Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Coaaab posted:

Well, the reasonable assumption is that the guy is bigger than the girl and could more damage to her than she could do to him, especially when you mix anger into the equation

It's been pointed out, but since you quoted me...that shouldn't matter really. We have absolutely no information other than a slap happened (we don't know how hard, where or what the physical makeup of either of them are), so saying anything other than it was a lovely thing to do is taking some liberties. He should definitely be seeking therapy and should cover what lead to physical violence in those sessions.

Blade Runner posted:

He's definitely garbage for hitting her, but acting like he's a serial abuser because he did it after she cheated on him twice is kinda silly

Like, you should never hit your partner unless you are actually in danger and it's self defense, but hitting her after that doesn't mean he's necessarily done it before

Anyway my take is that if you "can't live without" somebody in a literal sense, perhaps cheating on them multiple times is a bad choice

Yeah, that's where I'm super confused at so many people continuing to blame him...it was entirely reasonable for him to break up with her and she clearly didn't care enough to not cheat on even after getting caught once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Is that actually enough protein for a human being for the entire day? I mean that's basically what they give you on a crappy airline

yeah, nuts are super high in calories, fat, and protein. food charities use specially packaged peanut butter as an immediate food source to alleviate famine. you wouldn't want to live off it though unless you are actually starving or your guts have been afflicted by a witches curse

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Ouhei posted:

It's been pointed out, but since you quoted me...that shouldn't matter really. We have absolutely no information other than a slap happened (we don't know how hard, where or what the physical makeup of either of them are), so saying anything other than it was a lovely thing to do is taking some liberties. He should definitely be seeking therapy and should cover what lead to physical violence in those sessions.
Okay, you're right that the available facts are what us rubberneckers should stick to when analyzing the situation at arm's length. So what we do know is that 1) he slapped her in a moment of rage and 2) he felt bad enough about it that he openly confessed to that act to bunch of strangers online. So yes, the guy at the very least should get some help.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

La Brea Carpet posted:

I want to break up with my bf because of his severe nut allergy

Also, I'm willing to just gobble down a bunch of nuts in one sitting, brush my teeth several times, clean any surfaces I might have contaminated with nut residue, and not touch him for a few hours so that he doesn't get a reaction. It might even be easy to do that since we're studying different majors and as a result, wouldn't see each other 9-5. After that, our jobs would keep us apart throughout the day.

When the best solution to saving your relationship is to spend the least amount of time as possible together it's time to end it. "Studying different majors" is irrelevant when the conversation you're having is about marriage and beyond.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rubellavator posted:

I take issue with you putting them both on the same level here.

That's okay. I didn't say they were the same tier of poo poo, just going by the YTA/NAH/NTA, etc. categories. Dunno if we can meaningfully compare levels of emotional vs physical abuse from the one-sided slapper's account, though.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Dienes posted:

I had sympathy until he hit her.

You're a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Hobo Clown posted:

When the best solution to saving your relationship is to spend the least amount of time as possible together it's time to end it. "Studying different majors" is irrelevant when the conversation you're having is about marriage and beyond.

I think a big issue is that a lot of people think someone has to be in the wrong for a breakup to happen, because they mostly run on inertia and they expect that something has to come up to stop that

That's why she puts the blame on him for his allergies instead of acknowledging her own more, why she can't fathom just saying "well it's lovely but we don't really have a choice, see ya", and why a lot of people stay in failing relationships with morons. Hell, it's even the big reason why a lot of people think relationship court is a thing, where "no you can't break up with me" or "well yeah I don't like them anymore but..." comes up.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

gonna slice through the epistemological fog here and suggest that for our purposes we can conclude the serial cheater who used her suicide to take a final swipe at her ex is probably "the bad guy"

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pinecone Sample posted:

My Husband [39M] knows about my [36F] 6 month long affair but hasn't told me. What can I do?

This one is almost certainly another painful example of some wackadoo MRA jerkoff cuckold fantasy.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

thatguy posted:

lasagna is nothing more than slop laid down in lifts and then thrown in an oven, it's garbage food for garbage people. Also permesan and ricotta are dogshit

What a sad post.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Grape posted:

What a sad post.

Are you kidding? It's the hot take equivalent of throwing down a glove. It's beautifully crafted to cause a screaming, stupid argument.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

gonna slice through the epistemological fog here and suggest that for our purposes we can conclude the serial cheater who used her suicide to take a final swipe at her ex is probably "the bad guy"

Ugh, I didn't even think about that, it really was one last middle finger to the guy

Being an rear end in a top hat from beyond the grave

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dienes posted:

I had sympathy until he hit her.

I know right, she dodged a bullet getting out when she did.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I dont like to judge people who have had the emotional equivalent of having a train run over them not once, but twice, for not responding perfectly. I think reducing what happened to just him being angry and hitting her is bullshit and ignorant of the context. If he had confessed to beating her or if it were a frequent thing in their relationship I'd probably be calling him just as lovely. As it stands, hes probably going to need lots of therapy and hes probably going to have severe trust issues. Domestic abuse is wrong but I have an extremely hard time qualifying what he did as abuse when hes so clearly the one being abused here.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Care and Feeding - My Friend Equates Her Stepmom Experience With My Natural Motherhood and It Drives Me Crazy

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

I’ve been friends with Nicole since childhood. She’s been married to Joe for the past seven years. He has custody of his 13-year-old son from a previous marriage, and he lives with them full time except for every other weekend. He’s a great kid.

Nicole has really taken to being a stepmom. She never wanted biological kids, and still doesn’t, but her generosity toward Joe’s son is admirable: She reads lots of advice books and supports her stepson in so many ways.

However: I am expecting my first child, and Nicole keeps equating my motherhood with being a stepmom. She keeps trying to give me advice and platitudes about parenthood. Nicole has a lot of experience, but I don’t think our situations are the same. I’m getting ready to bring a baby from my body into the world, which is something she hasn’t experienced. While she stepped up to stepparent, and is doing great at it, I don’t think it is the same as being a birth mother.

She has said things before in front of other friends that frustrated them and made them think she was drawing an equivalency between being a stepmom and a mom. The problem is that Nicole can be really touchy and temperamental, so while I would love to politely tell her to back off with the mom platitudes, I instead just distance myself. I always thought she would be like an extra aunt to my baby. What can I do?

—Just a Regular Mom

quote:

Dear JaRM,

There are certain experiences—getting married, having a child—that are so special that we confuse the issues and believe that they make us special. Having a child, however wonderful and magical that experience is, does not make you unique.

I’ve read and reread your letter so many times. I wonder whether or not you have? My advice: You’ve written this letter and gotten something off your chest. Now let the matter go. Don’t confront Nicole about this. Don’t think about this anymore. Maybe most importantly: Don’t think this way anymore.

Maybe someday, after you “bring a baby from your body into the world,” you’ll have the perspective to realize that you’re not being a very generous friend to someone you’ve known for most of your life. Maybe you’ll chuckle at what a know-it-all you were, certain that a mere stepmom would have nothing to teach you about being a mom. Maybe you’ll be sheepish about the irony in asserting that your friend is “touchy and temperamental” when you’ve written this very touchy letter.

For your sake, I hope that’s the case. If none of that comes to pass, for Nicole’s sake, I hope she decides she doesn’t want to be a mere “extra aunt” to your child and finds some more respectful friends.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Dear Prudence and Dear Wendy - My friend is getting married just for the bachelor party!

quote:

My friend is getting married, and I am worried that he doesn’t grasp the magnitude of the commitment he’s making. He’s Greek, so his attitude on marriage may not be the same as mine, but of even greater concern is the possibility that he’s only going through with it because he wants us to throw him a bachelor party. My friend has always loved a guys’ night out—”bro time,” as he calls it—and as many of the guys in our friend group have married or entered serious relationships, these parties happen less frequently. The rest of us are comfortable inviting our wives and girlfriends for a night on the town, but he wants it to be all guys. Bachelor parties are one of the only times he gets his way, and he loves them. He’s down for anything; strippers, cocaine, grab-rear end, you name it. And he’s always pressing his friends on when they’re going to get married because he wants another party. He’s running out of single friends, so it almost seems like he took the plunge and got engaged just because it was the only way to bring about another bachelor party. I actually asked him directly if this was the case, and he said it was “honestly a big part” of the decision. I worry that this is bound to be a disaster. Will he even want to go through with the wedding after the bachelor party? Even worse, will he want a divorce after a few years without an all-guy blowout so he can have another one? I feel like maybe I should explain this to his fiancée, but I worry that it wouldn’t be my place. She’s trying to finish school, and I worry that a shock like this might throw her completely off course. What should I do?

Prudie:

quote:

I think you have plenty to talk about with your friend here without bringing his Greekness into it, so let’s go ahead and set that particular topic to the side for now. Are you comfortable with a strippers-and-cocaine, anything-goes bachelor party? If so, fine; if not, talk to him about why you won’t be able to make an appearance. If you’re really close with him and you’re this concerned that he’s only marrying this woman so he can have a blowout all-boys party, ask him about it before you worry about trying to talk to his fiancée. But these are questions you should be asking him first, not her.

Wendy:

quote:

It absolutely is not your place to tell Chris’ fiancée that you suspect Chris only wants to marry her so he can have a bachelor party. The truth is, it isn’t even necessarily the bachelor party Chris wants; he simply wants some “bro time.” For the love of God, give your friend some bro time. It’s nice that all the guys in your friend group are happy inviting their wives and girlfriends to always join in the planned get-togethers, but it would also be nice for all of you to have some guys-only get-togethers once or twice a year. Have a drat bro weekend in Vegas or Miami once a year. If that’s too much, pick a night to go out locally and hit the town. Plan the kind of bachelor party all of you might want (or at least that Chris might want), tell everyone when and where to show up, no significant others allowed, call it Chris’ birthday party, and everyone is responsible for paying his own way plus Chris’ expenses. Tell him next year and every year after that he should organize his own birthday party, and he can plan whatever he wants to do with his bros (no significant others allowed). All you bros will show up for him and you’ll enjoy your time together and you’ll also be reminded why you only need to do this once or twice a year and you’ll feel a renewed gratitude for your life and Chris will be satisfied in his bro time for another six to twelve months and it will be great for everyone, no sham marriage — or divorce needed. (And, obviously, no one in the friend group should do something he’s uncomfortable with, whether that be strip clubs, cocaine, or getting married).

P.S. His being Greek has nothing to do with his attitude on marriage or his wanting to hang with his bros.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Dear Wendy - My Bio Family Doesn’t Accept My Lesbian Stepmother

quote:

I grew up as an only child of a single mother in a tight-knit and somewhat conservative community in Michigan. My mother was a gold-digger, irresponsible, and kinda slutty. Don’t get me wrong; I loved her. She took care of me the best she could and I appreciate everything she did for me, but that’s who she was: a gold-digger. She chased men with money all her life, even if they had families of their own. She wrecked many homes because she hosed the husbands. It’s actually how I came into the world; at age 25 she hosed her 57-year-old boss who was married with three teenage kids of his own. He later left his wife for her and they married briefly. They got divorced when I was three years old and she got enough money out of the divorce to get us to a nice home in a nice area.

My biological father took his own life within a few months of the divorce. His company was going bankrupt, he had lost most of his assets and hard-earned money in two draining divorces, and, most importantly, he had lost his family and kids from his previous marriage. It was a tight-knit community and I grew up hearing all this nasty stuff about how my slutty mom destroyed a good man and a good family. It used to get to me and it kinda shaped how I still feel about myself and my mom. My mother, on the other hand, never gave a poo poo about what people thought of her. She was an attractive woman who never had a hard time attracting attention from men. Even with a kid and a not-so-good reputation, she found one rich lover after another. They were mostly married men when they met her. My mother remarried three more times. Her longest marriage lasted about five years.

Anyway, in her forties, my mom fell in love with a woman. Her new lover (Nicole), who moved in with us after only a few months, was also in her forties and gave up her cat for me (I’m allergic to cats). Nicole also had joint custody of her daughter (Kate) who is five years younger than I am. So, Kate also lived with us every other week. I was almost 16 back then, and I was disgusted by my mom’s new relationship. I think I made them live through hell with my rude behaviors and tantrums. But Nicole turned out to be the best thing that happened to us. She brought some discipline and positive change into our house. And she loved my mother deeply and turned her into a decent person. Together they started a successful catering business, and we became financially stable. It took me two years to realize that Nicole was in it for the long haul. Believe me, I seized every opportunity to test her patience and will, but she always showed me love and respect, even when I didn’t deserve any. She was my north star in high school. She empowered me to take the SATs and studied with me, read my college applications, and pushed me to applyto college. She also helped me get my driving license. My mother died in 2016 at age 50, and I believe the last nine years of her life were the happiest because of Nicole.

Now let’s get to the real problem. A couple of months ago, I tried to contact my half-sister from my biological father’s family. To my surprise, she was delighted to meet me. She knew my mother had died and it was my understanding that the family didn’t want anything to do with my mother and hence with me. But once she was out of the picture, they were willing to welcome me into the family because, like my sister put it, “after all, I’m still their blood.” I was invited to a couple of gatherings, and I felt really good about becoming a part of the family. I learned recently that they don’t approve of the presence of Nicole in my life. I still maintain a very close relationship with both Nicole and her daughter Kate who is in college now. I consider them to be my family, even though Nicole and my mom never married, and I know I will always have a place in Nicole’s home. I tried to explain all that to my biological sister, but for them Nicole is a lesbian that can’t be family.

Last week, my biological sister stopped by at my new apartment and was surprised to find Nicole helping me finish settling in. She told me later that no one from her family will be setting foot in my house, nor will I ever be invited to any family functions until I decide what I want. She told me they have nothing specifically against Nicole and they don’t even know her, but they don’t approve of homosexuality and they want me to start my life over with no traces from my or my mother’s past.

I really, really want to feel like a normal person for once — someone who is not shunned and rejected by one’s family. I keep thinking what if I become a parent one day. I don’t want my kids to grow up like I did, not knowing their extended family. I’d like them to have blood-related uncles, aunts, and cousins and to be accepted by everyone. But Nicole, even though not related to me by blood, was the one who accepted me when no one else did. She became a family for me and my mom when we had no one on our side. Choosing her will mean cutting all ties for once and all with this cruel tight-knit community that always rejected me. And I’m afraid that one day I will come to regret my decision. What do you think? — Wanting a Family

quote:

You would absolutely regret cutting out the only family you have for a bunch of bigots who don’t care about you. And make no mistake about it: Your biological family on your dad’s side does not care about you. If they did, they wouldn’t require you to give up all ties to your mother, to cut out the one person who’s loved you unconditionally since she entered your life, and to “start your life over with no traces of your past.” What a bunch of bull poo poo!

You may no longer be the disrespectful teenager you were when Nicole entered your life, but you still sound ungrateful for everything she’s contributed to your life if you’d even consider cutting ties with her in a painfully short-sighted effort to join a family who has such strict conditions for your inclusion. Family isn’t defined by blood and DNA. If it were, you would have known your half-siblings from the time you were born. Rather, family is defined by consistently showing up for each other. Family helps get you settled into a new home, brings you chicken soup when you’re sick and a bottle of champagne when you get a promotion. Family opens their homes to you and the person or people you love, regardless of sexual orientation, race, gender, or political affiliation. Family cheers you on when you race to a finish line and mourns with you when you grieve a loss. A family provides for each other: love; care; warmth; guidance; patience; and understanding. By these definitions, Nicole has been more family to you than anyone else alive, while your “blood relatives” have been and done nothing familial toward you at all. You would be a fool to toss what you have with Nicole and Kate.

Furthermore, you seem to think your biological father was some innocent guy who was minding his own business when your slutty mom came and tricked him into leaving his family for her. He is completely, 100% responsible for his participating in the affair he had with your mother. Was your mother perfect? Of course not. She was wrong to pursue married men, but they were the ones who were committed to other women. THEY were the ones who chose to gently caress over their families. And for all you know, your father’s marriage was already on the rocks when your mother came along. Men who are very happily married and satisfied don’t usually leave their spouses just because someone pretty gives them some attention. The narrative you believe because it’s the one you’ve always heard in your “tight-knit and somewhat conservative community” is wrong. The narrative that all these rich, married men were hoodwinked by your slutty, home-wrecking mother is so misogynistic and patronizing. Like those men didn’t have a choice! Like they didn’t know how much they were risking, how much they were hurting their wives and family, how much they were throwing away. They knew and they didn’t care and they did it anyway because they were far from perfect — maybe much further from perfect than your mother who was damned not only by a whole community, but by the son she did so much for.

And then came Nicole who saw past the reputation, who didn’t buy into some stupid narrative because she defied stupid narratives, too. Nicole also saw past all your teenage angst and bravado and loved you unconditionally as she, your mom, you, and Kate built a family together. You HAVE a family, you idiot. Don’t you see? And if you get married one day, Nicole will be prouder and happier than she could be if you were her biological child. If you have children one day, she will love them like grandchildren. And you and your spouse will blend your families and give your children a network of extended relatives, and it won’t matter who is blood-related and who isn’t. What will matter then is what matters now and what will matter forever: who the gently caress shows up and who accepts you for exactly who you are, without conditions and without demands. You are so lucky to have that even despite losing both parents too young. Don’t throw away genuine family for a fake one. It would be one of the biggest mistakes you could ever make.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

La Brea Carpet posted:

I want to break up with my bf because of his severe nut allergy

conduct the relationship through clear plastic sheeting

when you want to have children fast for 48 hours and then pass a vial of chilled semen through the aperture

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

VanSandman posted:

Are you kidding? It's the hot take equivalent of throwing down a glove. It's beautifully crafted to cause a screaming, stupid argument.

What a sad post.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

conduct the relationship through clear plastic sheeting

when you want to have children fast for 48 hours and then pass a vial of chilled semen through the aperture

Their child would surely die from only being able to consume nuts but also being highly allergic to nuts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xik posted:

Ten hours to make a lasagna? Did he grow the loving wheat himself or what?

Lasagna always feels like it takes a lot of time to me mainly because what it actually takes is resource management. Different layers repeating so you can't just prepare one at a time, it's a meal that takes over my kitchen and uses most of the bowls I own. And then, just as icing on the cake, I get to clean most of the bowls I own. Ricotta cheese sets like cement in about ten seconds.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

thatguy posted:

lasagna is nothing more than slop laid down in lifts and then thrown in an oven, it's garbage food for garbage people. Also permesan and ricotta are dogshit

Go to hell :colbert:

E also hitting Nazis is fine and good. Never say never when it comes to beating Nazis.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 4, 2019

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sunswipe posted:

The ex's friends and family acting like that is understandable, but the guy's mother blaming him for breaking up with a cheat? Really sorry it's taken until now to realise his mother is garbage.

Yeah, so he was "worth committing suicide over" but not "worth not loving other guys for"? Thanks mum.

Ed: too many nots

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 4, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, that's where I'm super confused at so many people continuing to blame him...it was entirely reasonable for him to break up with her and she clearly didn't care enough to not cheat on even after getting caught once.

Everything is still extremely raw right now and 6-12 months later things will be better, the OP will know who in his life is worth keeping around (one guy who stood up for him) and who isn't (his own mother).

Like, what is the narrative later? They badmouth him that he drove her to suicide over not forgiving her repeated infidelities? There aren't many stories less likely to generate sympathy then that. I'm sure the repeated cheating won't be the lead of the story but it's hard to explain in any capacity without most normal people thinking the guy wasn't at fault.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for the update where it turns out the parents lied about the suicide so they could say, "You sure sound glad she's not dead maybe you should get back together."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Why exactly do peanut and tree nut allergies occur together like that? The two have nothing in common.

It's not about biological origin, it's about protein structure. I don't have the expertise to parse the jargon for specifics, but apparently peanuts and tree nuts are similar in that respect so if your body reacts to one of them, it's quite possible for them to react to the other one.

Outside of a biological "true" allergy, there's also the cross-contact issue. The same way you don't put a tomato in a fruit salad (aside from salsa which is delicious) you are much more likely to have peanuts around tree nuts than with other legumes such as peas. A lot of folks who are allergic to one avoid the other because it takes out the most common cross-contact vector. I grew up in the 80s and 90s when awareness of allergies and how to accommodate them was just coming into the popular consciousness, and every month the allergy newsletter we got would have more warnings of candy bars doing recalls or changing their labeling because their nut-free ones were made on the same equipment as the nut ones. I avoided all nuts and chocolate back then, and though manufacturing has gotten much better in the last 30 years chocolate still smells like death to me from association.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm always wary of these sob stories where people talk about the meal that totally took them 10 hours to make. The most ridiculous dishes I'll ever make are more in the 3-hour range and of that 3 hours probably 2 of them are just waiting around between steps rather than actively doing something.

I just can't imagine someone actively playing a Sims cooking animation for 10 hours to make loving lasagna outside of loving it up and doing it over multiple times.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

cumshitter posted:

I can't wait for the update where it turns out the parents lied about the suicide so they could say, "You sure sound glad she's not dead maybe you should get back together."

I wouldn't be shocked if they lied to him about the content of the suicide note.

Somehow they manage to blame him for the suicide and still not slap him a few times out of anger. So I actually feel bad for them. JK, they, too, are being lovely. Everyone in this story is lovely.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Some content:

My (f 26) husband (m 29) is okay with our son (4) hitting me so hard I bruise.

quote:

I’m really upset right now because my husband is being a terrible father and a terrible husband. I love him but I really think this is ridiculous and I don’t know what to do.

My husband can be mean to me and our son is starting to mimic this. My husband doesn’t abuse me but he does have a temper and sometimes he loses it on me. He’ll yell at me and refer to me as “woman” or “bitch”. My son is really sweet and it’s not his fault, he’s just doing what he sees. He’s really not a bad kid.

But last night my son kicked me so hard that I have a huge bruise on my leg. All because he didn’t want to go to bed. I do bruise easily but still it was really painful. My husband came home from a business trip this evening and I showed him. And he told me, “you should have gave my son what he wanted”. This is really hypocritical of him because my husband has zero patience when our son does something he doesn’t like. But I’m supposed to just let him have everything he wants?

I asked my husband how he could say that and he told me that if I can’t handle my son when he’s not home than I’m a bad mother. And then he went to go see our son and shower him in praise and affection. And he decided to encourage my son to do it again because he asked him, “did you kick mommy?” and laughed when my son told him yes.

I don’t know what to do. Of course it’s not the first time my husband has acted like this. I don’t know what to do. He makes me feel really bad sometimes. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I [27M] talk in my sleep and my wife [25F] thinks I'm having an affair

quote:

My wife and I are married for 6 years. I've always talked in my sleep since I was a kid. If she tries to talk to me then I'll answer but won't be aware of it later and my answers don't always make sense. I will also start talking randomly. Sometimes about a dream I'm having, but I don't always remember the dream when I wake up so I don't always even have context for what I said when she asks me later. I've done this since I was a kid and my wife is well aware of it.

Three weeks ago wife is mad at me except this time I don't remember doing anything. She keeps saying nothing is wrong but she is being very cold to me and something is clearly bothering her. After a while she tells me that the things I was saying about her best friend was very inappropriate and she's disgusted and she thought she knew me better. I have no idea what she's talking about and ask her when this was and she says last night and I'm trying to tell her that I have no idea but she won't believe me. I'm telling her I don't think of her friend like that but then I fall for a bad trap and she says 'so you don't think friend is attractive' and I thought I was being nice and said yes but then she gets really pissed and starts yelling 'so you do want to f*ck her!' This goes on a while and I finally convince her that I have no idea what I said or anything. I don't remember a dream, I don't remember talking with her the night before. Nothing new happened with her friend that I can remember that would have trigger this. She confronted her friend also but her friend of course said nothing was going on between us so now my wife thinks her friend is lying also.

My wife is now convinced that she can ask me questions in my sleep and that it must be a truth effect and whatever I say is what I'm really thinking. This last week she decided she will have conversations with me asking me questions about her friend or other women or herself while I'm asleep. She has recorded conversations and played them back for me later and saying this MUST be how I really feel. She asks really leading questions like 'so and so's tits are really nice don't you think' and even if I say no then she keeps talking about it until I say yes and then she gets pissed and says she knew she was right. She says she would never say that about some guy's dick so she knows I must be telling the truth when I say I like that woman. Which I could almost believe except some people she has asked about I REALLY am not attracted to at all so I know this isn't just lowering my inhibitions to talk. This is my freaking dreams and I have no control over them and even less when she is trying to make me say things.

She knows I talk in my sleep. I've done it the whole time we have been together. It made for funny conversations between us before. I'm trying to calm her down but she keeps insisting this is how I really feel even though I know it isn't. She is convinced I'm cheating, but it doesn't even make sense. Why would I say anything? Why would I talk about multiple people? When would I have done this? Why wouldn't I just admit to it when I'm awake? She sounds like a conspiracy person and has ridiculous answers for everything and I can't convince her. This is just so stupid but I'm lost on what to do. I'm getting blamed for something I didn't do and I don't even want to sleep anymore. I'm losing my drat mind honestly.

TL;DR: talked in my sleep about my wife's friend. wife insists I want to have an affair.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dienes posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if they lied to him about the content of the suicide note.

Somehow they manage to blame him for the suicide and still not slap him a few times out of anger. So I actually feel bad for them. JK, they, too, are being lovely. Everyone in this story is lovely.

Well he only made her kill herself once, not twice.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
My (f 26) fiancé (m 28) is mad that his four year old son is calling me mommy.

quote:

My fiancé and I have been together three and a half years. We have a one year old son together and he has another son who lives with us. His son’s mother died not long after he was born. When I met him, his son was living with his grandmother, but she was really having trouble handling taking care of a baby. I don’t think he noticed this but I did right away. I really fell in love with this baby so I convinced him to let us take him. And I’ve raised him since then. I do everything for him just like I do for my baby. My baby has now been calling me “mama” for a couple months. And my fiancé’s son has caught on to this and has started calling me “mama” too. My fiancé is infuriated. Every time his son calls me that and he hears he snaps at him “she’s not your mother”. He tells me all the time “don’t let him call you mom”. And I don’t know what to do. It’s really confusing to my fiancé’s son and I don’t see the harm in him calling me mom. I have been his mother in every way since he was six months old. I guess I do understand why it might upset him but he’s taking it really hard. He will literally yell if he hears it. I don’t know what I should do, but I really need advice. I feel terrible.

It always astonishes me how quickly men jump into another serious relationship after being widowed compared to how long it takes women. Dad really needs to :therapy:

I made my stepmom cry by mentioning her dead son.

quote:

I(16M)take Zoloft everyday. My stepmom really hates it, every time she sees me taking it she starts ranting about how it’s a poison and I should treat my illness with “natural remedies”.

Her son overdosed on some pills 5 years ago, that’s why she’s so sensitive about them I guess, but I had enough already, I couldn’t take 45 minute lectures everyday about how I’m putting poison in my body. She tried to hide it(medicine) too multiple times.

Yesterday was one of those days, she saw me taking it in kitchen. Started ranting again, offering me some natural remedies because these pills could really hurt me. I told her “you should’ve told that to your son, leave me alone”. She froze and went upstairs. That afternoon my dad talked to me, he told me that what I said was extremely disrespectful,she cried for hours and I should just put up with it for sake of them and respect both of them.

:drat: Kid is stone cold.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Slapping your partner is a bad thing.

Therefore, the person who did a bad thing is 100% deserving of any and all other bad things that happen to him. You see all bad things are equal, and once you do a bad thing you deserve all other bad things, up to and including your mother blaming you for the death of the person who hurt you more than anything else in the world. We, the perfect people of this thread who have never done a bad thing, cannot ever allow ourselves any sympathy for something that has happened to a person who ever did a bad thing.

So anyways is it clear whether Lasagna boyfriend made the pasta noodles from scratch as well? Still shouldn't take 10 hours but if he combined flour and water and rolled it out and cut it that's a pretty decent amount of work, and buying a lasagna maid like that at a restaurant would probably cost more than whatever watch she bought. If it's just, oh I boiled the dried noodles then lol.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Six Brown Chicks have six really good questions this week. I'm particularly fond of 1 and 2.

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1169291418269114373

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1169291421116968962

https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1169291423075770369

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Dienes posted:

Some content:
I [27M] talk in my sleep and my wife [25F] thinks I'm having an affair

What are the odds we get "UPDATE: Turned out my wife was the one having an affair"? Is it over 50% for this one?

Chairman Mao
Apr 24, 2004

The Chinese Communist Party is the core of leadership of the whole Chinese people. Without this core, the cause of socialism cannot be victorious.

Rubellavator posted:

I dont like to judge people who have had the emotional equivalent of having a train run over them not once, but twice, for not responding perfectly. I think reducing what happened to just him being angry and hitting her is bullshit and ignorant of the context. If he had confessed to beating her or if it were a frequent thing in their relationship I'd probably be calling him just as lovely. As it stands, hes probably going to need lots of therapy and hes probably going to have severe trust issues. Domestic abuse is wrong but I have an extremely hard time qualifying what he did as abuse when hes so clearly the one being abused here.

Um actually he could have easily killed her dead on the spot with a single mighty slap so it’s him that’s the bad person here.

TheAardvark posted:

What are the odds we get "UPDATE: Turned out my wife was the one having an affair"? Is it over 50% for this one?

It’s 100%

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Update on the grounded adult.

quote:

UPDATE: i did not have access to my phone so please excuse the delayed update. thank you for the overwhelming response to my query. Some comments were constructive and others,,,,, not so much. One person in my messages even threatened to decapitate me.

To those asking where I am from/what culture I am, Im from New Jersey (U.S.A.)

Through my punishment i realized learned my lesson. I talked things through with my wife and in-laws and we agreed that I was way out of line in interrupting dinner. We agreed that I will take steps to be a better boy and improve my behaviour.

As a side note, I told this story to my younger brother and he hates my in laws now.

I will take steps to be a better boy.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hellblazer187 posted:

Therefore, the person who did a bad thing is 100% deserving of any and all other bad things that happen to him. You see all bad things are equal, and once you do a bad thing you deserve all other bad things, up to and including your mother blaming you for the death of the person who hurt you more than anything else in the world. We, the perfect people of this thread who have never done a bad thing, cannot ever allow ourselves any sympathy for something that has happened to a person who ever did a bad thing.

Its really telling when a person acts like "not hitting people even when you're really, really mad at them" is some sort of impossible, unattainable hurdle to clear in life.

DemoneeHo posted:

Six Brown Chicks have six really good questions this week. I'm particularly fond of 1 and 2.
https://twitter.com/SixBrownChicks/status/1169291418269114373

I'm always impressed with Six Brown Chicks' ability to reliably include twists in a 140-character tweet.

Couldn't Q2 just show the cops the marks from the stun gun? Or do they not always leave dot marks?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dienes posted:

Couldn't Q2 just show the cops the marks from the stun gun? Or do they not always leave dot marks?

Presumably because a stun gun leaves the same marks as a seizure.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Update on the grounded adult.

I will take steps to be a better boy.

Worst update, what a loving invertebrate :nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dienes posted:

Its really telling when a person acts like "not hitting people even when you're really, really mad at them" is some sort of impossible, unattainable hurdle to clear in life.

I don't think anyone at all has said that. I think some people are saying the gravity of what happened to him is much worse than a single slap to the face, and that the single slap doesn't remove all sympathy from him. Feel free to criticize anyone who actually said the thing you're pretending I said, though.