Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That bridge scene at the end was perfect. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

haveblue posted:

This hasn't worked for me in a very long time (Safari), does it work right now for other browsers?

Is there a little box in the corner of the image when you hover your mouse over it? If so clicking that will expand the image to full size

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Is there a little box in the corner of the image when you hover your mouse over it? If so clicking that will expand the image to full size

Yeah, the box with the resolution and the two-rectangle icon. Clicking that for me has the same effect as clicking anywhere else in the image- it expands to the current width of the table and no further. I do remember that it used to be different but at some point a while ago that stopped happening.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

Yeah, the box with the resolution and the two-rectangle icon. Clicking that for me has the same effect as clicking anywhere else in the image- it expands to the current width of the table and no further.

Same, with Chrome.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Works for me on Firefox.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While the gameplay is very generic in Lufia: The Fortress of Doom I do like the characters a lot, like the Princess who just goes "gently caress it" and tells the town that the Hope Ruby is bullshit that's bilking them out of money as a tax and spurs the town on to do better. It seems there is a running theme of "Princesses are just the best" so far. Also I've finally got Stronger, so Lufia can heal worth a drat.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Dec 6, 2018

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Holy poo poo the cel-shaded 'vintage' costume in Spiderman on PS4 is beautiful. I love how the game lets you change costumes and use the perks of other costumes; not enough games do this so you end up with everyone looking identical unless you deliberately gimp your character.

Only trouble is I now wish the entire game looked like a cartoon. And didn't have these awful stealth sequences.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Smash Bros Ultimate is really good, y'all! There's a whole bunch of cute little touches in it, we're gonna be here a while. But to start with the smaller stuff that I've already noticed...

-I'm not sure if it's random or controlled by something, but occasionally Mario's up-B will spawn purple coins from Mario Odyssey instead of the regular yellow.

-Ness' particle effects for his special moves now resemble the weird abstract shapes that made up PSI attacks in Earthbound. I haven't been able to check Lucas yet, he might have the same.

-Everyone's Classic mode is now a specific lineup for them, and is usually pretty referential. Sonic's is entirely references to his dumb buttrock anthems; Ryu's and Ken's are both entirely comprised of stamina matches.

-Spirits, which are the game's equipment customization, are done by having gimmick fights against someone representative of the more esoteric character you're trying to get the spirit of. So far, my highlight has been Skull Man, from Mega Man; a white Samus, that reflects every single projectile you fire at her.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Dec 7, 2018

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Even the way the music works in the game is great.
-You can manually pick a song for the fight instead of letting it be random
-Songs have small colored tabs in the corner to indicate what kind of music it is, normal is left blank, a old remix is blue, new ones are pink.
-You can just buy new songs with the coins you earn
-They set the tendency for the new gangplank galleon remix to play at maximum.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There is never anything dumb about buttrock.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There's a spirit battle for Ness's dad. It's an invisible solid snake

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Johnny Aztec posted:

There is never anything dumb about buttrock.

On the contrary, I think. There's everything dumb about buttrock, but that's great.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Codec conversations in Brawl were fun, and it's too bad they didn't add new ones for Ultimate. Some of them reference you playing Brawl still.

They did add some Palutena's Guidance conversations from the WiiU Kid Icarus stage though and updated some for other characters, noting for example that BotW Link.

I liked a bit where they talk about how most Pokémon end up just sitting in balls in storage indefinitely.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dr Christmas posted:

I liked a bit where they talk about how most Pokémon end up just sitting in balls in storage indefinitely.

I guess they exist in some sort of stasis?

This gives an interesting picture of doing an archeological dig, and finding an old storehouse of pokeballs full of Pokemon.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Buzz Buzz is the definitely the best spirit battle I've found so far.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

It's mainly impenetrable if you want to break the game over your knee, there's countless shenanigans you can peruse if you want to do this:

On the other hand I once had a game where Joan of Arc became queen of England and was sleeping with Maid Marian, then they both converted to Norse paganism and one of Joan's last acts in life was to ritually sacrifice the Pope to the Aesir, after taking him prisoner in a raid that sacked Rome.

A lot of the impenetrablity of the game comes from the fact that Paradox can’t make an intuitive UI to save their goddamn lives. I’ve tried to play it so many times only to give up after hours, having accomplished nothing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'd like to see a Paradox-style grand strategy game that instead of constant popups that you enable/disable, just has a 'ticker' running along the bottom of the screen. The stuff in the screenshot above is kind of OK, but it would be great to just have some colour-coded 'cards' running along the bottom (perhaps in multiple tickers) giving you the opportunity to interact with them if you want, or otherwise just casually read them as you wait for things to happen, without having to manually close stuff - if you miss your chance to care, it scrolls off.

e: Stellaris puts a bunch of stuff at the top of the screen but it's still not really clear wtf is going on and you gotta mouse over etc.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Dec 8, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A lot of the impenetrablity of the game comes from the fact that Paradox can’t make an intuitive UI to save their goddamn lives. I’ve tried to play it so many times only to give up after hours, having accomplished nothing.

I found Stellaris was pretty clean and intuitive.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Smash Bros.

Grouchio posted:

Hehehehehehe...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bewilderment posted:

I'd like to see a Paradox-style grand strategy game that instead of constant popups that you enable/disable, just has a 'ticker' running along the bottom of the screen. The stuff in the screenshot above is kind of OK, but it would be great to just have some colour-coded 'cards' running along the bottom (perhaps in multiple tickers) giving you the opportunity to interact with them if you want, or otherwise just casually read them as you wait for things to happen, without having to manually close stuff - if you miss your chance to care, it scrolls off.

e: Stellaris puts a bunch of stuff at the top of the screen but it's still not really clear wtf is going on and you gotta mouse over etc.

You’re kinda sorta describing Cultist Simulator, which owns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samuringa posted:

Smash Bros.

It's also something you need to play MGSV to understand. And good lord, someone working on Smash has a dark sense of humour :stonklol:.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Smash Bros.

Oh my God

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

I found Stellaris was pretty clean and intuitive.

Yeah, that’s true. That game was a lot of fun, even if the midge kind of craps out for a while.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also something you need to play MGSV to understand. And good lord, someone working on Smash has a dark sense of humour :stonklol:.

Shouldnt there be two then?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Shouldnt there be two then?

There should be, but I guess they took one out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
She has a bomb in her vagina

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just finished Breath of the Wild and Calamity Ganon had a pretty rad design but it looked like something I would see in a Soulsborne game.

I'd like to say the second form was the best pig based boss I've killed this year but it's not even in the top 5

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I guess they exist in some sort of stasis?

This gives an interesting picture of doing an archeological dig, and finding an old storehouse of pokeballs full of Pokemon.

This was literally an episode of the show, albeit with ancient artifacts that summoned giant pokemon, IIRC.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

Okay, the game's starting to pull some stuff with the bosses now. First was the Thouzer fight where more than half the time your attacks just bounce off of him because his organs are reversed and your technique doesn't work if people have abnormalities that wild and now the first part of the Jagi fight pulls the God of War 2018 thing where you can't move and you're in person dodging his attacks while rotating around to keep him in view.

Thankfully his health is way lower in this section so it doesn't wear out its welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq-IG7hjidM&t=147s

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I gotta say, the head-explodey death animations are waaaaay more disturbing in the game than I remember the anime being. Like, I'm genuinely uncomfortable. So I guess that's a well-done little thing?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cleretic posted:

-Spirits, which are the game's equipment customization, are done by having gimmick fights against someone representative of the more esoteric character you're trying to get the spirit of. So far, my highlight has been Skull Man, from Mega Man; a white Samus, that reflects every single projectile you fire at her.

Spirits are great.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Len posted:

Just finished Breath of the Wild and Calamity Ganon had a pretty rad design but it looked like something I would see in a Soulsborne game.

I'd like to say the second form was the best pig based boss I've killed this year but it's not even in the top 5

I'll bite.

List your top 5 pig battles of 2018.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
There really is some underappreciated genius to Smash Bros Ultimate gating almost the entire cast as effectively randomly-distributed unlockables. There's about 75 characters in the lineup not including DLC, that's something so big that you will forget people, but the fact that you're steadily unlocking them (and it's effectively impossible to beeline for your favorites) means you have to acknowledge them, one by one. You are forced, by design, to consider every single character and what they bring to you.

The roster was so overwhelming that I actually straight-up forgot my main, especially because they didn't actually get any attention in pre-release and it'd been years since I played Smash last. It took until I unlocked them and subsequently took to some online matches to remember how devastating I can be when playing as R.O.B., and I think if they were unlocked from the start I never would have.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

There really is some underappreciated genius to Smash Bros Ultimate gating almost the entire cast as effectively randomly-distributed unlockables. There's about 75 characters in the lineup not including DLC, that's something so big that you will forget people, but the fact that you're steadily unlocking them (and it's effectively impossible to beeline for your favorites) means you have to acknowledge them, one by one. You are forced, by design, to consider every single character and what they bring to you.

The roster was so overwhelming that I actually straight-up forgot my main, especially because they didn't actually get any attention in pre-release and it'd been years since I played Smash last. It took until I unlocked them and subsequently took to some online matches to remember how devastating I can be when playing as R.O.B., and I think if they were unlocked from the start I never would have.
Making every character's classic mode unique with its own bosses and gimmicks was also a smart idea to get players to try more characters.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Honestly my favorite thing in Smash is that they added a little medal on the portrait of every character you beat a mode with on the character select screen, so you don’t have to keep track on your own or check a separate screen anymore.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The concepts behind the spirit fights are great. Story-wise, they're the spirits of those characters being forced to possess a copy of one of the main fighters and battle against you, so it's effectively, what would that spirit be doing for a battle?

Spoilers about the themes of the themed fights, not about any story aspects:
For example, there's a Pushmo fight where he's controlling Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff almost entirely uses grabs and throws, and when damaged enough, she gets a final smash. Jigglypuff's final smash is growing huge and pushing people off the stage.

There's also a Blanka fight, which is represented by a green Donkey Kong with a screw attack item. Vega is a Meta Knight with short hops. Revolver Ocelot is a Fox with guns constantly appearing on the stage. Wriggler is a yellow Yoshi who gets more powerful after taking some damage, and the stage gets covered in Lip's Stick (item that puts damaging flowers on people's heads). Some developers had fun with these things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Olaf The Stout posted:

I'll bite.

List your top 5 pig battles of 2018.

Blood and Bacon was a ridiculous game. It wasn't good and the pig bosses weren't well crafted like BotW but the bosses from that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I gotta say, the head-explodey death animations are waaaaay more disturbing in the game than I remember the anime being. Like, I'm genuinely uncomfortable. So I guess that's a well-done little thing?

Yeah, you're getting a much more concentrated version of it, the game isn't like that all the time.

Jagi's whole deal is that he hates Kenshiro for being chosen as the successor for their martial art style and he fought him years back and lost and Kenshiro deformed him as you can see in that video. I can't remember if he was trying to kill Kenshiro then or not. Jagi's condition being worse than most people's and it being CGI means it looks much brutal than most of the in game ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE6_yziZLr0

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How does a Foster of the North Star game get an English dub but Yakuza still doesn't? I know the first was ps2 era and bad but was it really enough to make it so there wouldn't be another ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Len posted:

How does a Foster of the North Star game get an English dub but Yakuza still doesn't? I know the first was ps2 era and bad but was it really enough to make it so there wouldn't be another ever?

I mean the general audience in the west for a Yakuza game is probably going to prefer the japanese voice acting by default. Why even bother?