Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Bonaventure posted:

give Star Wars to Hideo Kojima

I'd kill to see Hideo Kojima given limitless Disney dollars and free reign on Star Wars. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm pretty fond of kojima's take on TLJ in his rolling stone column but it mostly got scrubbed from the internet. Preserved here.

kojimmer posted:

The revolutionary age of toppling kings is past. Star "Wars" has entered a new era of festivity, welcome to one and all. The "all flash and no blood" red plumes on the salt planet signify this change of stance. To ensure the stability and prosperity of the kingdom, a festival is held each year as part of a never-ending celebration. This is what it means for Disney, not George Lucas, to helm the Star Wars franchise. In the magic kingdom anyone can become prince or princess, no blood is spilled and there are no revolutions.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
My boss hired out a theater and we all went and saw TLJ as part of our Christmas party. Then we all went out and got drunk and made fun of how terrible the movie was. It was a great time.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I know. I'm searching for something else, I'm just in a position where I'm gonna have to ride this out for the next few months

But enough about me, how about that star wars.

Nice Guy Patron fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 17, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm pretty fond of kojima's take on TLJ in his rolling stone column but it mostly got scrubbed from the internet. Preserved here.

Aside from how concise this take is it reads exactly like i'd expect Kojima to describe TLJ.

Lol I clicked the link after writing and gently caress me theres the rest of it that I was expecting.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

my dog died im sad posted:

But enough about me, how about that star wars.

We wouldn't know; you are the only one forced to go see it. FORCED!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Emrikol posted:

It's really funny how the sudden revelation he somehow survived being betrayed by his apprentice makes his NuCanon "gently caress up the Empire as punishment for failing me" orders even more stupid than they already were.

who the gently caress knows. i am guessing force ghost or some poo poo.

Just Chamber posted:

https://twitter.com/ThinkHero/status/1206990402915459072?s=20

This seems to be the general consensus I'm seeing. The ones posted earlier saying its bad were cherry picked, there are plenty saying they loved it etc. Even If it's near TFA in terms of just fun adventure that doesn't hold up on second viewing I'll be happy.

sounds about right. the movie is gonna be a fun love letter and try to wrap up the story and move on to more stuff like the mandalorian.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 18, 2019

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I mean, even as a kid watching ROTJ, far before even the prequels, I always had that "I didn't personally see that motherfucker die, he still around for sure." feeling about the Emperor. Also hasn't it been long established in both the old cannon and new cannon that Palpatine was adamant that there would be no one to succeed him and that if he wasn't immortal the Empire should die with him? Even in "Empire" Vader tells Luke that they're going to kill the Emperor and "rule the Galaxy as father and son" which I always took to mean Vader knew about the plans for Operation Cinder and understood that the only way he would be alive after the Emperor died was to kill the creepy old bastard first.

Also, goddamn Ian McDiarmid is creepy as gently caress in ROTJ

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

I mean, even as a kid watching ROTJ, far before even the prequels, I always had that "I didn't personally see that motherfucker die, he still around for sure." feeling about the Emperor. Also hasn't it been long established in both the old cannon and new cannon that Palpatine was adamant that there would be no one to succeed him and that if he wasn't immortal the Empire should die with him? Even in "Empire" Vader tells Luke that they're going to kill the Emperor and "rule the Galaxy as father and son" which I always took to mean Vader knew about the plans for Operation Cinder and understood that the only way he would be alive after the Emperor died was to kill the creepy old bastard first.

Also, goddamn Ian McDiarmid is creepy as gently caress in ROTJ

yeah. basicaly in old canon he floats off to byss and slowly starts building a stronger leaner empire and lets the chaff kill each other than comes back and fucks around and than gets smoked by han solo and his soul absorbed by a dying quadruple amputee.

new canon. he basically sets up a contingency that when/if he dies/killed, the empire will loving kill itself and take the rebels with them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Julius CSAR posted:

Even in "Empire" Vader tells Luke that they're going to kill the Emperor and "rule the Galaxy as father and son" which I always took to mean Vader knew about the plans for Operation Cinder

lol jesus christ.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I love The Last Jedi because the whole thing is just a big metaphor for Star Wars and Luke is like an old geek going on about what a huge mistake it was to make more Star Wars movies and that it's ruined both the backstory and ending of the original trilogy and how he wants no part of any more Star Wars and the whole franchise should just die already, and then Yoda comes in all like "dude it's just a movie get over yourself, here watch this" and blows up a shelf full of original Star Wars trilogy Betamaxes and Luke goes, "oh yeah lol." Meanwhile Rey's going around asking everyone "What's the point of my character? Why am I even in this movie? I don't understand!"

It was pretty amusing and cathartic for someone like me who was never really sold on TFA the way it seemed everyone else was, and in general reminded me that poo poo happens and to try to keep a good attitude and not overly precious about things.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
"this year your xmas bonus is that you get to be my best friends and we're all going to see a movie I want to see"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I'd kill to see Hideo Kojima given limitless Disney dollars and free reign on Star Wars. :getin:

He would somehow reproduce the star wars holiday special, despite having never seen it

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Chomp8645 posted:

lol jesus christ.

What was so offensive about my post?

OH NO!

Did I know too much about Star Wars in the thread for talking about Star Wars?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

OH NO!

The part of your post that that other goon quoted made absolutely no sense

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

QuarkJets posted:

The part of your post that that other goon quoted made absolutely no sense

How so?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I like the supporting role played by Sandman's Morpheus in the Dark Empire comics, and the giant factory vacuum cleaner ships that attacked Admiral Ackbar's home planet.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

As preposterous a revelation as the Emperor's Granddaughter may be, I rewatched TFA for the first time since 2015 and the movie does feel like it makes more sense and it was a more interesting watch in general with this piece of information in mind. Rey's always had a strangely compelling, indescribable presence that's managed to carry her character through these movies so far despite being a complete cipher, and it's almost like a lightbulb moment to see her now and understand "this is someone who doesn't know she's 'one of the bad guys'". I also like the mirroring of Luke and Leia being the contingency plan for the fallen Jedi; Rey being the post-death contingency plan for the Emperor.**

I know the consensus is that Abrams probably pulled this out of his rear end in this third movie after deciding to bring back the Emperor, but if it wasn't I think it would've really helped if they somehow discovered the truth earlier. For one, it would've helped set up the Emperor's later return and the revelation itself would've been less corny than "ta-da! I'm back! Oh by the way you're my granddaughter hahaha," and it would've been interesting to see the other characters deal with this and still try to trust her, etc.

** I'll admit I'm probably just glad Rey has any kind of background at all now and as a result watching TFA doesn't feel so much like Abrams is standing there going "ooh, doesn't this all seem SO mysterious? Sure seems like there's more to this scenario than meets the eye, doesn't it? Or maybe that's just what I want you to think? But of course there's gotta be something significant going on, right? Or maybe not! You never know…"

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The plot being "Rey is actually going to end up bad and Kylo is actually going to end up good" was the most basic, obvious twist 15-30 minutes into TFA, but them both being good is just :barf:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

operation cinder wasn't even imagined for like another 30 years when vader said that

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Julius CSAR posted:

OH NO!

Is this guy for real or is he loving around?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jivjov v2 has logged on, and just in time

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Rey and Dark Rey are gonna be two separate individuals. Palpatine was obsessed with clones and cloning, and when Rey asks the force cave to see her parents, she only sees copies of herself.

My take on TFA: my favorite thing about the original trilogy is when it is "friends go on a big adventure together" so all the Rey and Finn stuff is really great to me.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Senior Dog posted:

operation cinder wasn't even imagined for like another 30 years when vader said that

I was simply using "operation cinder" as shorthand for "the entire empire is given orders to eat itself"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lol

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

This is wonderful, thanks.

quote:

Near the end of The Last Jedi, Kylo Ren kills Snoke, the Supreme Leader of the First Order. This is a coup d'état by Kylo, and should be considered an internal structural revolution. However, while Kylo invites Rey to create a new order along with him, he never actually attempts to do so. Instead of destroying the First Order, he merely occupies the now vacant position of Supreme Leader. It seems that only the leadership in the organization changes, while its objective and power structure are left intact. What happens next might be portrayed in future episodes, but at this point, the First Order has only undergone a succession in administration, rather than an actual revolution.

The motif of succession is present throughout the film: Vice Admiral Holdo takes command when Leia is incapacitated, and Poe Dameron is demoted for disobeying General Leia's orders. And most importantly, there is the succession from Luke to Rey.

This is not a revolution. And just as the story isn't about revolution, its themes and portrayals aren't revolutionary either. This is only natural, though, as the film is but one piece of the continuous, eternal kingdom of Star Wars.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

James Earl Jones: "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the powa of lahv."

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Julius CSAR posted:

I was simply using "operation cinder" as shorthand for "the entire empire is given orders to eat itself"

Are you aware that Emperor Palpatine's entire characterization and goals didn't exist when ESB was filmed? Like, at all. The Emperor wasn't an actual character until RotJ. Interpreting Vader's actions in ESB as anything more than "I'm a very bad guy who is evil and bad and I want to rule the galaxy with my son" is amazingly silly, disingenuous fanfiction.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

lol jesus christ.

lol. vader didnt know poo poo about poo poo. vader only cared about finding his kid and that was the only way he thought he could get in touch with him since it worked so well with his wife.

Julius CSAR posted:

Rey and Dark Rey are gonna be two separate individuals. Palpatine was obsessed with clones and cloning, and when Rey asks the force cave to see her parents, she only sees copies of herself.

My take on TFA: my favorite thing about the original trilogy is when it is "friends go on a big adventure together" so all the Rey and Finn stuff is really great to me.

honestly, id be ok with that. that rey is just some clone that got away or got its mind hosed up by programming.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Palpatine revealed as a transgender icon in a brave move by Disney.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Are you aware that Emperor Palpatine's entire characterization and goals didn't exist when ESB was filmed? Like, at all. The Emperor wasn't an actual character until RotJ. Interpreting Vader's actions in ESB as anything more than "I'm a very bad guy who is evil and bad and I want to rule the galaxy with my son" is amazingly silly, disingenuous fanfiction.

Ok, that's an entirely fair explanation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Palpatine revealed as a transgender icon in a brave move by Disney.

now i am just picturing some buffalo bill type poo poo but with ian mcdiarmid in full body make up.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

He was even played by a woman in several scenes for a fun bit of trivia.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

now i am just picturing some buffalo bill type poo poo but with ian mcdiarmid in full body make up.

That's kinda hosed up he just wanted to be an evil Sith Empress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

He was even played by a woman in several scenes for a fun bit of trivia.

you mean the original ESB apperence?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So how did the ragtag resistance fleet manage to defeat the massive sith fleet? Or was it another, "Emperor is dead, everyone give up" scenario again?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. vader didnt know poo poo about poo poo. vader only cared about finding his kid and that was the only way he thought he could get in touch with him since it worked so well with his wife.

honestly, id be ok with that. that rey is just some clone that got away or got its mind hosed up by programming.

I think it is absolutely no coincidence that she is on Jakku, and I also don't think it's a coincidence that Lor San Tekka was there.. Just like how it was no coincidence that Obi-Wan lived on the same planet as Luke.

It's possible though that light side Rey was the original and was discarded, and the emperor kept another clone of her that he then trained.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ah yes we are a cartoonishly evil space empire that blows up entire planets of mostly innocent non combatants but we definitely draw a line on offing a defective clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I really loving hate the idea of Sheev having a "contingency plan" if that is how it ends up being framed. Like the entire loving point on both a material and thematic level of the final confrontation in Jedi is that Sheev eats poo poo and dies because he's too selfish and cynical to plan for a scenario in which Luke refuses to play ball and convinces Vader to do the same. He's so high on his own evil farts it legit never crosses his mind

Someone who actually watches it tell me this part afterward so I know how mad to be

Oh my God is this actually him