Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Patrick Spens posted:

My personally held unpopular opinion is that the end of Mass Effect 3 is good. It strips away all the artifice of your choices "mattering" because they determine what cutscene you see, which means that your choice can only matter because it's what you decided to do. Which is the only reason choices in video games matter anyways.

Also good about ME3: The ability to finally get rid of Tali, the most annoying character in the series (closely followed by the rest of her stupid species).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The canon ending to me3 is exiting and uninstalling the game when presented with the 3 choices

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

space-opera-action-rpg sounds so good on paper i just wish someone other than ea bioware would give it a shot and get kinda weird with it

every time someone releases a star wars video game, though, god makes a very cute species of animal go extinct. in that, at least, ea is doing the lord's work and protecting the planet's bounties

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

space-opera-action-rpg sounds so good on paper i just wish someone other than ea bioware would give it a shot and get kinda weird with it

have you heard the good news?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmtmWW2mK1M

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Devils Affricate posted:

Ragnarok Online had an awesome crafting system because it was designed to make people crazy/suicidal

You coudl just sit in town and watch people lose all of their wealth, right there in public, within the span of a few short seconds lol

Can someone please expound upon this? It sounds hilarious.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Does Borderlands even have enemy scaling? I didn't notice any. As far as I got it the whole point of the game is "if at first you don't succeed, go get a bigger gun, come back and try again".

both borderlands have enemy scaling but b1 is linear while b2 is on an exponential curve. in the first game, a lv1 pistol might have like 40 attack, the same gun at lv10 will have 400 attack, and then at lv50 it'll have 2000 attack, and enemy stats are scaled to this progression, so an extremely good lv15 gun will still be valuable even fifteen hours later at like lv35. in the second game, a lv1 pistol might have 40 attack, that same gun will have 40,000 attack at lv10, and by lv50 it'll have like 70,000,000 attack, so your equipment drops off within minutes.

that said, borderlands is completely devoid of compelling storytelling, interesting world building, and competent character writing so if you aren't having fun with your friends, it's an utterly disengaging single player experience.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 13, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

ASenileAnimal posted:

borderlands games are only fun in normal mode. higher difficulties were unfun bullshit with bulletsponge enemies that can oneshot you and theres 30 of them and they have aimbots. also the skill system needs better stuff than +3% pistol damage or whatever boring poo poo you get to pick on levelup.

That's true for most if not all games though. Playing multi hour game with RPG elements on harder difficulty is for no life nerds.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I think wrt Borderlands 2, the second playthrough is the sweet spot. You've got enough skill points to get some really fun skills but you don't really need to grind or fight bullet sponges like in the 3rd playthrough and OP levels.

Alternately just play mania Krieg and you'll never have to worry about guns.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Time_pants posted:

Can someone please expound upon this? It sounds hilarious.

It's been a long time, but off the top of my head it worked like this. Up to a certain point, depending on item rarity, you could upgrade something without any risk. IIRC common items went up to +7, uncommon +6, rare +5 (it wasn't really "rarity"; but for simplicity's sake let's call it that). After that point, adding another +1 would carry a risk of failure, where you'd completely lose the item along with the upgrade materials. Not only that, but with each progressive upgrade level past the safe point, the next failure risk would get even higher. Started at 60% success, then 40%, then like 18%, etc.

So even though the upgraded stats progressed linearly (i.e. the difference between +3 and +4 was the same as the difference between +9 and +10) the chances of getting a weapon to a particular upgrade level progressed logarithmically. It was kind of cool because a blacksmith could make money by buying a few hundred generic weapons from the shop and just attempting to upgrade them all to max level. In bulk you could calculate what your average yield will be and sometimes it would be worth it as long as at least 0.8% of them successfully make it to +10.

The hilarious part was when someone bought a super expensive weapon right at the max safe level and decided to roll the dice by getting it just *one* level higher, into the risky zone. They find a famous blacksmith in town, make sure he has all his buffs (luck and dex helped), a small crowd gathers because this is some serious poo poo... and then it breaks in front of everyone. The crowd laughs, and the customer and blacksmith have a stupid argument about stats and probability.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

that said, borderlands is completely devoid of compelling storytelling, interesting world building, and competent character writing

so a video game, then

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

so a video game, then

:respek:

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah it's mostly the body armor shorted crop cut white guy characters that make my eyes glaze over

not the best example but ey.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

internet celebrity posted:

I think wrt Borderlands 2, the second playthrough is the sweet spot. You've got enough skill points to get some really fun skills but you don't really need to grind or fight bullet sponges like in the 3rd playthrough and OP levels.

Alternately just play mania Krieg and you'll never have to worry about guns.
Krieg or the tank/melee gunzerker or melee ninja.
They got the best voicelines anyways.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I looked at the roster for Overwatch (note I don't really know much of the background. Like if a robot is the soul of a white cowboy or something I don't know that), and see:

30 total heroes

Of those 30, 25 are humans (2 animals 3 robots). Of those 25 humans, 13 are white (6 are white women) which is 52% of the total heroes. White women/men make up 24%/28% of the roster for Overwatch, respectively.

I'm pretty sure none of these people have buzzcuts but I still think it's whitewashed as gently caress which is, I dont know, not really a dying trend so much as just a catering to a specific audience (white american men). So the buzzcut look is just an iteration of a continuing trend of pandering (?) to white gamers. So bet your bottom dollar it'll be back soon!

jokes fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 14, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure nobody ever asked for all these grimacing buzzcut white guys, is the thing. Over a decade ago people were still complaining about how all game protagonists are anonymous space marines or growly white dads and you don't get halfway interesting protagonists like Lara Croft anymore.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jokes posted:

I looked at the roster for Overwatch (note I don't really know much of the background. Like if a robot is the soul of a white cowboy or something I don't know that), and see:

30 total heroes

Of those 30, 25 are humans (2 animals 3 robots). Of those 25 humans, 13 are white (6 are white women) which is 52% of the total heroes. White women/men make up 24%/28% of the roster for Overwatch, respectively.

I'm pretty sure none of these people have buzzcuts but I still think it's whitewashed as gently caress which is, I dont know, not really a dying trend so much as just a catering to a specific audience (white american men). So the buzzcut look is just an iteration of a continuing trend of pandering (?) to white gamers. So bet your bottom dollar it'll be back soon!

What would be an appropriate proportion of white protagonists in your ideal world

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

What would be an appropriate proportion of white protagonists in your ideal world

Just let people upload custom skins. like the good old days.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i don't so much wanna play as a male manly protagonist, but i definitely wanna play as a protagonist that i know for sure 100% has a massive donger

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dong slider when

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just because a character looks like a woman/man doesn't mean that they are.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sebmojo posted:

Dong slider when

did you just not play saints row or something

Rutibex posted:

Just let people upload custom skins. like the good old days.

custom skins these days is fuckin hard. it's not like retexturing JC denton's blockhead face, modern textures are all specially designed to fit weirdly specific shapes, dimensions, and stretching permutations

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

sebmojo posted:

Dong slider when

Did you not play Conan Exiles?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was gonna post a random semi-unpopular opinion that Bastion sucked. Then I realized it only took me like 5 hours and I got it for super cheap, and I already find myself looking back at the better parts of it (even though I probably wouldn't play it again).

Now I'm playing Pyre and it seems pretty sick. I dunno what to think, but I respect modern games that don't waste my time.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

custom skins these days is fuckin hard. it's not like retexturing JC denton's blockhead face, modern textures are all specially designed to fit weirdly specific shapes, dimensions, and stretching permutations

I don't see your point

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

is that Eggman?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Never really seen it as something that mattered. Hell the white dudes in OW are the same ones that have been there since launch. Since then you've gotten brown woman, other brown woman, black guy (who punches everything lol), white lady with metal stick, white lady with gun, robot, hamster in a robot, and black guy (with gun). The game is still trash. But I guess it's good that it's at least diverse in its trashiness?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

sebmojo posted:

Uh less than 52% if they're going for a global and diverse setting/theme lol

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

jokes posted:

Uh less than 52% if they're going for a global and diverse setting/theme lol

I would be pretty sweet if half of video game protagonists were specifically either Indian or Chinese

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

jokes posted:

30 total heroes

I personally don't think having "a lot of ethnicities" in a game makes it better in any way, but Overwatch has gone out of its way to include a lot of different nationalities, ethnicities and genders in the game. From Swedish to Brazilian to Indian, African, Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc

And they all look goofy as hell which I like

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 14, 2019

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
heros of might and magic

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Having more ethnicities doesn't make a game better, it just means it probably pushes against the overbearing white people focus in media. Overwatch came to mind when thinking about that since people applaud it for its inclusivity but it's not really outside of the trend of white focus.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

I personally don't think having "a lot of ethnicities" in a game makes it better in any way, but Overwatch has gone out of its way to include a lot of different nationalities, ethnicities and genders in the game. From Swedish to Brazilian to Indian, African, Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc

I guess Street Fighter 2 was ahead of the curve

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

Only one hamster? That's pretty loving racist imo.

Glad to see they added the girl from Horizon Zero Dawn.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
weird that media made in a country that's over 3/4 white has a lot of white people in it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rutibex posted:

I guess Street Fighter 2 was ahead of the curve

It really was. Though I've met more than one person who thought Ryu was white.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Game casts like that are never about proportionally weighting the racial makeup lol. The first thing they do is get one person per Recognizable Geographic Area, then go from there.

For Overwatch, Mercy + Tracer isn't "two white girls", it's "Britain and Germany". It's the same thing for Mei, the katana guy, and Diva. Obviously the Chinese population dwarfs both the Japanese and Korean ones. But they aren't weighing population, they're just tagging in one representative from each country.

If a country has more than one recognizable stereotype culture group then they might get extra representatives. The US can field "the gruff soldier", "the urban hip guy", and "the western cowboy" in the same game even though one of those is comically anachronistic. It's what people recognize. Meanwhile Japan is forever limited to "the samurai" and maaaaaybe "Robot Guy" depending on setting, because outsiders won't recognize much else. Nobody from outside China knows or cares about the differences within China, so despite having the highest population on the planet, so they only ever need one character lol.

Basically you get one character per identifiable stereotype of a people/place. It has absolutely nothing to do with real population makeup.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The game is really woke for having multiple handicapped characters in their titular international supersoldier organization.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just make them all eyebot

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

The US can field "the gruff soldier", "the urban hip guy", and "the western cowboy" in the same game even though one of those is comically anachronistic.

you forgot "native american wearing feathers and head dress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

you forgot "native american wearing feathers and head dress"

And where's the construction worker?!