Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In my defense it’s not so pronounced in person but yeah lol he accidentally thicc as hell.

Edit now that’s a page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

PinheadSlim posted:

Stupid sexy Spiderman!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the 40k thread:

JackMann posted:

Finished up the test model for my Iron Hands scheme.

Ignore the super big base. I just needed something to balance him on while I took pictures. Thinking I like the blue accents instead of the red, so I'll probably keep going with that. I'm not super happy with the way a lot of the edge highlights just disappear on camera. I think I'm doing something wrong with the lighting, but I'm not sure what.

I also need to work on my decal application. This was my first time working with them, and I definitely didn't do enough relief cuts.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Taeke posted:

No way those are your first minis. drat, good job, they look awesome!

Thanks! To be fair we were following a guide that kind of helped it be Paint by Numbers a bit. Looking forward to continuing with the other Gloomhaven classes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Anybody got hot tips, tricks, and idiot-proof approaches for a novice painter trying checkerboard and harlequin patterns?

Transfers? How do those work?

Thanks mates

Depending on how large you want them, if you've not done a lot of freehand before a micro-pen may be a good option - assuming you want the checkers in black.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Bit of a painting round-up; managed to get the light box set up today, so took some better photos of the last couple of months' Oath stuff.

Skaeth's Wild Hunt for Beastgrave/underworlds.

And some Eternal Guard for AoS, with kitbashed command.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

R0ckfish posted:

Adrax done!

I like everything about it except for the skin tone, which I know is :can: but also one of the most annoying parts of the hobby

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
We finally got our first paints, and while he was assembling his minis, I painted my first one.

Winged it on the color scheme. The trickiest part for me is getting the feel for how much to thin the paint. I definitely went too far in both directions while painting this. Looking forward to more practice over winter break.

I will say its a lot easier than painting things that keep moving, though. (Spoilered in case folks don't want to look at a roach thorax.)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dienes posted:

We finally got our first paints, and while he was assembling his minis, I painted my first one.

Winged it on the color scheme. The trickiest part for me is getting the feel for how much to thin the paint. I definitely went too far in both directions while painting this. Looking forward to more practice over winter break.

I will say its a lot easier than painting things that keep moving, though. (Spoilered in case folks don't want to look at a roach thorax.)

Gonna need some context on that spoiler tag, boss.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
He is Risen.

Hollis Mason returns.

Hail.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ijyt posted:

TTerrible posted:

He is Risen.

Hollis Mason returns.

Hail.

Post your insects.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ijyt posted:

Part of my student funding comes from managing the psych department's roach lab. Since we need to track things like age, sex, group assignment, deprivation status, etc. across individuals, each one needs to be marked. Since there's a few hundred of them, we need to come up with a lot of unique markers.That particular one, NF022, was painted on July 4th, so I had some fun with it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dienes posted:

Part of my student funding comes from managing the psych department's roach lab. Since we need to track things like age, sex, group assignment, deprivation status, etc. across individuals, each one needs to be marked. Since there's a few hundred of them, we need to come up with a lot of unique markers.That particular one, NF022, was painted on July 4th, so I had some fun with it.

You don't understand how relieved I am.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I like everything about it except for the skin tone, which I know is :can: but also one of the most annoying parts of the hobby

I dont know if it comes over on the picture, but I tried to go for a literal ash colour as opposed to a human skin tone. I might not have accomplished it though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Radioactive Toy posted:

Thanks! To be fair we were following a guide that kind of helped it be Paint by Numbers a bit. Looking forward to continuing with the other Gloomhaven classes.

Sorastro?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Done just in time.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone have thoughts on Krystal Fortress, or something equivalent, cases for transport, storage, and display? I usually use KR multicases but I'm currently working on painting up every single current Necromunda model and for some reason am drawn to Krystal Fortress for this project.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 25, 2019

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Beffer posted:

Sorastro?

Yep! Definitely love his guides, especially as a novice painter they are getting me acquainted with a lot.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dienes posted:

Your job is painting cockroaches?

I'm not sure if I envy or pity you. Probably both, at the same time.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Geisladisk posted:

Your job is painting cockroaches?

I'm not sure if I envy or pity you. Probably both, at the same time.

Well, also husbandry, cleaning, database management, protocol development, undergrad training, etc. but only the painting is miniature-adjacent. Imagine if you had to time your brush strokes for when the Blood Angel wasn't licking himself.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Done just in time.

Merry Christmas! This owns so hard.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Contributing my own Red Gobbo for Christmas!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone have recommended bottles to transfer Citadel paint into? Citadel paint bottles are bad.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I saw in the 'eavier metal facebook group multiple people claiming that the metal flakes in metallic paints can act like little razor blades, and eventually mess up your brushes. Definitely not something I've ever noticed over long periods of using them. Is that really a thing?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Booyah- posted:

I saw in the 'eavier metal facebook group multiple people claiming that the metal flakes in metallic paints can act like little razor blades, and eventually mess up your brushes. Definitely not something I've ever noticed over long periods of using them. Is that really a thing?

My experience with Citadels Leadbelcher paint is that it will gently caress up your brushes, and I am trying to find a good solution to this. It dries very quickly into a lump on your brush and sticks there, it's hard to wash off.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone have recommended bottles to transfer Citadel paint into? Citadel paint bottles are bad.

I bought a bunch of these for making washes and stuff and have no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016B34H2G/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_v.-aEbGZF3K11

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

So we finished our 6 Gloomhaven starting classes prior to beginning the campaign tomorrow. I used dullcote and followed up with painted on 'ardcoat for the metallic parts of the armor that lost their shine from the dullcote. The metallics have a sheen again, but they definitely don't have a luster that the metallics originally had. The surfaces reflect light but are missing the neat metallic glitters that were there prior to varnishing. Is there a good solution to this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I bought a bunch of these for making washes and stuff and have no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016B34H2G/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_v.-aEbGZF3K11

Thanks! There are really just a few Citadel paints that are problematic, it probably has to do with their specific thickness and how they are made. They are just super messy. Khorne Red, and Ledbelcher have been the worst.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've never used citadel paints. They seem really expensive compared to reaper or vallejo and come in lovely cups instead of dropper bottles. The only Citadel paint product I bought was some liquid green stuff, which was dried up when I got home and opened it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

I order from SKS bottles. Specifically these. Make sure you go with the controlled dropper tips and not the streaming dropper tips. These are pretty much exactly what Reaper and Vallejo use. I then get some address labels to mark them and use a small funnel to transfer paints over.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Radioactive Toy posted:

So we finished our 6 Gloomhaven starting classes prior to beginning the campaign tomorrow. I used dullcote and followed up with painted on 'ardcoat for the metallic parts of the armor that lost their shine from the dullcote. The metallics have a sheen again, but they definitely don't have a luster that the metallics originally had. The surfaces reflect light but are missing the neat metallic glitters that were there prior to varnishing. Is there a good solution to this?

gloss varnish

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

gloss varnish

Oh I thought that's what the Citadel 'ardcoat was. Maybe it makes sense to do gloss first and then matte where it's not supposed to shine. .

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Whoops, quote is not edit.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Radioactive Toy posted:

Oh I thought that's what the Citadel 'ardcoat was. Maybe it makes sense to do gloss first and then matte where it's not supposed to shine. .

'ardcoat is gloss varnish, and will give a uniform sheen. A satin varnish is often a better match for metallics than gloss.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Booley posted:

'ardcoat is gloss varnish, and will give a uniform sheen. A satin varnish is often a better match for metallics than gloss.

This makes sense, I'll have to pick some up and try it out. Thanks!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Booyah- posted:

It is absolutely true. I wanted to paint up my Primaris marines as Iron Hawks and after painting about 10 of them my brushes were noticeably hosed, and I've never had that problem with any other paint scheme before.

If I had to do it over again I would definitely prime with a rattlecan of Leadbelcher or just drybrush it on with a lovely brush.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I read the same thing in this very thread probably a year ago and started then to use whatever brush that comes with in GW kits for metallic paints and keep the nice Windsor ones for the rest. The GW brushes definitely get messed up, from the metallics I assume.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So, uh, a friend gave me a few Reapers minis from their KS#5 (I think). The plastic is fairly soft compared to GW's (never tried a mini besides GW before). And I'm having issue to get the glue to, well, glue the pieces together. I use my normal Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, I even tried Uhu super glue, but the pieces just won't stick together. What am I doing wrong?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

are they definitely plastic as opposed to resin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
They're plastic. You'll want super glue (cyanoacrylate) for them. They are a softer plastic, though they've gotten better as the line's gone on. They still don't have quite the same level of detail as GW plastics, but they're good for the price, and it's hard to beat them for the sheer range of minis they have.