Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You probably haven't stared at the front end of a dragster unless you're in the sport, but most don't have a suspension up there. Woody Gilmore added IFS to his. The idea was that the front end could absorb some shock after lifting prevent the rear ended from breaking traction. It was a major hurdle to overcome in the 60s when slingshots were still a pretty new layout. Back then as well as now, if you spun the tires the race was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Saw this last weekend. Might be trying a little hard, but still thought it was pretty rad.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Okay, want.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

"The perfect house doesn't ex-"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWytJviH3d0

:stare:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

[moves to left lane]
[leaves rando car for dead]

:stonklol:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

HandlingByJebus posted:

[moves to left lane]

I really want to see that thing do donuts.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjeU4S10d2A

I love Scumbag Labs so much :allears:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

HandlingByJebus posted:

[moves to left lane]

https://youtu.be/GWytJviH3d0?t=545

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVz1kBnIDd0

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

boxen posted:

I really want to see that thing do donuts.

Somehow I really thought they were going to try

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It makes donuts on the outside..and the inside

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The license plate is "SHTRS FULL" :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dumb poo poo is great :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

:allbuttons:

holyshit buses were the wrong way to go.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqpq_Vye49A

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm the sheetmetal guy working with the giant bandage around his finger because he's sliding sheet around the shop with no loving gloves on.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I'm the sheetmetal guy working with the giant bandage around his finger because he's sliding sheet around the shop with no loving gloves on.

Yeah I noticed that. At first I thought he was missing the end of his finger, and it was pretty clear why when he was manipulating that huge sheet around.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

McTinkerson posted:

Along those lines, you should just give it a V12...off to Toys R Us I go

I have some bad news for you, I’m afraid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I love that Winnebago. I watch the build videos for a few months ago. LS all the things. Hell, if nothing else, it gets better mileage than new.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

I have some bad news for you, I’m afraid.

They're still around in Canada.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I love that Winnebago. I watch the build videos for a few months ago. LS all the things. Hell, if nothing else, it gets better mileage than new.

I wonder how well it would hold up to actual RV use, small motor with a heavy load plus boost. I guess that thing has room for a bigass aluminum radiator and intercooler.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

User Error posted:

I wonder how well it would hold up to actual RV use, small motor with a heavy load plus boost. I guess that thing has room for a bigass aluminum radiator and intercooler.

Iron block Gen 3/4 SBCs are hella stout and meth injection keeps the temps down too.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

PSA: This set comes out March 1, costs $150

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I just finished the first section of the 911 GT3RS build and it is huge and awesome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

User Error posted:

The transmission would probably be the weak link, honestly. Forced induction engines are generally pretty beefy in the rotating bits to begin with, and can be made to make power in mostly the right places for that sort of thing.

You’d probably need something like an Allison 2000 or something to have any hope of long-term survivability.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

They're still around in Canada.

Really? Cool!

User Error posted:

He said in the behind-the-scenes video that they had it in boost for minutes-long periods climbing hills. They put methanol injection on it for just that reason.

Wrar posted:

Iron block Gen 3/4 SBCs are hella stout and meth injection keeps the temps down too.

e:f,b.

MrYenko posted:

The transmission would probably be the weak link, honestly. Forced induction engines are generally pretty beefy in the rotating bits to begin with, and can be made to make power in mostly the right places for that sort of thing.

You’d probably need something like an Allison 2000 or something to have any hope of long-term survivability.

It only had a 440/727 originally, though the 727 *is* legendarily stout. A 4L80 would probably be sufficient.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MetaJew posted:

I just finished the first section of the 911 GT3RS build and it is huge and awesome.

I built the Bugatti one recently and it was a work of art

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
At Folly Beach for the "Folly Gras" parade, and they usually have a couple classic cars of varying quality. This truck was new, and very AI.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
So, I was watching TV and caught an episode of some car show where they buy and restore a DeLorean DMC-12. Besides realizing for the first time that the overall design of the car is a blatant copy of the Lancia Beta Montecarlo...

... I got curious about the infamous lovely engine, and decided to read up on it. While thinking how crazy it was for a 2.8L V6 to be so underpowered in nearly all of its incarnations, I noticed a bit on Wikipedia that mentioned one of my favorite cars ever

Apparently, the famous 12000 RPM naturally-aspirated V6 of the Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wysO0nj2bMQ

(just listen)

... was actually the maligned V6 PRV, and the fact was kept hush-hush by Fiat for obvious publicity reasons. I found this interview with the chief engineer of the 155 V6 TI project, Sergio Limone (of Fiat 131 Abarth, Lancia Rally, Lancia Delta S4... and Fiat Palio Rally fame):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRcFpmQL3bc

(Italian with English subtitles)

... and he's like, guilty as charged. For the fourth and final season of the car, they needed to upgrade the engine from the 60° Busso V6 to a 90° V6, but the only Alfa Romeo 90° was the Montreal V8, which was completely inadequate: it was an expensive engine with a short production run, it was old, it had to lose two cylinders, and the cylinders that would be left were too small and too close together to be rebored. So they had to get creative: since Alfa Romeo had briefly been merged with Lancia in the 80s, they felt free to look at the Lancia catalog. They realized the Lancia Thema had been available, among others, in PRV V6, that was pretty much perfect, outside of the whole "French" thing. For publicity reasons (Fiat was unhappy with the cost of their DTM team and itching for excuses to retire it), they lied and said they went with a cut Montreal V8, but specs from the FIA registration form match the PRV V6 exactly. Naturally, the race-spec engine has very little to do with the production engine (I've read that basically the block is the only part they kept), but it's still interesting and I had never heard about it before

Another interesting bit of rule-bending Limone admits to in the interview is the obviously illegal aerodynamic devices on the front doors of the 1996 model:

What made them legal is that it's technically not aero: "actually", it's a pair of unusually shaped, oversized... extra side-view mirrors, that just happen to fix a vortex that interfered with the rear wing

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Pretty sure I've got the right thread on this one.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That is Preet sweet, but man, youd think the could do a better job blending the two different bodies.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Very natural grafting of the pickup cab to the COE cab.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

That is Preet sweet, but man, youd think the could do a better job blending the two different bodies.

That almost beat out "like a rock" as their slogan around that time.

True story!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Wonder how the ride is (hint: very, very bad). It's like those newer Hino trucks with a hood/fenders welded to the front of a forward control cab, but weirder.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

this is a good read, that interview is great — “well Merc was inventing random stuff that there wasn’t specific rules against, so we just did the same thing, and the rule book guy was totally cool with it”. I recently read John Delorean’s autobiography and was really hoping there would be more in it about the design of the DMC in it, but it was mostly about his GM years, running out of money constantly, and dealing with the British government and US justice department stooges. go figure.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched The Last Race, a documentary about the last race track on Long Island. It's about what I expected in terms of content based on the description so I'm sure it won't be a huge revelation to anyone ITT, but it's a very nice look at the sport of driving in circles in lovely cars and some interesting characters nevertheless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J2lq4SuXeA

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

snugglz posted:

this is a good read, that interview is great

I love how graciously he drops burns on Fiat. True gentleman

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 25, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ3wnoQfLEs

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

hackbunny posted:

Apparently, the famous 12000 RPM naturally-aspirated V6 of the Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wysO0nj2bMQ

(just listen)

... was actually the maligned V6 PRV, and the fact was kept hush-hush by Fiat for obvious publicity reasons. I found this interview with the chief engineer of the 155 V6 TI project, Sergio Limone (of Fiat 131 Abarth, Lancia Rally, Lancia Delta S4... and Fiat Palio Rally fame):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRcFpmQL3bc

(Italian with English subtitles)

The video is great. I highly recommend it. It's an old Italian race engineer giving 0 fucks and just laying things out from his perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Adiabatic posted:

Right thread, I've recently started dreaming of getting an Isuzu flatbed (single or crew cab) with a chevy v8 and turning it into a bizarro hotrod truck.

e: Basically something like this but with tire smoke (fair warning, this video is pretty lame) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCvaIFMnC_A

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 25, 2019