Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Riatsala posted:

I thought I was hellbanned once but as it turns out I'm such a boring, milquetoast non-contributor that everyone was subconsciously plastering over my posts in self-defense.

I need to turn on my monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Samuringa posted:

quote:

Kevin Bacon, 25, was reported missing when he didn’t show up for breakfast with his family on Christmas Day, WJBK reported.
Are you loving kidding me

Beachcomber posted:

I wonder how many degrees he cooked him at.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think "shadow ban" is a myth that comes from some weird forums code. My understanding is that someone can be banned without it showing in the Lepers Colony and people who have received such bans thought something sneaky was going on.

It's not. As has been said, it caused successive posts to appear the same color. This was years ago, before your reg date. And it was called hellbanning. Shadowban is a Reddit term.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's not. As has been said, it caused successive posts to appear the same color. This was years ago, before your reg date. And it was called hellbanning. Shadowban is a Reddit term.

We are discussing two separate phenomena.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
There was also a time when you could be banned in such a way that you could only access one forum that didn't appear in the list, as I recall. There were always a lot of experimental moderation tools, basically until Radium was kicked out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Though I think Reddit does call hellbanning shadowbanning.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fishmech was trained to coupons for a while but idk if that was a forums feature or just a ban-on-sight if posting elsewhere situation

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Krankenstyle posted:

fishmech was trained to coupons for a while but idk if that was a forums feature or just a ban-on-sight if posting elsewhere situation

Nah, whenever they posted it would go straight to the gas chamber

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

canyoneer posted:

ahh this is the woods corn that goons are always waxing nostalgic about

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Putty posted:

where the heck was tombstonebuilder.com when i was in graphics school

Heath posted:

It was called Oregon Trail

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
So goodbye, yellow corn rail...

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

We welcome you to, the whistle stop guild

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

The best part of hellbans was you could tell when someone posted because you'd see two posts next to each other with the same shade.

Oh poo poo, is that what that was? I remember seeing that few times and wondering what was up. Figured it was something about Radium’s terrible coding etc.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's a safe bet and you're not wrong

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

HairyManling posted:

Oh poo poo, is that what that was? I remember seeing that few times and wondering what was up. Figured it was something about Radium’s terrible coding etc.

Technically it's both.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The forums upgrade where if you were probated you can post, but only post in the probation subforum...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pick posted:

The forums upgrade where if you were probated you can post, but only post in the probation subforum...

So all the best worst posts in one place?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pick posted:

oh my god we may have a new comedy tool. just a posting pit for mocking people for being on probation

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pick posted:

I'm pretty sure the forums are capable of having a forum that only people who are banned can post in or view, surely this will go well.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The real probation is the friends you make along the way

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm pretty sure the forums are capable of having a forum that only people who are banned can post in or view, surely this will go well.

I'm gonna be the wet blanket and say this is a bad idea.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I thought we just shut down that forum?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shut up Meg posted:

I thought we just shut down that forum?

:vince:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I was thinking one everyone could post in, even probated people

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's called gamemaster anthony's birthday and it exists once a year

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Milo and POTUS posted:

:kimchi:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

(Everyone comes in)

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

pangstrom posted:

I always thought hellban was the coolest idea. One of my favorite old Loveline bits was when a caller would have real pressurized speech and they would mute the audio and every few minutes would check in to hear the person still talking and they would say "oh yeah" or "uh huh, like you said" and then mute them again.

There's people who are absolutely convinced that Twitter is doing this to them personally because they can think of no other reason that people would avoid or ignore them. They'll #hashtag about it and follow each other, which makes it even worse because they expect everyone else to think about & respond to their opinions but not vice versa, so they'll have hundreds or thousands of followers but still nobody gives a poo poo about them. Bot accounts simply add to the mayhem.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I wanna see the intersection between those people and the "gangstalking" weirdos.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

PhazonLink posted:

so its a slightly worse and a bun version of the Juicy Lucy( a burger with chess in the patty, also not liquid cheese, gooey cheese)

By popular demand posted:

truely a meal fit for a grandmaster.

Phy posted:

One night in Bangkok and the world's your burger
The bun is crusty but it's filled with cheese
Your arteries will be in excess turgor
It's hard to hold the pawns with all this greaze
(You should call a time-out and get napkins, please)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

ArmZ posted:

grand mal seizure is just french for big bad seizure

haunted bong posted:

in france they're called a royale with seize

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

I WANT TO SEE THE WORST MAYO

Synthbuttrange posted:

I WANT TO UNSEE THE WORST MAYO

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Milo and POTUS posted:

The 28th of February! I believe he turns 45 this year.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with all my pills and a glass of water

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

he's 45 not 90 jesus christ

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Syd Midnight posted:

There's people who are absolutely convinced that Twitter is doing this to them personally because they can think of no other reason that people would avoid or ignore them. They'll #hashtag about it and follow each other, which makes it even worse because they expect everyone else to think about & respond to their opinions but not vice versa, so they'll have hundreds or thousands of followers but still nobody gives a poo poo about them. Bot accounts simply add to the mayhem.

Also a lot of insecure and/or desperate content creators who fall for every totally unsubstantiated rumor or protip about trying to game the algorithm in their favor are now convinced that the reason their drawings and videos aren't blowing up is because they were shadowbanned for retweeting their own content or commiting any number of imaginary faux pas rather than the much more obvious conclusion that they just aren't very good and people don't respond well to having you spam their timeline with the same piece over and over in a desperate bid for validation. Even this very site has a long-running totally unproven conspiracy theory about being shadowbanned on Google and other places due to an imagined grudge from some anonymous employee working there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IG on the other hand has easily testable shadowbans.

They don't show up in searches unless you type their entire username (even if you follow) and don't show up in hashtags.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:vince:

:nsavince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Aphrodite posted:

IG on the other hand has easily testable shadowbans.

They don't show up in searches unless you type their entire username (even if you follow) and don't show up in hashtags.

anywhere accounts are free its easy to test for a shadowban. log in with an alt and see if you can see your post

once you start thinking that IP shadowbans are a thing, thats when you gotta :tinfoil: