Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

I'm amazed this works in America, land of the gun. I assume being a black bouncer would suuuuck.

Not really.

Edit: for more context absolutely no one will gently caress with the big black bouncer who looks like he could snap you in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I assumed it would be a lot of, "I feared for my life! He was coming right at me!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bamhand posted:

I'm amazed this works in America, land of the gun. I assume being a black bouncer would suuuuck.

Typically this kind of confrontation is happening at a close enough range that the average dipshit can't draw fast enough before the bouncer's got him, and you'd better believe they're gonna pounce if they think some rear end in a top hat's going for a weapon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bamhand posted:

I assumed it would be a lot of, "I feared for my life! He was coming right at me!"

If you shoot a bouncer you're not getting in any clubs for the rest of your life.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bamhand posted:

That's......not how America works. It's how the fear mongers would lead you to believe, but it's simply not the average reality.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

That's......not how America works. It's how the fear mongers would lead you to believe, but it's simply not the average reality.

I was going to say it's generally illegal to carry in places that serve alcohol so you don't see armed people getting pissed at the door but then I remembered two years ago when two rappers with a beef ran into each other in the club here and 28 people got shot when their crews went wild west on each other

E1: I misremembered and have corrected

E2: :911:

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 3, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

but then I remembered last year when two rappers with a beef ran into each other in the club here and 15 people got killed when their crews went wild west on each other.

Yes, these things happen. Anywhere. Not just in the US.

But it's not a normal or regular thing, even with the size and population of the country. That's why the events are noteworthy.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Motronic posted:

Once while working as a field technician at a drug store (read: wasn't an employee of the store) I was asked by a (well-dressed/groomed middle-aged white male) customer if I could ring him up at the counter I was working behind. Told him I couldn't, and before I could explain why he responded by pulling his windbreaker aside to reveal a shoulder-holstered revolver while asking me to "come again?"

The implication there being "you'd better answer the way I expect - or else."

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Yes, these things happen. Anywhere. Not just in the US.

But it's not a normal or regular thing, even with the size and population of the country. That's why the events are noteworthy.

I wasn't arguing with you man

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

Once while working as a field technician at a drug store (read: wasn't an employee of the store) I was asked by a (well-dressed/groomed middle-aged white male) customer if I could ring him up at the counter I was working behind. Told him I couldn't, and before I could explain why he responded by pulling his windbreaker aside to reveal a shoulder-holstered revolver while asking me to "come again?"

The implication there being "you'd better answer the way I expect - or else."

Did you call the police and report him for brandishing?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

cumshitter posted:

imagine my surprise when my editor told me Turkish Delight was an actual food and not, like, code for anal.

this changes so much, CS

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

tactlessbastard posted:

Did you call the police and report him for brandishing?

Reported it to the store manager but he was long gone by the time the cops showed up, and they couldn't have cared less about it when they did - never wrote anything down with lots of "uh-huh, yeah, OKs" in the minute and a half they spent listening to me.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 3, 2019

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Geoj posted:

Reported it to the store manager but he was long gone by the time the cops showed up, and they couldn't have cared less about it when they did - never wrote anything down with lots of "uh-huh, yeah, OKs" in the minute and a half they spent listening to me.

I don't want to be that guy who says he was probably a cop, but he really was probably a cop

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't want to be that guy who says he was probably a cop, but he really was probably a cop

Wow, so just because he was brandishing a weapon you automatically assume he's in a gang?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Wow, so just because he was brandishing a weapon you automatically assume he's in a gang?

:drat:

Also, tactlessbastard I didn't think you were. Sorry if I came off that way.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

hawowanlawow posted:

Not sure if this is better or worse from a "don't visit the US unless you want to end up shot or dead" standpoint.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

this changes so much, CS

The scene where the White Witch tempts Edmund with Turkish Delight was partially based on my failed marriage and dead bedroom, both of which I blame on my ex-wife.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

That’s not really brandishing at least according to CA law.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

That’s not really brandishing at least according to CA law.

Your hand needs to be on it and in some places it needs to clear the holster. That incident would normally be charged as menacing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

Your hand needs to be on it and in some places it needs to clear the holster. That incident would normally be charged as menacing.

I guess it depends on the state as well? Although I’m not sure of many states that let you conceal carry with no permit?

It’s not like this country has any uniform gun control laws or anything 🙄.

It’s a little ridiculous TBH.

Anyway it’s fuckin dumb.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Scathach posted:

If her son had been taking real medication instead of fake "natural" poo poo for his depression maybe he would be alive. That lady is a big ole oval office that needs some serious therapy (but won't get it because of TOXINS!!! and will probably amass hoard of crystals and angel tarots in the next five years.)

Maybe encouraging weed smoking?? Doubtful

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I’ve been searching and searching, anyone know where I can find the story of the guy who’s been married a long time, and wants a new wedding band because his old one was embarrassing? Dragons and flames or something.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

/R/relationships is ok but have you SEEN /r/insaneparents? That's where the good poo poo is.

quote:

my mum is abusing our brand new security system
No text, only an image...

Coredump fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 4, 2019

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
People who carry guns everywhere are the last people I trust with guns.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

quote:

My parents force me to update everything I do to them and verbally abuse me if I don't. They wonder where the depression came from.

quote:

Parent with serious control issues. I didn’t do anything wrong and I get this message out of the blue.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 4, 2019

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

last one sounds like they might stay up all night playin vidya games

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

It's summer. Who gives a gently caress if a kid stays up all night playing video games? That's like the only respite kids have between the terrible and torturous years of school.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A lot of schools are back in session but I agree with you if it’s summer.

Some parents are just dicks.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I'm posted in the club with holes on my shoes, got the most teeth of any hobo here, asking the girls I had flings with when they were 19 to buy me drinks

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

cumshitter posted:

My (33) physically and mentally capable mother (62) has stopped adulting

This sounds like my old neighbor who had traumatic brain injury. How can suddenly not being able to care for oneself not be some sort of medical problem? Yeah, it was supposedly gradual, but, still.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

All my shoes have holes in them, how else are you supposed to put them on

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

MarcusSA posted:

A lot of schools are back in session but I agree with you if it’s summer.

Some parents are just dicks.

Man summer went fast :smith: Schools in my area go back on Thursday and the leaves are already doing the yellow thing.

It's funny, I thought helicopter parents were bad when I was a kid but at least none of them had cameras all over the house. Like I instantly think anyone with cameras all over the inside of a non-rich and famous mansion is a nutjob.

E: also the person with the mom showing obvious signs of dementia/dementia compensation is an idiot. I work with dementia patients and everything dude says is indicating she needs to see a doctor for a diagnosis... I mean, there isn't treatment but at least they can tell the family what to expect. If you have quickly growing memory issues in an older person, it's likely depression. If you have slowly growing memory/ability issues it's likely dementia. Most people will have more than one type of dementia present and symptoms can vary.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 4, 2019

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I learned a little about Italy today

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

/R/relationships is ok but have you SEEN /r/insaneparents? That's where the good poo poo is.

And to think I once went 7 months straight without seeing or speaking to either of my parents when I was 17.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Scathach posted:

It's funny, I thought helicopter parents were bad when I was a kid but at least none of them had cameras all over the house. Like I instantly think anyone with cameras all over the inside of a non-rich and famous mansion is a nutjob.

It’s incredibly unhealthy to raise a child in that environment as well.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Araenna posted:

I read something like that recently. My mom doesn't speak Italian (her father refused to teach them because of discrimination or the like), but does pronounce the words she knows (mostly food) in a regional dialect. It was cool to learn about where it came from.

She says MOOTZ-AH-REY-AH!
doesn't she.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

It’s incredibly unhealthy to raise a child in that environment as well.

I can't imagine dealing with that and the severe anxiety I had as a kid. I already felt like I was constantly being watched/judged. Cameras would have hosed me up.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What about the kid who has to update their parents every 15 minutes. I can't even imagine.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Coredump posted:

This made me immediately tense up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

She says MOOTZ-AH-REY-AH!
doesn't she.

Mootz-ah-rell gabagool and rih-gort.