Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kraftwerk posted:

If Lexus could somehow keep up with Audi on making decent turbo V6 engines and do away with the lovely spaceshipy design and predator grilles with updated internal/infotainment tech I would be all over it.

But as it stands Lexus always seems old and dated compared to the competition. This makes me an Audi guy. I think an S4 or S5 sportback is the perfect car for me. Or alternatively an A6.

Otherwise I’m enjoying my new 2019 Jetta. I may trade it in for a new GLI in 2 years because I’m really starting to feel the floaty suspension and lack of power at higher RPMs.

When I look at the new Golf R I’m impressed but then I remember a new Camry V6 XSE costs about the same and gives me way more car for the money and I likely wouldn’t notice the difference.

Kia Stinger for 45k will give you a hatch, rear-biased AWD, and a twin-turbo V6...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm this close to buying a Golf R but don't drive enough to justify it :(.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
You better believe if I wanted an 'aw gently caress this'-sort of car that I didn't want to fuss about or mess with at all it would be a Lexus. It's like cheating.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Morphix posted:

I mean look at it. It's not great. It's not exciting. It just exists. But for less than $30k, what other interior in the automotive world, will hold up as well as a loving lexus? ...yes I helped my mom buy one of these off lease l/certifieds, and honestly, once the updated bodystyle ones go off lease, im probably gonna pick one up as well. The lexus CPO experience is the poo poo. Like I'm not trying to sell lexus here or anything, but you get a 2yr free waranty and you can buy a basic warranty for like $1500 and boost it to 6 years. But it's a lexus, so stick with the free 2 yr. Oh and your bank will give you new car rates on l/certifieds.

I dunno I just helped MY GIRLFRIEND into a 2016 BMW X1 with 35K miles, about as optioned-out as they were available outside of custom orders. BMW CPO warranty, and there's thousands available across the US.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KillHour posted:

I'm laughing because there were full sized pickups and SUVs parked in the "compact vehicles only" row at the airport today.

my car was backed into Monday in a giant, nearly empty parking lot by none other than a crew cab truck with a long bed. its the second time its been hit this year so I'm pretty much done with it. hello Audi A5

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think you typoed that and meant to type an S instead of an A.

Edit: The RS3 has a turbo I5. Just saying.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 24, 2019

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Audi made a decent turbo V6? When was this?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

The Prong Song posted:

I dunno I just helped MY GIRLFRIEND into a 2016 BMW X1 with 35K miles, about as optioned-out as they were available outside of custom orders. BMW CPO warranty, and there's thousands available across the US.

Right, just let me know when BMW ever enters any top 5 reliable vehicle studies, because Lexus has topped them for like 15 years or whatever it is. I guess to me the RX 350 is like the perfect day to day car. If you want tech, it's not the brand, but again in 5 years when that tech looks just as stupid as the toyota, you'll have an unreliable car. So who loving cares about tech in a car. Heated seats and comfy ride all day long.

and more importantly, an RX 350 is just a more of a vehicle than the X1, and I just looked it up, that 2016 is the same price as the 15' RX350 with roughly the same off-lease miles. Like we're talking about CUV's here, so any sporty pretensions are just that. The X1 is just as ugly as the RX350, so ya I''ll take Lexus's most popular selling vehicle, so parts will be dirt cheap, it will be easy to service. And again, it's a loving lexus so you'll never have to worry about your car having some bullshit electrical problems once that warranty runs out.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KillHour posted:

I think you typoed that and meant to type an S instead of an A.

Edit: The RS3 has a turbo I5. Just saying.

im debating jumping to an S5, the frugal adult part of my brain still needs convincing

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I remember when truck fans were ragging on this pickup for being too "feminine-looking" compared to the last gen.

I do remember, and sales went up. Turned out making it a little more carlike was the good move.

BraveUlysses posted:

My favorite part of this generation is the abysmal crash test results

https://money.cnn.com/2001/06/04/home_auto/pickups_crash/

Yeah, the extended cab one folds like an accordion. I wonder if the 2-door and 4-door do any better? They can't be worse

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 24, 2019

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I'm this close to buying a Golf R but don't drive enough to justify it :(.

Sounds like you need a miata then.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FuturePastNow posted:

I really think the best looking pickup was the late 90s F-150. Look at this:

Update the engine and transmission in that, give it some modern tech toys, improve the crash safety a bit, sell it

lol no

BloodBag posted:

The bullnose F150 is the ugliest one.

Bricknose is best f150

Also this F150 is pure sex.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Kia Stinger for 45k will give you a hatch, rear-biased AWD, and a twin-turbo V6...

Yeah, no thanks. During a 7h drive through Pennsylvania today I was reminiscing about the 2.0l diesel A5 Sportback I used to have a few years back. Did a 500 mile round trip for work every Wednesday in that thing, and to me it was so fundamentally satisfying and casually attractive, I’ve been looking at 2018 Sportbacks for the last two hours.
The Kia does nothing for me.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
No manual option for the awd Mazda 3 in the US

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

And that's a surprise how?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

morothar posted:

Yeah, no thanks. During a 7h drive through Pennsylvania today I was reminiscing about the 2.0l diesel A5 Sportback I used to have a few years back. Did a 500 mile round trip for work every Wednesday in that thing, and to me it was so fundamentally satisfying and casually attractive, I’ve been looking at 2018 Sportbacks for the last two hours.
The Kia does nothing for me.

I agree that the Stinger (particularly the front end) is not nearly as attractive as an A5 or any Audi, but the A5 starts at $44k and has 248 HP.

The Stinger GT starts at $38k and has 365 HP, so if your purchase is performance biased then the Stinger has quite an advantage, one that might even outweigh how nice the Audi looks and how ugly the Stinger is.

It makes me sad that so few people will buy the Stinger GT that it likely will never be a realistic used option even in my large market. I wonder if Kia will break even on the R&D.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 24, 2019

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

KakerMix posted:

You better believe if I wanted an 'aw gently caress this'-sort of car that I didn't want to fuss about or mess with at all it would be a Lexus. It's like cheating.

my ''aw gently caress this' car is a GS350, but holy goddamn is it ugly from every angle.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 24, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Something Offal posted:

I agree that the Stinger (particularly the front end) is not nearly as attractive as an A5 or any Audi, but the A5 starts at $44k and has 248 HP.

The Stinger GT starts at $38k and has 365 HP, so if your purchase is performance biased then the Stinger has quite an advantage, one that might even outweigh how nice the Audi looks and how ugly the Stinger is.

It makes me sad that so few people will buy the Stinger GT that it likely will never be a realistic used option even in my large market. I wonder if Kia will break even on the R&D.
Most of it is shared with the Genesis G70 so I don’t know how you would split the costs up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They're gonna sell even less of the G70.

Also, the place where I bought my Stinger still has like 8 of them on the lot - I think mine is the only one they sold. I bet you can get them for a steal by now and I don't understand why more people don't seriously consider them. The GT2 is VERY nice inside.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The lack of manual is what kills it for me.

It's not going to be too much longer where I don't have a choice and have to get an automatic or just go transmissionless altogether with an electric car. So, I need to get my kicks in while I can.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

They're gonna sell even less of the G70.

Also, the place where I bought my Stinger still has like 8 of them on the lot - I think mine is the only one they sold. I bet you can get them for a steal by now and I don't understand why more people don't seriously consider them. The GT2 is VERY nice inside.

Well I for one can't comfortably afford a new car in the class of the Stinger GT, so that's my excuse. I would only be able to get one used and I like being able to pick through a large supply (like I can find with a 3 series or A4) to find one I want, instead of the 2 in my city.

Thanks for buying one, friend.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's not going to be too much longer where I don't have a choice and have to get an automatic or just go transmissionless altogether with an electric car. So, I need to get my kicks in while I can.

While I agree that having the manual in my RS is more engaging, when push comes to shove and I actually have to get in a car and go somewhere, I go for the Stinger 75% of the time. The only reasons it's not more like 95% are because a: I technically got it for my girlfriend and she drives it to work and b: it's a lease and I'm trying not to put a ton of miles on it. But in literally every situation except on a track, it's hands down the better car even though I'm paying like $100/mo less for it.

Edit: Also hooning in an empty parking lot after it snows. The RS wins there too.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 24, 2019

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Proud Christian Mom posted:

im debating jumping to an S5, the frugal adult part of my brain still needs convincing

S5 Sportback is an extremely practical and adult car. You can put a dog in the back, it’s got AWD for bad weather and, uh, just think of how quickly you can accelerate out of dangerous situations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Buy a 10 year old S5 with a V8.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Something Offal posted:

The GT is like $60k here, gently caress. I though it could fit in the company car budget as a non-boring VAG piece of crap but I guess not, even if you exclude VAT.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smooth jazz posted:

my ''aw gently caress this' car is a GS350, but holy goddamn is it ugly from every angle.

How are the IS Lexuses as a beater? Just as good as the GS?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

bull3964 posted:

Sitting in traffic the other day, nothing was moving because someone played bumper cars and started a fire, I looked on Tesla's model 3 configurator. I put blue paint (+$1500), because I love blue cars, I put the sport wheels (+$1500) because I'm not fond of the stock wheels, RWD only, base everything else and that self driving option (+$5000). The car's price was $52K USD. :captainpop: Then there's the "price after savings" I had to investigate what they were: Federal tax credit of $3750 and estimated 6 year gas savings $4,300.

Really? May as well offset that with utility increase or depreciation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

This is also a “yet” right now, but I think the take rates on say manual Imprezas are abysmal so I doubt it will happen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh, I've been considering a model 3 on and off, but I would have to upgrade the electrical in my house first.

I really don't sit in much stop and go traffic though.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

bull3964 posted:

Oh, I've been considering a model 3 on and off, but I would have to upgrade the electrical in my house first.

I really don't sit in much stop and go traffic though.

if you want a ticking time bomb, buy the model 3. but if you don't want a potential $50k paperweight. you may want to wait till this summer, because there is a chance that tesla as a company may not be around.

and that's before we get to the poo poo build quality and all the problems you'll have if you don't live in a desert and see any cold weather.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Morphix posted:

and that's before we get to the poo poo build quality and all the problems you'll have if you don't live in a desert and see any cold weather.

It's going to get pretty cold here next week. I'm interested to see how the electric cars work when it's that cold.

It was -15°F this past Monday morning and my winter car (which sits outside) was not very happy about starting, and shifting was like stirring molasses.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

CornHolio posted:

It's going to get pretty cold here next week. I'm interested to see how the electric cars work when it's that cold.

It was -15°F this past Monday morning and my winter car (which sits outside) was not very happy about starting, and shifting was like stirring molasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCv_Ha0oWjE

and that's just the start of how stupid these cares are. charge ports not closing because of cold temps, people literally having to defrost their car for 30 minutes in the mornings because of how stupidly the heating system is configured.

it's a comedy of errors, and that's before you get to all the business poo poo Tesla has been pulling.

https://twitter.com/paul_m_huettner/status/1088213905145511937?s=21

that's a list of executives who have left Tesla in the past 6 months. It's a sinking ship, and there is going to be a poo poo load of people stuck with an uprepaireable piece of poo poo. Oh also, hope you like waiting 3-6 months for simple bumper repair, because parts are seemingly non-existent and 3 months for simple repairs seems to be the minumum for any body work.

e- gently caress it, here is some more

auto pilot will kill you:

https://old.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/afeoso/autopilot_caused_road_rage_incident/

oh and gooooood loving luck getting the thing repaired like I said
https://np.reddit.com/r/TeslaModel3/comments/aj7z0z/tesla_repairsatrocious_part_backorder_time_and/

https://old.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/aisapt/tesla_body_shop_runaround/

here is fun stories about owning the model 3 in cold conditions
https://twitter.com/zomgapocalypse/status/1063179090499375107

https://old.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/a0t8ak/tesla_daily_discussion_november_27_2018/eal14tq/

Morphix fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 24, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
more tesla schad

https://i.imgur.com/HxwG2fv.mp4

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
That gif doesn't seem to be the car's fault, what a dummy. The snow shovel undercarriage thing is hilarious, seems like exactly the kind of thing you miss without very thorough testing in all weather.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
maybe not but maybe they hit the close/lock doors button and the doors didn't close? the schad is real and good either way. maybe 6 months for them to get replacement parts? even better

is the other vehicle an X too?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The x is notorious for having issues where the doors stop working. There are reports of them opening while people are driving.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is also a “yet” right now, but I think the take rates on say manual Imprezas are abysmal so I doubt it will happen.

This is one of those things where nobody buys the manual Impreza, so dealers don't order them, so you can't even find them if you tried. I wanted to test drive a 5 speed Crosstrek a few years back and basically had a couple salesmen laugh at me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

fknlo posted:

This is one of those things where nobody buys the manual Impreza, so dealers don't order them, so you can't even find them if you tried. I wanted to test drive a 5 speed Crosstrek a few years back and basically had a couple salesmen laugh at me.

I bought a manual Tacoma about ten years ago and I was trying to find a Forester or Outback in manual to test drive and the guy was like 'yeah we can't do that.'

Uh, it's on your loving website. Do you want to sell a car or not? Jesus.

Toyota guy was the same way but I was like hey, loving FIND IT or i'll leave. Magically he made it happen.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LeeMajors posted:

I bought a manual Tacoma about ten years ago and I was trying to find a Forester or Outback in manual to test drive and the guy was like 'yeah we can't do that.'

Uh, it's on your loving website. Do you want to sell a car or not? Jesus.

Toyota guy was the same way but I was like hey, loving FIND IT or i'll leave. Magically he made it happen.

They don't really want to sell cars to hard or picky customers if your market has plenty of easy customers walking through the door who just want to buy an automatic Crosstrek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Twerk from Home posted:

They don't really want to sell cars to hard or picky customers if your market has plenty of easy customers walking through the door who just want to buy an automatic Crosstrek.

I agree with your point in general, but it isn't 'picky' to want to buy a car that is offered by a manufacturer.

Oh well, i'll just continue to bemoan the death of the manual transmission. We had a good run. :smith: