Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

OFFICER LIGER (6): zzyzx, Voodoofly, Khris Kruel, OFFICER LIGER, LordNad, jivjov
Amnistar (2): yuming, Varinn, OFFICER LIGER, OFFICER LIGER
LordNad (2): jivjov, The Ninth Layer, Tom Tucker, jivjov
Khris Kruel (1): merk
zzyzx (1): The Ninth Layer, The Ninth Layer, Amnistar, vivat virtute, vivat virtute
Varinn (1): Jose Valasquez
CapnAndy (0): LordNad, LordNad
merk (0): Jose Valasquez, Jose Valasquez, Voodoofly, Voodoofly
The Ninth Layer (0): zzyzx, zzyzx
Sandwolf (0): Amnistar, Amnistar
jivjov (0): LordNad, LordNad
Deadbeat Dad (0): vivat virtute, vivat virtute

Not Voting (10): 50 pounds of bread, CapnAndy, CCKeane, Deadbeat Dad, hambeet, Jamuraan, kumba, Sandwolf, Token Female, vivat virtute

With 23 alive, it's 12 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 05th, 2020 at 8 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Weird. ##unvote

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Deadline set for Tuesday at 8pm Eastern

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Amni's follow up reads more town to me.

This is in response to Varinn's explanation.

hambeet posted:

I think over explaining an action would have been more suspicious. Amnistar does not seem suss on the action or his explanation.

Leaning on this just seems like lowest hanging fruit.
So, my vote on Amni was based on his tone "lol what a joke!" I agree with Varinn's take.

I hate this wording by hambeet.

Calling the votes on Amni ~lowest hanging fruit~ reads like ham overselling their suspicion level on anyone who voted Amni.

hambeet also doesn't vote here. "Gee those sure are some bad votes!"

I think hambeet's perspective reads likes scum speaking negatively about the votes on Amni-- who scum-hambeet sees as an easy target.

##vote hambeet

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I hope everyone is having a nice weekend :sun:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Sandwolf posted:

I agree with the first part and to a lesser degree the second part but:

While this does seem characteristically un-thoughtful from Amni (and I can see a scum motivation for it), I think it's more likely he just got overexcited with a vig like every does

##unvote

This is what I thought Liger was responding to with the “Almost enough for me to vote”. I missed that sandy made a second post about Amnistars avatar. I see it was a joke now because I’m very good at this game.

I also didn’t realize Amnistars avatar changed so early because As stated I’m very good at this game.

Wow my phone auto corrects amni to Amnistar.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Voodoofly posted:

##unvote

This is what I thought Liger was responding to with the “Almost enough for me to vote”. I missed that sandy made a second post about Amnistars avatar. I see it was a joke now because I’m very good at this game.

I also didn’t realize Amnistars avatar changed so early because As stated I’m very good at this game.

Wow my phone auto corrects amni to Amnistar.

You phone is a refined individual.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Amnistar posted:

You phone is a refined individual.

You need to get Orko back fast

Do any of you use apps or something to read the thread if you are playing mafia on your phone. Trying to go back and quote or multi quote sucks on this site. I don’t remember it being this bad back when I was playing but maybe I didn’t use my phone all that much back then either. Might break my goal of avoiding my computer on weekends just to play this stupid game.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Voodoofly posted:

Do any of you use apps or something to read the thread if you are playing mafia on your phone. Trying to go back and quote or multi quote sucks on this site. I don’t remember it being this bad back when I was playing but maybe I didn’t use my phone all that much back then either. Might break my goal of avoiding my computer on weekends just to play this stupid game.

I use the something awful app, which is awful for that.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

zzyzx posted:

If you want to criticize Varinn's case for being premature, I get that. Varinn doesn't want Amni to coast into the sunset off of one shot; great, then Varinn should case him for that later, if it looks like that's what Amni is actually doing.

I just don't see the "now you've made him aware that he has to participate, and he has room to do it because you voted for him" bit.

Maybe it seems more harsh than I meant it, it just gives Varinn very little odds of making a similar (and good) case by pointing it out right away, whether or not Amni ever had the intent of doing that in the first place or if being "aware" even crossed his mind. Most games I've seen Amni in, he's pretty active and helpful (or pretend helpful as scum). It's a criticism because it's projecting and not completely sincere because half of what he accused Amni of doing never happened.

Still confused about MiR's "random poo poo" comment on me though.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

LordNad your point by point rebuttal read very genuine to me. I may disagree a bit with your reasoning but the way you approached the response gives me a good vibe!

##unvote

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Way too

Voodoofly posted:

Android awful app is much better at this than iOS awful app I’ve found.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Amnistar posted:

I would vote this post if it were not their first game.

Lol on rereading I had this exact thought and then read your response verbalizing my thoughts.

LordNad, who pinged my gut earlier, just gave a very long post overexplaining an early D1 vote. I think it may just be a generational thing though, as many of you older players seem more willing to give very thoughtful responses even when one may not be necessary. TT thought it was good, I thought it felt a little bit too..thorough, for what it was.

Not gonna vote there yet but that’s where I’d like to

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I get it Sandwolf but to be fair it was tit for tat - I did a big post targeting him, if he had replied with a "lol" or a smaller vote anyone could say he was avoiding the issue. He put effort in, and his effort felt like a legit attempt to explain his feelings. Even if it didn't effort day 1 is a big signal to me.

Look to the lurkers I say. There you shall find your scum.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this is very very very important and will help me determine who is the scum

Should I make a blue cheese buffalo burger or patty melt

Tots or shoestring fries

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

I can’t tell if this is a joke but if this is serious it’s a pretty weak accusation

(Sup TNL long time. You still in LA?)

Hey sup. I'm in Michigan now for work but hopefully getting back to SoCal in a year or two.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tom Tucker posted:

I get it Sandwolf but to be fair it was tit for tat - I did a big post targeting him, if he had replied with a "lol" or a smaller vote anyone could say he was avoiding the issue. He put effort in, and his effort felt like a legit attempt to explain his feelings. Even if it didn't effort day 1 is a big signal to me.

Look to the lurkers I say. There you shall find your scum.

It’s day one with a gazillion hours left and what I’d consider some pretty good day 1 content, and you’re suggesting we pursue the lurker’s?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Amnistar posted:

So, I'm gonna go with ##vote zzyzx

Here is why:

This is a manufactured reason not to vote for me that they made up...and it completely contradicts everything I've said so far about why I did shoot steak. almost as if zzyzx knows I'm not scum, and needs to create a reason not to vote for me.

I'm down with this. The Amnistar vig is probably the best thing to find fake content so far today, and this zzyzx thing is probably the best fake content to find.

##vote zzyzx

Would also vote KK.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
Overall I don't feel like amnistar shooting is a town read as people are saying. I think it's probably more likely to be town, but I don't think it's a move that ONLY town would do. I do have a hard time relating to just wanting to shoot a dayvig at first chance. I think as scum or town I would sit on it for a few days so I won't be doing something dumb. Maybe I'm too conservative.

hambeet posted:

hmmm so are these

Are these votes (and Yuming's) bad because they are voting for Amnistar because you think Amnistar is town? Or because you don't like how they frame their votes?

jivjov posted:

I'm really getting the feeling that being new to this game, and all of you, is gonna be a massive disadvantage haha.

Nah. The only thing you need is courage. If you have that, you will be fine.

Khris Kruel posted:

[Case on LIGER]

This reads like scum trying to find an easy lynch wave to get momentum going, and really not caring about Amni's alignment at all

##vote OFFICER LIGER

I think this case is silly. I think LIGER is not serious in any of the posts you quoted. The vote for amnistar is "You didn't do a cool enough job using your daykill". I don't think it's a real vote.
Also KK says that this is a 100% town tell on amnistar (in that post but in a part I cut out), and I don't think that's true (see above).

Khris Kruel posted:

When you voted he had 3 votes by my count. Seems like an awful place to put a joke vote when a bandwagon was forming. It's a good cover for scum though.

I don't disagree that it's a vote that can get things moving. But I don't think LIGER sees it that way. I think you might still feel burned after HP mafia.

merk posted:

It’s fake because the analysis is really surface level. I added on that Steak is usually a negative player for town to say that scum probably wouldn’t kill him d1.

Having played with Steak only once where I was scum, I think that this is true. Steak was a good person to have around later in the game.

LordNad posted:

So you admit you voted for a guy with 2 serious votes who you thought was town

Oh man. You got him.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

hambeet posted:

It’s day one with a gazillion hours left and what I’d consider some pretty good day 1 content, and you’re suggesting we pursue the lurker’s?

I’m going to go thru the thread this morning after I get a project done but let’s be clear we should absolutely lynch a lurker on day 1 without something really persuasive otherwise.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Voodoofly posted:

Like Tokes won’t be around much today but much more active during the week.

Am I missing something on Liger? Everyone is saying he made an obvious joke post. I definitely didn’t read that “sort of suspect amni but need something more” as a joke.

It was a THIRD VOTE!

Khris Kruel posted:

Also notice that merk hasn't once mentioned their read on officer liger

I don't think I've given my read on LIGER. I think he's having fun. I don't have a reason to call him townie, but I think the reason why people are voting for him is poor. I'm concerned of how strongly it seems that people feel about the case.

jivjov posted:

Doing some reading back, and yeah...Liger building momentum on someone like that seems a bit sus....tbh I don't know you well enough to definitely trust my own reads, but when they are already lining up with the majority...

##vote OFFICER LIGER

I don't like how wishywashy this vote is. Like we are already backing off it if LIGER is town. ALSO A SIXTH VOTE!!!!!1111cos(0)cos(0)

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Weird. ##unvote

You format issued yourself.

yuming posted:

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend :sun:

I'm very interested in hear your opinion on people who haven't called you suspicious as well! I like active Yuming and am scared of reactive Yuming.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

hambeet posted:

It's day one with a gazillion hours left and I'm saying paying attention to people who are sitting on the sidelines after they've had a few days to weigh in is a good idea, yes!

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Token Female posted:

It was a THIRD VOTE!

The fact that it was a THIRD VOTE isn't necessarily the point. Assuming for the sake of argument that it's a joke, queuing up your joke vote with "I'd join this but I want to see more evidence first" is weird. And then waiting until other people have made serious votes and plonking down your joke vote right after is also weird.

Take this post from Voodoo:

Voodoofly posted:

On an unrelated note, I’m now fine voting amni day 1 just so I don’t have to see that avatar anymore.

I think that's fine on its own. But imagine if he put "But I want to see more before I vote." at the end of it, and then I made a long case where I vote Amni after changing my mind and definitively proving that he's scum, and then Voodoo immediately signs on once I'm done. We'd yell at him for that. (I certainly would.)

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

The Ninth Layer posted:

Hey sup. I'm in Michigan now for work but hopefully getting back to SoCal in a year or two.

I'm actually up in San Francisco now, and was in the process of immigrating to Vancouver until the border was shut down.

The Ninth Layer posted:

merk says he's unavailable but then makes a post seven minutes later, highly suspicious.

##vote The Ninth Layer

I already asked if this was a joke or not, but I don't really think I care anymore. If it was serious its just a horrible accusation to throw out and see if it gains traction. I'm assuming its a joke, though, which means its the closest thing you have to a serious post this game and you are too skilled of a player to be allowed to slide on Day 1.

You can also consider this a vote for anyone else who hasn't contributed yet (50, Andy, CCK, Jammy, probably other people).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

zzyzx posted:

Truly, Amni's greatest sin is murdering the jokephase.

Guys, I'd like to join this weak vote, but want to appear thoughtful about it before I do. Somebody please give me permission to do so, using graphs and charts where available.

Oh, okay. That'll work.

Next post:

zzyzx posted:

Truly, Amni's greatest sin is murdering the jokephase.

Guys, I'd like to join this weak vote, but want to appear thoughtful about it before I do. Somebody please give me permission to do so, using graphs and charts where available.

Oh, okay. That'll work.

Next post:

As someone who voted Liger because I completely missed that Liger was making a joke about Amni's avatar, wanted to see if you still are holding to this rationale for your vote on Liger or if there is anything else you have right now for voting him.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

HP is the only game I've played with Liger but this is the opposite vibe I got from him there and he wasn't pro-town in that game

Same thing as my vote on TNL. So far you have an opposite vibe finding someone as town, but that's it? Anything else?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

As someone who voted Liger because I completely missed that Liger was making a joke about Amni's avatar, wanted to see if you still are holding to this rationale for your vote on Liger or if there is anything else you have right now for voting him.

I still think it's a decent vote, as day one votes go.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, his posting is way different here. I'm not sure how to read it yet but it's hugely noticable.

CapnAndy posted:

Same, but for this post
Maybe don't flat out admit that you're voting someone just because they're voting you? It is bad form.

So you also have a vague town hunch on Liger, but would also vote JigJov except it's their first game so instead you offer some sagely advice.

I know it's early on Monday and a lot of people (me included) are way less active on the weekends, but you got a nice amount of posts not saying anything so far.

I was going to just go down the player list like this but it's going to get old. Like I said, consider my vote on TNL a vote on everyone who has been skating by.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

zzyzx posted:

I still think it's a decent vote, as day one votes go.

So basically you are indifferent to whether it's a joke or not?

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Voodoofly posted:

I'm actually up in San Francisco now, and was in the process of immigrating to Vancouver until the border was shut down.

##vote The Ninth Layer

I already asked if this was a joke or not, but I don't really think I care anymore. If it was serious its just a horrible accusation to throw out and see if it gains traction. I'm assuming its a joke, though, which means its the closest thing you have to a serious post this game and you are too skilled of a player to be allowed to slide on Day 1.

You can also consider this a vote for anyone else who hasn't contributed yet (50, Andy, CCK, Jammy, probably other people).

You need to bold your votes for them to count, I'm pretty sure.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm going to go ahead and explain my gut vote on LordNad. Tom Tucker already covered a lot of this.

LordNad posted:

OFFICER LIGER posted:

You're deliberately missing the point. Grow up.
You deliberately dropped the 3rd vote for someone you thought was town as a joke. Get lynched

Way too certain of an alignment call for what is actually at stake. In my experience scum are far more likely to double down on their weak early votes when they get called out and tend to spin up their reasons into something dire rather than keeping things in perspective. They end up overthinking and overexplaining minor plays to make them sinister and intentional.

LordNad posted:

4 posts later, 12 minutes after Varinn drops the 2nd serious vote on Amni, he comes in with his joke vote. The timing is very suspicious to me, and it is a vote of opportunity disguised as a joke. I don't know Liger but I sure as hell am not getting a townie vibe from him.

This is LordNad looking for a reason to keep calling Liger scummy. Now it's not that Liger voted for someone he had a town read on that he finds scummy, but the fact he did it twelve minutes after Varinn's vote. I don't feel this kind of suspicion merits LordNad's earlier "get lynched" comment.

Sandwolf posted:

LordNad, who pinged my gut earlier, just gave a very long post overexplaining an early D1 vote. I think it may just be a generational thing though, as many of you older players seem more willing to give very thoughtful responses even when one may not be necessary. TT thought it was good, I thought it felt a little bit too..thorough, for what it was.

Not gonna vote there yet but that’s where I’d like to

I also entirely agree with this post and like Sandwolf I wasn't particularly impressed with LordNad's response to Tom Tucker.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

##vote The Ninth Layer

It was a blatant joke, I didn't feel it was necessary for me to spell that out.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

So basically you are indifferent to whether it's a joke or not?

That's certainly the narrative now that he's been called on it, but I don't think it's obvious that it was at the time. Regardless, the sequence of it sounds off in my head.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

LordNad posted:

Liger could have joke voted earlier than Varinn and it wouldn't have registered as scummy to me.
. . .

Reading over you and Tom's back and forth, this is the one I don't get? The two posts were within 40 minutes of each other with back and forth between him and Amni. Early on day 1. With like four total posts in between them. When I voted I completely missed that he was joking in the first vote, and found the serious then a delayed joke vote scummy.

But you are saying that if he votes 4 posts earlier in the thread its a joke, but four posts and forty minutes later where the only real change was one post by Varin makes it a scum move?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

LordNad posted:

It is an admission. He clearly states he thinks Amni is town [i]and yet he still voted for him[/]. The conclusion is not hard to draw. He could have joke voted Amni earlier than he did in the post where he literally said he wanted to vote him for his avatar. He waited until after Amni got a second serious vote. Why? To keep building momentum imo.

OK Sandwolf and TNL looking back at LordNad's response again this one still doesn't feel right, the "admission" piece. Using that word feels so strong for what is essentially facts. He's "admitting" he joke voted after first joking about it? That's not at question, so framing it as an "admission" is strange. Almost like cross-examining a witness and going "so you ADMIT you were at the bank the day it was robbed?" "...yes I am the bank manager who was shot." This isn't good context for that kind of word. LordNad's reasoning for it here does still feel empty - Liger states he thinks Amni is town and then placed a joke vote on him. There's no "admission" here, there's no "ah ha! You admit it!" it's just the facts.

Also this "he could have joke voted him in the first post" as if there's a right and wrong way to joke vote.

The "admission" double down is really not sitting with me right on the re-read, even if I can see his argument on the other points. I will ##vote LordNad I'm glad you both prompted a second look.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

The Ninth Layer posted:

It was a blatant joke, I didn't feel it was necessary for me to spell that out.

I think we have made it clear I have lost all ability to discern jokes over the years (I thought your gut vote on LordNad was a joke).

zzyzx posted:

That's certainly the narrative now that he's been called on it, but I don't think it's obvious that it was at the time. Regardless, the sequence of it sounds off in my head.

I'm going to just admit I'm probably going to ignore the Liger stuff right now. I completely misread it over the weekend, because looking back now (even after reading your's and Nad's cases) I'm come to the the entire opposite position - to me Liger was loving around with Amni in a series of day 1 joking posts, nothing more nothing less. I don't agree with either of your interpretations, but whatever I'll come back and look at it fresh at some other point because I obviously agree that there is a way to interpret those posts as scummy.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Token Female posted:

You need to bold your votes for them to count, I'm pretty sure.

I'm pretty sure I will forget that many times over.

also ##unvote

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Voodoofly posted:

I'm going to just admit I'm probably going to ignore the Liger stuff right now. I completely misread it over the weekend, because looking back now (even after reading your's and Nad's cases) I'm come to the the entire opposite position - to me Liger was loving around with Amni in a series of day 1 joking posts, nothing more nothing less. I don't agree with either of your interpretations, but whatever I'll come back and look at it fresh at some other point because I obviously agree that there is a way to interpret those posts as scummy.

I have a similar read on the situation. I think LIGER is just having fun. I don't think he's helping to find any scum really, so that's something. But I don't really buy the case against him as it is.

I would vote for Lord nad. I don't care for how "righteous" his vote for LIGER felt.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I am sticking with hambeet on thinking this is a good catch.

Just because it was originally directed at me is irrelevant (though ofc makes me more likely to notice!)

I think the phrasing without a vote is odd. If beet thinks it's scummy where is the vote?

**May 2nd
"Amni votes are bad, Varinn is going after lowest hanging fruit"

**1 day later
"Android app is better."

**2 days later

hambeet posted:

We have lots of good D1 content *is not voting*

I see a scum perspective here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay, let's talk about Office Liger, which I'm aware is a typo, but I like it and I'm not fixing it.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

It's almost reason enough for me to want to vote Amni. But I want more before I vote.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

I'm voting you because you didnt include a cool send off line when shooting him, you should have been all "It looks like this Steak just got sent back to the kitchen" ##vote Amnistar
Okay, so that's pretty obviously a joke vote. But man, what a jarring tonal shift there! He says he's almost got enough to vote amni but wants a bit more, then when he votes amni he conceals it as a joke vote and... oh. Oh wait, what's that on the horizon.

oh no it is the dreaded Context, slayer of bad cases! why have you come for me Context!!!!

here's the post immediately before Liger's first post, the one he's referring to when he says "it's almost reason enough" to vote amni.

Sandwolf posted:

yeah also Amni that new avatar is awful and I hate it
Yeah so, in that light, it's pretty god darn obvious that Liger was joking around with his "suspicions" of amni, and pulling his vote when it looked like amni was generating actual momentum is an entirely rational thing to do.

So yeah, LordNad is wrong about everything, but since I don't want to quote a bajillion posts of his just to re-refute them, I'll only say that his single-minded lock-on of Liger and tripling down and making a big production of himself when challenged makes me read him as townie who's locked on with a bad case.

Next time, because I'm breaking this up to two posts for ease of readability and quoting: a new suspect!