Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Black Griffon posted:

I despise mousewheel weapon scrolling, I like using it for items instead when I have the chance. Wheel for items, middle click or something like F for item activation.

Comedy option: Boot up Hexen, bind 'Use Item' to mousewheel. Cheat in max flechettes and run around with the cleric spraying clouds of grenades at everything.

This same technique was a prank I used to use at LAN parties with Call of Duty 4. You could bind the firebutton mousewheel up and down and load up the G3, which was a powerful low-recoil semiauto rifle. This let you let out blistering volleys of low-recoil fire that would destroy players that would make everyone want to murder you if you used it for more than one or two kills. A similar prank involved the cars - some maps had destructible cars with a fully-rendered interior. You could melee the window, break, it, and throw a C4 charge on the floorboard where it was invisible without a specific and little-used perk. Then you'd fire a shot and lie down nearby and wait for a player to run towards the blip you put on their radar. When they near the car, yell out "Allahu Ackbar" and detonate your homemade VBIED. After one or two all cars on the map would quickly become kill-on-sight to other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

site posted:

that reminds me, i was watching a 100% speedrun of doom 16 and the runner was doing this thing where they would quickly flip between the rocket launcher, ssg, and...something else all within like 5 seconds for max damage and im still curious as to how they configured that. i dont even recall 16 having a console to make macros like that

Maybe they're using cancels and practiced enough that they can do it consistently by hand?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

John Murdoch posted:

Between the Build holy trinity and Heretic I could just never quite get a handle on shooters with inventories. Though I suppose like 90% of the time you really only need to worry about healing.

What's the ideal not-the-goddamn-brackets bind setup for being able to scroll through/use (I don't remember if you need a unique key for use item in those games) anyhow? Q + E would force Use to be somewhere else which feels wrong, R + F generally don't match the orientation. And no, I don't have any of your fancypants mice with extra buttons!!!! :argh:

Oof, I was going to say I use the side buttons on a mouse (with either 'Q' or 'V' as use item, I generally use 'Q' but that's quick kick in Duke so there I use 'V'). Does your mouse have a wheel that clicks from side to side? I had a mouse that did and I was able to assign those to inventory.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

John Murdoch posted:

Between the Build holy trinity and Heretic I could just never quite get a handle on shooters with inventories. Though I suppose like 90% of the time you really only need to worry about healing.

What's the ideal not-the-goddamn-brackets bind setup for being able to scroll through/use (I don't remember if you need a unique key for use item in those games) anyhow? Q + E would force Use to be somewhere else which feels wrong, R + F generally don't match the orientation. And no, I don't have any of your fancypants mice with extra buttons!!!! :argh:

heretic is fine on this count, hexen is a nightmare by comparison.

I didn't have zdoom or w/e my first time as an adult, so mouse was garbage and I used numpad for look (8 4 6 2, with 5 as recenter), which turned out well cuz I used 7 and 1 for the flight controls and 9 and 3 for inventory.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I think Doom might be the greatest game ever made.

On the merits, almost certainly. It's up there with Super Mario Bros., Starcraft, Oregon Trail, Fallout 2, System Shock 2, whatever you'd like to bring in.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

I've always mapped Z/X to "scroll left/right through your inventory" and C to "use item", myself. That way, it's always in close proximity to where my fingers already are.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Over under shotgun.

OVER UNDER SHOTGUN

:circlefap:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Seriously why are O/Us not the standard video game shotgun? So much potential for cool animations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Maybe they're using cancels and practiced enough that they can do it consistently by hand?

One of the runes makes weapon swaps faster, so once that's upgraded you can just alternate tapping weapon hotkeys and M1 for quick, varied demon death.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Seriously why are O/Us not the standard video game shotgun? So much potential for cool animations.

This is the only like the 2nd time I can remember seeing one, didn't one of those TripWire WWII shooters have one? And I think there's a Doom shotgun mod that featured one, but there are Doom shotgun wads that feature 32-barrel super shotguns that fire smaller super shotguns so that doesn't really count.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

STALKER used an O/U, the TOZ. I have good memories of it, since it was really easy to switch between slug and buck, and with slug it had good range, so it was pretty good in a lot of the early game fights when you're mostly outside with scattered, spread out enemies.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
During one of Payday 2's many meta shifts, its O/U shotgun was king of the shotguns for a little while.

catlord posted:

Does your mouse have a wheel that clicks from side to side? I had a mouse that did and I was able to assign those to inventory.

My mouse has three buttons and a wheel, which is the optimal number. No more, no less. :colbert:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Five buttons and a tiltwheel or bust.

I need jump, use, fire, alt-fire, and item on my mouse. Tiltwheel means it can use up/down for weapons and left/right for inventory.

Any mouse with less and I'll play games like Civ instead. Or just read random bullshit on the internet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pathos posted:

Okay, here’s a slightly more difficult question: what’s the best Build Engine game? Clearly it’s Tekwar but ignoring that obvious choice what do you guys think?

I’d probably say that I think Blood is the best, but it’s honestly a bit tough as Powerslave is also great.

Ion Maiden, probably.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Actually, what are decent PS1 shooters to check out?

Disruptor is a bit Doom-y but with silly enemies.
Brahma Force is nice in a stompy mecha way.
Doom is a great remix of both Doom 1 and 2 with coloured lighting, a sinister ambient score, and some new maps. The developers even snuck some Doom 2 monsters into UV Doom 1.

Duke Nukem Total Meltdown is kinda buggy and unrefined, but it has a new episode and a loving astounding soundtrack.

Codename/Lifeforce Tenka is kinda interesting. I like it, anyway.

Descent Maximum is Descent 2 but with an entirely new set of levels because Sony hated direct ports at the time.

Medal of Honor is dated as hell nowadays, but historically important for being the root at the tree of the modern WW2 shooter that spawned CoD etc.

Quake 2 is incredibly impressive technically and looks great.

Powerslave is similar to the Saturn version. The since-legalled-out-of-existence Powerslave EX fan-port was based on it.

Hexen is a reeeal bad port, with awful framerate, no multiplayer, only front sprites, gib animations removed and simplified maps.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

And now an important discovery about Doom 3.
https://twitter.com/gbaspgamer/status/1157059514958589952

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I kinda like Alien Trilogy though I've only played the Saturn version.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
anyone made an inter-map for sigil yet, like the one someone made for thy flesh consumed?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Cat Mattress posted:

Hell-Forged has a neat intermap, too:

Maybe a weird place to ask this but ever since I grew up along with these kinds of graphics I've always wondered how these absurdly detailed pixel art things were done. Is it digitised artwork or just genuine pixel art, or a combination of both? It just blows my mind how absurd they are.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

https://twitter.com/springhakurei/status/1157036354926198785?s=19

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Maybe a weird place to ask this but ever since I grew up along with these kinds of graphics I've always wondered how these absurdly detailed pixel art things were done. Is it digitised artwork or just genuine pixel art, or a combination of both? It just blows my mind how absurd they are.
I think most of the new art in Hell-Forged uses renders of high-poly 3D models as a base for hardcore pixel-arting

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

kirbysuperstar posted:

I kinda like Alien Trilogy though I've only played the Saturn version.
From what I remember it played better on the PlayStation, but I could be wrong. It's been ages either way. I have it on PC (somewhere) but seeing as it only runs under DOS I've just left it to gather dust. For whatever reason, stuff just doesn't feel "right" running under DOSbox, there's something off about the input and it's particularly irritating in FPS games.

That being said, Alien Trilogy turns into a cumbersome, boring bastard of a game once you start dealing with all the human enemies.

Songbearer posted:

In Doom's case a lot of it was based on digitised stuff which was then hosed around with to manually add countless details (and it looks to be the same with that custom intermission map). It's the best of both worlds!

The Kins posted:

Hexen is a reeeal bad port, with awful framerate, no multiplayer, only front sprites, gib animations removed and simplified maps.
Jesus H. Christ is this ever true. An unbelievably loving bad job was done here, and I was unfortunate enough to end up with a copy of this botched garbage as a kid after a mate "forgot" to take it home with him then said "nah you can have it" when I asked if he wanted it back. Free poo poo is still poo poo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Songbearer posted:

I'm pretty sure the volcano and the buildings were made with something like Sculptris or Mudbox, then a render served as a base for painting details.

Heretic's maps are quite obviously renders, probably with some minor touchups. Doom's maps are a mix of scanned art (like the craters), photo collages (mostly for the Hell maps), and pixel art (the little buildings and other minor details).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Did it have leading zeroes to begin with, or why would he assume it would stop at one million?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

I am sustained by pictures of Dooms and buns

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cat Mattress posted:

What? Uh no I'm not drooling you are!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vikar Jerome posted:

anyone made an inter-map for sigil yet, like the one someone made for thy flesh consumed?

Are you talking about a "you are here" map? There's one for TFC? I must have! On that note, is there one for Doom 2?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

chaosapiant posted:

Are you talking about a "you are here" map? There's one for TFC? I must have! On that note, is there one for Doom 2?

There was one that was made by someone using the screenname Skunk, called thyinterpic.wad, which after a long and circuitous search, can be found here (found via a steam guide). Skunk was also working on intermission maps for Doom II, but never finished it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I really wish the Doom 1 levels in PSX Doom hadn't been stuck as "the Jaguar reduced-complexity geometry, but with colored lights added in" but rather done at the same higher detail as the Doom 2 levels that needed changing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm up to E4M6 Against Thee Wickedly and I think Romero should give it a loving break

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

kinda late reply but just that map got me interested in Hell-Forged. God drat it's beautiful.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

I'm up to E4M6 Against Thee Wickedly and I think Romero should give it a loving break

I'll loving sign this. I got this far in my UV run and then decided it was time to play some Doom 2016 instead.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'll loving sign this. I got this far in my UV run and then decided it was time to play some Doom 2016 instead.

This is funny to me because extremely same. Quit Doom, started Doom and this year's Ultra-Nightmare labours.

Black Griffon posted:

ah_shit_here_we_go_again.wmv

edit: butts

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 2, 2019

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
No one talking about the latest Black Mesa update at all is a sin.

This is beyond pretty and really well thought out, though I question if the Gonarch stuff needed to be like 3-4 full scale maps worth of chase and fight.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i want someone to make superhot but a real game. loved that poo poo in dusk.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Diabetes Forecast posted:

No one talking about the latest Black Mesa update at all is a sin.

This is beyond pretty and really well thought out, though I question if the Gonarch stuff needed to be like 3-4 full scale maps worth of chase and fight.

poo poo, Black Mesa Xen just dropped? It's finished now?

I just uninstalled Black Mesa because I needed the disk space back and figured they wouldn't release Xen until 2020 at this point.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

ToxicFrog posted:

poo poo, Black Mesa Xen just dropped? It's finished now?

I just uninstalled Black Mesa because I needed the disk space back and figured they wouldn't release Xen until 2020 at this point.

not 100%. the public beta build goes up to the Gonarch fight, and is a grand total of 9 HUGE maps in it's current form. I'm assuming the rest will be dropping over the next few months, but what's here is rediculously impressive.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Kinda sorta related to this thread... Well the Doom part of this thread but some of you might remember Doom: Rogue-Like I mean! poo poo, DLR of course. Well that game stopped getting updated after a nice chat with Bethesda and it's follow up, Jupiter Hell is out on Steam in EA now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/811320/Jupiter_Hell/

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

Kinda sorta related to this thread... Well the Doom part of this thread but some of you might remember Doom: Rogue-Like I mean! poo poo, DLR of course. Well that game stopped getting updated after a nice chat with Bethesda and it's follow up, Jupiter Hell is out on Steam in EA now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/811320/Jupiter_Hell/

quote:

Rip and tear zombies, demons, and heavy metal monstrosities with chainguns and chainsaws
:hmmyes:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The Gonarch in Half-Life was the first time I could say I killed a spider with an enormous nutsack. I'll have to check out how they've reimagined that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Hopefully, they just went with a generic model of testicles blown up in size.