Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

My new friend has some odd behavior at times. Including acting overtly gay. Do you think he's actually gay or just an oddball?

I think that bipolar II is a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

My new friend has some odd behavior at times. Including acting overtly gay. Do you think he's actually gay or just an oddball?

This one is from that same guy that posted

[17/m] This girl (18/f) almost had a wardrobe malfunction during a school play, I tried to cover her from being exposed but now she's mad at me. Did I do the right thing?

Which also includes

The Bramble posted:

Asking if cougars like it when a guy takes charge

Should I be scared of a slightly odd kid I met?

How can I get laid in highschool?

My drug addict aunt nearly burned our house down, how can I get her kicked out?

How can I seduce older women?

How do I seduce my teacher?

and far more treasures.

https://www.reddit.com/user/OutsideBobcat8/

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mordiceius posted:

Welp, speaking of autism. Yet another perfect example.

Not really, this one just seems like an rear end in a top hat.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA for not telling a good friend that his wife sent me inappropriate texts?

I know this couple well. He's a good friend and colleague of mine. She and I went to school. We dated briefly. Everyone knows this.

I know he was going through some marriage trouble. He was also definitely stressed at work, I was there in the other team seeing his team's lead crumble at some of our meetings.

She is dealing with things on her own I think. She was drunk one night I think and started texting me. I was just trying to be polite until it get flirty and I tried to play it down. The next night she drunkenly sent me nudes. Two dates later she apologized and told me to delete them. I did.

I'm just going to brush this whole thing off. I told my gf and she suggested I have a chat with my friend. And keep it subtle. But I don't think I can do that. Either rat her out or just keep it quiet. I wanna keep it quiet. AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to play Cannibal Corpse at our wedding?

This has to be the most ridiculous argument my fiance and I have ever had. Normally we almost never fight, and I don't know if it's just the wedding planning stress or what, but here we are.

The wedding is in three weeks. We're just wrapping up some last-minute details at this point, including creating a list of music we want to play at the reception, which we have to submit to our DJ by the end of the week. It's a semiformal evening wedding at a pretty upscale venue in our city.

My fiance and I have completely different musical tastes. He's very passionate about metal, while I'm much more of an indie/classic hits kind of girl. I asked him for suggestions and ALL of them are songs by Slayer, Amon Amarth, etc. I obviously shot those down and asked him to please choose some more traditional wedding songs. After a ton of arguing, he finally said he'll let me pick out the bulk of the music as long as we play one song by Cannibal Corpse (his favorite band) during the reception, and that's the most he's going to compromise. He says it's not fair that all of the wedding music is the kind of music I like and he should get some say too.

Well, I don't want to play Cannibal Corpse at any point during the wedding. It's not an appropriate style of music for an event of this formality and it's going to be awkward for all the guests. Fiance says it's his wedding too and it's crappy to ask for his input and then reject all his suggestions. AITA?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Girlfriend [29F] wants me [26M] to learn how to fight.
Relationships
So my girlfriend says she wants me to learn how to fight so I can protect her. She says it’s important for her to feel like she’s protected in a relationship and that I can take care of her if anyone tries to hurt her. I told her I’ve never been in a fight and never plan on being in one and I’m not interested and even a little uncomfortable taking up MMA/kickboxing/etc.

Now I’m above average size 6’ 2”, 180 and above average shape and tried explaining to her that I don’t like the idea of taking fighting lessons and that even if anyone tries to hurt her I would get in the way and protect her. Even if I end up getting the crap kicked out of me, if it gives her time to get to safety that’s all that matters. However she’s holding fast that it’s important that I can fight so she can feel protected and not have to worry about her safety. I ended up taking a trial kickboxing class and although I enjoyed the high intensity of the workout, I didn’t like the fighting aspect of it. So reddit, how can I approach this situation?

TLDR: Girlfriend wants me to learn how to fight so she can feel safe, fighting makes me uncomfortable and I don’t want to take classes. How can we proceed?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Can't wait for the moment when the song flips from Everybody (Backstreet's Back) to I Cum Blood.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
WIBTA if I hoard the good quality toilet paper from my wife?
Quick disclaimer I love my wife very much, but when it comes to this she favors quantity over quality. Her most recent purchase was a 36 roll package of some see through half-ply. Now this is some real John Wayne TP, it won’t take poo poo from anybody. I went out and got a brand laced with Aloe Vera and it is top notch, HIGHLY recommend. As a loving husband, I have volunteered myself to the guest bathroom for my privacy/her protection and am considering keeping all the good good in there for myself. With that, will I be the rear end in a top hat for leaving her out to dry?

Edit: This is a light-hearted post. I did throw some of the good stuff in our master bathroom when I got home, just threw this up for debate :). She bought the big pack thinking it would last a while not knowing it was crap (pun intended). I joked with her about it before for those worried about our marriage and communication.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Death metal (et al) at a wedding is fine, you just need to read the crowd and ease into it. This can be extravagant as a DJ or just having someone you trust mix things in a certain direction for a few songs before going back to Easy Listening: Wedding edition.

Me and my wife also had super opposite music tastes; I like terrible Headache-Inducing Electronic Thumping stuff and she likes Jazz Musicians Who Can't Hear Each Other. Amazingly, we didn't play any of that stuff at our wedding, funny that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe I'm crazy but at a wedding you should stick to stuff everyone knows. i really like post punk but not everyone wants to listen to 4 minute tracks about being heartbroken as much as I do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We almost made it a week. To avoid a derail, no posts about the music at your wedding unless you have photographic evidence of the blue alien lady from The 5th Element singing at it

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HMS Beagle posted:

AITA for "ghosting" my son financially after he "ghosted" me?

If you think he doesn't call you enough now just wait.

jesus christ

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My (32M) parents (60's M/F) are insistent that my wife (31F) is driving a wedge through the family by not allowing them to spank our daughter (3F).

My daughter is not going to have permanent mental scars from getting a spanking at my parents’ house as a toddler, but this could seriously impact my relationship with my entire family. My sister and I used to talk for an hour every Sunday night, and now she won't even speak to me unless it's to yell at me for messing up the family. My wife is absolutely refusing to budge on the issue and won’t try to compromise or muster up any empathy for me. How do I untangle this situation?

*record screech*

UGH why won't my wife have some compassion for ME? Just hit our kid when she's over there, it makes things easier for me!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for being mad at my dad for posting about my grandmother's death without even telling me first?
Not the A-hole
So I am at work and I receive this private message on Facebook by a friend saying "Sending my condolences". I started to palpitate, my heart was racing trying to find out who it was. I checked every DM, every text, nobody has said anything.

Until I open my timeline and see my father's post 4 HOURS AGO announcing my grandmother's (his mother) death on Facebook, mentioning the date of the wake (where the body is laid for families and friends to view before the funeral).

So I went off on them on our family (my parents and siblings) group chat saying "My grandmother died and nobody even told me. Facebook was the first to know. We really have to learn about proper online behavior and communication skills."

My mother quickly replied saying they were tired and have not thought to tell me.

So I feel bad now, but still it doesn't take 5 seconds to send me a message "Your grandmother died!"

So, was I the rear end in a top hat?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Power Khan posted:

AITA for being mad at my dad for posting about my grandmother's death without even telling me first?
Not the A-hole
So I am at work and I receive this private message on Facebook by a friend saying "Sending my condolences". I started to palpitate, my heart was racing trying to find out who it was. I checked every DM, every text, nobody has said anything.

Until I open my timeline and see my father's post 4 HOURS AGO announcing my grandmother's (his mother) death on Facebook, mentioning the date of the wake (where the body is laid for families and friends to view before the funeral).

So I went off on them on our family (my parents and siblings) group chat saying "My grandmother died and nobody even told me. Facebook was the first to know. We really have to learn about proper online behavior and communication skills."

My mother quickly replied saying they were tired and have not thought to tell me.

So I feel bad now, but still it doesn't take 5 seconds to send me a message "Your grandmother died!"

So, was I the rear end in a top hat?

Absolutely NTA.

Shouldn’t even question it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Power Khan posted:

The 21st century really has some hosed up stuff going on.

Also:

Anyone who ever spanks or hits my kids that I hope to have one day, regardless of shared lineage, will find their fingers on the hand they used broken by me personally, and any complaints will be responded with "It's the only way you will learn, I don't like doing this, it hurts me as much as it hurts you".

That poo poo it outdated and just an excuse for parents too dumb and impatient to bring up their kids properly.

Edit: Something similar applies to that clearly racist TA.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 8, 2019

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
[UPDATE+NEED ADVICE] Me [30M] and my Wife [31F] are both going to same conference for a week, she doesn't want to share a hotel with me during this time, is telling me she has no time to spend with me during it, and it is bothering the hell out of me.
Here is my original post to give some backstory: OP

Basically i backed off and basically more or less let her do her own thing, helped her prepare and everything like /u/jorydotcom recommended. Stuff seemed more or less fine before the conference.

We went to the conference this week, i basically decided to do like recommended and just let her do her own thing. I suggested we grab lunch or dinner if we had a chance. She was open to that, but made no promises. That never happened she more or less completely ghosted me for the entire conference until tonight. I got two whole messages from her the entire conference, one saying she landed and one from when she was about to give her session (basically wish me luck!).

I sent her a few messages during the week, including one saying "hey there is a fancy resturant you wanted to go to, i can get reservations if your free on Wednesday night." No response. But i never pushed anything, just let her do her own thing. I more or less did my own thing.

Tonight there was a formal dinner, basically inviting people who spend a lot of money as a thank you. I was told to go to this by my boss, so me and my coworker went, and had a nice dinner. Basically you do a bunch of networking and talk to people.

I ran into my wife tonight at this dinner, i saw her walk by us and made a small hand gesture and she did the same. My coworker immediately knew who she was but i was able to shut him up. She apparently went with her boss to this/a few coworkers, she dressed up more then i have ever seen her be in a long time. But i kept my distance, since this is important for her.

After dinner there was an open bar basically you mingle with various reps, i was grabbing a drink for me and my coworker and she came up to the bar as well. At this point i i kind of assumed that she was coming to talk to me so i started to talk to her. I basically told her she looked nice, and i missed her. She said she missed me too but "this isn't the time to talk, i will see you at home".

Being in husband mode i agreed and reflexively went to hug her, like we always do. She stopped me right away and told me i was being an rear end in a top hat before walking away. That hurt, but yeah i it is my fault.

I sent her a message basically saying i was sorry, and it was a reflex. An hour ago i got a barrage of angry messages from her basically:

Saying what i did was super inappropriate because her coworkers/boss saw it and she had to lie and say i was some drunk.

I am being really clingy, and not respecting her wishes at all.

She is extremely upset at me, as i blatantly do not understand how important this is for her.

I frankly just don't know how to respond at all. I guess part of me agrees, but at the same time the conference is basically over, and it was a mistake. Also just to explain i wasn't a slobbering drunk, at this point i had a small glass of wine but mostly water (i am hungover from last night). I guess to me in a way it makes me feel like she is deeply ashamed of me in someway or embarrassed to be seen with me, which confuses me a lot.

TLDR; Ran into my wife at formal dinner, she is pissed i reflexively went to hug her. She told me i am being an rear end in a top hat, and is upset at me. I don't understand.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Absolutely nothing going on here. Totally not.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ah, found something for the guy with the lovely physical parents

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Beachcomber posted:

Does this mean he's a triplet?

I think it means he has two sisters, that are a different age than him, who are twins to each other. Not him.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I think it means he has two sisters, that are a different age than him, who are twins to each other. Not him.

I think they are triplets. She emphasises later that she is his TWIN sister

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

teen witch posted:

Ah, found something for the guy with the lovely physical parents

I mean, I know :thejoke: and all but I still love that it's a red flag.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My (32M) parents (60's M/F) are insistent that my wife (31F) is driving a wedge through the family by not allowing them to spank our daughter (3F).

quote:

My daughter is not going to have permanent mental scars from getting a spanking at my parents’ house as a toddler

Lol. This guy needs to take a step back here and look at what's happening. The kids are routinely spanked, to the point where it's unthinkable that the kids will not need spanked during a few days visiting. That's unthinkable the children will do something requiring physical punishment. So his daughter is going to have the experience of going to her grandparents house for her yearly beatings, I'm sure that will have no affect at all.

The second part is they beat the kids all the time for misbehaving, and they kids still need more beatings for misbehaving so obviously it doesn't loving work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pirate Radar posted:

I’ve read this three times and the fact that she doesn’t say if he’s saying good or bad things about Boris is killing me

Comedy option: Both.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The best part about the Boris chanting post is she posted it around 1 in the morning meaning it's likely he was doing it there and then.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Power Khan posted:

[UPDATE+NEED ADVICE] Me [30M] and my Wife [31F] are both going to same conference for a week, she doesn't want to share a hotel with me during this time, is telling me she has no time to spend with me during it, and it is bothering the hell out of me.

She's loving someone in the office for sure.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Welp, speaking of autism. Yet another perfect example.

Nah that's just normal lovely dad behavior except with nerdy hobbies instead of sports. Notice how he thinks trying to relate to his daughters in any way will feminize him.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Power Khan posted:

my (21f) boyfriend (21m) won't stop sleeptalking about brexit and it's driving me insane!!
TLDR: bf dreams of boris johnson and chants his name every night in his sleep and keeps me up.
Dude dreams about a BJ and chants for a BJ every night, not sure what’s weird here.

Power Khan posted:

TLDR; Ran into my wife at formal dinner, she is pissed i reflexively went to hug her. She told me i am being an rear end in a top hat, and is upset at me. I don't understand.
The original post makes him kind of a clingy jerk - Part of these conferences is to interact with colleagues and others in the industry, including dinner and lunch, so he probably should have chilled out and respected that part of it.

But :wtf: at her pretending not to know him when they run into each other. That’s way weirder than if she’d just said, “hey y’all meet my husband, oh yeah, he is attending another conference here, love you, bye.”. And not even spending 15 seconds to answer his text or say hello? Separate hotel rooms? She’s 100% banging someone at the conference.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 8, 2019

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for not wanting my husbands ex gf to be present at Christmas eve dinner?

quote:

My Mother-in-law has informed me that my husbands ex gf will be coming to christmas eve dinner and that I should just get used to the idea because that's how it is.

This girl has been an issue with our relationship since day one.

A bit of backstory, a few years before I met my husband, she dated him, their relationship ended when she made some absolutely disgusting and potentially life ruining allegations against him. He was arrested, assaulted (she had a history with one of the officers so he made it personal), taken to the police station, had charges held against him, and was interrogated. He hadn't done anything that she had said he had so of course he eventually managed to get everything dropped.

Shortly after we got together she then started dm'ing me on Facebook trying to drive a wedge between us to split us up, when she was blocked I recieved messages from random people for months badmouthing my husband.

Fast forward two years, and we find out that his parents have been allowing her to come to the property and help them with their horses, and we find out she has been playing the sympathy card to work her way into the family. I then tried to play nice and at least tolerate having her around for the sake of peace in the family, even though I know how much it gets under my husbands skin that she is around. I finally gave up being nice when she flat out ignored me at the local show when I was preparing the horses to be led out.

It has now been 5 years since this all started. She is now living on the inlaws property, and makes herself at home in the main farmhouse (while she has her own fully self contained unit that she pays to rent). Year before last Christmas I was the bad guy because I made it quite apparent that I did not believe she belonged at the family dinner table on Christmas eve or at present opening the next morning.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for not being nice about this girl being present in our lives?

End note: my brother and sister in-law also have issues with this girl being around as she tried to get with brother in law first, and hosed with his head, before she went after my husband. But bringing up any of this with the parents brings the family into an enormous nuclear fight.... Apparently I'm trying to tear the family appart because I don't want to stand for her being included in what is supposed to be a family occasion.

Edit: we (husband and I) have on many occasions made our stance on having her around very clear, and every time it ends with us getting either kicked off the property, or told that they can be friends with whoever they want. The argument over this christmas was had between my husband and myself and he made it clear that if we did bring it up or choose to stay away, quote "if we stop her from seeing her grandson at christmas she will cut us off from the family". He has always stood against his parents and defended me when needed, so it's no shortfall on his side. He has just given up fighting them over it because he doesn't want to lose his parents.

Edit#2: if I say I want to spend christmas away from here, I'm apparently keeping the grandchild away from his grandma and am using that as a weapon against her and she will cut us off from the family. When it has nothing to do with our son, I just don't want my family to be around lying homewreckers. This whole situation is exhausting and I've voiced so many times how over it I am, but unfortunately there's nothing we can do until the 'issue' resolves itself. I'm just hoping she shits the bed a few too many times (metaphorically speaking) and ends up getting kicked out.

Edit#3: inviting the inlaws to ours is difficult because we live over an hour away and don't have anywhere for them to stay at our house. The farm house is big, and people that travel can stay, that's why everything is generally held there. I've reached the point where I'm just going to have to be present, silent, and retire to our room with our kid as soon as possible. I don't want our toddler around the ex she doesn't deserve that privilege. The whole situation just sucks.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for not supporting my wife’s breast implant removal?

quote:

So about three years ago my wife went on an all-natural lifestyle kick. We have stuck to that since, and it's had some benefits but some things annoy me because she goes down rabbit holes and echo chambers and gets stuck in her beliefs.

Because of this, about 5 months ago she got her fillings removed, which was an expense that we really couldn't swing at the time. I was cool with because she thought she was going to stop getting sinus headaches, and she was paying with it with her own personal allowance through working overtime.

A few months after the dental surgery, she decided she wanted to remove her breast implants... She has had them since before we got together, so it's the only way I've ever known her. She claims that having implants leads to a number of conditions and that even though she doesn't feel anything yet, that she wants to remove them so that she doesn't have to experience them if they do go bad.

So I'll admit that I haven't been the most supportive, making gloomy faces and not really engaging in the conversation as much. I have expressed my frustration about her getting them removed, but told her that I understand even if I don't want her to get rid of them. Then I found out the cost was going to require us to take out a loan, and I really became less supportive about it. We're taking out a loan to pay for implants that are fine to be removed for no real reason, and I have no say in the matter... So now I'm openly upset about it when she brings up the surgery is on 12/13. She's like you'll need to take care of me, you'll need to help out when the girls want me to pick them up...etc....

We got into a huge fight about it last night and this morning because she's like a lot of guys liked me before my surgery... I'm sure there are a lot of guys who won't mind after... if you don't like it leave. I told her I'm loving in mourning for them, can't I be in mourning.

I feel like she is being the rear end in a top hat here, but I'll admit that I have at some points too, but ultimately this is one of the biggest fights we have ever had through 8 years of being together and 5 years of marriage.

Edit: please keep in mind my beef isn’t just with the aesthetic, it’s also the monetary aspect and power dynamic of it having a say in this situation.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
e: beaten

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pinecone Sample posted:

Because of this, about 5 months ago she got her fillings removed,

Uh, what?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just two little coffins and a teeny tiny rendition of taps on the kazoo

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Pinecone Sample posted:

I feel like this deemphasizes “she got her dental fillings removed” too much

What... are there just like holes in her teeth? Did they just pull the ones that had fillings?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was assuming she had them replaced with newer material but in hindsight, what the hell?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonna enjoy the follow-up "AITA for asking my wife to wear dentures after all her teeth fell out?"

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

It’s a fear mongering scam

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_amalgam_controversy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now I remember that tiger who got a gold tooth. That was awesome.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Little bothered by

quote:

she was paying with it with her own personal allowance through working overtime.
The wages from her job are an allowance? You allow her to keep it? That's disturbing to other people, right?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sunswipe posted:

Little bothered by
The wages from her job are an allowance? You allow her to keep it? That's disturbing to other people, right?

My eyes had skipped over that but that’s a good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Taking out a loan for elective surgery you can't really afford is dumb as hell, but being "in mourning" for your wife's breasts is loving weird.