Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

No one tell this person about the not-insignificant number of men and women both who are VERY into smelly dicks, it might make their head pop off

Mental illness is a serious issue, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dazerbeams posted:

Mental illness is a serious issue, thank you very much.

He didn't mean their heads were literally going to pop off dude

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

which Southern state are these folks located in?

Heavy alcoholism brings to mind the Midwest before the South imo.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I [24M] want to date with my friend [20F] but I don't know what to say or do about it.

quote:

Good afternoon, folks. I usually post on this subreddit whenever I get into some stuff with some from the opposite sex and boy oh boy do I need some advice from random strangers!

Nevertheless, allow me to give you a very good jumping on point so that the story becomes much clearer to everyone who will read it.

As such, the story here begins in October of last year. This month was the month where I acquired my first job at my local movie theater and that is where I am still to this day. Furthermore, this was the month where I met the woman of the story. Let’s call her, Usagi Cool named after Usagi Tsukino from Sailor Moon.

Usagi Cool is someone from my abnormal psych class who sat next to an old friend of mine. Let’s call him Peter Payton. Anyway, I originally did not look at Usagi as a potential friend at that time.

However, when I played my screenwriter card, and she naturally showed some interest in it. Nonetheless, I am always willing to share my art with anyone because I like to show myself out like that. I do believe the seeds were planted from there as I soon discovered that she in fact worked near my place of employment.

It was cool to know that however I did not look at her as someone I would like to talk to because I was quite intimidated by her. She’s an extremely canny and intelligent fellow and because of that I could not come close to her.

Nevertheless, time progressed as the class ended and I did end up seeing her again at Target in early January where I caught up with her and nothing happened until late February. At this time, I was still hung up over someone and I knew that I had to break through and go out and fix the depression.

That day was a Sunday before my shift where I actually went into her workplace and got the digits! That was a great move on my behalf mostly because I did not do things like that before and boom! Just like that!

Subsequently, I actually set up a “date,” with Usagi for that Friday at good ole’ Starbucks.

Yet, as the days counted down to that awesome Friday “date,” I ultimately discovered that she was in relationship with a young man attending her future school here in California. I can break the laws of reality just a bit to tell the story I would like to tell, okay?!

Heartbreak City once again, folks! However, that Starbucks meet-up was the start of a very cool friendship between the two of us. And what transpired from February to May was the foundations of something really cool in my opinion. During this time, I stayed in the shadows, never getting overly emotional over a person I could not get with and in doing so, I do believe I was starting to learn somethings about relationships.

Yay me! Although, things begun to get really odd when we were exchanging texts on May 18th and I will quote on what she said.

“Ahh okay lol Can I talk to you about something?”

“Go ahead and shoot.”

“It’s extremely personal, but I don’t have anyone to talk to. I’m thinking about officially ending it with my boyfriend.”

What followed was me thanking her for coming to me for solace so to speak which I did not mind one bit actually.

However, I do not have those texts anymore and I will basically tell you that it ultimately boiled down to me discovering the insidious deeds of the aforementioned boyfriend. He while the two were testing out the perspective of a possible open relationship status, slept with two other women while at UCLA. Once again, this is my story and I want it to take place in Los Angeles, alright?

Nonetheless, I naturally gave her a texting shoulder to cry upon as she finally went to bed. Soon after, I hung out with her on Saturday before my shift where I told her my piece on the subject because she was betrayed and I know that it is a stupid white knight move but when through with it and she agreed.

The other time was when I took her to go see Captain America: Civil War for my fourth and finally time in theaters. I love my job.

As such, it was cool and I got a hug from her which I do believe was the first time that we gave each other a hug. I broke the touch barrier!

At that time, I thought maybe it was the time to say something but I froze and could not do anything.

Spoiler warning, she ended up getting back with that idiot despite my odd attempts at warning her of the horrible outcome. Needless to say, I did not care anymore as we continued to talk because she is an excellent friend and I usually do enjoy spending time with her.

Everything stayed the same for the most part until this past Friday in which I did my visit before my four-hour shift. I could sense she was uneasy about something when I asked about her plans for the night in which she replied with a “I dunno, I’m going to hang out with someone tonight.” I asked if it was…Assclown I meant “Derek,” and she was mum on that subject.

Before leaving, I gave her a hi-five once again breaking the touch barrier and did my thing for the night. The following morning, I asked her about how she was doing, and I do in fact have the texts so I will quote the following.

“Are you doing okay?” “Sorry if I am being a worrywart but you seem kinda down and vague yesterday.”

“I’m doing pretty okay.” And that’s just because we were busy and my coworker wasn’t much help”

“Oh, Okie dokey pokey,” Nonetheless, as usual if anything is wrong, I’m there unless I have to go save the world or Los Angeles.”

“You’re not going to be happy until you’re at USC”

“Hahahah! But in all seriousness, I do get worried about you, Virgil and others and if I can help, then I will.

“I’ll be fine. I’m dealing with boy trouble and I trouble lol But all in all good. I’m excited about applying to the study abroad trip”

Subsequently, I was a bit curious about what she meant about boy trouble, so I chose to dig deeper and this is what she said.

“It’s cool, I’m just dating”

“Thank you! And I have been there’s 2 guys I’m talking to. But I’m really just interested in being single”

I have not found out who the two men are. Yet if I have to hazard a guess, I do believe that the two men could be Vegeta, her boss or Ichigo, a mutual friend of mine who used to work with me at the movie theater.

Funny thing about last Saturday is that she actually saw a movie with him and I was working during the mid-afternoon shift where I continued the discussion we had with the texts. I got a hug once again and it was a very intense one honestly. During this discussion, I found out that she FINALLY broke up that freakin' joke of a young man!

Or perhaps, I am one of the two?! I really do not know as I have not pressed the issue. I have been talking to her almost every day due to how close we are working distance wise and we chop it up over Snapchat and texts nonstop it seems and I do believe I should separate from her so that I may actually give myself a shot at her.

And now with this "Ichigo" dude, I feel like he is going to make a move very soon and I have to do something about it lest I want to fail yet again.

Though, I want to respect her wishes about staying single. So, what the hell should I do, Reddit? Go after Usagi Cool or stay Mr. Solo Dolo?

tl;dr: been talking with a cool girl, gotten close and now I want to date her but there are problems involved. What should I do?
I hate everything about this OP.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Haifisch posted:

I [24M] want to date with my friend [20F] but I don't know what to say or do about it.

quote:

abnormal psych class

As a student or a subject of study?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Grape posted:

Babies like beer. I took my Dad's beer when I was 2 because I liked it so much.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Haifisch posted:

I gave up around "usagi cool"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mr. Lobe posted:

I gave up around "usagi cool"

right there with you, basically, I skipped to near the bottom, saw there were more anime references and then just gave up completely.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Haifisch posted:

I want to invent a device. It's simple in principle: you can, at any time, reach through the screen and physically interact with the person on another monitor. I want it now, so I can smack the loving bejesus out of this rear end in a top hat.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

MF_James posted:

right there with you, basically, I skipped to near the bottom, saw there were more anime references and then just gave up completely.

Yeah skimming it it's just the usual nice guy story from the lovely dude's perspective but he's also insufferable in a completely different way as well.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

it's like they turned a fedora into a reddit post

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

it's like they turned a fedora into a reddit post

No a fedora theoretically has a practical value. This is the equivalent of the guys smearing their jizz over themselves because they think the pheromones will attract women.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That post is 3 years old. If you check his post history, they got married and are now expecting their first child.

Lol, jk.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I desperately want to believe that no real 24 year old would write like that

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Has that angle ever worked? Do women give out pity fucks to the terminally otaku?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

quote:

Go after Usagi Cool or stay Mr. Solo Dolo?

New thread title plz

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dazerbeams posted:

Has that angle ever worked? Do women give out pity fucks to the terminally otaku?

He's seen it in his animes so it must be true!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

That guy is going to end up on /r/creepyasterisks if he hasn’t already

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dazerbeams posted:

:ssh: There are women who are equally terminally otaku

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've noticed that terminally otaku guys tend to generally be alt-right incel types while terminally otaku ladies tend to be "SJW" lefts. It's a real west side story situation.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

AnoHito posted:

Oh of course, except guys like this never seem to want the women like themselves and would scoff in disgust at the idea.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

To some extent I think they see "being a huge nerd" as acceptable for guys, and totally unacceptable for girls.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Grape posted:

It was more the whole combination of 'I couldn't possibly embarrass my husband in public' along with the 'you let them have communion in church!' line, which is one I hear often in GA.

'Hes a terror when he's angry' as a statement of immutable fact (rather than expecting the person to reign it in) almost makes it Southern Bingo at this point. But hey, totally possible The Midwest also has this type of unfortunately toxic culture ;_;

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I vote midwest because wine in communion is usually a catholic thing, and the midwest is a lot more catholic than the south.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I vote midwest because wine in communion is usually a catholic thing, and the midwest is a lot more catholic than the south.

Unless she off hand mentioned "and he gives my boy extra spicy jamblaya!!!" anyway.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Grape posted:

To some extent I think they see "being a huge nerd" as acceptable for guys, and totally unacceptable for girls.

No, it's that they want 14 year old geek girls with hoohas that smell like berries and cream, have giant boobs, and are happy to ride his dick while he plays games. The idea of an adult woman, with a mind of her own, someone he can't control completely, with a normal body and bodily functions, is a turn-off to them.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Khazar-khum posted:

No, it's that they want 14 year old geek girls with hoohas that smell like berries and cream, have giant boobs, and are happy to ride his dick while he plays games. The idea of an adult woman, with a mind of her own, someone he can't control completely, with a normal body and bodily functions, is a turn-off to them.

This is some of them yes, probably the newer school malicious alt-right variety.
But there is definitely a category of them, the more fedora inclined, who would see nerdiness as not being fitting for a m'lady or some such.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

And even then if they got a girl like that (not 14 more like 19-25) it would be a brag session for a few weeks before the river of complaints about another her putting expectations on him and why can't she just be cool about his video games and anime hobbies.

Think of how many of these posts are from girls who are eventually disgusted by the guy after the initial new relationship phase ends.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A lot of conservative protestant denominations use wine in communion. Given his temper and his toxicity, he sounds Calvinist. Giving a six year old a shot of whiskey and having a horrible temper that she fears? Domestic assault within the year.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

AnoHito posted:

Those aren't women but womanchildren. Womanchilds? Ladybabies? You get the idea.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Grape posted:

This is some of them yes, probably the newer school malicious alt-right variety.
But there is definitely a category of them, the more fedora inclined, who would see nerdiness as not being fitting for a m'lady or some such.
That's because nerdy girls aren't "real" nerds in their eyes. Girls can't be socially shunned the way they were (again, in their minds) and that's the only way to become a "true" nerd.

Also they are afraid--absolutely pants-making GBS threads terrified--of finding a girl who likes video games and is better at them than they are.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Also they are afraid--absolutely pants-making GBS threads terrified--of finding a girl who likes video games and is better at them than they are.

Look how often we've seen that in this thread. Presumably adult men who lose their poo poo if their gf outscores them, or is more popular for gaming than they are.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Heliogabalos posted:

A lot of conservative protestant denominations use wine in communion.

I was raised UCC which is about as liberal as it gets, and we used wine for communion.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Khazar-khum posted:

Look how often we've seen that in this thread. Presumably adult men who lose their poo poo if their gf outscores them, or is more popular for gaming than they are.

I don't lose my poo poo, but it's undeniable that my wife is better at Galaga than I am.

That was my game. :saddowns:

I will have to take solace in literally every other video game ever devised.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Khazar-khum posted:

Was that posted in this thread? The dude that described his ideal woman with some of the descriptors you mentioned.

It might have been in AUG.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm fairly certain I've read it in both threads. No roasties for that man.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I never got communion wine as a child and now I feel like I missed out.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 13, 2019

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

One time in college I drank some Franzia that had been sitting out for a month and it tasted exactly like communion wine

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for being annoyed at my girlfriend for upgrading to Business class?

I couldn't imagine why this girlfriend would need a vacation from dealing with this guy after three weeks of him

I know this is from a few pages back...

But I booked a trip with my partner flying from DEN to ELP on United. The system booked us apart, me in a solo seat on one side of the plane near the back, him in an aisle seat near the front.

He asked if we could change seats to be together. There was that option. I lied and said that option wasn't available and even if it was, it would cost money (it wouldn't).

I'm a semi nervous flier and generally just want to read and listen to music on a plane, not be conversational. He would want to talk. I also really liked the idea of not having anyone next to me. If the dice had rolled differently, I wouldn't have minded, but I felt no want or need to change anything. He's a pretty secure flier. He's also shorter than me. And I paid for both tickets.

SA, AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

blackmet posted:

I know this is from a few pages back...

But I booked a trip with my partner flying from DEN to ELP on United. The system booked us apart, me in a solo seat on one side of the plane near the back, him in an aisle seat near the front.

He asked if we could change seats to be together. There was that option. I lied and said that option wasn't available and even if it was, it would cost money (it wouldn't).

I'm a semi nervous flier and generally just want to read and listen to music on a plane, not be conversational. He would want to talk. I also really liked the idea of not having anyone next to me. If the dice had rolled differently, I wouldn't have minded, but I felt no want or need to change anything. He's a pretty secure flier. He's also shorter than me. And I paid for both tickets.

SA, AITA?

Communicate honestly with your partner? Express needs?