Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Fatkraken posted:

no, but then the term has been so misused as to become almost meaningless. From the movie/play, it is indeed a form of abuse where the abuser *deliberately* manipulates their victim into doubting their own sanity/memory of events. I've seen and heard it used for so many things that aren't that, generally it's some kind of psychological abuse, but not that specific (though I had to bite my tongue when a friend accused her not abusive partner of "gaslighting" during an argument in a group setting because he remembered the plot of a book slightly differently than her and had accidentally dropped a spoiler by not remembering something was revealed part way through rather than early on, she can be a bit of a drama queen when she's riled up)

You should not have bitten your tongue and should've instead used the tongue to call her a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Every goon should know the Pete story. It's not even that long, but every line is gold:

Me [25 F] with my boyfriend [30 M] of 6 months - we broke up after I booked tickets to go on a trip with an ex from ancient history, who is more of a best-friend.Relationships

I feel like this part should always be bolded:

I asked him why and tried to get him to explain himself and he told me that my going away was to see "another man" a deal-breaker, that he'd been in this type of situation before and wasn't going to go through it again. I asked him if this was an ultimatum - I hate ultimatums, they are tools of abusers - and he said "No, its not an ultimatum. I've decided to break up with you. I have not presented you with any options. I just came to say goodbye."

Pete owns.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I feel like the Pete story is fake or was written by Pete. Only the worst strawman sjw says poo poo like "I told him ultimatums were tools of abusers". Its just such an unnatural read.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

big trivia FAIL posted:

i'm teaching mine to just punch the bully right in the nose and keep punching.

This is what I did with my kids. They both got in trouble but, surprise surprise, the bullying stopped.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Blade Runner posted:

You should not have bitten your tongue and should've instead used the tongue to call her a moron

she was already having a semi-meltdown in a sushi restaurant, she's generally fine but she can get in a flap when she thinks she's been wronged. Also it was another friend's birthday and I didn't want to spoil things more than the argument already was :/ in the end it was a storm in a teacup but it wasn't comfortable for a while

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

computer angel posted:

I feel like the Pete story is fake or was written by Pete. Only the worst strawman sjw says poo poo like "I told him ultimatums were tools of abusers". Its just such an unnatural read.

It wouldn't be the first time someone spat out something they had read about relationship boundaries unaware of how it would be received by a real person

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

computer angel posted:

I mentally start reading her voice faster and more frantically when she does the abuser stuff and it totally works as if she's been repeating some received wisdom.

Fatkraken posted:

storm in a teacup

You did this deliberately to trigger people like me, didn't you?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

computer angel posted:

nah, it's probably the one i have the least trouble believing

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

computer angel posted:

It was and is a frequent r/relationships slogan

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Beachcomber posted:

You did this deliberately to trigger people like me, didn't you?

I didn't, am I misusing the phrase?

EDIT: I checked and yeah, I guess I am, I'll stop doing that :)

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It was and is a frequent r/relationships slogan

Yeah fine but I think the inclusion of these obnoxiously grating woke sounding slogans in complete sentences is the perfect way to illicit support for Pete. There's not even conflict or grey area, it's just The Most Annoying Person Ever vs Pete.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

They posted on Reddit

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Whorelord posted:

They posted on Reddit

Yeah? I don't understand what you're saying.
My impression is that Pete wrote the post. And its a shame because I love a swift no nonsense breakup as much as the next guy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its better to just consider it a good parable if there isn't room for pete in your heart

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I'm saying if you're having trouble believing the nost annoying person in the world posted on Reddit I don't know what to tell you

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Whorelord posted:

I'm saying if you're having trouble believing the nost annoying person in the world posted on Reddit I don't know what to tell you

I mean we frequently debate the legitimacy of these posts. Anyway I like the idea of Pete.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

computer angel posted:

You shut your mouth, no one bad mouths Pete!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It isn't the historicity of Pete that matters, it's what Pete means to you!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Whorelord posted:

If you're having trouble believing the most annoying person in the world posted on Reddit I don't know what to tell you

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Girlfriend (31F) mentioned she had cheated on her previous boyfriend. She also has a secret tinder.

quote:

She us currently living in France. I (27M) was living there with her, but am back in the US to visit my parents for December.

Everything has been great for the most part. However, today she randomly mentioned that she wasn't faithful to her ex, because in her words "she didn't really love him". That really rubbed me the wrong way to find out. I don't think I would have gotten in the relationship in the first place if I knew that. She said she's never thought about it with me, because she loves me, but come on.

I got paranoid, made a fake tinder with a GPS spoofer, and found she has a tinder. It is recently used (we moved to France recently and the profile text is now in French). It says "Just looking for friends."

I know she's lonely without me there - she's been trying to find meetups and couchsurfing hangouts. If she is just using tinder for friends, I normally wouldn't mind, except for two things:

We've definitely talked about it before and agreed not to do it.

She never asked me.

And in the light that she's cheated before, I can't really trust her?

Help please

Update:

I called her up. I let her know that I found it, she started crying.

I knew she was having a hard time making friends on her own, but I guess she was taking it a lot worse than I thought. There was one day about a week ago when she was mad at me - she was mad that I slept in too late every day, it didn't give us much of a window to talk every day with the timezone difference. She said she made it then and hadn't used it since.

I made it clear that the real issue is that she never asked me or mentioned it. I said I won't continue the relationship anymore if she won't be open with me. She apologized a ton, promised to find other ways to meet people and not hide things again.

Idk I'm too tired to think straight. I've given advice in the past like "just run" but it's much different when I'm in the situation, know the person. Nothing feels as clear. I feel like I trust her but maybe I just want to, I'm not sure.

Ahh yes, the classic 'I did a lovely thing, but it's really your fault,' defence.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
My [30] girlfriend [28] cheated on me, Is that enough reason for a break up?

quote:

I was in a bad situation for a long time. This year was a wonderful year for me. I got a good job, I was able to save up some money to buy a decent ring for my girlfriend. I was thinking of proposing her for marriage soon. Yesterday, we were at a restaurant, we were taking pictures in her Snapchat app. Suddenly a notification came up from tinder. It threw me off guard. I demanded to check her tinder profile out and I found out that she has been cheating, she dated two guys. She confessed it and said sorry.

To get this straight, She is a good girlfriend and my best friend. She's a wonderful human. She showed nothing but kindness to me. She's in a relationship with me for 4 years. In this four years I have faced a lot of financial and emotional problems. I don't have a father, my mom raised me single handedly. My mother died, I lost my scholarship. My girlfriend showed me deep empathy when I was going through so much. She'd buy foods for me, made sure that I have eaten. She cried when I cried. She always made me feel better about myself. She encouraged me to dream, to believe in myself. She made me believe that I have Someone. And that is the problem.

I just can't believe that she can do this, that she's even capable of such things. I don't think I'll ever be able to look at the world the same way. I can't explain my pain, I wish I could.

What is it with these pathetic puddles on r/relationship_advice? Girlfriend wants a gangbang without me - wat do? Girlfriend has been cheating on me - do I still propose? Girlfriend has literally zero respect for our relationship - how much should I spend on the engagement ring? :psyboom:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

computer angel posted:

Yeah? I don't understand what you're saying.
My impression is that Pete wrote the post. And its a shame because I love a swift no nonsense breakup as much as the next guy.
agreed fwiw

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

*looks at username*

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Theophany posted:

My [30] girlfriend [28] cheated on me, Is that enough reason for a break up?

What is it with these pathetic puddles on r/relationship_advice? Girlfriend wants a gangbang without me - wat do? Girlfriend has been cheating on me - do I still propose? Girlfriend has literally zero respect for our relationship - how much should I spend on the engagement ring? :psyboom:

I mean in this case he explains it, she was legitimately good to him for a long time and earned an important place in his thoughts. That place just wasn't important to her. Dude needs to :sever: but it will be hard for him.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

what a non-cynical world we live in, where even the pete story gets called into question over 'someone can't really be that stupid and oblivious as to how bad they come off'

disgusting

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
pete believes in you

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

MightyJoe36 posted:

This is what I did with my kids. They both got in trouble but, surprise surprise, the bullying stopped.

yeah - i mean i'd rather my kid get suspended for 3 days than spend years being abused at school

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I cheated on my fat wife once so she cheated back at me

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Open your heart and accept Pete into it and yours will be the kingdom of heaven.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Beachcomber posted:

Is she using the term "gaslighting" correctly here? I thought it was when someone made you doubt your sanity/memory.
Absolutely not. Gaslighting is when you deliberately gently caress with someone's perceptions so that they trust what you tell them over what they see/hear/feel/think. But then tumblr got ahold of the term and now there's a bunch of idiots using it to mean "he disagreed with me and that's abuse!"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tricky D posted:

Open your heart and accept Pete into it and yours will be the kingdom of heaven.

once you dump god like a true pete

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pete rings true since a 30 year old well adjusted person will cut a 6 month relationship if they find incompatibility.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Gaslighting pretty much exclusively means “failing to enable” these days. “My partner is telling me not to quit my well-paying position as a museum director to launch my dream small business: selling corks for the assholes of elderly incontinent dogs. Is he a gaslighting abuser?”

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Really torn between being jealous of these dudes lecturing everyone about how idiots are just a Bigfoot hoax and feeling for them for when they learn about poo poo like the inevitability of death and how the universe doesn't care if things are "fair"

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Really torn between being jealous of these dudes lecturing everyone about how idiots are just a Bigfoot hoax and feeling for them for when they learn about poo poo like the inevitability of death and how the universe doesn't care if things are "fair"

You are having quite an extreme reaction. Relax. I don't disagree idiots exist. I just feel like key elements of the story are really hammed up for the schadenfreude aspect. Such as texting her ex and his response basically being "oh i don't care I just wanted to gently caress you anyway". The line could have been finessed a little more. I'm not really sure how the universe not being fair is relevant?

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
I (19M) wanted to take my relationship with long-distance FWB (23M) to the next level, but his disturbing behavior is making me have doubts

quote:

Quick background (no real names used) -

I (19M) met a wonderful guy via social media named Gaius (23M), an artist. We hit it off as friends because he drew something I requested. I thought he was cool, chill, and funny. Then one day we got a bit hot and heavy and both admitted that we were sexually attracted to each other, and we were in that weird gray area where we were hot for each other but also getting into the idea of a long-distance relationship. Now, I knew beforehand that Gaius has struggled with mental illness, and we’ve gotten into fights over petty stuff like me sending a lot of memes or structures of a joke but tonight really hit a new level.

I sent Gaius an innocent text (“imagine Scott (werewolf character form a game called Monster Prom) with no body hair”) as a random conversation starter and he told me to shut the gently caress up and went on a rant about how I need to chill with sending memes, and then Gaius went into a deep hosed up rant about his mental health -

* About how he tends to over exaggerate his reactions to things that mildly piss him off so he can laugh it off. I’ve told him that it makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat who did something wrong (I’m autistic and sometimes it makes reading social cues difficult) but he still keeps doing it.

* About how he has a strict black and white morality and can only see people as trash or not trash

* About how his entire personality is a lie that he made up because of his traumatic childhood

* About how he stabbed a loving stranger (not to death) because he said something he heard countless times before while in a bad state of mind

* He even described himself as a toxic person who isn’t a good person to make a meaningful connection with

I’m shocked and honestly I don’t know if I want to continue having contact with Gaius. I’m scared that if we do become serious and he moves in with me that he’ll end up stabbing me to death over something trivial. Do I try to salvage this or should I go no contact with him?

TL;DR - met a great guy. He turns out to be severely hosed up. Not sure if I want to enter a serious relationship with him.

I was waiting for the Battlestar Galactica bait-and-switch, but it never came

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol that lady wont survive until 30.

*sees forest of red flags*

*assumes its a Chinese parade*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

computer angel posted:

You are having quite an extreme reaction. Relax. I don't disagree idiots exist. I just feel like key elements of the story are really hammed up for the schadenfreude aspect. Such as texting her ex and his response basically being "oh i don't care I just wanted to gently caress you anyway". The line could have been finessed a little more. I'm not really sure how the universe not being fair is relevant?

I'm something of an expert on hill-death and lemme tell ya I dunno if this is the one

Tryke posted:

I (19M) wanted to take my relationship with long-distance FWB (23M) to the next level, but his disturbing behavior is making me have doubts

I was waiting for the Battlestar Galactica bait-and-switch, but it never came

Is stabbing people in a fit of passion something you can still get away with if you are an artist named Gaius or is that a relic of the absinthe days

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its good enough for America's Sweetheart's husband, Jay-Z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
To be fair I would expect anyone named Gaius to have a low stabbing threshold