Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like the idea of renting items just for something different, but the absolute freedom meant there wasn't much of a difficulty curve and every dungeon expected you to have the bare minimum of items so the puzzles were pretty restricted. On the other hand, 'turning into a painting' is great, Ravio is cool, the Lorule Castle theme slaps, and the fire rod has the greatest weapon upgrade I've ever seen. Like, ooh your sword hurts more! You shoot three arrows now! Your hookshot is faster! gently caress you I have a SEARING PILLAR OF TWISTING FIRE! In conclusion: LBW has like weird structural problems but I'm having too much of a good time to care.

(But also gently caress the Lost Woods ghost puzzle thing. Those are always the worst, who enjoys those, I can't track multiple ghosts at once)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been toying around with Arkham Knight again, and remembering that yes, having a quickfire grappling hook to shoot at people/grab stuff during fights is a good mechanic. So add that back in please.

God that poo poo was so fun, going into Hookshot > Glider would own so hard.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

YggiDee posted:

I like the idea of renting items just for something different, but the absolute freedom meant there wasn't much of a difficulty curve and every dungeon expected you to have the bare minimum of items so the puzzles were pretty restricted.

Yeah, this was one of the fundamental issues I noticed when I finally replayed it a few months back. I appreciated the push they made in trying to move towards a more open design (especially for a handheld entry), but it just didn't work well in practice. I kept hitting moments where I'd think oh, this is where the game ramps it up, but it mostly turned out that I'd just missed an obvious switch or something, rather than some major puzzle involving a cool new use of my tools. I forget the order I went through the dungeons but it was disappointing because the last few just felt like simple early dungeons in the other games.

e:

sigher posted:

God that poo poo was so fun, going into Hookshot > Glider would own so hard.

Oh yeah, also starting with the motorcycle and being able to launch from that would be pretty :krad:

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah item rental is not unwelcome just as as change in the formula, but overall the sense of progression and discovery is better the traditional way. Wall merging is ace, though, and generally the game just looks and feels great. gently caress Cucco Dash though. Cost me nearly a grand getting the piece of heart this time round.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I still want to play a Ravio Shopkeeper sim where you sneak into temples, steal their ancient treasure, and rent them out at absurdly inflated prices to wanna-be heroes. You have to advertise to a very specific kind of hero, though. You want someone skilled enough to afford your wares, but still... hapless enough to die repeatedly and tune a profit. Some kind of minigame where you give Sheero the right treats and he'll retrieve your items faster.

Naturally you're doing it all with the help of the Magic Cape, one of the LttP items that didn't make the cut to ALBW.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 2, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I still want to play a Ravio Shopkeeper sim where you sneak into temples, steal their ancient treasure, and rent them out at absurdly inflated prices to wanna-be heroes. You have to advertise to a very specific kind of hero, though. You want someone skilled enough to afford your wares, but still... hapless enough to die repeatedly and tune a profit. Some kind of minigame where you give Sheero the right treats and he'll retrieve your items faster.

Naturally you're doing it all with the help of the Magic Cape, one of the LttP items that didn't make the cut to ALBW.

I'm sad Nintendo retired their "different genre focused on weird-rear end side character" concept one game in :(

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Uh, which game

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Probably the Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland game or whatever the heck that was.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*shudders*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Bloop posted:

*shudders*

*at how weirdly neat it was but how Nintendo never went down the path to follow it up*

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

But they did. This game literally has a sequel.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Ripened_Tingle%27s_Balloon_Trip_of_Love

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I somehow did not know that, but stand by the intent of my original complaint :colbert:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I agree, Zelda has a criminally low amount of spinoffs. Even metroid got a pinball game out of nowhere, why are they so reluctant to ship the zelda ip around? We may never know.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Amppelix posted:

I agree, Zelda has a criminally low amount of spinoffs. Even metroid got a pinball game out of nowhere, why are they so reluctant to ship the zelda ip around? We may never know.

isn't some dead nintendo dude embodied in that deer god critter in breath of the wild?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Marzzle posted:

isn't some dead nintendo dude embodied in that deer god critter in breath of the wild?

It’s a memorial for Satoru Iwata

quote:

Before he passed away, Iwata was involved in overseeing the development of Breath of the Wild as he had in the past with The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and A Link Between Worlds.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The game icon is lol:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

*at how weirdly neat it was but how Nintendo never went down the path to follow it up*

The problem with it - well, in the gameplay sense - is that its main gimmick is the blind pricing of pretty much everything, and since you need rupees to progress and survive that makes it really unpleasant to play.

If you hit up an online pricelist it's a really great game, silly, funny and inventive, with a lot of callbacks and jokes about the standard Zelda setup and some really clever usage of the idea that all you are is a fat money-hungry loser in green tights who likes balloons, bombs and fairies. But you have to bypass the ENTIRE CENTRAL MECHANIC to get that. It's really bizarre.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Amppelix posted:

At least we got Hyrule Warriors, the best spinoff, and you can even play as Ravio in it!

Absolutely criminal that Groose isn't playable though. Unforgivable.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The tingle games have some amazing sprite work.
I can't remember what, but the second one had something that really wouldn't fly in the west. The first even got away with having a Hard Gay cameo.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

If you all hadn't said otherwise, I would absolutely have assumed that to be something made up that Troy and Abed became obsessed with during a later season of Community.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Heran Bago posted:

The tingle games have some amazing sprite work.
I can't remember what, but the second one had something that really wouldn't fly in the west. The first even got away with having a Hard Gay cameo.

The second game deals with a lot of relationships between men and women in a way that is super reductive on occasion. The main mechanic is called Love Push which I'm sure works great as english words in a Japanese game but reads very strange to us. It's quite a long adventure so remembering every detail is tough, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

YggiDee posted:

Uhhh

https://youtu.be/Hp7tNAH9Ox0

nrook posted:

I get where they were coming from: the designers clearly wanted you to be able to go everywhere, but didn't want to introduce a dozen dungeon items at the beginning of the game. But I think the rental mechanic was a bit half-baked. Dying and returning to the beginning of a dungeon is already punishment enough in Zelda; adding additional penalties just makes life harder for players who are already in trouble.

I think something like "you can have x items at once, where x increases as you find certain valuable items in the overworld; if you need new items you have to return some of the ones you're using already" would have worked out better.

Similarly in BotW the game's biggest strength is simultaneously its biggest flaw. They give you all the tools you need right up front and then unleash you on the rest of the world, the problem is that because you have all the things you need and can cook to fill your stamina/hearts, actually going and playing the game is rewarding only in that you get to experience it, the actual traditional gameplay reward is basically a mild wet fart that ultimately won't feel like much of an accomplishment to a percentage of the population.

You have all the liberty you need to do whatever, but simultaneously can fall into the "I've seen everything there is on offer" trap, and you wouldn't necessarily be wrong depending on how much you're able to enjoy (or not, rather) emergent gameplay and pure exploration.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 2, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You realize that post was talking about link between worlds, though

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

what would have been cool imo is if they had hidden the items in the overworld in places that you would naturally discover by exploring, like in clearly marked mini dungeons or something. that way you still get the satisfaction of discovering new items while also keeping the non-linearity intact. you'd probably still have to keep the main dungeon puzzles limited to one or two items though

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Amppelix posted:

You realize that post was talking about link between worlds, though

I STAND BY MY COMMENTS, THEY STILL APPLY.

But yeah, was thinking about the flaws of BotW, mainly, which their post reminded me of.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Woah Ganon in a linked Oracle game isn't loving around.

E: two goddamn hours to beat those final bosses. Jeez. I really hate the attack where he reverses your controls.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 2, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fuzz posted:

I STAND BY MY COMMENTS, THEY STILL APPLY.

But yeah, was thinking about the flaws of BotW, mainly, which their post reminded me of.

You gotta work for those triple bows, and put in effort to get that sweet motorcycle.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tingle's rosy rupeeland was directed by Taro Kudo, who founded Vanpool after Love-de-Lic split. love-de-lic is probably most famous now for Moon ("the game that inspired undertale") which just came out on switch, and which kudo and also yoshiro kimura (chulip, little king's story, studio onion games) designed/wrote. kudo also directed color splash and wrote color splash/origami king. so if any of that sounds good to you you'll probably like tingle's rosy rupeeland

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

does the eldin leviathan skull have a shrine next to it? the other two skulls do

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

cuntman.net posted:

does the eldin leviathan skull have a shrine next to it? the other two skulls do

Nope. It's a little annoying because I like hunting the Lynels to the west of it after a blood moon and there's not a very quick way to get to them.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
So they have announced a 35th anniversary, 3d Mario collection that has galaxy but not galaxy 2...
I think this will at least mean a 3d Zelda collection release for next year's 35th anniversary. Yay.

And maaaayybe for Metroid.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

So they have announced a 35th anniversary, 3d Mario collection that has galaxy but not galaxy 2...
I think this will at least mean a 3d Zelda collection release for next year's 35th anniversary. Yay.

And maaaayybe for Metroid.

Edit: stupid app

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 3, 2020

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I've never played OOT or MM so that would be awesome for me to finally go back and play those. I didn't pick up a Zelda game until Wind Waker came out and have played all the console games since so I've been wanting to play those two for years but just haven't made it happen.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Final Blog Entry posted:

I've never played OOT or MM so that would be awesome for me to finally go back and play those. I didn't pick up a Zelda game until Wind Waker came out and have played all the console games since so I've been wanting to play those two for years but just haven't made it happen.

:stare:

I forget that some people are uncultured swine.

But seriously, yeah a slightly polished re-release of the two is called for, though I have no idea if you will like them that much after experiencing all that came afterwards.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The dream remake I want most is Majora's Mask in the Wind Waker HD style. It's still my favorite for sure, but even the 3DS remake has its share of clunkiness because it's still an N64 game at heart.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So Mario got the 35th anniversary announcement if you haven’t been paying attention this morning.

https://youtu.be/s_UcjEq2Dgk

There’s really no reason not to believe Zelda won’t get the same treatment.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the zelda collection will be Ocarina of Time, Spirit Tracks and Ocarina of Time Master Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Vikar Jerome posted:

the zelda collection will be Ocarina of Time, Spirit Tracks and Ocarina of Time Master Quest.

4 swords, tingles games and links crossbow training