Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So her response to a well-informed teacher and her well-informed students confronting her was to introduce legislation calling them ignorant. cool senator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Inspired by some rando chud liking my retweet of that video:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Old meme from November but still somehow relevant.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

El Mero Mero posted:

So her response to a well-informed teacher and her well-informed students confronting her was to introduce legislation calling them ignorant. cool senator.

no, the legislation was introduced three days before the video happened

she still sucks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Instant Sunrise posted:

Old meme from November but still somehow relevant.

Man as loving garbage as Feinstein is, Kevin De Leon is somehow even a bigger piece of poo poo by running the absolute worst campaign I've ever seen, intentionally just throwing it loving away! Like for gently caress sakes he ended up doing zero and still came out like 43% or something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xaris posted:

Man as loving garbage as Feinstein is, Kevin De Leon is somehow even a bigger piece of poo poo by running the absolute worst campaign I've ever seen, intentionally just throwing it loving away! Like for gently caress sakes he ended up doing zero and still came out like 43% or something.

Nah, Feinstein is still worse.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Xaris posted:

Kevin "Ghost Gun Campaign" De Leon

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nah, Feinstein is still worse.

Feinstein is one of the few existing politicians that is trump-level toxic.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1099076130089459712?s=21
She needs to resign. What a piece of poo poo.

We deserve better than a grumpy old goblin that’s barely a Democrat and a loving cop.

lol the centrists and bots almost ratio'd that tweet the other day, but they apparently poo poo the bed at around 16k replies and stopped closing the gap.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 24, 2019

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Xaris posted:

I would put money on De Leon being paid off somehow, either with promises of some future office, or outright cash. Hope I’m wrong but doubt I am.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bought off or threatened into submission

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It was probably strongly suggested that he back off after he got through the primary if he wanted a future in the state Dem machine.

And surprise surprise De Leon is running for LA city council and will probably shoot for mayor after that, so he might be planning the big city mayor to national politician track that Garcetti failed at. He'll want the major donors and party leaders in his corner for the attempt.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hah, gently caress him. No way I vote for that cockbucket ever again.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It was probably strongly suggested that he back off after he got through the primary if he wanted a future in the state Dem machine.

And surprise surprise De Leon is running for LA city council and will probably shoot for mayor after that, so he might be planning the big city mayor to national politician track that Garcetti failed at. He'll want the major donors and party leaders in his corner for the attempt.

Every up and comer who wants a future in the dem machine is going to find the machine falling apart by 2020, nice self own

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pomp posted:

Every up and comer who wants a future in the dem machine is going to find the machine falling apart by 2020, nice self own

Yeah, one of the few upsides to this mess is that the stubborn refusal of the entrenched geriatrics to vacate leadership and train successors means that there'll be fewer designated heirs to contented with once younger progressives start to take over.

If nothing else, you can count on Boomers to be myopic to the bitter end.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

FRINGE posted:

https://articles.thmsr.nl/the-flibe-energy-lftr49-the-triple-ace-in-nuclear-gen-iv-design-ea9bffcd71dd

(Theres a lot more info in there, including discussions of neutron deficits and possible ways to address that.)

That's why I was talking about MSR's in the first place.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Some good news today: San Francisco will remove more than 9,300 marijuana-related crimes from people’s records

quote:

San Francisco prosecutors announced Monday they would move to expunge 9,300 marijuana-related convictions dating back decades, part of a sweeping effort to rethink “the war on drugs” now that pot is legal in California.

The announcement culminated a year-long review of marijuana convictions in San Francisco, which critics say disproportionately punished minority communities and made it more difficult for those with criminal records to get jobs and other essentials.

Other California counties, including Los Angeles, are considering similar efforts, though none have gone as far as San Francisco. The Los Angeles County district attorney's office estimates there have been 40,000 felony convictions involving pot-related offenses since 1993, but prosecutors have not said how many of those could be eligible for being expunged.

“It was the morally right thing to do,” said San Francisco Dist. Atty. George Gascón. “If you have a felony conviction, you are automatically excluded in so many ways from participating in your community.”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. In the next nine days, seven of them will supposedly have rain.

I'm never going to be able to bike to work again :negative:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I've heard tell from lands afar that you can ride your bike in the rain

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Not when the only bike trail available runs directly next to the river all the city's stormdrains flow into, which completely floods out the trail for days on end when we get even an inch of rain, let alone two sustained months of it. :sigh:

I mean I could bike up along First Street to work - there are ostensibly painted bike lanes - but I'm not interested in being murdered by traffic on one of the busiest streets in the city. I already had to do it once when I tried to bike last week and found the trail completely flooded out, and I was almost hit on three separate occasions by dipshits who didn't look before trying to turn.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Just get a kayak and slap some wheels on that bad boy, now you've got a boatcycle.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Yay!

https://twitter.com/kcranews/status/1100618132455129088?s=21

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Next fire season is going to suck.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
You see, if we don't get any rain, the brush dries out and becomes extremely flammable and the fire season sucks.

On the other hand, if we do get rain, then the brush grows all over the place, meaning there's more fuel, and so the fire season sucks.

We just can't win.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sydin posted:

Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. In the next nine days, seven of them will supposedly have rain.

I'm never going to be able to bike to work again :negative:
Yeah I loving hate bay area commuting in the rain. I ride my bike to BART/casual carpool and I've finally ordered some fenders after my cheap-macguyver solutions have fallen apart or got stolen because freshmen stripes sucks, and even with a rain jacket inevitably my bag, shoes, and pants get wet. BART is also always a mega-delayed humid shitshow during the rain, and carpool is also pretty hosed traffic wise.

However, I love rainy weekends because they're just so cozy and :3 It's just confirmation bias, yet always feels like it rains during the work-week and then ends right before the weekend and picks up again on loving Monday. Hopefully we do get some nice rain this Sat/Sun.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I love rain*

*when I don't have to commute through it.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

FMguru posted:

You see, if we don't get any rain, the brush dries out and becomes extremely flammable and the fire season sucks.

On the other hand, if we do get rain, then the brush grows all over the place, meaning there's more fuel, and so the fire season sucks.

We just can't win.

Well that's where climate change is going to come in and give us a nice big gently caress you! The locked-in warming so far is predicted to make rain outside of the rainy season increasingly rare, make the rainy season start about 2 weeks later and end about 2 weeks earlier, and increase the total average annual rainfall by about 20%.

A nice extra rainy winter to give plenty of brush growth then an extra long, hot, and dry period to get it all ready to light right up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wonder how many of these are Kamala Harris convictions.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The inevitable 1862 followed by a 2015 is gonna be brutal

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My brother's place is a winter wonderland right now and in five months it'll be like hell's stuffy attic. Probably intermittently on fire as well.

At least he has a xeriscaped yard, which not only saves a ton of water but is also super easy to maintain (don't really have to prune rocks, after all).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fermun posted:

Well that's where climate change is going to come in and give us a nice big gently caress you! The locked-in warming so far is predicted to make rain outside of the rainy season increasingly rare, make the rainy season start about 2 weeks later and end about 2 weeks earlier, and increase the total average annual rainfall by about 20%.

A nice extra rainy winter to give plenty of brush growth then an extra long, hot, and dry period to get it all ready to light right up.

Honestly if we can even be so lucky to have rainfall at all we should call that a blessing. We are pumping our aquifers dry which in a sane society would be used only for emergency drought conditions, instead it’ll be gone in 20 years and no way to replenish it. A there goes our water supply. If our early 10s drought went on another 3 years we would be so thoroughly hosed. As it is if we really get some hot summers and dry winters for like 5 years in a row we are going to be turbo hosed

The Las Vegas-Phoenix Area is also a ticking time bomb for that reason. It’s getting drier and lake mead has maybe 15 years left tops. Once that drops catastrophically low and given even a 3 year mega drought, the whole area is going to basically have to be evacuated since they don’t have any other sources of water.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Xaris posted:

Honestly if we can even be so lucky to have rainfall at all we should call that a blessing. We are pumping our aquifers dry which in a sane society would be used only for emergency drought conditions, instead it’ll be gone in 20 years and no way to replenish it. A there goes our water supply. If our early 10s drought went on another 3 years we would be so thoroughly hosed. As it is if we really get some hot summers and dry winters for like 5 years in a row we are going to be turbo hosed

The Las Vegas-Phoenix Area is also a ticking time bomb for that reason. It’s getting drier and lake mead has maybe 15 years left tops. Once that drops catastrophically low and given even a 3 year mega drought, the whole area is going to basically have to be evacuated since they don’t have any other sources of water.

This only applies to California: here's an article with a decent summary. More annual rainfall, but constricted into a narrower timeframe leading to worse flooding and worse fires. Weee!

As for everything east of the Rockies, well, I hope you like sand!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

can't wait to see pelosi dustbowl signs show up in oklahoma

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sydin posted:

Not when the only bike trail available runs directly next to the river all the city's stormdrains flow into, which completely floods out the trail for days on end when we get even an inch of rain, let alone two sustained months of it. :sigh:

I mean I could bike up along First Street to work - there are ostensibly painted bike lanes - but I'm not interested in being murdered by traffic on one of the busiest streets in the city. I already had to do it once when I tried to bike last week and found the trail completely flooded out, and I was almost hit on three separate occasions by dipshits who didn't look before trying to turn.

If you're talking about San Jose, which it sounds like, can you take light rail? Then at least you're not driving.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 27, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you're talking about San Jose, which it sounds like, can you take light rail? Then at least you're not driving.

That's what I'm doing right now, actually. :) gently caress going up 87 in rain. Doesn't help the loss of free exercise though. Light rail takes so goddamn long to slog up first street that if I just take it to downtown and bike the rest of the way to work it takes just as long as riding the LR all the way, at least when I can use the trail.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Grand Prize Winner posted:

can't wait to see pelosi dustbowl signs show up in oklahoma

The dustbowl was kinda a sign everyone who lives there is a self destructive idiot.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Can't blame on the ground farmers that their practices weren't sustainable if it were working fine for them until it didn't. Of course it's obvious in hindsight but plenty is.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what if they knew they werent sustainable but kept doing it anyway because they didnt give a poo poo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ChaseSP posted:

Can't blame on the ground farmers that their practices weren't sustainable if it were working fine for them until it didn't. Of course it's obvious in hindsight but plenty is.

Yes. We should never attempt to foresee the consequences of our actions, particularly when we can blame them on the government afterwards.