Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
lmao this is the best derail of the last 6 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Haifisch posted:

I am homeschooling my 10 year old son and he has been given a school attendance order. Unsure of law

If this is real then this kid is hosed. Someone asked op if studying chess 8 hours a day is a robust education and:

quote:

Not necessarily studying, he will play some mindless blitz games online and watch chess youtube videos just for fun. Of serious study, it is probably only around 4-5 hours.

He does have an education outside of chess, but learning 7 x 7 equals 49 isn't exactly high on our list of priorities considering how he can recite thousands of moves of opening theory and has outsmarted some of the top adult chess players in the country.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jimbozig posted:

I mean, "did you pack your suitcase yourself?" is a very common question at customs and answering "no" is a good way to get yourself sent to a room to wait for hours while they rifle through your poo poo.

So pack it yourself??

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Why is everyone acting like what the girlfriend's parents were asking for was a normal everyday request? "Hurf durf but what if your partner's parents offered to cook you dinner, would you think they were trying to poison you?" No, because that's a totally normal thing and demanding you carry mystery luggage across an international border isn't.

Frankly it'd be weirder if there weren't something sketchy going on. Why else would it have to be that specific case?

Only an insane person would consider a nice gift suitcase from their girlfriends parents to be “mystery luggage” that probably contains contraband.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Xik posted:

If this is real then this kid is hosed. Someone asked op if studying chess 8 hours a day is a robust education and:

wow that kid's life is completely hosed and he's never going to be #1 because he'll only be able to repeat memorized lines, not come up with ones on his own

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
also, what’s the recovery plan? do they try to un-gift the suitcase after he lands? is the endgame here that he wakes up one night to a soft ripping sound, turns on the light, and sees his gf crouching wide-eyed over the suitcase, kilos of “bad brown” clutched in each hand? lol

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dear Prudence posted:

Dear Prudence,
Five years ago, my husband and I gave his infertile sister some of our fertilized embryos (we were done having children). We meant this as a gift, as my sister-in-law was in agony. She now has a beautiful daughter, but my husband and I are rethinking our offer. She’s overly involved to the point that she has refused to leave the child alone with her husband for over a year. My niece has obvious separation anxiety and still is not toilet trained. Their marriage is on the rocks, but my sister-in-law asked for the last of our embryos this Christmas. She did this in front of the entire family and followed up twice on our noncommittal response. We still have four embryos in storage and have been debating what to do. My sister-in-law is not abusive, but in my hearts of hearts, I can’t say she is a good mother. My husband doesn’t like his sister pushing on this in front of everyone. He says we should lie and say an accident happened. I don’t know. And I hate the presumption of my sister-in-law in pushing after we demurred the first time. It was humiliating to have my private business paraded in front of everyone without a word. I fear what will happen if we refuse this.
—No More Children

Ideally, your sister-in-law would realize that your initial generosity did not mean she had carte blanche access to your remaining embryos, would recognize your right to decline to offer her more, and back off once it was clear you were not interested in providing additional genetic material for future children. You’re clearly operating in a situation that’s not anything close to ideal, and while you don’t owe her an explanation in saying no, I can understand why your husband feels inclined to invent an “accident” instead of being straightforward with his sister. My guess is that no matter which reason you give her—“We’re not comfortable providing more embryos to relatives,” “The clinic accidentally got rid of them,” “We’re concerned about your ability to care for your existing children,” or even just “We were prepared to do this once but don’t want to do it again”—she’s going to be upset, likely even angry, with you. So whatever reason you decide to give her when you say no (and I think you should say no, although I’m fairly agnostic on whether you should lie to her about why), the most important thing to stress is that your decision is final and that it’s not up for discussion or debate. “The embryos aren’t available” is, frankly, all you need to tell her. You don’t have to convince her that you have a good-enough reason for saying no. The two of you should figure out how you’re going to shut down further arguments or public attempts at manipulation from her, then stay united in saying no. Even if your sister-in-law’s marriage were strong, and even if she were a terrific parent, you and your husband have every right to refuse to share any more of your embryos. It’s not your responsibility to furnish her with children, she does not have an ongoing right to your frozen embryos, and no one should be forced to parent or provide genetic material for children that they don’t want.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If I gave someone a suitcase and they didn’t check it for hidden drugs, then I would know exactly who to use as a mule next time :colbert:

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
he should have taken the suitcase if he got to keep the extra content.

my brothers wife buys a cheap extra suitcase when they are abroad and fills it with cheap stuff like clothing, makeup and spices that she knows her friends likes so she can sell it to them when she gets back, she makes good money on it, almost covers the airplane or hotel money. wouldnt surprise me if that was the plan for the suitcase parents

dont do drugs, do denim and cheap sunglasses.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

Genetic opera

Yikes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

also, what’s the recovery plan? do they try to un-gift the suitcase after he lands? is the endgame here that he wakes up one night to a soft ripping sound, turns on the light, and sees his gf crouching wide-eyed over the suitcase, kilos of “bad brown” clutched in each hand? lol

They reveal that the suitcase was just a distraction to let the girlfriend discretely shove condoms full of white powder up his rear end

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
Re: the Chess kid, he's currently 2050 FIDE at 10 years old, so I was curious and compared him to Magnus Carlsen, one of the greatest and current world champion, here are his ratings by age, at his birthday.

quote:

9 years old: 900 (Norwegian rating)
10 years old: 1645 (Norwegian rating)
11 years old: 2127
12 years old: 2250
13 years old: 2450
14 years old: 2581
15 years old: 2570
16 years old: 2698
17 years old: 2714
Magnus reached 2700 at 16 as the youngest ever, a record that has since been beaten by Wei Yi.

I agree with everyone else that parents are crazy, but at least they're not crazy about his potential. Either way, the kid's got just a few years to get insanely good, but he's on track.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In addition to being good at chess it'd be nice if he could read and write and do basic math, if the parents are confident that he's getting a good education in general then they should prove that in court but I get a strong sense that he isn't

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

In addition to being good at chess it'd be nice if he could read and write and do basic math, if the parents are confident that he's getting a good education in general then they should prove that in court but I get a strong sense that he isn't

Yeah, agreed obviously. As others have already alluded to, there’s no way he reaches his potential without being educated in other areas like reading and math.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

and you're assuming he'll progress linearly like carlsen did. he could just plateau out, get bored and quit chess, etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xik posted:

They've somehow made a child who's incapable of doing anything except playing chess.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

but it sounds like he's not even really studying chess? playing random blitz games on lichess while reading chess blogs is not real training.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Just saw my girlfriends sex tape with her ex today...SHOULD I BREAK UP WITH HER?

Sigh, what a way to start off my first post in reddit.Just to warn you guys, this isn't JUST about the sex tape I just discovered 45 minutes ago.

I met my girlfriend when she had recently broken up with her ex and I was her crying shoulder. This happened for a few weeks and then we ended up loving. Don't get me wrong, I had already started liking this girl and felt like she had some feelings for me too. This happened all too quickly right after her breakup, so I felt like I was taking advantage of her vulnerable state. I reassured her that I was not going to hurt her feelings or even lie to her, I told her I would love her the best I could. She also reassured me that I wasn't just some rebound. She would still miss her ex boyfriend here and there and would talk about him occasionally. This would always piss me off and put me in a bad mood; I told her not to talk about her ex TO me and that I wasn't interested hearing about him. Hearing her talk about her ex hurt my feelings and my ego because I knew how much she loved him and how serious that relationship was for her. She had completely planned a future with him, marrying him, etc etc. I had to deal with this continuously for about 4 months until she finally decided to break ties with him completely. She told me that he had her nudes and videos and I told her it's okay, because that's normal in a relationship. She was glad I was understanding and rang him to ask him to delete those pictures/videos of her. Although I told her, he's just gonna tell you he will but in the end, he won't ACTUALLY delete it. They spoke on the phone and he agreed to delete those pictures and videos of her (doubt that he did).

Fast forward a year and a half later, she asked me to transfer her photos and videos from her old phone to her laptop, then transfer those files into her new laptop. She asked me to do it because she was going to be out of town for a few days, hence didn't have the time to do it. I agreed. However, her new laptop had not arrived yet, so I had to transfer all her files to my computer first. It was a long process because she had over 24,000 photos and I had to wait quite a while. As i was waiting, I went on Google chrome and her Facebook was logged in. I have to be honest here, I am a really insecure guy who gets jealous really easily. I did not know this until I got into a relationship with her (probably because I really loved her). I know it was really terrible of me to snoop through her messages but I did it anyway. I read through her messages with her ex boyfriend, and I found out she was still trying to get back with him until that day she asked him to delete her nudes. I also read her messages with her "guy best friend", who she claims to be "nothing more than a friend". From the things I read, I could definitely tell you that the guy did not see her as a "friend". He told her that he loved her and he missed her. She also said love you and I miss you back (bear in mind, she's not the type of person to say those things lightly to just anyone). They were sending each other love hearts and kissing emojis. Two months before I read these messages, she went out of town, and coincidentally, it was the city he lived in, so I KNOW they met up. She also lied to me about NOT meeting up with him cause I could see from the messages and the photos they had met up.

Reading those messages completely broke my heart and it destroyed me mentally, and I was planning to break up with her when she came back. I confronted her about the messages and the first thing she said was "How could you sneak behind my back and read everything? How low can you get? If you had loved me and respected me, you would have never read my personal conversations behind my back." Obviously that was wrong of me but that wasn't the main point there! I had showered her with all my love and 100% of my effort and I just got all of that thrown back to my face. Anyway, she denied everything and still insists that he is just a friend. I told her it would be best if we break up and go our separate ways but she cried to me and I just couldn't bring myself to break her heart like that. So we kind of patched things up after two weeks, I pretended everything was okay and I should NOT have. It sucks because I know i will never get over it. I don't know if she cheated on me when she went out of town? I don't know if there are more messages with other guys that I'm unaware of? It sucks that my 100% was never enough for her. Every time we argue, I would always bring up that same issue (the guy friend) and I would just blow up from that. It just infuriates me every single time I think about it. She strayed away from me and started looking elsewhere, I would have preferred if she had broken up with me first, you know?

Anyway, it's been a few months after all that and recently she told me that she felt disconnected. She felt that I was distant and didn't feel like we were in a relationship. She's noticed that I'm not the same person as before. The way I treat her now is completely different to before and to be entirely honest, I just don't think I love her anymore. I'm a shell of the man I used to be. It just sucks because for the past month, I can see that she has been giving it her all in this relationship. She's never treated me this well yet I am not happy. She constantly texts me yet I just can't be bothered to even open them. Why try NOW? Why not try when I have been trying for the last two years? I spoke to her about this and she told me that she couldn't love me easily because of the things she went through with her ex. That's why it took her so long to trust me and FINALLY love me with all her heart. But meh, I don't buy it. Those words meant nothing to me.So today, I was just cleaning up the files on my computer and I have her old files from the time she asked me to move her files. Again, I was curious to see what was there and I saw our pictures. I was just looking through our old pictures and I accidentally came across this old video. This old video was a loving sex tape of her and her loving ex. I honestly regret clicking on the folder so much and not remaining in blissful ignorance. I honestly don't know what to do anymore, this situation is so hosed up. Sorry for the long post.

Should I confront her or should I just break it off completely?

TLDR: Have trust issues with gf and now found old sextape with her ex. Thinking of completely breaking up with her? Help?

EDIT: Just to let you guys know, I snooped through her messages once (I know this doesn't make it okay). She always goes through my phone when I'm asleep. She's literally blocked all my female friends. She's never trusted me once throughout our relationship.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah you both need to not be with each other or anyone else

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

and you're assuming he'll progress linearly like carlsen did. he could just plateau out, get bored and quit chess, etc.

I'm not assuming he'll reach that level, in fact it's incredibly unlikely for the reaons you stated, I'm just saying he is where he needs to be now.

CountingCrows fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 14, 2019

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Xik posted:

even if the kid makes a living playing chess he’ll still be a completely unsocialized homeschooled kid sitting in the corner with a bowlcut smelling of fennel. send the fucker to school

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
It's weird that chess kid's parents can't be like, "hey study chess 15 hours a day, then maybe spend an hour a day figuring out basic multiplication." It implies a lack of basic critical thinking, which they are now forcing their kid to fail to develop.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Just saw my girlfriends sex tape with her ex today...SHOULD I BREAK UP WITH HER?

EDIT: Just to let you guys know, I snooped through her messages once (I know this doesn't make it okay). She always goes through my phone when I'm asleep. She's literally blocked all my female friends. She's never trusted me once throughout our relationship.

Hahahahahah

Why don't they ever present this kind of relevant info in the body of the OP

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Jesus what a couple of assholes

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She told me that he had her nudes and videos and I told her it's okay, because that's normal in a relationship.

Cool nightmare future we have here.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Being worried your girlfriends family is lining the big suitcase with drugs is like that guy on 90 day fiancée who wore condoms when swimming because he was worried parasites would swim up his pee hole.

This is the guy arguing that it is Fine and Reasonable to not bring the biggest suitcase for your girlfriends foreign family:
https://youtu.be/Hb1kqy-bk_4

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Switchback posted:

Being worried your girlfriends family is lining the big suitcase with drugs is like that guy on 90 day fiancée who wore condoms when swimming because he was worried parasites would swim up his pee hole.

This is the guy arguing that it is Fine and Reasonable to not bring the biggest suitcase for your girlfriends foreign family:

holy poo poo how do people like this survive outside in the real world

such a warped understanding of basic risk analysis involved with every day tasks like swimming in a goddamn lake

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

holy poo poo how do people like this survive outside in the real world

such a warped understanding of basic risk analysis involved with every day tasks like swimming in a goddamn lake

One could argue quite convincingly that appearing on 90 day fiancee isn't surviving in the real world.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

chitoryu12 posted:

They've somehow made a child who's incapable of doing anything except playing chess.

Plot twist, the parents are Deep Blue and an actual chessboard.

Switchback posted:

this is just some bad writing, how are you keeping a condom on your dick while swimming in a lake

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Hellsau posted:

Plot twist, the parents are Deep Blue and an actual chessboard.

this is just some bad writing, how are you keeping a condom on your dick while swimming in a lake

If I had my computer up and running, I'd photoshop a tagline that includes,"...for your weiner in the water."

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 14, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't understand how so many people are so comfortable taking nudes these days and sending them to people they barely know or putting them on a "secure" cloud, but then getting so upset when that media invariably is spread around. People shouldn't spread that poo poo, but people are horrible so it always seems to happen. It's like the taking and exchanging of nudes and sex vids has become normalized, but the reality of the total lack of privacy of our digital media hasn't sunk in at all, and this mis-match creates a ton of easily avoidable drama.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

spacetoaster posted:

I'm guessing the government gave him a very basic "Do you know basic math/reading" and he failed.

Dude, they're loving with the kid's ability to rake in those chess millions!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

Jesus christ dude, not every hallway requires you to turn sideways to walk through it. My wife had twins, for goodness sakes!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hellsau posted:

You mean when you go swimming in a lake you aren't fully erect the entire time?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

[NJ] Can I get in trouble for the following?

quote:

First things first, I'm against circumcision. It needs to stop. Now that that's over with, I'm thinking of going to the nearest hospital and taping pro-intact posters on the walls/bulletin boards of the maternity ward. Is this within my rights, or can I potentially get in legal trouble for something like trespassing or 'disturbing the peace'? I'm well aware that some people/policemen have a stick up where the sun don't shine and will not hesitate to make up some sort of excuse or technicality to get me in trouble. Barring this, am I (legally) in the clear?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

lmao this is the best derail of the last 6 months

Agreed. Nice ambiguous OP that skirted some discriminating details and threw in a bunch of weird reactions.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

QuarkJets posted:

[NJ] Can I get in trouble for the following?

Oh yeah just waltz in. That's why you see anti abortion posters plastered all over the place in hospitals.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand how so many people are so comfortable taking nudes these days and sending them to people they barely know or putting them on a "secure" cloud, but then getting so upset when that media invariably is spread around. People shouldn't spread that poo poo, but people are horrible so it always seems to happen. It's like the taking and exchanging of nudes and sex vids has become normalized, but the reality of the total lack of privacy of our digital media hasn't sunk in at all, and this mis-match creates a ton of easily avoidable drama.

I'm proud that when a potential employer Googles my name, which is legally cumshitter, that the first results are my gigantic dick. I want to work with big swinging dicked alphas and not some losers who are intimidated by my girth and the perfect arc of my cock.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

aw I went back to the luggage post for updates and the guy deleted his account after just a few measly comments asking if he'd accused his girlfriend of trying to make him a drug mule

coward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Just lol if a search for your name on the internet doesn't bring up your gigantic dick as the first result and if it doesn't lean slightly left or right, depending on whether you are north or south of the equator, because of the Coriolis effect.