Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think that’s just a game over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hatty posted:

I think that’s just a game over
Pretty much. It's basically the game's way of saying "You can save anyplace, anytime, anywhere. SAVE OFTEN, KID"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I’ve read that it’s basically the hardest part of the whole game so I’m trying to just get through it, I mostly seem to just be getting unlucky rolls where things kill me in one or two hits or demons won’t join me without stealing all my HP. Or if I do get one to join it dies instantly to something it’s weak to

Guess I’ll just have to grind through until I’m somehow able to get three, should be doable if I save every time I get one

Seems like a bad introduction to the series but I’m gonna stick with it because I love whatever the gently caress is going on with a bunch of religious medieval peasants interpreting some sci fi tech as fairy magic, such a cool premise
A tip for negotiation; it seems to work better if you grant the demon one or two requests, then end negotiating. If you just give them everything they want, they seem more likely to take it and run. That's only true in this game and maybe Apocalypse, though.

Wark Say posted:

Also, the Japanese audio thing is (was?) only available if you had a hacked 3DS because I guess some fans had a similar bone to pick with the localization? It's been forever since I heard about it, though. But no, the normal SMT IV does not have the option to switch languages.
Undubs exist for anything voiced; there are people who decry anything in English because :japan:. Personally, I think most Atlus dubs are pretty good, but I'm fine with people having the option to choose.

Except Wild Arms Alter Code F, for some reason. That game originally had a dub track in Japanese, but Agetec removed it completely rather than dub the game. I guess they must have had Media Vision remove all calls for the dub track instead of inserting blank audio files or something. Figures that the one game I actually cared about an undub for doesn't have one, though.

Frog Act posted:

Oh word, does it matter if you choose to “wait in line” with him? I can’t afford his boat fee anyway
I think you can start a tab with him and he'll just show up and take it once you can afford the fee. If you die again before that it might be game over though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I’ve read that it’s basically the hardest part of the whole game so I’m trying to just get through it, I mostly seem to just be getting unlucky rolls where things kill me in one or two hits or demons won’t join me without stealing all my HP. Or if I do get one to join it dies instantly to something it’s weak to

Guess I’ll just have to grind through until I’m somehow able to get three, should be doable if I save every time I get one

Seems like a bad introduction to the series but I’m gonna stick with it because I love whatever the gently caress is going on with a bunch of religious medieval peasants interpreting some sci fi tech as fairy magic, such a cool premise

For negotion, I dimly recall I good rule of thumb is "Give them a thing once, Cheat once, then end negotiations as soon as the option pops up."

I have pretty good results with that, in any case.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Save often and don't give Charon money ever.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I started saving after every battle and quitting the application when I died so I got a Fairy, a Lham Derg, a Fuxi, and a Centaur before finishing the tutorial. I really like the systems but I also find them almost as baffling as whatever the lore of Flynn being plucked off the street to tame sapient demons will end up being

Definitely a weird game. It’s extra odd to me that the hub areas are just all navigated by menu but I guess in effect they just cut out the middleman time inherent to walking around in JRPGS

Is my party always going to be Flynn and some demons? Should I be trying to recruit every type I run into like Pokémon?

Also is there like a good list of moves you should / shouldn’t learn from demons / characteristics of good demons? I saw somewhere it’s smart to have a healing demon around to save on revival stones and stuff

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Is my party always going to be Flynn and some demons? Should I be trying to recruit every type I run into like Pokémon?

Also is there like a good list of moves you should / shouldn’t learn from demons / characteristics of good demons? I saw somewhere it’s smart to have a healing demon around to save on revival stones and stuff

Yep it's always just you and the demons. Human allies are AI controlled and outside the normal party system. You don't need to recruit absolutely everything but the more you recruit the more fusion options you'll have.

As for what moves to take that's really up to you and how you want to build yourself. Ideally focus on one attack stat and get good moves for that and then any support or passives that seem useful. You'll always be replacing these as you find better ones throughout the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Frog Act posted:

Yes. You will always be depending on a party of Flynn + demons, so try to keep a good stock on hand. Also remember that fusion makes one demon out of two.

Frog Act posted:

Depends on your stat build for Flynn, naturally. A high-Dex Flynn is going to want Phys and Gun abilities, and will have a few open slots for buffs/debuffs or healing as compared to a Magic Flynn who needs all of the magic elements, but will be getting more Press Turns from hitting weaknesses as opposed to being reliant on crits for them.

Also, Strength is apparently a trap. It only has a major effect on your sword damage, with Dex having a much greater effect on special attack and gun damage. Also also, your equipped weapon has no effect on special attack damage, period.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

drat, thanks dudes. I’ve been putting points into STR but it sounds like Dex/Magic is the way to go, for elemental attacks and physical ranged things. I hope I didn’t gently caress up by spending my first four levels of points kinda poorly

How does fusion work? Is it generally better to fuse demons and get a better one or to train up dudes from the very beginning?

I’m getting the sense it’s gonna take awhile to internalize the systems, I hope it isn’t mega easy to ruin your character wit bad decisions

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah, don't put any points in Str at all. Go for Dex if you're running a physical build.

Skills wise, you basically want good elemental coverage on your demons. There are good gun skills for Flynn, plus any Physical ones which have a high Crit rate to get extra turns. Buffs and Debuffs work well also, sometimes bosses will nullify debuffs later in the game but for most of the game they can be super useful.

You'll usually want a healer yeah. For most regular fights it won't be necessary to have them in your party (you can heal outside of battle afterwards as long as they're in your stock), you'll want a healer in your party for boss fights though.

Also for spending App points, there's an app which regenerates your party's MP as you walk, which is really useful.

e: No I made the same mistake and was putting points in Str at first. I switched to just spreading out between the other stats then, focusing mostly on Dex and Mag, and a little later on Luck. But really once you're past the opening areas and start getting more demons (and fusing stronger ones), the difficulty curve evens out. You really can't gently caress up your character build too badly.

Yes you want to be fusing pretty regularly, once a demon has unlocked all its skills you should be looking to fuse it. Sometimes you might need to wait to level yourself up to fuse something useful from it, but really once you're fusing something with better stats or stronger skills you can't go too wrong. Again, you just need to keep an eye on weaknesses etc. You can start playing around with transferring Null/Repel skills during fusion also to eliminate weaknesses.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 26, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fused demons are always going to be better than recruited demons because you get to tweak their skills, and they'll have more of them. Recruiting is just to get new skills and demons into the mix for later fusion. Demons are not your friends they are merely tools to be used, ground up, and discarded for more power.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Frog Act posted:

drat, thanks dudes. I’ve been putting points into STR but it sounds like Dex/Magic is the way to go, for elemental attacks and physical ranged things. I hope I didn’t gently caress up by spending my first four levels of points kinda poorly

How does fusion work? Is it generally better to fuse demons and get a better one or to train up dudes from the very beginning?

I’m getting the sense it’s gonna take awhile to internalize the systems, I hope it isn’t mega easy to ruin your character wit bad decisions
Fortunately, between getting like 5 points per level to spend and the various stat-increasing incenses you'll find, it's hard to actually ruin your build. Four levels of points into Str isn't going to mess you up. You do generally want to pick either Dex or Ma and Ag on level up because hitting hard and going first is the name of the game here. If you're running a Phys build, throw some points into Luck for better crit rate. There's no defense stat, aside from resistances, so everyone's kinda a glass cannon.

You'll get introduced to fusion later, but the gist is that demons level up slowly, and take comparatively more exp to level the farther they are from their base level. You want to eventually fuse demons because they'll drop behind Flynn's level fairly quickly, although the right skill setup on a demon with good stats and resistances can punch above its level a bit. At most, you should be keeping demons long enough to learn all their skills and get that whisper chance, but if a demon doesn't have anything you really want, feel free to fuse it before then.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 26, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

Demons are not your friends they are merely tools to be used, ground up, and discarded for more power.
B-but a good chunk of them told me to "Close it up, brah". :ohdear:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 26, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Awesome, thanks guys. I’m gonna focus on dex and try to find guns and stuff, with backup points in magic for elemental attacks. Maybe grind a little in Naraku to make up for the first four levels

Quick question, in between battles, how do you rest and restore HP/MP? Back to your barracks?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If still in Naraku? Basically, yeah, unless a demon conversation goes so well that one of them heals you, that's the grind of Naraku if you lack recovery items for MP.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Oh, word, okay. What about reviving KO’d demons who are in my summon pool? Just not possible without a revival stone?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Unless you're crazy lucky enough to have one of your demons get a skill mutate that gives them Recarm (the standard revival magic), pretty much.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dang. The necessity of downtime and semi permanent KOs makes the fun part of the system a lot harder to engage with, since your party members are at constant risk of one shot KOs and then they’re just gone for the foreseeable future

I hope the whole game isn’t just this kinda painful thing in Naraku, I’m assuming it isn’t and you leave the castle eventually

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The beginning of the game is absolutely the most difficult part and the rest of the game is much more reasonable. This ended up causing SMT grognards to start whining that the game is "too easy", in fact.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Does anyone remember how long the hard beginning is? I’m two hours in, learning about quest types in Naraku after leaving it once. Right now it’s like win one fight, save, a demon gets KOed next fight, close application and load game, beat one more demon and save, into infinity and it’s unfun

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I recently noticed that Nintendo is selling refurb New 3DS XLs for $120 in their online store, .... But I can't commit to getting one because, honestly, they're just kind of ugly. The regular New 3DS design is better, as is the New 2DS XL. I actually like the 3D though. I guess this is a complaint post.
So I did pick one up and it's as I expected. The large screens are great, but the case feels flimsy compared to the non-XL model. Taking the back off to get at the SD card is even more annoying than the non-XL because of that, and now it doesn't sit quite flush since the small band near the cartridge slot bends easily. But that 3D!

Amusingly it shipped with firmware 10.6.0. I would've assume Nintendo refurbs would run a newer (if not latest) version, but maybe they have a pile of New 3DS XLs sitting on the shelf from several years ago?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Frog Act posted:

Does anyone remember how long the hard beginning is? I’m two hours in, learning about quest types in Naraku after leaving it once. Right now it’s like win one fight, save, a demon gets KOed next fight, close application and load game, beat one more demon and save, into infinity and it’s unfun
Difficulty should be leveling off fairly soon after the end of Naraku.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

Once you're out of Naraku a 2nd time which should be soon, the game does get a good deal easier/more manageable.

Commander Keene posted:

The beginning of the game is absolutely the most difficult part and the rest of the game is much more reasonable. This ended up causing SMT grognards to start whining that the game is "too easy", in fact.
Like yeah, the game gets easier, but at the end of the day, part of what made the game fun for me is that:
  • Even if it does get easier (since you level up and the area becomes more open to exploration), if you don't stay on your toes/have lovely luck/overplay your hand, demons will kick your rear end.
  • Try different approaches. Try conversing with demons even when it looks like there's nothing in it for you.
  • Luck is lowkey a great secondary stat and affects a ton of things. So even if you decide to go with a Physical or Magic build, throw Luck a bone and it'll do right by you.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I forgot how I did it, but really early on I managed to get the skill that reflects all physical damage and the skill that reflects all magical damage onto Flynn. I paired this with MP stealing skills. With enough elemental coverage you can use the reflect skill, get extra turns, spend them recouping the reflect skills' enormous MP costs, and have a good chuckle when the enemy doesn't get to play.

So if the game is still kicking your rear end just do that I guess.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Well I thought I had finished after the second set of quests but apparently, and I just checked a guide, next is four level ten bosses in a row to my level 8 dude. So I fused some new demons with elemental damage they should be weak too and I’m gonna grind some, but it’s definitely a lol that they triple down on the real hard stuff right when you’re getting kind of a hang of stuff

I might let myself die twice to drop the difficulty down instead of loading every time

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Once you've got a full team of demons up and you start fusing regularly you shouldn't be dying much outside of the occasional unlucky crit or surprise boss encounter. If you're still dying regularly and you've already unlocked fusion then you might not be hitting crits/element weaknesses as often as you should, or you're not fusing often enough and your team is starting to lag behind in power.

The best defense in this game is definitely a strong offense.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I dunno immediately after you learn fusion the difficulty intensifies and makes the earlier part of Naraku look like a joke. My Flynn is level 8 after spending an hours specifically just grinding for exp and the bosses you face are level 10, first two Naga, then two other things, then two more Naga. I followed some advice and got the fire type they're weak too and fused some more demons but the naga still managed to kill my entire party in one turn with four single shot critical hits. I guess I just have to...grind for another couple hours? I have the right rock-paper-scissors attacks, I just feel too low level or something. its kind of insane.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo Trucy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Any recommendations for non-rpg DS games? I haven't had a DS since 2009 and all the big names it DS games are RPGs, for which there's a limit on what you have the time to play concurrently.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The DS has an absolutely massive library and "non-RPG" is so unspecific that it hardly whittles it down at all so I'm just going to say Rocket Slime

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fawf posted:

The DS has an absolutely massive library and "non-RPG" is so unspecific that it hardly whittles it down at all so I'm just going to say Rocket Slime

Seconding Rocket Slime. Kirby Super Star Ultra is another good one. A superior remake to the best Kirby game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fawf posted:

Agreed on unspecificity but
- The three Castlevania DS entries are widely regarded as the pinnacle of the series, although which one of the three specifically tends to vary
- Megaman ZX/ZX Advent are good followups to the GBA Megaman Zero games
- Professor Layton and Ace Attorney

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I suppose so. I've gotten ahold of the Mario and Luigi games,.TWEWY, and all the Pokemon I need. Last time I owned a DS I did play rocket slime (very good), and most if not all of the Castlevanias, though it's been long enough I don't remember what all I had.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions for games than can be played in 10-20 minute increments. Action/platformers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

- The three Castlevania DS entries are widely regarded as the pinnacle of the series, although which one of the three specifically tends to vary

The Zero games are also available on DS as a full four-game collection.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ItBreathes posted:

I guess I'm looking for suggestions for games than can be played in 10-20 minute increments. Action/platformers.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and the Advance Wars entries fall into the “10-20 minute increment” category; action/platformers with the same constraint are a bit trickier, especially if it’s a “pause at a moments notice and pick it up later without forgetting what you were doing”.

e: New Super Mario is good if you like that specific game format (not everyone likes the physics changes), Mario 64 DS is widely considered better than the original with the sole exception of how it plays on a D-Pad; the 3DS joystick helps with that but doesn’t fix it entirely since it’s still the same underlying dpad controls. Kirby Super Star Ultra is basically the same as the SNES version and thus excellent.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 28, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ItBreathes posted:

Any recommendations for non-rpg DS games? I haven't had a DS since 2009 and all the big names it DS games are RPGs, for which there's a limit on what you have the time to play concurrently.

elite beat agents

buy a screen protector

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Who the gently caress says the Castlevania DS games are the best Castlevania games?

Dawn of Sorrow was good but was vastly worse than it could have been due to touchscreen gimmicks. Order of Ecclesia has not-great map design, though it plays great. Portrait of Ruin was... Portrait of Ruin.

Meanwhile Aria of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night exist.

I can recommend none of the DS Castlevania games unless you already know you like Castlevania because they're good but not great.

As far as non-Castlevania games go, I can recommend Squeak Squad, New Super Mario Bros and Chinatown Wars (if you liked/remember pre-3D GTA).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

endlessmonotony posted:

Who the gently caress says the Castlevania DS games are the best Castlevania games?

Dawn of Sorrow was good but was vastly worse than it could have been due to touchscreen gimmicks. Order of Ecclesia has not-great map design, though it plays great. Portrait of Ruin was... Portrait of Ruin.

Meanwhile Aria of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night exist.

I can recommend none of the DS Castlevania games unless you already know you like Castlevania because they're good but not great.

As far as non-Castlevania games go, I can recommend Squeak Squad, New Super Mario Bros and Chinatown Wars (if you liked/remember pre-3D GTA).

Almost everyone considers DS and PoR better and more refined. You're kind of a outlier in this one man.

Order usually has a big * in how difficult is for people though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Contra 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Out of the many Kirby games on the DS Squeak Squad is the one I'd least recommend, it's braindead easy even by Kirby standards and it mostly reuses GBA assets. Super Star Ultra is arguably the best game in the series, Canvas Curse is beautiful and was one of the first DS games to sell the touch screen as more than a gimmick, and Mass Attack is a fun Pikmin platformer where every stage introduces a new gameplay mechanic.