Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FireWorksWell posted:

My lord, I hope she can get help and work on these anger issues. It's always the people who CAPITALIZE for emphasis that seem to say so little in so many words.

Gay or straight, any sane human being would probably stay away from the girl who gets angry and commentates on every single PDA between straight people.

Are you really this loving stupid?

This poor girl is trapped in a home where her parents are openly bigoted against her and you think her being upset about this makes the girl in the wrong?

FireWorksWell posted:

I agree about the latter but she needs to learn better coping skills quickly, because she's gonna became a hardcore heterophobe (is that even a term yet?)

Of course it's not a term yet you loving bigot.

At least this answered my earlier question.

If you really can't see that this girl is making a point to her homophobic parents when she points out straight people being affectionate with each other, then there's no help for you.

How are all the other students at Covington Catholic school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
lmao "gay people will ostracize her for speaking ill of straights" proves that this poster is so lovely they don't even know any gay people

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kru posted:

During Christmas absolutely yes I would be surprised - here in Scotland there is zero religious element to it. I don't pray, and it is awkward for me to do so. As I stated in previous post, that's why I would feel pressured, which I'm sure you agree is absolutely normal.

Alright, and as a British person myself, how about if we say 'Christmas Eve midnight mass' or something? It's a religious ceremony. Religion gonna happen during it. As other people said, if you are uncomfortable with this, feel free not to go.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It's a religious holiday. You should not be surprised if something religious happens during it. Would you also feel pressured and awkward about taking part in a prayer before a Christmas celebration? That's a rhetorical question, I'm sure there's a ton of reddit posts about exactly that.

Maybe don't invite atheists to your religious events and expect them to participate in the overtly religious parts.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Assuming that breeder post is accurate, gently caress her family. As someone who had a hysterectomy, and shouldn't have had kids anyway due to health problems who always wanted kids, that post hits close to home.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

No Pants posted:

Maybe don't invite atheists to your religious events and expect them to participate in the overtly religious parts.

A lot of religious people don't seem to understand atheists and assume it's indifference towards religion, when it's usually a measure of discomfort towards it. (especially organised religion) Or they do, and it's intended to be passive-aggressive. (very common with certain kinds of religious people, ask how many open atheists get asked to say Grace. I'm one of em)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
If it's "just words" and they don't matter then it's be cool if he said the 14 words when it's his turn next year, right??

He could choose not to go, but do you think that would make his GF happier or less happy? She's the one asking for advice, not him. So the question is: does she really want to insist on this to the point of excluding him entirely? I don't think you can say he is wrong for accepting an invitation with a condition that he not be asked to participate in this one part of the event, and if that condition is not acceptable, then she shouldn't invite him. If she invites him again and then insists on something he has made clear he is uncomfortable with, then she is definitely the rear end in a top hat.

I've refused to do poo poo I didn't feel comfortable with at family gatherings and people gave me a little crap for it, but whatever - getting crap for it was less uncomfortable than doing it would have been.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Did you just compare saying a prayer at passover to saying the fourteen words at passover. what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Freudian posted:

Did you just compare saying a prayer at passover to saying the fourteen words at passover. what the gently caress is wrong with you.

I'm making fun of the ridiculous "words don't matter or have meaning" argument, yes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"AITA for comparing a Passover prayer to the 14 words"

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

"AITA for comparing a Passover prayer to the 14 words"

Okay, maybe the real issue is that words don't have meaning for you because you lack any reading comprehension.

The point is that anybody saying "it's just words, right? It's not like they mean anything to him" is making an argument in bad faith to serve their own ends. They don't actually believe that words have no meaning. How do I know this? Because they get really angry over certain words! As they loving should! Because words do have meaning and the 14 words should make you mad. If they don't make you mad, there is something wrong with you.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It really depends on which 14 words

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

If words have meaning then why did you use yours to compare Jewish prayers to the 14 words

kru
Oct 5, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Alright, and as a British person myself, how about if we say 'Christmas Eve midnight mass' or something? It's a religious ceremony. Religion gonna happen during it. As other people said, if you are uncomfortable with this, feel free not to go.

Right (and I dont go!), but that's literally going to a church - of course there would be ceremony. I hope I dont need to explain why going to a church/synagogue is not the same as going round someones house.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Imagine this guy at a wedding and when it's his turn to toast the bride and groom he insists on securing a future for white children

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Freudian posted:

If words have meaning then why did you use yours to compare Jewish prayers to the 14 words

Holy poo poo, are you really this dense?

If you believe - as I do - that words have meaning, then obviously the 14 words are very different and incomparable to a prayer. That is literally my point. That is exactly what I was illustrating. You keep repeating my point back to me as though I don't understand it.

Edit: maybe this is more clear:

Me: words mean things. For instance, we all agree that those nazi words are terrible.
You: hey, those nazi words are terrible! Way worse than other words!
Me: yeah. Duh. That's what I'm saying. We agree.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 23, 2019

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/legaladvice Small Claims Procedure
Hi guys, tonight I got punched in the face!
u/MrMcCJr

quote:

Today I (M21) went to a bar with 2 of my friends. The only thing that I remember about the incident was that I was told by a friend to "look out for that aggressive guy" and then I was immediately punched in the face. I filled 8 napkins with blood, and my friends sweatshirt too! My campus security spoke with me for a bit, before I spent time with the police and then the ambulance. My friends know who the girlfriend is of the man who hit me, but I want to know how I can best get justice for what happened. Who should I talk to tomorrow morning? Hey! Forgot to include that this happened in NY. And I dont know which flair to use :/

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Araenna posted:

Assuming that breeder post is accurate, gently caress her family. As someone who had a hysterectomy, and shouldn't have had kids anyway due to health problems who always wanted kids, that post hits close to home.

Same. Not having/wanting kids is a perfectly valid choice to make. gently caress people that treat you like a child ("You don't know what you want") or degrade your accomplishments ("That's nice but the real best thing you can do is have kids, nothing else is valuable") because they live their lives differently. Nothing like surviving cancer only to be told "Its too bad you'll never be a real woman now since you can't have kids." Saying "I do not want kids" is not a personal attack and its not an invitation to change someone's mind about their desires in life.

gently caress her family.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The cousin was way out of line, but the line about her "ruined vagina" irks me and is very misogynistic.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

The cousin was way out of line, but the line about her "ruined vagina" irks me and is very misogynistic.

And that line from the cousin about how her life will ultimately be worthless and that she will end up bitter and alone because she chose career over a ~baby~ wasn't?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I think the Passover story really hinges on id he was familiar with the tradition and told beforehand that part of it is that everyone must read. Some posters seem to insist that he must have known, but I have never been to a Passover dinner and would have no idea. If nobody warned him about that and he didn't know, then he hasn't really done anything wrong. If she told him beforehand and made it clear that all guests must participate, then he was being unreasonable. Anyone from the broader American/European culture with no knowledge of Jewish traditions is likely to think that it is about as religious as Christmas or Easter is for Americas/Europeans, which is to say not very religious.

My wife's family is Christian, and if they asked me to say grace I would ask that someone else do it because it's not my thing. If they then insisted I must pray, I'm not sure how I would react.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Dazerbeams posted:

And that line from the cousin about how her life will ultimately be worthless and that she will end up bitter and alone because she chose career over a ~baby~ wasn't?

Where did I say that? Jesus, not every situation is one good guy and one bad guy. They both said stupid poo poo.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bell jar posted:

this but unironically. if you don't want to participate in passover dinner, don't go to passover dinner. if you want to be a pissy baby about supporting your partner's heritage, you can go eat from your slop bowl at home

I've been going to Seder for three years, I still feel kinda stupid and out of place during the songs in Hebrew, but I'll read a passage if asked. The first time I was like 'Wait, what? ME?' figuring I was gonna eff it up or something, but I felt like they were trying to include me.

I did have a meltdown about it the first year, but only because I brought a pie for dessert and only later found out it goes against Passover rules.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

Where did I say that? Jesus, not every situation is one good guy and one bad guy. They both said stupid poo poo.

Well I don't think they're both assholes either. The OP was subjected to several hours of harassment over her lack of baby despite everyone knowing she is physically incapable of having one. And when the cousin ramped it up to some seriously offensive poo poo, the woman snapped.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
But that’s the thing- most (I say most because I know some families who are super assholish about it) people wouldn’t force you to say grace. I’ve been to many Xmas and thanksgiving dinners where people pray and bowing my head for a minute doesn’t seem that egregious. It’s just common courtesy for the host.

Likewise, people don’t say “but we didn’t pray!” when they come to my house.

He knew the deal at Passover dinner. Is the family pushy and dickish? Yeah, a bit for having non Jewish people participate, but only the saltiest of atheists wouldn’t just read some words to be nice to the host if they knew in advance that was the deal.

Getting surprised by it would flip the tables and make the family super assholes, but this guy knew the drill and still went.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

areyoucontagious posted:

He knew the deal at Passover dinner. Is the family pushy and dickish? Yeah, a bit for having non Jewish people participate, but only the saltiest of atheists wouldn’t just read some words to be nice to the host if they knew in advance that was the deal.

Getting surprised by it would flip the tables and make the family super assholes, but this guy knew the drill and still went.

Is that in the comments on reddit or something? Because the OP does not state he knew.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dazerbeams posted:

Well I don't think they're both assholes either. The OP was subjected to several hours of harassment over her lack of baby despite everyone knowing she is physically incapable of having one. And when the cousin ramped it up to some seriously offensive poo poo, the woman snapped.
This is a clear case of she started it, or don't dish it if you can't take it. I find in favour of the OP.

Someone translate that into bad latin thanks

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice Small Claims Procedure
Hi guys, tonight I got punched in the face!
u/MrMcCJr

I really hope they literally said "Hey, look out for that aggressive guy" with a straight face right before he got punched.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

therobit posted:

Is that in the comments on reddit or something? Because the OP does not state he knew.

I was going over another poster, but it looks like you’re right. So I judge them both assholes. The first time around it’s on her for not warning him, and next Passover (assuming they’re still together) it’s on him for going but not participating.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

super rude to say the 14 words to someone who can't even have children IMO

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

super rude to say the 14 words to someone who can't even have children IMO

lol this is great

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladviceofftopic/comments/abjg2y/i_trained_an_ai_to_generate_rlegaladvice_post/

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
If you're comparing saying "thank you God for bringing us out of Egypt" to the fourteen words there is no hope for you.

That said, at most seders there's many things said that aren't prayers. The most important part of a seder is telling the story of the Exodus, which mentions God but isn't a prayer. If this guy were mature and willing to have a conversation instead of pouting I'm sure they could work something out. If even that is too much to handle then we've got bigger problems here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I like to think these are all the same guy

[CA] My fiance is a minor, what should I do?

Update: property manager took my girlfriend 3 months ago, no idea what to do.

(GA) I was arrested and won't leave

I was fired from my life, what can I do?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 23, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

No Pants posted:

I'm a big goony atheist who thinks all religion is dumb/evil/a scam, etc. I still participate in minor religious ceremonies and events for friends and family because I still possess some shred of tact and politeness. I even go to church with them sometimes for major holidays. I do it not because I want to be there, but because it is important to other people in my life and I care about them. Yeah, doing that stuff isn't really my thing either and I think it's a bit weird, but when I am a guest in someone else's house I will go along with their traditions instead of choosing to make myself the center of attention as the boyfriend did.

Like I get not wanting to be forced to participate in events in general, but for this specific situation I think the boyfriend is extremely lame and needs to get over himself. That's how I acted when I was 13.

edit: There were other atheists/non-religious people (including the OP) and non-Jewish people present who were fine with taking part, so clearly the issue there wasn't with "atheists", it was just this dude.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 23, 2019

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I like to think these are all the same guy

[CA] My fiance is a minor, what should I do?

Update: property manager took my girlfriend 3 months ago, no idea what to do.

(GA) I was arrested and won't leave

I was fired from my life, what can I do?

All's well that ends well, I suppose

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

zakharov posted:

If you're comparing saying "thank you God for bringing us out of Egypt" to the fourteen words there is no hope for you.

No one said that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Was pulled over for getting out of an accident in the US. I am a gun.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

quote:

Was pulled over for getting out of an accident in the US. I am a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I [19M] am in great relationship with [19F] but DESPERATELY want to gently caress an older woman

quote:

My girlfriend is certainly the girl I want to marry. We have amazing conversations, sex, and similar life goals. The thing is... I really want to have sex with a MILF. The idea of engaging in something so taboo and raunchy haunts me multiple times a day. The worst part is it won't be the same once I'm in my twenties to have sex with a 35 year old as it would be now. I want to feel like I'm finally man enough to have sex with one of my mom's friends.

I don't want to break up with her for an hour of euphoria, but I worry I will always regret it if i lose out on this chance.

TL;DR want to have sex with a milf but am in relationship

poor stacey :(