Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Transmogrifier posted:

Ahh what's this story? (Just finished catching up.)

Short version.

Husband and wife have kid. Wife cheats on husband when kid is 2. Wife gets caught (maybe doesn’t stop right away that’s up for debate in how she wrote it). Husband says we are only staying together for the kid.

Kid turns 18 and husband says see ya later tater and wife is shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dazerbeams posted:

Just post it you coward!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Transmogrifier posted:

Ahh what's this story? (Just finished catching up.)

Dude's wife cheated on him, so he told her they were done, but he stuck around to raise their kid. At 12:01am on the day of the kid's 18th birthday, he dropped a pile of divorce papers on the wife, and she was all, "Whaa?!"

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 8, 2019

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Wish that ex husband would post their version

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Dude's wife cheated on him, so he told her they were done, but he stuck around to raise their kid. At 12:01am on the day of the kid's 18th birthday, he dropped a pile of divorce papers on the wife, and she was all, "Whaa?!"

It's a bit worse than that even. They're not married. She never worked since high school, no savings no retirement, he owns the house. He said he's off to find the future Mr. Him and start a new family, she's sure that she's too old to start over again.

Chinese gently caress-you-vegan posted in r/AntiVegan, because of course there's an r/AntiVegan. - Lol-level: The mods deleted it as being too much of an rear end in a top hat for even that subreddit.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hughlander posted:

It's a bit worse than that even. They're not married. She never worked since high school, no savings no retirement, he owns the house. He said he's off to find the future Mr. Him and start a new family, she's sure that she's too old to start over again.

Chinese gently caress-you-vegan posted in r/AntiVegan, because of course there's an r/AntiVegan. - Lol-level: The mods deleted it as being too much of an rear end in a top hat for even that subreddit.

Huh. I guess I misremembered the marriage part.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Huh. I guess I misremembered the marriage part.

Same lol.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

She was carrying on the affair, he found out, she continued anyway because shes a garbage human being until she got bored and stopped thinking the main dude forgave her so everything was alright.

quote:

I'll try to cut it as short as I can but I became pregnant when I was young and immature. Because of this when I realised I was missing the "experience" my friends were gaining, I started partying, taking drugs and hosed up by having an affair.

My boyfriend found out but his reaction wasn't as explosive as I was expecting. He just told me that "We're staying together for our son" and that's it, we never spoke of it again. For about a year afterwards I could tell he could barely stand the sight of me but getting caught forced me to pull my poo poo together. I realised that all I wanted was to grow old with him and ended the affair. I threw myself into being a caring and attentive girlfriend and convincing him to forgive me and eventually we became intimate again and things went back to normal.

Kinda seems like she carried on the affair for that whole year, its not clear but lol "missing the experience" of crazy parties, drugs, and rando sex.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 8, 2019

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA/WIBTA for giving my future child 3 middlenames?

When they said they spoke 20 languages I was hoping for a name like Chaim Gutierrez von Bielefeld Petrovich Jones or something but these people counted like Elven, Dwarven and Klingon, didn't they

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (21F) boyfriend's (24F) behavior at a party made me very upset.

A couple of days ago my boyfriend (we'll call him John) got into an accident at work. Long story short, he has to walk with a cane for about a week. I have tried to be as supportive as I can and help him as much as he needs.

Thursday, John came over to my apartment just to lie down and rest his foot, so I could help him if he needed it. While he was over he asked if I wanted to see a movie with his friends that night. John and I have been dating for two months and I've been nervous to meet his friends, so I asked him if I could meet them another time. That same night he also asked if he could spend the night at my place. I had planned to watch the premiere of a show at my friend's house at midnight, so he asked if he could stay at my apartment until I got back. Because I haven't known him long, I was uncomfortable with the idea of leaving him alone in my apartment for several hours, so I told him no. After he left, I could tell he was upset that I denied both the movie invitation and letting him stay over, so I apologized.

About a week before all of this happened, John invited me to go to his friend's engagement party with him, which was set to happen on Saturday. Because I denied the movie invitation, he assumed that I didn't want to go to the party, but after seeing how upset he was I realized that it was important to him that I met his friends and assured him that I would go with him.

We got to the party and everything started off great. His friends were all kind to me, and I got along with them well. Everything started to go downhill as John got more intoxicated. He started hitting people with his cane "as a joke." He would hit me, his friends, and himself occasionally. Not lightly, I might add. During a game of charades, he continually overexerted himself, then would complain that his foot hurt very badly. At one point during the night, he started examining the bride-to-be's engagement ring and insulted it in front of her, the groom-to-be, and other guests. At another point during the night, he essentially called another one of his friends ugly in front of his girlfriend. Later, he loudly complained that there wasn't any meat at the party (the future bride and groom are vegetarian). Finally, he continually bumbled over things and spilled drinks on more than one occasion, and was clearly much more intoxicated than anyone else (he only had 3 or 4 beers over the course of the night though, so I question just how intoxicated he was).

I kept my composure the entire night and still tried to be as supportive as I could towards him. After we left the party, however, he could tell that I was upset and asked me what was wrong. I yelled at him and listed out everything he did that upset me that night. This dissolved into a fight where he accused me of patronizing him and treating him badly while he was injured (presumably because I wouldn't let him stay the night), while also complaining that he was in a lot of pain because of his foot and that was the reason for his behavior. While I was dropping him off he opened the door while the car was still moving in an attempt to get out.

How could I have handled confronting him better? How should I proceed with this conflict?

TL;DR: Boyfriend embarrassed me at his friend's engagement party by hitting and insulting people all night. I yelled at him after we left the party, which started a fight. He accused me of not supporting him through his injury and demeaning him. How should I handle this conflict? Is this grounds for breaking up?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (21F) boyfriend's (24F) behavior at a party made me very upset.

Lady with 8 weeks invested you definitely should find a way to work this out. You are stuck together now. If only this had happened at 7 weeks!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pentyne posted:

She was carrying on the affair, he found out, she continued anyway because shes a garbage human being until she got bored and stopped thinking the main dude forgave her so everything was alright.

Kinda seems like she carried on the affair for that whole year, its not clear but lol "missing the experience" of crazy parties, drugs, and rando sex.

Yeah it's pretty understandable to not forgive her for not only carrying on the affair for an additional year but also being an absentee wife/coparent for even longer than that. She clearly didn't give a poo poo about him or their kid during that time. She got to live out her fantasies of being young and carefree while he got saddled with all of the responsibilities.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
She specifically says getting caught made her stop. Then he continued to visibly hate her for a year.

quote:

For about a year afterwards I could tell he could barely stand the sight of me but getting caught forced me to pull my poo poo together. I realised that all I wanted was to grow old with him and ended the affair.
Awful person for cheating in the first place, but she didn't continue after getting caught.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

She specifically says getting caught made her stop. Then he continued to visibly hate her for a year.

Awful person for cheating in the first place, but she didn't continue after getting caught.

Without the timeline is possible to be 2 extremes. She could've started the drug partying right after the kid was born and have been cheating and checked out of the marriage for the first 2 years leaving the bf to take care of the new baby, or she sporadically went out to go crazy and had a short fling before she got caught.

His 16 year plan for her is still ice cold, especially if her continued having sex and being friendly/romantic with her.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Anne Whateley posted:

The part you quoted mentions ending the affair after a year of him being disgusted.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

The part you quoted mentions ending the affair after a year of him being disgusted.

It isn't explicit but my read of it is she stopped when caught and then he was still visibly angry with her for a year.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

noooo do not start up this argument again!

here let me find something to try and distract you all

I (26M) am uncomfortable with my partner's (23M) career goals

(I don't want to go into details about what those career goals are so as to avoid debate about that instead...)

My partner and I met at university, and we started living together as just friends after I graduated in the summer of 2018. He's still studying, while I am on disability benefits. I started to get a crush on him after we'd been living together a while, and we started dating this last summer (so about 5 months ago).

His area of study and eventual career goals are related, and yes, they're something I knew about and was uncomfortable with before we got together, but at that time, I hadn't expected the relationship to get that serious. I realise the idea of casually dating someone you already live with may seem odd to some, but we're already pretty unconventional people, so we weren't too concerned.

Now, though, we're really in love, and he's started including me when he talks about the future. In a lot of ways, I'd like to think about a future together, too... except. Except his future involves the aforementioned career goals. I don't want to be the life partner of someone in that career. When he talks about it, I withdraw and get sad. I don't mean to, I just don't know how to respond.

I don't feel like I can bring it up because it's obviously not fair for me to want him to change something that he's been working towards since before we got together, but I also wish he wouldn't talk about his future in that career and me in the same sentence. I feel bad for not wanting to hear about a lot of his current work. I'm sure he'd be willing to avoid the subject around me if he knew, but it just doesn't seem like something he should have to do in a relationship!

But I also don't wanna break it off, at least not now... any opportunity for him to actually join his dream career is still years off, and at the moment it only gets mentioned every now and then, and otherwise we're really happy. We get on, we agree about most other things and are comfortable with our disagreements on others, we enjoy a lot of the same things and support each other in those we don't, we have great chemistry...

I just don't know what to do about this. Should I bring it up? I certainly wouldn't be doing so with any expectation for him to change his goals, that's obviously not my place, but does he have a right to know my feelings on the matter?

TL;DR 5 month relationship with a housemate is getting more serious than originally expected, and now I don't know whether to bring up that I was never personally comfortable with my partner's long-term career goals

what's the career

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Do they expect any response other than what is the career and why does it make you upset?
Like, it's entirely the frame of reference for working this out. Otherwise the only answer is leave. Which is probably still the answer to be honest.

My guess is it would involve travel. But I don't see even that brought up unless I missed it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if the career's evil, shameful, or merely unprofitable

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s probably investigating people on disability benefits.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Given his age, his history of working towards it, and the goal being off, I'd guess it's either some kind of research or medical position that doesn't sit well with her, or the BF wants to become an evil lawyer. (Probably too old for evil banking/finance to be probable.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: ^^^^^ they are both guys, please read the post

I truly can't decide whether it's more likely that the guy wants a comfortable but morally questionable career (e.g. defense contractor engineer) or an admirable but personally difficult career (e.g. third-world aid worker).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Astronaut would be fun.

Also they're both men so there are some possibilities there, like conservative politician, scientist for a drug company that charges a shitload for HIV drugs, etc.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Randler posted:

Given his age, his history of working towards it, and the goal being off, I'd guess it's either some kind of research or medical position that doesn't sit well with her, or the BF wants to become an evil lawyer. (Probably too old for evil banking/finance to be probable.)

They are both dudes, which makes me wonder if its a religious role in a conservative church.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
law degree - career in politics

freckle fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 8, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Gynaecologist.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Finance. The post is actually from ten years ago and it’s cumshitter’s origin story.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's proctology. You know how it goes. You do the job all day and you're sick of it when you get home. Mechanics have lovely cars, accountants are bad with money, etc.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

cumshitter posted:

It's proctology. You know how it goes. You do the job all day and you're sick of it when you get home. Mechanics have lovely cars, accountants are bad with money, etc.

:hmmyes:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It could be something in a "gross" field like mortician.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm betting cop.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

therobit posted:

I'm betting cop.

I don't think you spend years studying to be a cop.

Unless you count schoolyard bullying.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Livejournal influencer

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

therobit posted:

I'm betting cop.

It's totally this also gently caress I finally caught up the 2000 posts I missed by taking a weekend off

also free pick

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
It's dentistry obv, no one wants a life time of hearing about veneers over dinner.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, and dentists always seem so miserable to me. They're always looking down in the mouth.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Conversion Therapist AKA Torturer

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

professor metis posted:

noooo do not start up this argument again!

here let me find something to try and distract you all

I (26M) am uncomfortable with my partner's (23M) career goals

(I don't want to go into details about what those career goals are so as to avoid debate about that instead...)

My partner and I met at university, and we started living together as just friends after I graduated in the summer of 2018. He's still studying, while I am on disability benefits. I started to get a crush on him after we'd been living together a while, and we started dating this last summer (so about 5 months ago).

His area of study and eventual career goals are related, and yes, they're something I knew about and was uncomfortable with before we got together, but at that time, I hadn't expected the relationship to get that serious. I realise the idea of casually dating someone you already live with may seem odd to some, but we're already pretty unconventional people, so we weren't too concerned.

Now, though, we're really in love, and he's started including me when he talks about the future. In a lot of ways, I'd like to think about a future together, too... except. Except his future involves the aforementioned career goals. I don't want to be the life partner of someone in that career. When he talks about it, I withdraw and get sad. I don't mean to, I just don't know how to respond.

I don't feel like I can bring it up because it's obviously not fair for me to want him to change something that he's been working towards since before we got together, but I also wish he wouldn't talk about his future in that career and me in the same sentence. I feel bad for not wanting to hear about a lot of his current work. I'm sure he'd be willing to avoid the subject around me if he knew, but it just doesn't seem like something he should have to do in a relationship!

But I also don't wanna break it off, at least not now... any opportunity for him to actually join his dream career is still years off, and at the moment it only gets mentioned every now and then, and otherwise we're really happy. We get on, we agree about most other things and are comfortable with our disagreements on others, we enjoy a lot of the same things and support each other in those we don't, we have great chemistry...

I just don't know what to do about this. Should I bring it up? I certainly wouldn't be doing so with any expectation for him to change his goals, that's obviously not my place, but does he have a right to know my feelings on the matter?

TL;DR 5 month relationship with a housemate is getting more serious than originally expected, and now I don't know whether to bring up that I was never personally comfortable with my partner's long-term career goals

what's the career

Why do posters do this poo poo? "I wont post the career to avoid debate about that"? The whole loving question hinges on what the career is. All this exposition is pointless without knowing the topic

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
He's studying to be a sugar baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

muscles like this! posted:

It could be something in a "gross" field like mortician.

Nah. I'm guessing video game developer.