Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Sirtis gradually toned down her accent over the years. She started out mimicking the Greek accent that she grew up with from her parents, and then by the seventh season and the movies, she was just using her London accent.

I don't mind Troi's changing accent. By the time of the movies she had been living most of the last decade of her life with the Enterprise crew and peoples accents and voices do change over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The British accent was telepathic bleed-off from sitting next to Picard all day everyday

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

marktheando posted:

Forgot how angry and shouty Picard was about Data making Lal. Chill out Jean-Luc.

Also lol at Lal's initial form.

Edit- lmao at the huge headed Andorian that is one of her appearance options.

Does... does the Holodeck have carpeting?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

That video of the anecdote Sirtis gives about giving Rick Berman grief about the accent over the series is great.

What video was that?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kazy posted:

It was the 80s. Everything had carpeting.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Senor Tron posted:

I don't mind Troi's changing accent. By the time of the movies she had been living most of the last decade of her life with the Enterprise crew and peoples accents and voices do change over time.

John Barrowman is a good specific example of this happening in real life. Living and working in the UK for a couple decades, his accent went from American to having a kind of Vaguely British affectation. It's most noticeable when you compare Torchwood season 4 with NuWho season 1, which were about 6 or 7 years removed from each other.

skasion posted:

The British accent was telepathic bleed-off from sitting next to Picard all day everyday

This also

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I said come in! posted:

For what its worth we got close to that scene in Star Trek Beyond.

https://youtu.be/w7GBITiXtqI
That's the first time I've gone back and seen JJ Spock since watching Discovery and I'm blown away by how whiny and nasal Spok's voice is. Say what you will about Discovery, at least their Spock had a deep voice.

Beyond was great, and that scene was great, but that voice is super unfortunate.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

What video was that?

I can't find the video but the gist of it was that she couldn't use her real accent because of Patrick Stewart, and her American accent was terrible at the time. So she used this vaguely Greek accent and Rick Berman was like that's the Betazoid accent.
But when Majel Barret appeared as Lwaxana she didn't use that accent and Marina asked Berman why and he said that Troi picked up that accent from her father. Except when Troi's father appeared in one episode, he didn't have that accent either, so when Marina asked Berman about it again, he got mad and said that Troi was sent to a boarding school.
The video does a much better explanation of it than my summary, so it's worth a look if you can find it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But then they had that episode where they went to her boarding school

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SIRTIS: You cast a Belarusian actor who learned the lines phonetically.

BERMAN: Yes.

SIRTIS: How did Deanna pick up this accent from her?

BERMAN: Oh, look at the time! I uh have to return some videotapes...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kazy posted:

In HD it does!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kazy posted:

That poor, poor holodeck janitor.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The holodeck janitor is a bareon radiation sweep

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The holodeck janitor is a bareon radiation sweep

That might sterilize it, but does it remove stuck-on crud? Klingon crud?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Bloop posted:

That might sterilize it, but does it remove stuck-on crud? Klingon crud?

That's was one of O'Brien's jobs. He had to transport that into the replicators so it can be converted into raktojinos. :yum:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

quote:

Voq from Disco season 1

It seemed to me like they changed this halfway through the season even - the mirror universe Voq looks and sounds like a lot less of a knuckle-dragger compared to the one we see in the pilot and first few episodes. L'Rell of course is like this in season two, but I couldn't help feel the second round of Voq had different makeup than the first.

So I'm watching all the way through DS9 and Bareil is dead. I'm not upset about it, in fact I'm glad. Is he an especially popular character making me the rear end in a top hat here?

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 28, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Golden Gael posted:

So I'm watching all the way through DS9 and Bareil is dead. I'm not upset about it, in fact I'm glad. Is he an especially popular character making me the rear end in a top hat here?

Let's put it this way: he's the character the thread title refers to.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Golden Gael posted:

It seemed to me like they changed this halfway through the season even - the mirror universe Voq looks and sounds like a lot less of a knuckle-dragger compared to the one we see in the pilot and first few episodes. L'Rell of course is like this in season two, but I couldn't help feel the second round of Voq had different makeup than the first.

Are you watching it with Mission Log? That’s what they were on last week.

Power through and catch up to Greatest Gen.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

The Golden Gael posted:

The running joke my roommate and I had regarding that episode was that his line delivery didn't change a bit when they replaced his brains with robot bits.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I've been making my way through DS9 for the last while, not in conjunction with any podcast or anything.

But god is Bariel ever plain. He reminds me of Norman from the one Mudd episode.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

The Golden Gael posted:

I've been making my way through DS9 for the last while, not in conjunction with any podcast or anything.

But god is Bariel ever plain. He reminds me of Norman from the one Mudd episode.

Kira's boyfriends are all snoozefests. No chemistry at all. Same could be said for pretty much all Trek relationships though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Shakaar was way more interesting than Bareil but still boring

Fitting because Bajor is boring as poo poo with the exception of Kira.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

skasion posted:

Shakaar was way more interesting than Bareil but still boring

Fitting because Bajor is boring as poo poo with the exception of Kira.

Makes sense in a way. When we first meet Ro Laren we have Picard talking about old the Bajoran civilisation is and their accomplishments, yet they are still at a sub-Federation level of tech.

Turns out they're just utterly dysfunctional.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I don't think we ever got an interesting male Bajoran. Li Nalis was probably the closest, but even he was a bit flat. It's weird, because Kira's cool, Ro's cool, Winn is awful, but still dominates the screen when she's around, but every Bajoran dude was a total non-entity.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The Coup General was a cool guy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was that grumpy old man on the moon that Kira really cared about for a while only to totally forget about the next episode.

And he lost his home for a very good cause that would benefit all of Bajor and never be mentioned after that episode.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Randallteal posted:

Kira's boyfriends are all snoozefests. No chemistry at all. Same could be said for pretty much all Trek relationships though.

Say what you will about the OBriens but at least they had some spice

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Being played by Frank Langella helps a lot.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

The_Doctor posted:

Being played by Frank Langella helps a lot.

Whereas being played by what's his name from wings does not.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Randallteal posted:

Bashir and Garak want a word with you.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

If by cool guy you mean dangerous scheming duplicitous rear end in a top hat. It was a good character though, which is probably what you actually meant anyway.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked the old Bajoran horn player or whatever who was playing the DS9 theme on the promenade, recontextualizing the show's theme song as diagetically an in-universe Bajoran ballad.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I remember thinking that actually really fit. On that instrument, it sounded like something a bajoran would compose.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It made me imagine the TMP theme is something you might catch Spock playing on the harp with Uhura in the mess hall

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I liked the old Bajoran horn player or whatever who was playing the DS9 theme on the promenade, recontextualizing the show's theme song as diagetically an in-universe Bajoran ballad.

What episode is this? I don’t remember it at all

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

skasion posted:

What episode is this? I don’t remember it at all

Varani in the episode Sanctuary(the one with the Skreeans)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was a weird decision to step out of the way to establish the Enterprise in TNG as a ship full of families with children and then double back and establish all the characters as conveniently single so they could freely flirt with anybody passing along.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

(the one with the Skreeans)

Ah, that explains why

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

DS9 sure adjusted that. Sisko and Jake add a lot I think. Keiko and O'Brien are kind of meh. But even Nog adds quite a bit to Sisko's story at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Winn's assistant Solbor was pretty great with how much contempt every word he spoke dripped with