Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I live in a place with an annoying means-tested public system and was first paying literally $20 a month for 2 kids, but then it went up to like $400 when my wife started working. $1600 is basically saying don't have kids unless you're rich or want to work two jobs to support them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The economics are probably a little different here but in Toronto I'm paying $2500/mo for both my kids in daycare. I'm on the board of directors for our daycare, which is not-for-profit, and roughly 80% of that cost is labour. We just unionized as well, so that'll probably go up a bit, but that's fine with me because you would have to pay me three times that amount to deal with kids (that weren't my own) all day.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Throatwarbler posted:

Most white Americans do want uhc, they just don't want non-white people to have it too.

I mean it's just like anything else in this thread, you either have to believe half the country is completely immune to any sort of evidence based good faith argument and constantly act against their own self interest, or Occam's razor suggests there's probably something that they can't say out loud.

Something like half the country attends church on a regular basis, so I don't' think the idea that they reject evidence-based good faith arguments is that outlandish.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

EverettLO posted:

All the Limbaugh in the world couldn't break his love for his family and he supported my brother and me through mistakes that flew against the conservative mindset. He also loved babies and had a great relationship with his grandchildren.

so he was just as hypocritical as anti-abortion activists who get their kids abortions, cool. your dad actively voted to gently caress over everyone not a white male for guns and reaganomics lol

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

so he was just as hypocritical as anti-abortion activists who get their kids abortions, cool. your dad actively voted to gently caress over everyone not a white male for guns and reaganomics lol

gotta agree, gently caress your dad, and not in the sexy way

"my dad loves me, he just hated brown people"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

And yuuuuup this is now the moment I wake up from the last couple of years right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BiggerBoat posted:

quote:

American public (ie government) spending on healthcare per capita is currently roughly the same as in countries that actually have UHC.
So pretty much the same. You have a source?

OECD posted:

Figure 7.1 also shows the split of health spending based on whether it is paid from government sources or some kind of compulsory insurance, or through voluntary means such as voluntary health insurance or direct payments (see indicator on “Financing of health care”). In general, the ranking of per capita expenditure of government and compulsory schemes is comparable to that of total spending.
Even if voluntary insurance in the United States continues to play a significant role in financing health care, the level of spending from federal and state programmes (such as Medicaid) and Medicare is still greater on a per capita basis in the United States than in most other OECD countries, with the exceptions being Luxembourg, Norway and Switzerland.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

The economics are probably a little different here but in Toronto I'm paying $2500/mo for both my kids in daycare. I'm on the board of directors for our daycare, which is not-for-profit, and roughly 80% of that cost is labour. We just unionized as well, so that'll probably go up a bit, but that's fine with me because you would have to pay me three times that amount to deal with kids (that weren't my own) all day.

at least with this arrangement most of they money goes to the workers...and they're hopefully paid well???

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EverettLO posted:

My Trump voting father died of a brain cancer about a month ago. Thinking about his life, it occurs to me that he led the archetypal life of a boomer.

He was born into a family supported by a union electrician who later went on to become a union president. The decent wages and conditions allowed my grandfather to live in a nice house and send my father to college for engineering, the first in our family. My father's relationship with his own father became more strained as he headed into management later in life and as the Republican party stopped pretending to play nice with union workers.

My father appears to have always been right wing, but began to transform into a boomer chud in the age of Reagan. He never seems to have bought fully into the more esoteric Republican beliefs on voodoo economics or cutting all regulations. He was mostly a single issue voter, and that single issue was guns. Culture war issues were a useful cudgel to aggravate the libs but held no real animus for him.

During the early 1990s the company he spend 20 years working for was bought out by another company and he was laid off as redundant. It was the obvious conclusion to everything Reagan's economy embodied. He was able to find another job in local government that he held until a few years before he died. The working conditions were better and the benefits were light years ahead. None of this had any effect on his shallowly considered belief that governments needed to be cut down and that the free market could handle it better.

I watched him transform further during the 1990s as a result of the Contract with America and the explosion Rush Limbaugh and Fox News. No longer would he consider political views outside of the pre-scripted talking points. For someone going through their own teenage political formation, it made earnest conversation all but impossible.

The Bush years were banner years, sort of. All of the ideals he should have loved were politically ascendant but he never seemed satisfied with it. He was not terribly pleased with the invasion of Iraq even if he was fine with Afghanistan. In the 2008 primary he bafflingly chose to vote for Fred Thompson. The election of Obama broke his political will and from then on he just seemed sullen and bitter on the subject of politics. He never seemed to like Trump and thought he was an idiot. He voted for him, though. Anything to see Clinton eat poo poo on a national stage.

In some ways it was not as dire as it sounds. All the Limbaugh in the world couldn't break his love for his family and he supported my brother and me through mistakes that flew against the conservative mindset. He also loved babies and had a great relationship with his grandchildren.

I will miss him despite the fact that our conversations needed to be carefully cultivated to avoid politics. I think this is true of many boomers and their children.

glad your :chud: boomer dad is dead. what a hypocritical prick lmao

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i think y'all are a being a bit too harsh here

i mean, yeah that poster's dad WAS objectively awful, but we could show the guy a bit of tact

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

no

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

i think y'all are a being a bit too harsh here

i mean, yeah that poster's dad WAS objectively awful, but we could show the guy a bit of tact

shut the gently caress up liberal

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:decorum:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

at least with this arrangement most of they money goes to the workers...and they're hopefully paid well???

Oh for sure, that's one of the reasons I'm fine with it and we didn't resist them unionizing at all. Early Childhood Educators should be compensated well, and thanks to public healthcare they can be, instead of that money going to insurance. Even at those rates, the margins are pretty thin, though we're not for profit so it doesn't matter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

flashy_mcflash posted:

So break this down for me, you're paying $1250/child a month, what's the ratio of workers to children? How much are they getting paid per month?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

lol at the guy whose lovely boomer dad died

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

So break this down for me, you're paying $1250/child a month, what's the ratio of workers to children? How much are they getting paid per month?

It's not split equally. We pay 1700 for our toddler (2 years old) and 550 for our older one (6 years old). The ratios are mandated by the province - around 3:1 kids:ECE's. The workers rates vary based on seniority but they're about 20-25/hr plus benefits. Most are right in the middle or at the top end of that range.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Holy shitballs America

To be fair, it's not so much daycare as it is a school with actual curriculum and whatnot. They get breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack, all cooked in-house.

On the other hand, I'm on the lowest tier for payments based on our income. Also they structure enrollment so that if you're not paying all year round, you're probably not going to have a spot in the fall. Like, if I take my kid out in the summer since my wife is home, I won't have a spot next semester. It costs more than my house.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

My county proactively voted to raise the minimum to $15/hour, the state legislature promptly passed a law prohibiting cities and counties from establishing a min wage. Party of freedom.

Are you from Missouri because I'm pretty sure that happened to St. Louis

selec
Sep 6, 2003

zegermans posted:

Are you from Missouri because I'm pretty sure that happened to St. Louis

happened here in my city in Iowa, so DSA canvassed local restaurants and got them to pledge to pay the new minimum wage despite the state law, and picketed the few holdouts until they agreed too.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but it's absolutely insane how american evangelicalism has become a blatant death-cult.

my boomer parents

loving :sever:, OP

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

selec posted:

happened here in my city in Iowa, so DSA canvassed local restaurants and got them to pledge to pay the new minimum wage despite the state law, and picketed the few holdouts until they agreed too.

nice

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

selec posted:

:hellyeah:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

selec posted:

Good! Food service workers deserve better.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's not split equally. We pay 1700 for our toddler (2 years old) and 550 for our older one (6 years old). The ratios are mandated by the province - around 3:1 kids:ECE's. The workers rates vary based on seniority but they're about 20-25/hr plus benefits. Most are right in the middle or at the top end of that range.

that's so good

us federal law for teacher:student ratios in daycare

https://www.childcare.gov/consumer-education/ratios-and-group-sizes

not great, folks

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Okay, that honestly does sound like the majority of the money goes to wages, fantastic.

I mean, terrible that it costs that much, but still.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

yeah, that's been the case since i was in my early 20s and my youngest brother came out and my parents (predictably) treated him like poo poo. i had moved out when i was 18 and had been living on my own for several years, so when he came out and told me what they said / did to him, i had him move in with me and told my parents how badly they had hosed up, treating their own son like this. i mean, they weren't cool with me either, but since i'm cis-het i didn't have to deal with the kind of mind games they apparently started dropping on him.

for years i think i spoke to them maybe once or twice in a given year. when my wife became pregnant and i told my mom, she wanted to do some magic 180 and pretend like they could just be cool fun grandparents that would be involved in my daughter's life, and it was cathartic getting to tell her why that was never going to happen and they could gently caress right off.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah, that's been the case since i was in my early 20s and my youngest brother came out and my parents (predictably) treated him like poo poo. i had moved out when i was 18 and had been living on my own for several years, so when he came out and told me what they said / did to him, i had him move in with me and told my parents how badly they had hosed up, treating their own son like this. i mean, they weren't cool with me either, but since i'm cis-het i didn't have to deal with the kind of mind games they apparently started dropping on him.

for years i think i spoke to them maybe once or twice in a given year. when my wife became pregnant and i told my mom, she wanted to do some magic 180 and pretend like they could just be cool fun grandparents that would be involved in my daughter's life, and it was cathartic getting to tell her why that was never going to happen and they could gently caress right off.

he's lucky you're so cool OP

evangelicals are the reason the military is gayer than the population as a whole too thanks to poo poo like this and kicking out sons/daughters who come out, for many it's either military or the streets where there is pretty much no best case scenario

hard to imagine why the average age of church goers is like 80! (the UU one near me actually is pretty youthful but there's no way an evangelical would consider them "real" christians as they're super lefty and believe that deeds > words, basically a nightmare ideology to an evangelical)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

uh it's been a while since I attended but UU as an organization doesn't identify as christian or any other larger religious tradition

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jenny Agutter posted:

uh it's been a while since I attended but UU as an organization doesn't identify as christian or any other larger religious tradition

Yep, UU's aren't Christians.

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Grape posted:

Yep, UU's aren't Christians.

I was raised AoG(the worst kind of Evangelical), I tried attending a UU church before I got married it was chock full of atheists like me and I liked it. But I was working retail so it was hard to schedule around that and I just kind of drifted away. My wife is super creeped out as bored by religious ritual/ceremony so I've never really tried to start up again. I do like to "get into religious mode" like how I played along when I was a kid sometimes just to gently caress with her though. She really really hates it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shaffness posted:

I was raised AoG(the worst kind of Evangelical), I tried attending a UU church before I got married it was chock full of atheists like me and I liked it. But I was working retail so it was hard to schedule around that and I just kind of drifted away. My wife is super creeped out as bored by religious ritual/ceremony so I've never really tried to start up again. I do like to "get into religious mode" like how I played along when I was a kid sometimes just to gently caress with her though. She really really hates it.

you seem pretty dumb.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't see how that's very dumb but I've never attended so :shrug:

Jenny Agutter posted:

yeah I worded that poorly and didn't mean to imply that, more that mammon-worshipers would probably think it was legit worship of Satan before they'd think of it as anything that could be seen as holy or even good

the one where I live is apparently incredibly good but I keep finding reasons not to go, I should go Sunday to check it out, I have to go into work for a few hours after but it sounds like they wouldn't care if I show up in my jeans and work polo

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Epic High Five posted:

you can tell that the minimum wage hike experiments were successful because chud think tanks and poo poo libs are still refusing to leave the realm of abstracts, because after all, more people having more money to spend increasing the velocity of money being a unambiguous good for the economy is Marxism

yeah that’s always my favorite part because they don’t even realize the silent end of the argument they’re making

“sure more people will be in higher brackets which is good for the economy but the companies will just fire a bunch of people to compensate” ... because the companies and higher ups will never relinquish their ludicrous shares of profits.

Biplane posted:

you seem pretty dumb.

it’s pretty cathartic actually. I do it sometimes and it’s like purging that poo poo out of you. and considering I’ve listened to more sermons than you could have heard if you went to church 3x a week for 40 years, I say I’m due some cathartic purging.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

That sucks. I can relate.

My ex wife - we were married for 10 years - dated a black guy before she met me and her old man wound up crying in a fetal position in the bathroom when he learned about it. Her brother had her back but the whole thing must have sucked out loud while she was going through it. They're still die hard GOP voters even though apparently they don't like Trump.

I can't imagine that kind of blowback from the few people that are supposed to love and take care of you just for being gay or dating outside your race. So loving stupid and damaging.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
forgive my ignorance, but what the gently caress is a uu

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I saw a truck with multiple Trump! stickers today rolling the coal.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

forgive my ignorance, but what the gently caress is a uu

Unitarian universalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

unitarian world universalist