I am looking for from a turn based RPG. I pacing of the campaign and career are perfect in my opinion. The game is hella ugly with a bad art direction, and the optimization is god awful, but I blame that entirely on Unity. Issues that I am overlooking because the rest of the game is such a joy to play.

I actually think it looks pretty good for what it is, especially the new jungle biome. It really is quite a fantastic game though, glad to hear you are liking it!

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

Sky Shadowing posted:

Primarily what it adds are short mini-campaigns that start spawning after you either beat the campaign or after a certain bit of time in the patch-added free career mode.

E: For my part I'm finding the Flashpoint campaigns to be really fun from a lore nerd perspective as they're fleshing out the Great Houses and other Organizations And People Of Note that I know from the lore.

So I started a new campaign and haven't gotten any flashpoints yet. Will some crop up along the way or do I need to actually finish the campaign first? Should I be doing the career mode instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Ivan Dolvich posted:

So I started a new campaign and haven't gotten any flashpoints yet. Will some crop up along the way or do I need to actually finish the campaign first? Should I be doing the career mode instead?

Flashpoints don't show up in the campaign until after you finish the story. If you want to get to them more quickly then you probably want to try out career mode since they show up immediately there (though they start at 2.5 stars, so you still won't be doing them for a bit.)