Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gatts posted:

The NFL is modern day slave trade. And I agree to stop idolizing sports.

That's college football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

twice burned ice posted:

Please elaborate. NFL players are compensated for their labor, have freedom of movement, and are represented by a player's union.

I get (and agree with) the argument that collegiate sports is modern indentured servitude, but calling the NFL slave trade seems over-the-top

To me the NFL is much more akin to a modern gladiatorial league, since the combatants live extravagant, popular, and short lives.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

Since at least one of you is saying they live near a golf course, I really want to know how often someone there has to replace windows.

My Fiancee's parents/sister (they're not golfers for what it's worth) live across the street from the greens of one of those in-development golf courses. As far as I know they've never had problems with stray golfballs. This may just be the angle, other houses might get it worse if they're like just behind the hole or something. But it is kind of annoying, they built the entire development without sidewalks and the greens/golf cart paths are off limits.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gort posted:

I thought that was prison

Prison is too

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

twice burned ice posted:

Do you think milk toast is a breakfast item or something?

Also it's milquetoast

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

The marketing manager I hired at the mobile game company I was at (2010-2016) was a 20-something who nailed a job at "Taylor Made Golf" and basically gets paid to play, interview players and talk about their stuff.

I don't play golf but I have to say that is a heck of a job.

One of the kids i used to play with grew up to be an excellent golfer. Played in the Masters and US Open last year and ended up tied for best amateur in the latter.

He just got a job as a "salesman" for six figures a year. He doesn't have to sell poo poo. His job is to play golf and impress the rich fucks with his game while his boss schmoozes them.

Critical fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 4, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shifty Pony posted:

It largely is. Houses in course communities are plummeting in value as boomers move out to assisted living or die and no younger people want to buy a place where you can't walk to anything and you have to pay an assload to the HOA for course upkeep.

https://twitter.com/samsykesswears/status/1083759258989060096

Let's take a quick peep, and use a golf course in Phoenix I know of in an old neighborhood that failed. Here's is a random example from one of the neighborhoods that backed up to the course on Zillow:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12846-S-45th-St-Phoenix-AZ-85044/8151024_zpid/

First off just take a look at the satellite view there. That course has been closed, I think over five years now and just look at what happened when it did:

http://www.ahwatukee.com/news/article_5b1ecc60-2f17-11e9-bf6c-77d0755fe3e7.html

But yeah, check this blurb from Zillow:

quote:

The Zestimate for this house is $268,149, which has decreased by $8,972 in the last 30 days. The Rent Zestimate for this home is $1,550/mo, which has decreased by $45/mo in the last 30 days.

That's the last 30 days of course but let's look at another one with some history behind it:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4440-E-Shomi-St-Phoenix-AZ-85044/8150954_zpid/

The price history here has it selling at the top of the market in 2006, when the course was open, for $275k, and selling again eight years later in 2014 (when prices had recovered already quite a bit from 2010 lows) for only $180k when the course had closed. Mind you, it wasn't the derelict you see today back then and at that time there was still hope the course would reopen. That hope is long gone.

This one's just for funsies:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4402-E-Shomi-St-Phoenix-AZ-85044/8150944_zpid/

Check out THIS deluded son of a bitch! Give them credit, lots of pictures showing the "view" this house has! But check the price history, it last sold for $219k 3 years after the course closed, a price drop of nearly $20k off the original asking price. And this was when the housing market was very robust again. Now he wants $280K not more than 3 years later? Hah!

Nothing makes whatever Millennial I have in me happier when these old bougie Boomer fake "wealth" status symbols eats poo poo. gently caress golf, gently caress golf courses and gently caress assholes who think paying extra for the privilege of overlooking a bunch of morons whacking a tiny little ball with a fancy crooked stick on manicured grass is smart investing. No tears shed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lol

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1113845598887776256?s=21

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

twice burned ice posted:

Please elaborate. NFL players are compensated for their labor, have freedom of movement, and are represented by a player's union.

I get (and agree with) the argument that collegiate sports is modern indentured servitude, but calling the NFL a modern slave trade seems over-the-top

It is over the top and I’m exaggerating. But everything I see during the NFL draft, ownership and treatment of Colin Kap and that long denial of concussions, it just strikes me.

Like have you ever read the scouting reports? Black athletes are always called freaks, beasts, as if they’re animalistic and it’s always the white players who have leadership skills while black athletes have attitude problems or are questioned, and then the physical examinations and descriptions. So many dog whistles. It strikes me as evaluating slaves worth. And let’s not even get to some of the questions asked of players

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Gatts posted:

It is over the top and I’m exaggerating. But everything I see during the NFL draft, ownership and treatment of Colin Kap and that long denial of concussions, it just strikes me.

Like have you ever read the scouting reports? Black athletes are always called freaks, beasts, as if they’re animalistic and it’s always the white players who have leadership skills while black athletes have attitude problems or are questioned, and then the physical examinations and descriptions. So many dog whistles. It strikes me as evaluating slaves worth. And let’s not even get to some of the questions asked of players

I absolutely agree that there's a very telling disparity in the words used to talk about white athletes and athletes of color, but I don't think it's a problem that's unique to the NFL

BonoMan posted:

Also it's milquetoast

Yes that was the point of the post

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

BonoMan posted:

twice burned ice posted:

Do you think milk toast is a breakfast item or something?
Also it's milquetoast

Milk Toast is a real breakfast item. It is very bland.

Milquetoast is a cartoon character named after the breakfast item for being bland.

It has now turned into an adjective for being bland.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ConnieSchultz/status/1113843749141057537

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tune in next time for the hottest gameshow, "Shutdown or Syria Withdrawl!:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope Buttigieg doesn't end up getting any traction because he's centrist trash

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm not going to bother to watch the video, but apparently it's of immigrants getting through a barrier.

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1113832897323122688

And this is supposed to garner support for more barrier...

Unsurprisingly there are hundreds of comments along the lines of "this is literally an example of walls doing nothing to stop illegal immigration" and "if you caught them on camera doesn't that prove general security measures, such as cameras, are more effective than a wall anyway"

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Gatts posted:

I'm not going to claim that the rich white owners of the teams aren't racist, because of course they are. They're rich and white. But the reason why they're evaluating players based on their physical characteristics is because they're athletes. They're being paid tens of millions of dollars for their physical prowess.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 4, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

twice burned ice posted:

Yes that was the point of the post

But as 7c pointed out, it actually *is* a breakfast item!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1113806696097505281

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

twice burned ice posted:

I get (and agree with) the argument that collegiate sports is modern indentured servitude, but calling the NFL a modern slave trade seems over-the-top

You should read NFL Draft/combine assessments of players.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you want to equate sports and slavery, start with the sports league that forbids its players from accepting compensation in the first place (NCAA).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Xombie posted:

I'm not going to claim that the rich white owners of the teams aren't racist, because of course they are. They're rich and white. But the reason why they're evaluating players based on their physical characteristics is because they're athletes. They're being paid tens of millions of dollars for their physical prowess.

It’s the descriptions combined with the element of racism and racist white owners, just strikes me as evaluating a slave to see what kind of field hand they’d be but yes there’s a point where arm length and hand size matters in playing.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

President dumb, so what?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's only one organ whose size matters in footbaw, The Human Spirit

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Gatts posted:

It’s the descriptions combined with the element of racism and racist white owners, just strikes me as evaluating a slave to see what kind of field hand they’d be but yes there’s a point where arm length and hand size matters in playing.

The words "freak" and "beast" are constantly used for white linebackers, too. 10 seconds of googling the first two that came to mind:

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/08/bengals-on-joey-bosa-a-freak-i-think-thats-probably-the-unanimous-term-for-him/

http://www.startribune.com/wayzata-s-james-laurinaitis-recently-retired-from-nfl-honored-to-join-big-ten-network/436353173/

Whereas "leadership" is used to describe quarterbacks, universally:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-draft-former-pro-bowl-cornerback-believes-dwayne-haskins-is-the-real-deal/

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

There's only one organ whose size matters in footbaw, The Human Spirit

You mean GRIT

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Literally "NO COLLUSION (because we were too dumb to be in on it and were already doing exactly what they wanted)"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Xombie posted:

The words "freak" and "beast" are constantly used for white linebackers, too. 10 seconds of googling the first two that came to mind:

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/08/bengals-on-joey-bosa-a-freak-i-think-thats-probably-the-unanimous-term-for-him/

http://www.startribune.com/wayzata-s-james-laurinaitis-recently-retired-from-nfl-honored-to-join-big-ten-network/436353173/

"This thing is very racist therefore it is slavery" also isn't a coherent thought.

Gatts posted:

Yeah but then the players could just not join the NFL if they wished, you're focusing on the wrong parts here

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sports are designed to get people to value physical attributes above mental and emotional ones, and are thus fundamentally dehumanizing and contribute to a culture that glorifies violence.

ban them. all of them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Sports are designed to get people to value physical attributes above mental and emotional ones, and are thus fundamentally dehumanizing and contribute to a culture that glories violence.

ban them. all of them.

If we banned all sports and instituted national debate league instead you'd still be terrible at it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Xombie posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen actual studies on term frequency as related to athlete skin color, and they found certain terms were much, much more likely to be used by commentators based on race.

Sports are designed to get people to value physical attributes above mental and emotional ones, and are thus fundamentally dehumanizing and contribute to a culture that glorifies violence.

ban them. all of them.
Says the person lacking all three

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
yea, all that glorification of violence in soccer and basketball and tennis

running track makes you beat your children

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Angry_Ed posted:

If we banned all sports and instituted national debate league instead you'd still be terrible at it.

Debating empowers and emboldens fascists, so that's a bad idea too.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

ban them. all of them.

Cool down, nerd. Sports are fun. Professional ones, we can talk about.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ban them. all of them.

But one of the all time favorite sports stories is the underdog who battles against his or her disadvantages and to be champion.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ban them. all of them.

Colleges are now giving scholarships to e-sports (competitive video gaming) players. UC-Irvine has even built an arena for this.

https://esports.uci.edu/arena/

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KickerOfMice posted:

Cool down, nerd. Sports are fun. Professional ones, we can talk about.

Why do you support children ritually breaking their bones for their parents' entertainment?

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Xombie posted:

There is definitely a discrepancy in how we (here meaning scouts, broadcasters, and fans as a collective) talk about white athletes vs. athletes of color. I mean, this just happened the other day. When the baseball threads in SAS were more popular, there was a project running to compile broadcasters using these kinds of subconscious biases when talking about different players. I think it might have been for the OP's masters thesis, but I might not be remembering correctly.

e: for those who maybe don't follow baseball as closely, Herrera and Gardner have very similar skillsets, but one is white and the other is Venezuelan.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Debating empowers and emboldens fascists, so that's a bad idea too.

Hasn't stopped you thus far even though everyone wishes you would.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Why do you support children ritually breaking their bones for their parents' entertainment?

I broke plenty of bones in pursuit of my own entertainment tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1113852935065280512