Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

I can’t wait for a labour win so that all of the placed BBC execs and Government shills are thrown to the street.

Labour can't even throw out the wreckers in it's own party, you think it's going to do anything about the BBC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Labour can't even throw out the wreckers in it's own party, you think it's going to do anything about the BBC?

Eh I bet the government appointee management will get replaced, because it's expected/what happens. Not necessarily saying it will solve everything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ratjaculation posted:

I referenced Panda Pops in small talk to the cafe lady here, she is maybe 18 or 19 and asked me what they were

I am old.

What's panda pops, precious?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

From my MP's newsletter

Hard man Raab running from a woman who's maybe 5' 3"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

KFC could be getting endless advertising exposure right now

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Have Plaid Cymru or Greens said anything about supporting Corbyn (or not) as interim? Or are they just vague "well someone has to do it"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Every posturing hard man in politics is a wimp who would get knocked out shadow boxing.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Midnight- posted:

Have Plaid Cymru or Greens said anything about supporting Corbyn (or not) as interim? Or are they just vague "well someone has to do it"

Greens have been on board since before the Benn bill went through.

Not sure about Plaid, the last thing I read from them they were saying Corbyn needs to go full remain to have their backing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Greta's successfully challenging the idea that everything's fine and ok actually. People who like and benefit from the status quo don't like to see it threatened, and people who've managed to cultivate a safe ignorance of the world's problems start to feel doubt and guilt breaking through

Both groups want an excuse to reject it. One because it sees its enemies making progress and undermining their position and the system they benefit from. The other because that cognitive dissonance is uncomfortable, and it's easier to just dismiss the more negative idea and go back to thinking everything's fine than deal with the doubt and guilt and start living in a darker world. Saying Greta's a puppet being manipulated is a nice, simple way to dismiss her and feel good about doing it / undermine the message and its power in society

I mean that's why the right is successful, conservatism supports the status quo - or even restoring the past, as though progress is to blame for anything bad you actually recognise in the world, things used to be fine until... There's a systemic bias in favour of propping up the current system, money and power are directed towards the people who promote and defend it, or activists who'll go to war against anyone who threatens it. Ordinary people want to hear it's a just world after all, and the system wants to push that narrative to protect itself

That's why you get heavily funded and promoted right-leaning media and political figures, while leftists struggle to achieve the same kind of platform. That's why you get the tabloids screeching about snowflakes, and how any acknowledged bad things are down to [other] causing trouble, and getting really freaked out when any actual progress seems to be made

And that's why the Tories have this solid base of votes no matter what they do, even when they're telling those voters directly "we will cut benefits" - the message is the same: things good, problems other people, it can be easily fixed, nothing needs to change except dealing with those problem people, maybe by rolling back the changes that allowed them to appear. It's a comfortable narrative for a lot of people to hold onto, rich and poor. Any party with a stance of "things are kinda hosed up, actually" has a challenge in breaking through that psychological armour

tldr :words: :tif: :chaostrump: :clegg: :piss:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Nigel farage calling for knife attacks on civil servents and MPs today, nice.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Someone invented perfection huh?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gonzo McFee posted:

The difference is that Labour MP's (and others) are elected. The BBC people are appointed, much much easier to replace.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Drone_Fragger posted:

Nigel farage calling for knife attacks on civil servents and MPs today, nice.

He got owned on Irish RTE News yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kp_T8CoSm4

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

tritsch posted:

Someone invented perfection huh?

Would look, but not taste, better with a white toblerone.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Twin Peaks bars in pound shops are better than Toblerone

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

Interesting

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Couple of pages back but just a reminder that the sun's figures are massively propped up by the fact they give that poo poo away free all the time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Haven't compared them but Twin Peaks are pretty good for sure. My problem with the Toblerange would be getting it down my throat without perforating the roof of my mouth and taking out a couple of teeth.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

drat fine chocolate bar. I can't tell you how many chocolate bars I've had in my life, but that is one of the best.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Diet Crack posted:

I can’t wait for a labour win so that all of the placed BBC execs and Government shills are thrown to the street.

Send Big John round to drive them out with a scourge.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

KFC could be getting endless advertising exposure right now

Still get pissed off that taking the piss out of that steaming pile of poo poo burn isn't more common.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
I normally just lurk these threads for any Brexit NI related news cos I'm one of them 'southerners', but I want to just chime in with how wonderful it is watching the libdems dig their own hole and steep themselves neck-deep in their own FBPE piss. I used to know someone from Manchester who was so ardently LibDem and swore Jeremy Corbyn was Satan incarnate, so the thread's been great catharsis comparatively. Shame Ireland's never been that good for anything properly left :smith:

Now for the actual news, if it's more dunking on Pfeffs then even better.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Pochoclo posted:

Because our hosed up reptile brains make us hurt each other a lot. As for why we have such hosed up brains in the first place, we can probably trace that back to the first unicellular beings that had a mutation that allowed them to consume resources from other living things, and that was reallllly good for them since it was a shortcut, so they multiplied and survived and passed on their genes, and the evolutionary arms race has shaped living things into rather violent things, including us, who have gone on to use a general purpose neural network that was really good for survival and hunting into a thing that builds ever more creative implements of violence, some reaching scary proportions.

On the other hand though we are certainly capable of cooperation and good things and art and music and unconditional love, so if we manage to survive this Great Filter before us, I'm sure we'll find a way to use the technology we've developed to tone down that hosed up reptile brain and become something else, something better. Outlook not good though

I was talking about malt loaf, but thank you for this thoughtful and interesting post

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

The difference is that Labour MP's (and others) are elected. The BBC people are appointed, much much easier to replace.

BBC Director General Ash Sarkar

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ratjaculation posted:

Never go to NZ then, abysmal selection

I have to say, in my experience of living in Europe and the middle East, biscuits is something the British Do Best.

Ms Fuchi posted:

While you're hankering for malt loaf, give some lovely Bara Brith a try

Went to Fagan's outdoor museum with mother a couple of years ago. Absolutely bucketed down with rain the whole day. I bought a loaf of bara brith and sat on a sheltered bench and ate the whole thing.

Swinson:

Does the parliamentary arithmetic labour + SNP outweigh the need to have LibDem on board with Corbyn as a caretaker PM? And she might not support it but the rest of the libdem MPs might?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 27, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

BBC Director General Ash Sarkar

Don't make me wish for things that can't be my dude.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
My Youngest son just got an apprenticeship with Anglian Water, after going though several knockout rounds and im really really proud of him.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
He should just announce the plan, have the snp (who seriously are making a huge decision by choosing to back this, in scotpol snp and lab absolutely detest each other) and lucas support him. My bet would be plaid would see the writing on the wall and get behind it. Lib dems and newly independent remainer Tories of the Clarke/Stewart variety where there would be directly enabling brexit despite their supposed commitment to remain/soft deal. They couldn't refuse without exposing themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have to say, in my experience of Europe, middle East, biscuits is something the British Do Best.
I'll grant them biscuits, but the British have never done Europe or the Middle East best.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Does anyone want a free copy of Battletech? I got one from the humble bundle monthly but I already had the game from Kickstarter

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fumble posted:

My Youngest son just got an apprenticeship with Anglian Water, after going though several knockout rounds and im really really proud of him.

Don't be. AWB are spectacularly incompetent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

Which is a reflection on the company, not the worker.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Does anyone want a free copy of Battletech? I got one from the humble bundle monthly but I already had the game from Kickstarter

Hit me up, please. I have PMs. :)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jedit posted:

What is wrong with you.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

The Deleter posted:

Hit me up, please. I have PMs. :)

Sent, enjoy!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jedit posted:

Then the kid'll look really good by comparison

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Boing posted:

I think it's not about fear but about cognitive dissonance and easy answers. The right will tell you that it your poverty is an entrenched systemic problem that needs to be addressed with radical social upheaval, but that immigrants did it and remoaners are holding you back. It's much more tempting to believe than the left wing perspective even though it's wrong.

This reminds me of what the author of The Subtle Art of Not Giving A gently caress says about certain ideas. Some ideas are like drugs: my position isn't my fault, I could have done better if I'd worked harder etc. Obviously he is right wing but the concept of control and agency is one that's very important in therapy.

The right wing provides a massive dose of drugs for people who feel they need more agency. If you buy into right wing ideas you'll believe your outcomes are entirely down to your actions and you deserve what you get. This is a delusional position but it fulfils the human need for agency.

So, as a left winger you may feel that a lot of aspects of life are out of your control, and you may well be right (although careful not to give in!) But it's important to step away from those aspects of life sometimes and focus on what you do have control over: cleaning your house, which flavour of Monster Munch to buy, how to act towards your community. You can make change in the big things by making lots of small changes to things within your sphere of control. Bigger things are really a distraction from that unless you want to use them as motivation to take action in the spheres you can influence.

This is something I've found a common theme in strategy literature too: if a situation seems impossible, figure out a thread you can pull to make change and do it: you might be surprised how far it will take you.

I think Foucault touches on this in discussions of self-care as an activist, and Plan C do a good byline in it.

And that's my TED talk on politics and mental health.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 27, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Fumble posted:

Congratulations! Best of luck to him!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I'll grant them biscuits, but the British have never done Europe or the Middle East best.

I feel like Britain hosed them both pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel like Britain hosed them both pretty good?

I think you mean public schoolboys, and all three.