Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shipon posted:

Unfortunately you can't really decouple these two - you're going to get the second happen by virtue of the first being allowed to happen. It's like AirBNB, you can "claim" that you're just renting out spare rooms on your free time but in reality it's going to lead to people buying up condos and renting them out full time. Perhaps you could halt this behavior by making companies only allow people rent out <x> percent of the time or whatever.

There are already regulations in place, legally, about this, and AirBNB itself has that as part of their ToS.

It is, of course, barely enforced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Add some regulation and the problem is solved. When people or companies find loopholes, rewrite the regulation. It's pretty loving simple but the wave of idiot brain ideology that's been and is still sweeping the globe makes the average person think regulation is super bad for everything.

E: also, enforce that regulation.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

JoelJoel posted:

Add some regulation and the problem is solved. When people or companies find loopholes, rewrite the regulation. It's pretty loving simple but the wave of idiot brain ideology that's been and is still sweeping the globe makes the average person think regulation is super bad for everything.

E: also, enforce that regulation.

what, and kill innovation? :smuggo:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
new regulation: private property is banned, workers own everything

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Militant Lesbian posted:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Militant Lesbian posted:

I grew up in the Eastern Bloc in the 1980's. It's incredibly disorienting to find out after all these years that everything the Soviets were telling us about the West was true.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

I grew up in the Eastern Bloc in the 1980's. It's incredibly disorienting to find out after all these years that everything the Soviets were telling us about the West was true.

Would you be willing to make a thread about growing up in the Eastern Bloc? I'm wondering how much of what we (who grew up in the West during the same time period) were told about the Soviet Union is bullshit.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

SamDabbers posted:

Would you be willing to make a thread about growing up in the Eastern Bloc? I'm wondering how much of what we (who grew up in the West during the same time period) were told about the Soviet Union is bullshit.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

I would like to know more.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

An East Meets West thread would be awesome

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1167603934153904135

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tashilicious posted:

There are already regulations in place, legally, about this, and AirBNB itself has that as part of their ToS.

It is, of course, barely enforced.
if it was properly enforced, a bunch of airbnb copycats would probably gain popularity too as landlords split time between them. then you’d get a price comparison aggregator site to join em all back together and you’re back to square one

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SamDabbers posted:

Agreed

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Zeroisanumber posted:

In the old days it was a garbage job that was hard both mentally and physically, but you could support a family of four. These days you can support yourself and a dog as long as the dog doesn't eat much.

That and it had little oversight. It was a good job for a certain type of person. ‘Have your truck at this place at this time and we don’t bother you’ . Undoubtedly, things are much safer because of them , but constant GPS monitoring of routes and speed have made a once supervisor-free job one of the most closely watched. That’s a good thing but just another reason the type of person that would have liked that job is skipping it

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

jesus WEP posted:

if it was properly enforced, a bunch of airbnb copycats would probably gain popularity too as landlords split time between them. then you’d get a price comparison aggregator site to join em all back together and you’re back to square one

Cool. Then rewrite the regulations. Throw around fines. Nationalise and dissolve if you have to.

Cocaine Bear has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Aug 31, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

Cool. Then rewrite the regulations. Throw around fines. Nationalise and dissolve if you have to.

oh word??

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
In Trump country, a group of coal miners rebel over lost jobs, missed paychecks: https://wapo.st/30OBLcn

My favorite part:
"Cumberland is located in Harlan County, where Trump won 85 percent of the vote. But these miners say their fight isn’t a political one. At the camp, there is an informal policy against speaking about Trump or partisan issues, underscoring the president’s continued popularity in areas where the local economy has continued to suffer.

'That is the main reason we have gotten as far as we’ve got now; it’s because we have kept the nonsense down,' Rowe said, referring to the nation’s divisive political debate."

Gonna be straight R tickets, probably even after they're dead from black lung.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tetrabor posted:

In Trump country, a group of coal miners rebel over lost jobs, missed paychecks: https://wapo.st/30OBLcn

My favorite part:
"Cumberland is located in Harlan County, where Trump won 85 percent of the vote. But these miners say their fight isn’t a political one. At the camp, there is an informal policy against speaking about Trump or partisan issues, underscoring the president’s continued popularity in areas where the local economy has continued to suffer.

'That is the main reason we have gotten as far as we’ve got now; it’s because we have kept the nonsense down,' Rowe said, referring to the nation’s divisive political debate."

“Coal will make a comeback, maybe not a big comeback, but it will come back,” Rowe said. “And hopefully these companies will see guys are going to start standing up again.”

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
You're not going to be doing a whole lot of standing up with copd

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

also, coal isn't going to make a comeback

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There is an Eastern Europe thread in dnd.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

steinrokkan posted:

There is an Eastern Europe thread in dnd.

Gross

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tetrabor posted:

My favorite part:

The Dumbest People

It's only "political" if it's negative things said about the status quo. I guarantee you they talk about all kinds of racist poo poo and don't consider it political.

They don't understand how to talk about the issues because they don't even know what an issue is.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also the bit how the mine company went in to the bank accounts and withdrew previously deposited paycheck money.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

etalian posted:

Also the bit how the mine company went in to the bank accounts and withdrew previously deposited paycheck money.

That's pretty amazing. First I've heard of companies clawing back packchecks directly from the bank. These clowns are going to end up with nothing in the end. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the mine just ignores the coal and let's it rot

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

That's pretty amazing. First I've heard of companies clawing back packchecks directly from the bank. These clowns are going to end up with nothing in the end. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the mine just ignores the coal and let's it rot

I'm surprised that the clawback is even legal and how the banks seemed to comply no questions asked.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

As long as the cost of litigation and fines is less than the amount they clawed back then they don't care if it's legal or not.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

etalian posted:

I'm surprised that the clawback is even legal and how the banks seemed to comply no questions asked.

my guess is the paychecks bounced. when you get a check it takes days for it to actually clear, the immediate balance you see in your account is actually effectively a zero percent interest loan. to control the risk of a check bouncing, often banks prevent withdrawal of the full balance until the check actually clears, but if the depositor is trusted, like say a long time big company, maybe the bank will say "no chance this bounces, allow withdrawal of the full amount."

so mechanically what happened is the depositor promised to pay customer X, the bank tells customer X they have all that money when in fact they don't yet, customer wthdraws that money, depositor then says "lol psyke" and then bank goes "lol psyke that check was never real" to the customer.

to the customer, what it looked like was a claw back.

effectively it's the same from a customer perspective though.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tetrabor posted:

My favorite part:

Same Harlan County as the legendary strike documentary? What a waste.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DMCrimson posted:

West VA had a coal mine strikes with shooting and execution of management. Of course the federal government intervened to crush the uprising and even include actions such as bombing the striking miners from air.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Dumbest People

It's only "political" if it's negative things said about the status quo. I guarantee you they talk about all kinds of racist poo poo and don't consider it political.

They don't understand how to talk about the issues because they don't even know what an issue is.
"I'm not political" usually means they've staked out a position, and they just got asked a question about that position and they don't want to answer it. It's generally when they know answering the question would make them look bad. It's said by people who are as deep as a teaspoon to explain away uncomfortable contradictions when you spend more than 10 seconds thinking about it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DMCrimson posted:

It's complicated, as I learned from another Harlan County documentary.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1489428/?ref_=m_nv_sr_1

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

"I'm not political" usually means they've staked out a position, and they just got asked a question about that position and they don't want to answer it. It's generally when they know answering the question would make them look bad. It's said by people who are as deep as a teaspoon to explain away uncomfortable contradictions when you spend more than 10 seconds thinking about it.

They have not embraced the idea that the personal is political, so they hold very strong opinions on basically every political issue but as long as you don't specifically mention a politician or political party or election then it doesn't count as politics.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

canyoneer posted:

It's complicated, as I learned from another Harlan County documentary.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1489428/?ref_=m_nv_sr_1

You'll never leave harlan alive

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

They have not embraced the idea that the personal is political, so they hold very strong opinions on basically every political issue but as long as you don't specifically mention a politician or political party or election then it doesn't count as politics.

Yeah this is what I meant.

etalian posted:

West VA had a coal mine strikes with shooting and execution of management. Of course the federal government intervened to crush the uprising and even include actions such as bombing the striking miners from air.

And they were all racist as gently caress so nothing of value was lost.

Elephant Ambush has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Sep 2, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

And they were all racist as gently caress so nothing of value was lost.

source your quotes

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

source your quotes

Shut up.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Serf posted:

source your quotes

I wonder which perma-banned rereg this is.

It'd be novel if you just let us know out the gate so we can save some time and trouble, look up your rap sheet and figure out why we put you on ignore before you poo poo up the thread.

Gah, sleep deprived and mixed postdate with reg date.

Still dumb.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
A glorious worker revolution that's for whites only is worthless and that's what those people want so gently caress off with the no war but class war poo poo. Giving racists money won't make them less racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Lol wrong thread