Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

areyoucontagious posted:

Right? Like yeah in the current situation he’s being weird and honestly it’s weird to have that board up but given their ages it’s just kids being dumb college kids. Saying “you’re missing some pins, let’s go gently caress in Honduras” is a win-win

i dont think hes being weird i think its a reasonable reaction to the situation and its weird and gross to have a sex tourism map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gone Fashing posted:

i dont think hes being weird i think its a reasonable reaction to the situation and its weird and gross to have a sex tourism map

Yeah I don’t think he’s being weird. Like it’s fine people have past sexual relationships but to have it kinda in your face like that is weird and not healthy for the relationship.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

CodfishCartographer posted:

I mean I wasn’t trying to say the dude is a jackass or anything, I think he’s been more than generous to pay for so much for her. But I literally did suggest they save up together for a year just like you’re suggesting lol. I will say it clearly here: her asking him to pay for her vacation when she hasn’t contributed anything is lovely, especially if she’s throwing a big fit about it. However I don’t think there’s really enough in that post to determine if she’s being a greedy leech who will never get a job and just suck up his money for years, like what’s posted at the top of this page.

That's fair and something I hadn't really considered to be honest, so good point there.

I think the argument she made that I quoted about "never knowing when she'll get this time to travel," is a good indicator that he isn't unreliable or at fault and she just Wants To Go On This Trip. I wasn't suggesting that you didn't see it as well, but that's such an obvious solution that it paints her in a really poor light.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I don’t think he’s being weird. Like it’s fine people have past sexual relationships but to have it kinda in your face like that is weird and not healthy for the relationship.

Anything that relates to "keeping score" of any kind when it comes to sex is an immaturity red flag to me. Number of people, number of places, keeping track of every race or ethnicity they've had sex with once you're a grown rear end adult in the dating world is friggin weird.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 8, 2019

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Vacation girl has played that dude like a piano, he's put her through college and now she's going to dump his broke rear end LOL

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That being said, she probably should just accept that it ain’t happening and they could both start working towards saving up for a nice vacation in a year or something instead, but that'd require some kind of communication and compromise on both parts.

You mean like the wedding (and likely honeymoon) the boyfriend has been saving for?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

charity rereg posted:

I think the argument she made that I quoted about "never knowing when she'll get this time to travel," is a good indicator that he isn't unreliable or at fault and she just Wants To Go On This Trip. I wasn't suggesting that you didn't see it as well, but that's such an obvious solution that it paints her in a really poor light.

Yeah that's a good point. If nothing else it certainly sounds like she doesn't really understand how gracious he's being here, or probably what the value of a dollar really is. Thinking about it, it kinda comes off like a kid going "what do you mean you can't afford to get me that new game console? You make like a billion dollars!"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Unless that women is studying to be a doctor the idea that she needs a vacation after graduating is goddamn hilarious.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

CheesyDog posted:

r/relationship_advice
I [13f] just found out my dad is only 13 years older then me?
u/doesntmatter11166

Yikes. Wasn't there some story in the news some time ago about a teacher sleeping with her student and getting pregnant? Was it 13 years ago?? :ohdear:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Devil’s advocate for vacation girl, but I can understand wanting to take a short vacation after the stress of college before diving into the stress of your first real job. There may also be some unreliable narrator stuff going on, the “When do i get to recharge?” bit sounds real petty and bitter. Also, it doesn’t seem unreasonable that even the most hard-assed boss would be able to let someone take a single day off work for a long weekend or something with a few months heads-up - she did ask him to TRY, and it didn’t seem like he did. That being said, she probably should just accept that it ain’t happening and they could both start working towards saving up for a nice vacation in a year or something instead, but that'd require some kind of communication and compromise on both parts.

Bosses make people come in while they are dying. His boss may be an unreasonable piece of poo poo, like a lot of bosses are. If he's stressed about the cost, about work, etc, the vacation will suck no matter what. It's better for her to wait a bit before going on a long vacation, especially since he's been supporting them both financially and saving for the wedding. Ideally, she'd take them both on it as a sign of gratitude for that support (she doesn't have to, obviously, and just paying for her own half would be fine), unless he's also planning on going back to school or something.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

CheesyDog posted:

r/relationship_advice
I [13f] just found out my dad is only 13 years older then me?
u/doesntmatter11166

Girl should double check her math and make sure she's got the right dates before confronting the parents. 13 and 28 is a nightmare pedophile situation.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

JFairfax posted:

Unless that women is studying to be a doctor the idea that she needs a vacation after graduating is goddamn hilarious.

After the grind of high school and college, just going to work and having it end when work was over was like a vacation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

Girl should double check her math and make sure she's got the right dates before confronting the parents. 13 and 28 is a nightmare pedophile situation.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. If I had to guess she got her math wrong or looked at the dates incorrectly.

Like it’s not impossible but it really seems highly unlikely.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Dazerbeams posted:

Yeah hopefully she's off by at least 5 years because otherwise holy poo poo her mom is a disgusting child rapist.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah hopefully she's off by at least 5 years because otherwise holy poo poo her mom is a disgusting child rapist.

she should definitely have phone privileges revoked

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
AITA for wanting to shower right before I fall asleep?

quote:

Last night, my roommate sent this text: Hey girls, about to go to bed so when/if y'all come to the apt tonight plz try to be quiet, and no more late night/early morning showers :) those wake me up. Let's keep showers between 7am-9pm. Thanks!

I try to finish my errands and homework before going to sleep. Showering means I have to take my makeup and contacts off. I don’t like going out and feeling dirty when I come home/Iay in bed, moreover. As a result, past ~7pm, I can’t go to the library anymore to study or hang with friends.

Sometimes my days will end as late as 5am, so I’m a little frustrated that she’s dictating my grooming schedule. Is it appropriate for her to tell me when I’m allowed to shower?

UPDATE

I touched upon all your points! Thank you.

She texted back: I can move it to 10pm. But I ask for flexibility and compromise on your end too since we’re living in a shared loft apt. I’d suggest learning to take a shower near 8-9:30pm and then going back to the library or etc. see how you feel, it’s nbd. Lots of ppl do it. You can take a shower in the morning too if u really feel dirty still. I know my request is not unreasonable cuz lots of living arrangements & dorms agree on “quiet hrs” which includes showers. IMA is open till 10:30pm M-F so you can also take showers a little later there lol.

LMAO WHAT THE gently caress the IMA is our campus gym and it’s a twenty minute walk away!!!! I can’t believe this.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I mean I wasn’t trying to say the dude is a jackass or anything, I think he’s been more than generous to pay for so much for her. But I literally did suggest they save up together for a year just like you’re suggesting lol. I will say it clearly here: her asking him to pay for her vacation when she hasn’t contributed anything is lovely, especially if she’s throwing a big fit about it. However I don’t think there’s really enough in that post to determine if she’s being a greedy leech who will never get a job and just suck up his money for years, like what’s posted at the top of this page.

Personally, I think calling the guy petty and bitter for having a perfectly understandable emotional response went beyond standard devil lawyering.

There was a good one today that's sadly already been deleted. A guy found out that his wife hosed her dying best friend two years ago and his 1-year old daughter isn't actually his.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gone Fashing posted:

Yeah, uh, not saying he should drop his girlfriend immediately or revoke her phone privileges, but it's really weird and kind of super trashy that she and her roommates have a world tour sex map.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Weddings are a stupid waste of money, she's actually smart to want to go on vacation instead

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dienes posted:

1) Because the university requires us to use Canvas and its easier to have them use one website rather than two.
2) Because if something goes wrong the IT dept will help a student with Canvas but not github.

Appreciate the suggestion, though!

If you keep a backup on github (like just paste whatever into a word document,) You'd have source control for when canvas inevitably fucks your poo poo 6 ways from sunday.

source: I was an online proctor who regularly worked with students who got burned by not having backups and just using canvas.

e: It's actually super important to keep a back up somewhere not just saving all your poo poo on the lowest bidders web presence since like 2005

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

sebmojo posted:

she should definitely have phone privileges revoked

Let's not be too harsh here.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

Yikes. Wasn't there some story in the news some time ago about a teacher sleeping with her student and getting pregnant? Was it 13 years ago?? :ohdear:

There’s a rather famous case of a high school teacher loving one of her students, going to jail for a few years and then resuming the relationship with the student once she got out and he was 18. I think they got married and have kids now. I think the student was a bit older than 13 at the time though. I read some article about them a while ago and it was basically “well, it’s a weird situation but they seem happy together :shrug:” which is mega hosed up, personally speaking.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Straight White Shark posted:

My (24M) girlfriend (23M) has a world map plaque with pins showing where she has had sex. It angers me. Am I petty?

This guy needs to shut the gently caress up and accept his girlfriend is a sexual being that likes to and seems to be successful at getting it on. He should be happy she settled with his boring rear end with his 1 pin map.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This girl needs to shut the gently caress up and accept her boyfriend is a sexual being that likes to and seems to be successful at getting it on. She should be happy he settled with her boring rear end with her 1 pin map.

I mean I get it's not a one for one comparison in this kind of thing, but lol

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Norton the First posted:

Personally, I think calling the guy petty and bitter for having a perfectly understandable emotional response went beyond standard devil lawyering.

There was a good one today that's sadly already been deleted. A guy found out that his wife hosed her dying best friend two years ago and his 1-year old daughter isn't actually his.

if you still have the link to the deleted post, change "reddit" to "ceddit" and try that. it sounds like a juicy post

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

AITA for wanting to shower right before I fall asleep?

This is fine for a murder suicide situation

sebmojo posted:

I mean I get it's not a one for one comparison in this kind of thing, but lol

I get what you are saying I guess I just find people who get mad at sexual pasts annoying. It’s not in his house, it’s in a shared apartment of girls.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is fine for a murder suicide situation

I get what you are saying I guess I just find people who get mad at sexual pasts annoying. It’s not in his house, it’s in a shared apartment of girls.

oh, I didn't pick that up - i guess that's a bit different

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 8, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My (24M) gf (23f) doesn’t appear to be over her potentially very well hung ex (m26)

quote:

So I met this girl 6 months ago and we were seeing each other for a while before things became exclusive (probably around 3 months ago).

She always said she had only ever had one previous relationship which lasted 5 months back in 2015-16. The relationship ended when the guy left her.

Long story short we are very happy together normally but one day when we were beside each other in bed she went on her instagram as she often does and sitting beside her all I could see was his name numerous times in her search history. I asked her about it and she got really defensive saying all her friends do it and she was just checking up on him. I decide to overlook it entirely.

So fast forward a couple of weeks, and this is where I do something real bad. She leaves her phone down when she’s out and the curiosity gets the better of me (Awfu I know). I have a look and she’s made a note on her phone which is saying how she needs to stop living the fantasy of being with him and then after some stuff about me not really being into her (which I somewhat reassuring I guess).

Another thing I see is one dated from June (we met in October) where she says she’s worried she’ll never be able to get over him. Despite it being over two years later.

Further to this she admitted to trying to reach out to him a month before we met.

I really like this girl and can tell she likes me but there is an undeniable feeling of being second best to this person and also wary of the fact that if he ever made a concerted effort to take her back he could do in a heartbeat.

This is only compounded by the fact that on his social media he is referred to by himself and his friends as 9 inch. can only pray this doesn’t mean what I think it might.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

My (24M) girlfriend (23M) has a world map plaque with pins showing where she has had sex. It angers me. Am I petty?

If a guy did this, it would be considered sleazy and gross. When a gal does it, she’s sexually liberated and worldly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vacation after graduation story:
My friend dated a really entitled rich girl who just HAD to go to Italy after she graduated. Despite having rich parents they only paid for her school, not her living expenses, so instead of getting a part time job she just moved in with my friend and lived off his income. Going to Italy was a huge cost for him, didn't have parents buying him a trip for a present, but it was important to her so he scrimped and saved over the year.

He couldn't get as much time off so he was to join her a week later into the month long trip. A couple days before he left he got an email from her saying she had met a much more exciting guy in Italy, wants to live and work in Italy, and they're done. He was devastated and felt pretty used, but carried on and had a great solo trip in europe that he totally couldn't afford.

A couple months later he gets another email from her saying she hates Italy, the boy she shacked up with dint work out and with no job she has nowhere to stay in Italy so is coming back to Canada and hopes to move back in with him and she'd reconsider their relationship. He Pete'd her good, having a spine and all.

She had to live with her parents for a couple years until she found a wealthy finance guy to very quickly marry, not sure she ever worked a day in her life.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
If you're making a sex map you should invest in a globe at the least, class it up y'know.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

if you still have the link to the deleted post, change "reddit" to "ceddit" and try that. it sounds like a juicy post

I guess ceddit doesn't retain posts that are deleted by the author? The post is still gone, but his comments go from

quote:

That's creepy. But I'm sure that she's my daughter.

when someone points out the timeline and suggests a paternity test, to

quote:

Yeah, everyone here was right. It's not my child. My wife just told me. I'm leaving this marriage. Idc what happens to anyone.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This guy needs to shut the gently caress up and accept his girlfriend is a sexual being that likes to and seems to be successful at getting it on. He should be happy she settled with his boring rear end with his 1 pin map.

Yeah, lol at thinking that taking down the map would make him feel better about it. His memory of the pins would probably just get worse over time and he would build it up in his head as having even more than are actually there. At least now he can see that she had a fun life before she met him.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Norton the First posted:

I guess ceddit doesn't retain posts that are deleted by the author? The post is still gone, but his comments go from

when someone points out the timeline and suggests a paternity test, to

You'd think if you had raised a kid thinking it was your own, you'd still give a poo poo what happened to said child that you presumably loved. Dude could be just as lovely as his wife :iiam:

Scathach fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 8, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Scathach posted:

You'd think if you had raised a kid thinking it was your own, you'd still give a poo poo what happened to said child that you presumably loved. Dude could be just as lovely as his wife :iiam:

i guess if you're just going to jump to the assumption that any given parent gives much of a poo poo about their kid as a human being in the first place

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Honestly, having seen long battles with cancer, at a certain point, especially when it's clear they're not going to make it, they stop being the person they were to you and just become... something else. They still require tons of care, especially of their primary caregivers, and the medications make them start behaving strangely. It's horrible but you get to the point where you want then to go and it feels like that's when you start moving on. I've been through it with grandparents and other family members and I can't imagine going through it with a partner. It may seem a little weird but I feel like I get that guy. Imposing your own stipulations on someone's grieving is kind of hosed up unless their behaviour is really exceptional.

Still creepy that the new wife looks like the dead one and doesn't know or care. My friend was dating this woman for a while and they broke up, and she started dating another guy who looks exactly like my friend, and they're all friends still. I make excuses not to hang out with all of them because it creeps me out.

That said, it wasn't a long battle, she succumbed and then took a long time to die. These are the worst because the person can live for months or even years despite a guaranteed prognosis of death, except they are incapable of caring for themselves. This is why euthanasia should be legal. I can't imagine anyone willingly living in palliative care for more than a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if they had secretly met while the dead wife was still alive.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

we all have a guaranteed prognosis of death, friend

some of us are more capable of caring for ourselves than others

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i guess if you're just going to jump to the assumption that any given parent gives much of a poo poo about their kid as a human being in the first place

Well gently caress.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My (24M) gf (23f) doesn’t appear to be over her potentially very well hung ex (m26)

He refers to himself as 9 inch? Yeah, I'm sure the OP has a lot to worry about. He should just dump her though.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scathach posted:

I think when you just found out your kid isn't yours you're probably allowed to make a comment like "Idc what happens to anyone" without it being taken literally. I'd be too drunk to type at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
shazaaaaaaaam

WIBTA if I don’t get my kid a present for his 18th birthday?

quote:

This is going to be long. Also, if you haven’t seen Shazam! yet, don’t read this. There is spoilers.

I had my son with my ex. When we all lived in Canada, I had 50/50 custody with my ex, until my now husband and I moved to a different province. At that time, my ex wanted to go to school full time and we agreed that I would take our son full time, and his dad would see him as often as possible.

We had him full time for three years, then his dad moved to the place we were living and we went back to 50/50 custody. All totally amicable.

5 years ago my husband got offered an amazing job in California. I wanted my son to come down with us, but I felt super guilty about taking him away from his dad again so we talked about it and I told him that if he wanted to live with his dad, I understand.

He decided to stay with his dad. TBH it sucks and I miss him every drat day.

We send child support every 2 weeks, I text with him all the time, he comes to stay with us for 6 weeks every summer. And we have always been super generous with gifts - we sent him $500 at Christmas. And we are going to give him living expenses and help with the cost of his post secondary education.

So my son went and saw Shazam! on Friday afternoon. We were going to see it Friday night. He texted me and said “Hey the mom in the movie reminds me of you!”

Okay ... I watched the movie. And saw the mother. Who abandoned her kid.

Holy poo poo. I was in tears. I texted him and told him how much that hurt me. He said it was a joke.

But I don’t feel like it was.

I am so hurt that he would do that. I would never ignore his birthday (which is in 4 days), but I’m wondering if I should still send him the birthday money I was planning on, or if I should limit myself to a card and a phone call.

I am too upset to figure out if that would be too bitchy. Would that make me the rear end in a top hat?

edit: Thank you all so much! I though my first reaction was totally me being neurotic - and it’s really good to get everyone’s read on the situation. I will be sending the offspring his birthday money (because he prefers that to a physical gift), and of course we are talking through things. Again - huge thank you!