Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Falling in love with the characters i write into my romance stories at writing club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

empty sea posted:

loving exactly. If you wanna gross him out/make him puke put some drat vinegar in there. Don't waste the vodka. Although I hate puke so I'd never do a "prank" likely to make anyone puke because that poo poo's nasty.

Also on the doctor dad, I have met a ton of little kids who are so excited and enthused to be veterinarians one day and while we try not to stomp on their dreams, every vet I know would rather be doing another job. Hell every tech I know would rather be doing something else. I know human medicine pays better but I doubt the soul-crushing reality of it is any less heavy.

Don't let your kids become veterinarians. People are stupid and cruel and animals pay the price every drat day. The money isn't worth it, unless you specialize and even then it's like you maaaayyybe break close to even. I'd guess human doctors have it just a bit better, but not by much. The tiny sliver of goodness is we get to cuddle cute puppies and kittens sometimes.

Medicine is hard unless you heavily specialize and it sounds like this girl would have a poo poo time of that. It would be better if he had just taken her to his clinic for a while and let her see the full mental and physical load of it instead of making GBS threads on her dreams without evidence of how crappy the day to day grind is.

But that would take, like, parenting or something.

I don't know dude I"ve met a lot of doctors who were incompetent and some who were downright morons. It's not as impossible as people make it out to be, as long as this girl is okay with being a mediocre doctor she should keep at it. Being willing to work hard is a massive part of that equation too, and she's already go that.

I think her stuck-up mom/dad (don't care enough to check which) doesn't want a GP in the family she wants like, a spinal surgeon who only works on celebrities and went to the best school. It's okay to not be that kind of doctor

Power Khan posted:

At best, it's going to be terrible, terrible hard work against all odds to keep it all together (and their relationship), and it seems he doesn't want to chain himself to somebody who is going to blindly drown herself. There's a difference between doing the right and noble thing and sinking yourself.

Not if you're a captain who just accidentally crashed his ship

Barudak posted:

Get every mother loving dollar out of the dude and ignore anybody telling you otherwise.

Dude's paying 50 bucks a month lmao. I spend more to keep my dog cared for

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for demanding that my girlfriends gymnastics routine be less "sexy?"

I truly want an honest opinion so I'm going to include all details I can w/in char limit, even ones that aren't flattering to me.

I've been dating my GF for about a month. honestly I feel much stronger about her than she does me, but I'm hoping she comes around. She is on our university gymnastics team and is an incredible athlete. I went to her meet this afternoon and was freaking shocked to see how much of her floor routine had "sexual" elements. She did her routine to "p'on da replay" and as an example she crawled on all fours, she shook her rear end, she did this thing where she went up and down her body with her finger (including her breasts) and then acted like her finger was sizzling. And during all this, her teammates cheered. I was blown away that this sort of sexuality was not only allowed but encouraged.

After the meet I told her I didn't think she should do that sort of stuff. She told me that it was normal for gymnastics and that her routine had been worked out for years with coaches and choreographers. I told her it was normal for strippers who danced for dollar bills. She told me I didn't get it. I told her that I didn't understand what was to get, I was her boyfriend and it was my job to look out for her. She told me "you are literally and rear end in a top hat and way overstepping your bounds!" I told her that I didn't want to fight and she said it was too late. So instead of her going on a romantic date I had planned, she decided to hang out with her teammates. I am so upset because I was counting on seeing her tonight.

Based on what she said, am I the rear end in a top hat for thinking her routine should be less sexy and telling her so?

Nice job punching yourself in your own dick, idiot

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
AITA for dropping the "We're Not Having Kids, Now Stop Bringing It Up" bomb on my MIL?

quote:

My husband and I don't want kids. My MIL is big into family in the traditional sense. She has been pushy with us about having kids since we got married. Literally the week after we got engaged, she started asking.

My husband has always changed the subject, and has even told her that it's really none of her business. Every time we see her, she asks. Everything we do is built around the idea of use having kids. 3 years into our marriage, my husband said "We might not even have kids" and MIL would nothear it. At year 4, husband had a vasectomy and I had a tubal.

So this weekend we were all at their home enjoying some BBQ and drinks and everything. When I get up to grab a beer, my MIL asks me if maybe I should drink water instead, because wink wink nudge nudge, you never know.

I was annoyed by this and said "There's really no chance."

MIL, all wide-grin, said, "Oh come on! It's time for you two to finally get serious! Put down the beer and tell us when we can finally expect you two to finally make your family official!"

I said "We've been official for about 5 years now, MIL," and drink the beer. Husband laughs with me.

MIL gets more annoyed and says "Well, you won't be REAL (Lastnames) until you bless us with babies!"

Husband said, "Mom, enough." MIL pushed again. Husband repeated.

After about fifteen minutes of the usual comments, I finally snapped and said "MIL, Husband got snipped. I had my tubes tied. We're not having kids. You need to stop bringing it up. Period."

Well, I thought I started WWIII. She started crying and stormed off. Family looked at us with disgust and stormed off to comfort her. We left. Party kinda ended. The social media bullshit started shortly after. Vague posts, links about how motherhood is a woman's greatest calling, listicles about how unhappy childless women are, etc. Some meme about how "I guess I wasn't a good enough mother and won't be graduating to grandmother." It's obnoxious to the point that I just muted all of them.

My MIL finally called me this morning and told me that she was willing to put this all behind us if Husband and I came over and listened to her reasons that we really "need" to have kids. I told her no, that we are tired of her pushing this on us, and then she said "Well then, I guess you two aren't prepared to be REAL (Lastname)s. I'd like a refund for what we paid for the wedding." (It wasn't that much. It was like $400 for the rehearsal dinner.)

I hung up on her. When recounting this to my friends, a few of them said that I was the rear end in a top hat here for dropping it like that. But I don't think she was ever going to drop it if I didn't finally make a serious, direct comment about it. So AITA?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Daughter in law Petra

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

JaneError posted:

AITA for dropping the "We're Not Having Kids, Now Stop Bringing It Up" bomb on my MIL?

Hahaha no. :sever: from anyone who tries to pressure you into having kids.

Content!
Now that we're separating, I [27F] feel like I should warn my in-laws that my husband [28M] invades their privacy? If yes, how should I phrase it to not cause issues?

quote:

My husband's family is tight and they spend a LOT of time together.

So my husband does three things that violates their privacy imho:

-walks into their room (whether they are there or not) (daily)

-goes through their stuff (including closets/drawers but he does not read notes or cards etc.) (infrequently)

-masturbates in their bedrooms (daily)

They're not aware of the latter two. I have talked about it with my husband for the past 3 years. The past few months I explicitly told him to stop doing it.

I tried to stop him today when he was going through the sister-in-law's drawers. He's been upfront and transparent recently and made it clear that he sees no issue with it, because "they don't live here anymore", so he can go through the closets/drawers and masturbate in their rooms because it's not their stuff or their room anymore and that he hasn't been masturbating in their parents' room. So everyone has moved out but they all spend several nights a week at their parents', while my husband is there daily.

I don't think he'll ever get caught. I know about it because my husband would send me dirty pics from their room or try to have sex with me in their rooms and then got told more details when I pushed back on it.

Now that I'm getting out, I'd like to give them a heads up.

However, there's reason to not say anything.

Ignorance is bliss. He's been doing this forever without issue & he's careful enough (work hours & advance notice folks will come over to his parents & if someone arrives unexpectedly, plenty of time to leave the room because the rooms are on the third floor of the house). Maybe it's an "open secret" because eh, I've sometimes cleaned up forgotten tissue or spillage after him, so there must have been hints before I came around as well?

I don't know. I'd feel guilty for not saying anything, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

It's not a big issue. I've got therapy and other support for the big challenges on separating from my husband, turning to Reddit on how to handle the small questions. Like this one!

TL;DR husband enters siblings' rooms, goes through their stuff, masturbates in their rooms. Is this not my business or should I let them know?

Thank you!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
he has a box of people's faces in the attic or cellar

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Baronjutter posted:

Mental illness is a hell of a thing. My friend's ex was always an rear end in a top hat and always presumed to have some sort of mild mental illness that contributed to him being such a controlling weirdo. But he's now suddenly decided the government has done something to him that has changed and moved the organs in his body and fluoride is involved. Apparently the belief that your organs are in the wrong spot or have been tampered with is like a textbook symptom of something fairly specific.

Richard Chase, the vampire of Sacramento suffered from that particular delusion. It was one of the things that lead him to kill people and consume their blood and organs. What I'm trying to say is you should start locking your windows at night

JaneError posted:

Lastname is an AWFUL family name anyways. What kind of horrible self-referential meme humor leaves people with a name like that?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

JaneError posted:

Oof.this reminds me of what happened with my cousin. She had a mom similar to this one except she genuinely did want to have kids, it's just my aunt was terrible and pushy. My cousin had a tumor the size of a football removed, along with an ovary, and while she is recovering and trying to accept the reality that she may never have kids biologically her mom tells her she bought her a crib and is asking the oncologist when she can start trying to have babies again. Cousin does 3 rounds of IVF to the tune of 30 grand and still doesn't get pregnant, loses the other ovary and later fost-adopts.

Cousin likes kids but she's actually terrible with them, and the whole time her mom has been egging her on and pressuring her to have kids.

So even people that want to have kids (but maybe are in a better mental and financial state ten years from now) can have parents that push them about it.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

JaneError posted:

Should have just said she's barren and let the mother freak out about being rude.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jobson groeth posted:

Should have just said she's barren and let the mother freak out about being rude.

lol as if that would have happened and she wouldn't have launched into talks about IVF and poo poo

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, launching into a huge crying fit about how you've tried for so long and how hard it's been to keep a brave face would be the power move for most MILs, but this one seems monomaniacal enough that she'd blast past "pressure you about IVF" and go straight to "kidnap children from an eastern European orphanage and present them to you with birth certificates pre-filled out with her preferred grandbaby names"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm glad two of my siblings have so far produced three grandchildren for my parents. They keep that baby train coming, Dr. FAUXTON and I can keep in being tremendous banker-doctor DINKs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I miss the days when a prank was just a can full of spring-loaded toy snakes instead of making people think they'd being poisoned or accusing them of pedophilia

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

lol as if that would have happened and she wouldn't have launched into talks about IVF and poo poo

At least then you'd get to extort her for cash.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, launching into a huge crying fit about how you've tried for so long and how hard it's been to keep a brave face would be the power move for most MILs, but this one seems monomaniacal enough that she'd blast past "pressure you about IVF" and go straight to "kidnap children from an eastern European orphanage and present them to you with birth certificates pre-filled out with her preferred grandbaby names"

Nah, this type of MIL is looking for her own flesh and blood to carry on the FAMILY NAME.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sagebrush posted:

I miss the days when a prank was just a can full of spring-loaded toy snakes instead of making people think they'd being poisoned or accusing them of pedophilia

Ah the whoopee cushion days of yore

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Sagebrush posted:

1950: spring-loaded snakes in a can-o’-nuts
2019: fake pedophilia
2075: literally framing your friend for a quadruple sex murder

only it’s being live-streamed on twitch or whatever the gently caress

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dazerbeams posted:

Nah, this type of MIL is looking for her own flesh and blood to carry on the FAMILY NAME.

The kidnapped Bulgarian toddlers are just practice for when the IVF takes, obvs

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

areyoucontagious posted:

Don't forget the ever-hilarious japes involved in swatting

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

areyoucontagious posted:

2150: spring-loaded actual snake in a can of nuts as we all scavenge the postapocalyptic wasteland together

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Incoherence posted:

I'm not usually caught up with this thread, so here's a guess-the-hobby post.

Imagine blowing up your marriage for that.

Sounds to me like they're just growing apart. If neither has an interest in rekindling things, it's either dead or they grow old and resentful together.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for not doing anything on my boyfriend's birthday?

quote:

My birthday was last November I'd call it an alright one. I spent time with my family, my friends took me out, I had a lovely time except for one thing: my boyfriend did nothing for me. I got a happy birthday text but other than that no presents or plans of any kind. This did bother me so I brought it up with him and he told me birthdays aren't his thing, he doesn't even celibrate his own. I was disappointed but accepted that that's just the kind of guy he is, it's not like I had a bad birthday anyway. I made a metal note that he doesn't do birthdays left it at that. I feel the need to point out that this is a newish relationship, we've been together since last summer so we're still learning little things like that about eachother.

Fast forward to last weekend and Saturday was my boyfriend's birthday. We had a quiet night in, watched a movie, ordered take out and hung out. We were cuddling when he asked me what I got for him. I was surprised, said I didn't get anything and reminded of the conversation we had after my birthday. He pouted about it and asked why I didn't bother doing anything. I reminded him that he did nothing for mine, but he insisted it was different because I'm, in his words, "A birthday person". This honestly made me mad because this seems like a bullshit double standard. He does nothing for my birthday and that's okay, I do nothing for his and that's not okay? Seems like nonsense to me.

So my question here today is am I the rear end in a top hat here? My boyfriend insists I am but I really don't think so.

Commenter posted:

NTA - I'm surprised you even need to ask. This is hilarious.

OP posted:

Haha he's actually the one who wanted to post this, he was so sure he was right and I was wrong. I'm gonna bask in the I told you so's so hard.

:owned:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Sounds to me like they're just growing apart. If neither has an interest in rekindling things, it's either dead or they grow old and resentful together.

"Just growing apart" is what happens when you are lazy and complacent about your marriage and your partner. On the course of a lifetime together people are going to grow and change. You can either do it together and intentionally or do it separately and potentially find yourself lying next to someone you don't recognize anymore in 20 years.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

FAUXTON posted:

I'm glad two of my siblings have so far produced three grandchildren for my parents. They keep that baby train coming, Dr. FAUXTON and I can keep in being tremendous banker-doctor DINKs.

Hi five fellow living large DINKs

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
drat i'm gonna use 'lets post this on reddit' for every fight i have with anybody

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

christmas boots posted:

Even in the legal states you're still not supposed to take it across state lines. Like legally I'm not allowed to take weed from Washington to Oregon or vice versa despite it being legal in both states.

I don't know if that ever gets enforced though.

that's a CYA so people don't just shipping weed to idaho or some poo poo (which chuds would sue over to bring the feds in to shut it all down)

i mean unless you got busted with the other state's receipt wrapped around it or you got some state-exclusive strand, they wouldn't be able to prove it anyways

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Is it normal and healthy for a person to become so engrossed in a hobby that personal relationships lose their luster? Sounds kind of crazy to me.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

therobit posted:

"Just growing apart" is what happens when you are lazy and complacent about your marriage and your partner. On the course of a lifetime together people are going to grow and change. You can either do it together and intentionally or do it separately and potentially find yourself lying next to someone you don't recognize anymore in 20 years.

That's true enough.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm pregnant, and my [28F] parents [55F, 60M] have no respect for my choices as a new parent. I don't know how to manage them.

quote:

So I never thought my pregnancy would be this stressful due to my own parents. I'm currently 31 weeks along, so baby is coming in the next few months.

To summarize, my mom and dad are divorced. My dad remarried some years ago; his wife has 3 kids, and all 3 of those kids have their own children now, so he is around tiny kids a lot at the moment. My mom has been dating a guy for a few years but never remarried. I have separate issues with both of them in regards to my baby, but they are both just... not... respecting my requests or decisions or anything. They act like they know better. This is their first grandchild, and I am their only child. They live 7 hours away by car.

I am extremely close with both parents and have good relationships with both of them. We talk on the phone several times a week. Before anyone suggests it, no, I'm not going no contact with either parent over this. It's out of the question.

With my mom.... She's very excited for the baby. Overly excited. Grandma-nightmare territory. She's spent hundreds (maybe thousands?) of dollars on the baby and my baby shower that is happening in a few weeks. The baby shower only has around 10 people coming, but she's going nuts buying things for it even though I keep asking her to keep it small and personal. I didn't want a big baby shower. Whatever. I'm willing to let it slide. She likes talking about the baby. Anytime I learn new information about labor or taking care of our baby and talk to her about it, she tends to scoff and not take it seriously. She seems to think her 30 year old information > anything I learn now. She makes condescending comments like, "It's a miracle you survived!" (Don't even get me started on her lovely comments about by choice of baby names)

She's told me many old wive's tales about pregnant/babies that I have asked my doctors about and was told they are false. Relaying this information to her results in scoffing about how my doctors are wrong. My mom is planning on driving to see me when I go into labor, which I am fine with, as I established early on she is not coming in the delivery room and she has accepted this. But she wants to 'come help'. I'm fine with that. I talked to her last night about how she can help - cooking, maybe, or just helping me clean a bit, and she acted disinterested and said, "Cook? What am I going to cook? Aren't you making freezer meals?" I don't know what she's thinking is going to happen when she's here after the birth to 'help'.

My dad is going to come visit a few weeks after the baby is born, once my mom is gone (they are not on speaking terms). He loves a certain restaurant in my city, and he suggested we go out to said restaurant... 2 weeks after the birth of my baby. I told him I don't know if we can manage that, and he was pretty pushy/insistent that my baby "needs exposure to germs" and that it will be fine if we go. I told him I'm concerned for the other patrons, as I don't want their experience ruined by a screaming baby. I left it at "we will see". His wife is a smoker, and I told him if she comes with him to see the newborn, I need her to practice some safe hygiene to ensure the second hand smoke does not get on my newborn. He said he would talk to her about it, but I feel like she's more headstrong and will put up a fuss. His wife has also criticized me during my pregnancy because I am avoiding hot baths, as I heard raising your body temperature can be very bad for baby, and I was told that she bathed during pregnancy and her 3 kids turned out just fine! (Well, no, they didn't actually, but that's another post entirely.)

My biggest issue with BOTH parents... I can't even believe I'm typing this.... VACCINES. I have begged both of them to please make sure they are up to date on their vaccines due to the measles scare. I have asked them to please get a flu shot this fall if they are going to visit during flu season. They have both argued with me on this. My mom is insistent she's just fine, she's never had a flu shot in her life, and she had measles as a kid so she's immune anyway.... OK fine. Get your flu shot. My dad? Oh god, he's right on the anti-vax BS, even telling me that "children die from getting vaccines every year". He's anti-doctor and anti-vax. I'm pretty sure he had vaccines as a child, but I don't know which ones. ALSO his step kids I mentioned earlier, you know how they all have little ones? Well, a few of those kids are not vaccinated. The kids are not supposed to be visiting my newborn, but it makes me all the more paranoid about my dad and his wife being hygienic and safe to be around my baby.

I've tried and tried to talk to them about these things. I feel like I'm getting railroaded. Honestly it's causing me so much stress, I feel like crying, I feel like I'm going to be a mom soon and I have no control over the situation so therefore I'm going to be a poo poo mom. When my husband and I took a prenatal course, they asked what our biggest fears as parents are (we were separated, dads went to one room). When I saw the list on the board, I had contributed "vaccines/safety", and I knew immediately which one my husband had contributed - "managing family/friends". Because they have been the biggest cause of stress and anxiety during this whole pregnancy.

I seriously just don't know what to do anymore. Short of putting down my foot and saying, "You're not coming to see the baby unless you get this flu vaccine in the fall" which just cause MORE DRAMA that I don't have the capacity to deal with right now. I have a freaking newborn on the way. And the utter disrespect for my choices as a parent.... I feel like they don't view me as a parent or respect me as a person who will soon be responsible for a baby. I don't know how to talk to them about this. I feel like I've tried wording it different ways, I've tried kindness and tough love, and I don't know what the hell else I can do with them. I love my parents. I won't cut them off from their grandbaby. But I need them to listen to me and respect my choices. How do I get this point across???

tl;dr Parents have no respect for me as a new parent, completely ignoring my requests regarding their visiting the newborn. Have attempted to talk to them about it in the past, resulting in resistance/arguing. How do I get it through their skulls that I need them to do what I say because it's MY BABY?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I thought the parents were normal until the anti vax stuff. At that point, you just tell them either they show a recording for vaccination or they don't see the kid.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Taking this story at face value, I fail to see how she's a (wo)manbaby? She gives her girlfriend attention when they're both at home, and when she's at home alone she enjoys her harmless hobbies? :shrug:

Consuming media is not a hobby. And this stinks of unreliable narrator (but doesn't it require it to still be a problem).

Yawgmoth posted:

It's currently very trendy on SA to hate people who like anime at all and poo poo on them in all aspects of life for daring to enjoy anything.

I'm not commenting on "liking anime". Consuming media is not a hobby. It's sitting on your rear end. Furthermore I will judge you for your media choices, but that isn't the point I'm making here. Consuming various media types as your sole "hobby" is not a hot take. It's objectively sad and unhealthy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don’t see the problem with referring to women as manchildren; calling a man a manchild already degenders him so there’s nothing stopping a woman from being one too

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Motronic posted:

Consuming media is not a hobby. And this stinks of unreliable narrator (but doesn't it require it to still be a problem).

I'm not sure whether to ask why this stinks of unreliable narrator or to ask why even if this is taken at face value, enjoying playing video games and watching anime is a problem.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

that's a CYA so people don't just shipping weed to idaho or some poo poo (which chuds would sue over to bring the feds in to shut it all down)

i mean unless you got busted with the other state's receipt wrapped around it or you got some state-exclusive strand, they wouldn't be able to prove it anyways

Anyone dumb enough to intentionally open themselves up to federal drug prosecution in the US is a goddamn idiot. They don't -have- to prove it, they can bankrupt you with trying to defend yourself in an out of state court and spending the rest of your life getting the old 'lift and separate' at every TSA checkpoint.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm not sure whether to ask why this stinks of unreliable narrator or to ask why even if this is taken at face value, enjoying playing video games and watching anime is a problem.

It's not a problem, unless you're overindulging. It's also not a hobby

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Motronic posted:

Consuming media is not a hobby. It's sitting on your rear end. Furthermore I will judge you for your media choices, but that isn't the point I'm making here. Consuming various media types as your sole "hobby" is not a hot take. It's objectively sad and unhealthy.
Serious question: Do you also apply this to reading?

I ask because although it's fair that passively consuming media isn't really a hobby, it never seems to be applied to people who read as their 'hobby'. If I read a book for three hours that's sitting on my rear end as much as if I was staring at a monitor for that long. Sure, one is generally more intellectually stimulating than the other, but they're both sitting on your rear end consuming media.

(For what it's worth I don't give a poo poo if someone decides their hobby is watching anime, reading Mark Twain, collecting stamps, journaling about the changes in their lawn over time, or building a shed from scratch every week as long as they're managing their time well and getting their responsibilities taken care of. I might think their choice of hobby is weird/dumb but I generally can't find it in me to give that much of a poo poo.)

SirSamVimes posted:

Also this. Oh no, a 26 year old enjoys typical 20something things. This clearly means nothing she says is reliable, because :confused:.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Serious question: Do you also apply this to reading?

Consuming media is a pastime, books included. If you read books and then use the material to create something (fan fiction, reviews, discussion, a collection), the thing you're creating is your hobby.

Haifisch posted:

Also this. Oh no, a 26 year old enjoys typical 20something things. This clearly means nothing she says is reliable, because :confused:.

People who overindulge in things usually go to great lengths to minimise the amount of time and energy they put into that thing, it wouldn't be a big stretch to assume she watches more anime/plays more games than she lets on.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

bell jar posted:

People who overindulge in things usually go to great lengths to minimise the amount of time and energy they put into that thing, it wouldn't be a big stretch to assume she watches more anime/plays more games than she lets on.

Especially when she knows consuming that media will make people call her a man(child), I expect

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Are you people seriously arguing about what makes a REAL hobby the same way people complain about what REAL sports are?

Stolen hobby valor!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

bell jar posted:

Pretty much what I thought, but if the GF stonewalls her all night because she spotted her playing mindrotting videogames or watching TV, that's pretty stupid.