Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

it looks like their are some studies that recommend surgeons to swap out their masks between cases or after 2 hours to prevent bacterial shedding

it’s been a while, and i am dumb, but bacteria can grow on moist surfaces but viral particles need cells / host to propagate

so wear a mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Inceltown posted:

Literally all I'm saying is 30 min is the time limit on wearing a mask before it needs to be 100% sterilised. They're not useless but they have an upper bound on effectiveness.

Again, correct.

For you goony goons, here's an analogy.

The expiration date on your industrial tub of mayonnaise is several years on the shelf.

But it needs refrigeration (cleaning) if you open it (use it for 30 minutes).

Your fat rear end (dumb rear end) is going to get doodoo rear end (infect others) if you gently caress around (gently caress around).

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
please god. don’t hoard masks please. we need them so badly. please

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Again, correct.

For you goony goons, here's an analogy.

The expiration date on your industrial tub of mayonnaise is several years on the shelf.

But it needs refrigeration (cleaning) if you open it (use it for 30 minutes).

Your fat rear end (dumb rear end) is going to get doodoo rear end (infect others) if you gently caress around (gently caress around).

this isnt true jesus christ.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
[dumb post removed]

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Washing your hands is more important than a mask. Keeping distance is more important than a mask. Wash your hands before putting on or taking off a mask. This isn't rocket science it's just understanding risk. A mask is not a moderate term solution. Practice better everything else and then add a mask in as needed.

all of it is important

wearing a mask helps

so just wear a loving mask lmao

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Yes, the CDC has its guidelines. Our national health system does too and this is what they've determined is acceptable. I'm trying to provide information that can help people understand risks around the roni.

I genuinely didn't think "masks aren't that safe, practice everything else and use them as a last resort" was going to be that hard to explain and sorry if I didn't get that across but it's what I'm trying to point out.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Inceltown posted:

When I say "the health department" I mean the literal Australian Health Department. The people that keep our whole countries (and a whole bunch of NZ) rules / guidelines going along. I thought it was pretty obvious from my posting history that it was where I'm from and what I'm talking about. This isn't chuddy mcmayor from bumfuck nowherestan information.

I don't have links to things because guess what, poo poo changes every day and I'm passing off the most current information that is being given to our doctors as relayed to me. Calling it hearsay is my way of saying "this is something I heard" and I respect the gently caress out of the source so relayed it to the thread. It's not a tweet I read, a post I saw or some poo poo that I overheard from a social distanced conversation. It is literal, national, health guidelines for our public health doctors in Australia. If you have a better source go nuts but this isn't just a whatever post.

You’re right it’s not a whatever post it’s much worse; it’s a damaging and incredible stupid post of false information.

Even if the Aus health department says something along the lines of that there’s a huge of amount of importance in the specific details and your playing telephone game with that information, which again I have to emphasize you can’t even back up with any sort of line, IS ACTIVELY DAMAGING AND INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS AND STUPID.

If you can’t find *literally any source* to back up your *literal hearsay claims* then it’s a good sign you should shut up. Preferably forever.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
how long do I keep my mask plugged in for

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Radirot posted:

how long do I keep my mask plugged in for

butt chug the mask

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Yes, the CDC has its guidelines. Our national health system does too and this is what they've determined is acceptable. I'm trying to provide information that can help people understand risks around the roni.

I genuinely didn't think "masks aren't that safe, practice everything else and use them as a last resort" was going to be that hard to explain and sorry if I didn't get that across but it's what I'm trying to point out.

You haven’t even posted your CDC’s guidelines you cuntmuffin

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.france24.com/en/20200403-as-coronavirus-creeps-into-french-care-homes-a-tsunami-of-deaths-unnumbered

The French decided to check in on how their nursing homes are doing and, uh...

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Hello, grocery store clerk here again!

I'm still apparently avoiding COVID19. Last week we had some weak-rear end plexiglass installed around the registers, and today they reinforced the plexiglass by increasing the area they cover. I'm using hand sanitizer between nearly every order and I am afraid of what will happen when we eventually run out.

The store is mostly well-stocked now, but toilet paper and commercially sold hand sanitizers are still MIA. We got a single pallet of dry goods today despite ordering way more, so sometimes the distributors are having big trouble meeting demands. I have heard that within 4 weeks food shortages on certain products may begin, but I don't know what to believe anymore. I'm in the camp of, "I'll deal with that when it happens."

Still overworked, but trying to persevere. Most of my free-time, I'm too exhausted to do much more than play an hour of Animal Crossing, followed by sporadic net browsing due to lack of focus and energy.

Please take care, those of you in other essential positions, and especially medical workers. Let's all try to find some respite when able.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i thought it was better than MK1

Man no way, Annihilation is so bad compared to the original movie. Johnny Cage was so good, and Billy Madison's teacher was such a great Sonya. And the Highlander was Rayden!!!

The Grimace has issued a correction as of 09:22 on Apr 4, 2020

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Inceltown posted:

its because its wrong, masks are effective if they are used properly, and there is absolutely no actual science to back up the assertion that they become ineffective for viruses after 30 minutes of use. you also said if you werent in the medical field its just security theater, which is both wrong and irresponsible to tell people. we need people wearing masks, even lovely cloth ones. it will reduce the spread and save lives.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this isnt true jesus christ.

'tis

Rexicon1 posted:

Literally park your stupid asses inside. You idiots don't need masks. Healthcare providers do.

We're bleaching and reusing our poo poo because lardasses are masking up to go sight-see the lines at Costco.

loving watch Tiger Show. Eat canned spray cheese and jerk off. Stop wearing our masks.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

I was just gonna wear my neck gaiter. It doubles as a poo poo mask for disease and being able to make it difficult to identify a man running from a burning police car.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

*france quietly adds 20.000 infected and hope nobody notice*

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Do people even have masks? I have 10 n95s, brought them ages ago but tbh I'd probably donate them to a hospital if my country got really bad because 10 doesn't really seem like enough for regular use...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Radirot posted:

gently caress masks im getting o2 tanks and scuba gear.

According to google it takes about 25 minutes to fill a scuba tank that will let you breath about an hour.

What's the effect of high pressure on virus particles? Coz if it kills them I think we're onto something really dumb and/or clever but still really dumb.

Hospital staff could probably skip wearing fins tho.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

masks are for the healthcare workers, bandanas for all

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

just pressurize the earth bing bong coronas dead

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Outrail posted:

According to google it takes about 25 minutes to fill a scuba tank that will let you breath about an hour.

What's the effect of high pressure on virus particles? Coz if it kills them I think we're onto something really dumb and/or clever but still really dumb.

NO fins are the key to survival, don't ask me how I know

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

a better explanation:

wearing a mask to prevent the roni is like putting a sock on your dick. yes, there may be leakage, and eventually you should clean it, but it prevents cum infections being sprayed all over your funco pop collection

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

'tis

Literally park your stupid asses inside. You idiots don't need masks. Healthcare providers do.

We're bleaching and reusing our poo poo because lardasses are masking up to go sight-see the lines at Costco.

loving watch Tiger Show. Eat canned spray cheese and jerk off. Stop wearing our masks.

is this where we thank you for your service, officer?

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Rah! posted:

just pressurize the earth bing bong coronas dead

nuclear bombs cause sufficient overpressure to prevent corona infections in people

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Coal mines in my area still asking workers to come in. The guys who died on site in the last couple of years all showed signs of black lung on autopsy so I guess they plan to blame all future respiratory conditions on Covid, clever fuckers.

On second thought they will probably do that. jfc

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
googles mass spying mobility reports: https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

italy and spain have -90% traffic to most places

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
To get back to zero:

Civilians: don't hoard masks. Don't wear them constantly. Don't go out. Wash your hands. Brush your teeth. Bathe. gently caress off. Stay inside. Go hog wild masturbating. Learn guitar. Just please loving stay inside and don't hoard masks.

Medical personnel: if you're supremely hosed on supplies, your mask can become a vector if used too long. You absolutely can exhale the virus through your mask because while it can't reproduce on your mask, it can reproduce in you, accumulate in your mask, be expelled, and infect others. This ugly bitch can live for DAYS in the moist environment of your mask. You can also start sucking it in if a sufficient amount collected on the exterior, but that's unlikely. The main concern here is you, as a healthcare provider, becoming a vector.

If all hope is lost, even beyond washing your mask, at least be aware.

And this is why civilians especially shouldn't hoard masks. Providers as vectors is a worst case scenario you're creating.

These masks aren't miracle cure-alls. They have limits. Respect that poo poo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

poty posted:

googles mass spying mobility reports

https://twitter.com/stephanie5878/status/1246259156815876096

italy and spain are at -90% traffic to most places

Are these numbers corrected for hospitalizations and deaths?

Kinda being serious.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Tag yourself I'm the narrow band in the mid-central U.S. where nobody loving lives

The Saucer Hovers posted:

can you feel that roni ache your balls?

Actually the CDC says if you lose your arousal, you're probably afflicted with covid

in other words

quote:

Lost the horny?
Caught the roni!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the assertion that they become ineffective for viruses after 30 minutes of use.

Nobody said this.

Because ineffective doesn't mean less effective, and optimal surgical mask usage in surgical theater is a different beast from

Australia copy/pasting standard guidelines for use in the face of not having anything at all is pretty poo poo, though

Outrail posted:

Compressed tanks are heavy as gently caress, and still have weight even when underwater and full of buoyant air, because it's compressed so much. They're... not ideal

Hell, SCBA gear is usually small and portable, but has something like a 15 minute function, designed to get the hell out of danger and little else

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Rah! posted:

they did some poo poo to white people too. Here's one example (SF was 90% white back then):

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/1950-us-released-bioweapon-san-francisco-180955819/

:911:

Also a lot of poo poo like this is where chemtrails nutters base their poo poo. Turns out spraying bioweapons on citizens have long term cultural effects.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

eighty-four merc posted:

is this where we thank you for your service, officer?

Eat my rear end with expired dunkaroo frosting, bitch.

Drinkfist posted:

I was just gonna wear my neck gaiter. It doubles as a poo poo mask for disease and being able to make it difficult to identify a man running from a burning police car.

This guy gets it.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

In the vein of ”why the gently caress couldnt we do this before” the Finnish government has announced that studying wont prevent you from getting unemployment allowance and payday lending advertisement has been banned and a hard 10 percent annual interest rate cap will be put in place.

Meanwhile in Sweden the prime minister has told the media that their death toll will be ”in the thousands,” if the current projections hold thats a *lot* more than in any other nordic country which are pretty much comparable in terms of population and healthcare resources.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

According to my info, getting a BCG after a positive TB test isn't going to do anything about the TB.

And the BCG vaccine isn't available in the US right now.

And because I'm TB positive no one will give it.

So even if it were I'd be screwed.

Because the US is 300 years behind civilized countries in terms of healthcare.

Just lie like I will if I have to (poz mantoux).

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like at least one person, probably two people, die every minute of every hour right now and it's just going to keep accelerating for like 2-3 entire weeks

I feel like I keep thinking I have a handle on how traumatizing this is going to be even if nobody I know personally dies(unlikely) but it's probably like thinking you know how bad getting shot is gonna hurt, all my most horrible imaginings are probably not preparing me for how gut wrenchingly horrible watching like 2 million people in america alone die in the next two months will be

i read an article about how here in mississippi, the state health dept has figures and stuff they could be telling us but they simply aren't because they don't want people to panic, stuff like, how many nursing homes have confirmed infections, which is apparently a fairly high number. but they won't name which ones because then people would panic!

I don't know how I want people to act different. Do I want them to? I mean I want them to social distance properly. do I want them to freak out? I'm just freaked out by how not freaked out everyone here in MS seems. Because folks, I am freakin' the gently caress out

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

shovelbum posted:

Doesn't anyone who's spent more than a few minutes in a healthcare setting false positive for tb

Coming in contact with an active TB patient in america is incredibly rare. I've only encountered 2 active TB patients in the 12 years I've been in health care. Granted imaging doesn't go through a relatively high volume of patients. My last job did chest xrays for the state TB program, which you'd do if a ppd was positive. So pretty much immigrants from china and inda, and anyone that got the bcg vaccine. Despite doing all those TB r/o patients, the only time I encountered an active TB patient at this job was not from the chest xrays, but an entirely unrelated mri abdomen.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Oil! posted:

West Texas Oil price essentially doubled the past 2 days because Trump made a tweet.

We were so hosed and remain so hosed.

and we should rightfully die.

Hey, are there still negative prices on certain types of crude?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

petroleum getting cheaper despite the oil spike, won't last, saudi's do whatever.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ added new columns for number of tests and tests per million population

unexpectedly low number of tests in france and the uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sorry I passed on what is being told to our healthcare workers here.

Don't worry it won't happen again.