Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Owlbear Camus posted:

A comedy of errors where Barclay is tipped off by an upperclassman that he might get thrown a surprise exam Kobayashi Maru and if something super intense and scary happens, just assume it's a simulation. A bunch of actual crises occur on campus, and he greets and conquers each one with the decisive poise and assuredness of a holodeck power fantasy.

:(

this makes me want to go down to engineering and be like you can do it man, it is within u, you must just grasp it and go

e: then i would call him broccoli an shove him in a conduit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Owlbear Camus posted:

A comedy of errors where Barclay is tipped off by an upperclassman that he might get thrown a surprise exam Kobayashi Maru and if something super intense and scary happens, just assume it's a simulation. A bunch of actual crises occur on campus, and he greets and conquers each one with the decisive poise and assuredness of a holodeck power fantasy.

It can only be this.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Angry Salami posted:

I really want to see the Bynars show up again someday. They look cool, they're a neat concept, and it'd be nice to contrast the Borg with a friendly cybernetic hive society.

I believe they literally don't get mentioned again in a Trek series until Enterprise, and even then only in a throwaway statement from Phlox in that one Borg episode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/gamespite/status/1300952034854817792?s=19

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Binary Badger posted:

I believe they literally don't get mentioned again in a Trek series until Enterprise, and even then only in a throwaway statement from Phlox in that one Borg episode.

In their episode they only plan for Riker to be there to reboot their planet...Picard was just there because he tried to hone in on Riker's holo-date.

But then when they get there to be rebooted...it requires 2 people to do it.

Maybe the Bynars are not that smart and all died off after the Enterprise went back to starbase whatever after the reboot.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

V-Men posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how Barclay passed the Starfleet Academy entrance exam psych eval. The Academy proctors made Wesley think he left someone to die, just for chance to enter Starfleet Academy.

I imagine Barclay's test was basically this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oNJiFYEm7M

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Athanatos posted:

In their episode they only plan for Riker to be there to reboot their planet...Picard was just there because he tried to hone in on Riker's holo-date.

But then when they get there to be rebooted...it requires 2 people to do it.

Maybe the Bynars are not that smart and all died off after the Enterprise went back to starbase whatever after the reboot.

When Bynaus was taken over by a botnet, the rest of the Federation just added them to their spam filter and moved on.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Psh, Barclay always handles the things that really matter. It's the little things, when he's given time to think and self-doubt that he falls apart.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Owlbear Camus posted:

This is great. Cap it off with him thinking he's done with the test only for someone to come in and ask him if he's ready to begin the test and he realizes everything else has been real.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I get that they're trying to make it so that Starfleet officers are the cream of the cream of the crop, but that whole "psych eval" thing is just preposterous and insane.

Also think the same thing as Troi having to order holo-Geordi to his "death" in a simulation. You KNOW it is a simulation, so where's the stress and strain? It is basically a game at that point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

V-Men posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how Barclay passed the Starfleet Academy entrance exam psych eval. The Academy proctors made Wesley think he left someone to die, just for chance to enter Starfleet Academy.

Does everybody have to go through the gaslighting gauntlet to get into Starfleet? With only one new recruit every testing session?

Like I guess it's a lot more interesting and whimsical than SATs, but it just seems improbable.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Does everybody have to go through the gaslighting gauntlet to get into Starfleet? With only one new recruit every testing session?

Like I guess it's a lot more interesting and whimsical than SATs, but it just seems improbable.

During peacetime, out on the edge of federation space, I'd buy that they were only allotted a small number of applicants per area to meet staffing requirements.

By the end of the Dominion war when they had a bunch of Akira's covered in still-wet paint and a bunch of Miranda crews to replace, they probably took anyone that could tie their own shoes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So, I've been re-watching Voyager and I finally reached threshold, and I kind of get the feeling that someone watched David Cronenberg's The Fly, and tried to write it as a Star Trek episode.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

By the end of the Dominion war when they had a bunch of Akira's covered in still-wet paint and a bunch of Miranda crews to replace, they probably took anyone that could tie their own shoes.

That's basically the early plot of STO: Starfleet is pumping out so many ships for the Klingon war that somebody whose command experience is 'didn't get people killed' gets an 80-year old Miranda and told 'do these baby missions so the real captains can be on the frontlines.'

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wonder if the writer intended them to look like giant salamanders or if the production team just made a Really Big Choice. I could see the writer having been vague enough in what the evolution looked like that it gave the effects team enough rope to hang themselves with.

8one6
May 20, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I wonder if the writer intended them to look like giant salamanders or if the production team just made a Really Big Choice. I could see the writer having been vague enough in what the evolution looked like that it gave the effects team enough rope to hang themselves with.

The writer was Brannon Braga, one of the two show runners. While I wouldn't put it past Berman to pull a major dick move on Braga I'm pretty sure Braga is on record with the Salamander thing being 100% his own idea.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know Threshold did win some makeup awards

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Threshold's "story by" is the current chairman of MGM, and was the president of New Line Cinema during the time.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I think the idea with the salamanders was that in the future there could be evolutionary pressures that would push humans to develop into new species that would readopt more primitive traits in order to survive. Stephen Baxter actually took this idea out for a spin in his novel Evolution. A bunch of future humans manage to ride out the extinction of the species in cryosleep, only to be reawakened millennia later when nature has reclaimed the planet. While there are enough people to keep a breeding population going, the planet has changed so much that civilization isn't able to really gain another foothold, and over a few million years the descendants of the decanted humans become just another species of primate. Of course, Baxter knows a thing or two about science, so he was able to set up a situation where the reader could see how environmental pressures could make humans into animals again. Braga, meanwhile, didn't do the spadework, and as a result we got someone's creepy transformation fic made into an actual episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sash! posted:

Also think the same thing as Troi having to order holo-Geordi to his "death" in a simulation. You KNOW it is a simulation, so where's the stress and strain? It is basically a game at that point.

The stress from that isn't from the act itself. It's not like Troi spent the episode agonising over whether or not she could order holo-Geordi to do that, it's that the idea literally didn't occur to her.

The impact comes from having a superior officer confirm to you that sometimes you may have to make a supremely lovely decision as well as the fact that at sometime that might be you being given the order for the good of others.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Senor Tron posted:

The stress from that isn't from the act itself. It's not like Troi spent the episode agonising over whether or not she could order holo-Geordi to do that, it's that the idea literally didn't occur to her.

The impact comes from having a superior officer confirm to you that sometimes you may have to make a supremely lovely decision as well as the fact that at sometime that might be you being given the order for the good of others.

Plus, this was after Disaster where Troi demonstrated that she might not be willing to make that call.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Benzite dude went through it and came out of it shaking like he was told he murdered his entire family while blackout drunk. It does seem like an intensely unethical thing to do to young adults who are taking an entrance exam, but that's utopia for you? I wonder if you have to take it again if you reapply to Starfleet Academy later.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And it sounds like each one is tailored to the individual like a Good Place Bad Place test. A lot of work goes into these, so I assume there’s a whole dept in Starfleet Academy dedicated to psychological torture?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Having a whole dept dedicated to psychological torture may seem odd at first, but considering the eldritch horrors that starships encounter on a regular basis, it's actually a prudent method to weed out unfit people before they'd end up in that situation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Based on what we've seen you could probably just 'computer, create the perfect scenario to torture wesley' and it'll just pop one right out of the holodeck.

8one6
May 20, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Based on what we've seen you could probably just 'computer, create the perfect scenario to torture wesley' and it'll just pop one right out of the holodeck.

It just creates a replica of Picard and Dr. Crusher looking at Wesley's holodeck browser history and shaking their heads.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

8one6 posted:

It just creates a replica of Picard and Dr. Crusher looking at Wesley's holodeck browser history and shaking their heads.

Occasionally calling out specific examples and asking him to explain.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Having a whole dept dedicated to psychological torture may seem odd at first, but considering the eldritch horrors that starships encounter on a regular basis, it's actually a prudent method to weed out unfit people before they'd end up in that situation.

They never trained that child for the pain of losing a teddy bear in a ship wreck

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Sash! posted:

Further to what people have said, it's not the stress of having to order holo-Geordi to his death, it's that she has to acknowledge that she needs to be able to order real Geordi to the same fate if necessary.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The_Doctor posted:

And it sounds like each one is tailored to the individual like a Good Place Bad Place test. A lot of work goes into these, so I assume there’s a whole dept in Starfleet Academy dedicated to psychological torture?

And while 24th-century psychology as depicted in the show looks to be much more of an actual science than it is here in real life, it's still far from exact and so they must screw this up sometimes.

"Sir, Cadet Koznowski has begun her psych test. We, uh... might have misdiagnosed that fear of dogs we decided she has. The holographic ultrapuppies thundered into the room on schedule, but she immediately made friends with them and has been happily throwing the giant tennis ball to them for the last half-hour."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

These slash fics are just getting lazier and lazier

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gully Foyle posted:

Further to what people have said, it's not the stress of having to order holo-Geordi to his death, it's that she has to acknowledge that she needs to be able to order real Geordi to the same fate if necessary.

That's deep into "no poo poo" territory. It's such a non-test that it baffles me that they think it tests anything.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sash! posted:

That's deep into "no poo poo" territory. It's such a non-test that it baffles me that they think it tests anything.

I've always found the Kobayashi Maru weird for that reason. If the purpose is to experience fear, uh, knock them out and let them wake up in the chair thinking it's real or something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Statutory Ape posted:

They never trained that child for the pain of losing a teddy bear in a ship wreck

poo poo now I wanna see a Star Trek series start with that kid walking out of the holodeck, an adult, shaking his head to clear his haunted visions. "Worse every time," he says, voice tremolo, "and I still can't save him."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gully Foyle posted:

To say nothing of having to work with the guy after ordering a holo of him to its death. That'd be at least briefly awkward. "So, Counselor I hear you passed your command exam. How'd it go ?"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, the holodeck must suck for a Betazoid. Having that extra sense without any input has to take something the way of simulating things.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

poo poo now I wanna see a Star Trek series start with that kid walking out of the holodeck, an adult, shaking his head to clear his haunted visions. "Worse every time," he says, voice tremolo, "and I still can't save him."

Lol I saw that movie when I was 7 and between that and the ship blowing up it was very stressful for me

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bull3964 posted:

You know, the holodeck must suck for a Betazoid. Having that extra sense without any input has to take something the way of simulating things.

It should be relaxing since it's never useful anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheScott2K posted:

I've always found the Kobayashi Maru weird for that reason. If the purpose is to experience fear, uh, knock them out and let them wake up in the chair thinking it's real or something.
I think the broad idea is to inject a dose of realism into what is probably otherwise a very idealistic and almost magical situation, given the immense powers Starfleet has: your issue will more likely be that you can only do so much sorcerous technobabble with your crew and ship, rather than that you cannot solve any individual problem. But sometimes you are not going to be able to solve the problem and they would probably like to know in advance if you're going to crack and start killing half the ship to feed the other half or whatever. so they can get you on the port admiral track

I think really the KM has two issues. One is that it was meant to emphasize this sober mortality note in the specific contest of Star Trek 2, where they were gonna be killing off :spock: - and we have, over the last 30-40 years, gotten constant torrents of reminders of mortality and the limits of ambition and so forth and so on, so it's like watching Casablanca or reading Watchmen and not getting the effect so much as, "Oh, so that's what they were referencing."

The other was the fandom making it some kind of graduation exam for everyone from Starfleet where it was probably just a capstone exercise for command track personnel. But no, everybody's got their Kobayashi Maru story, and it's always some innovative way to gently caress with the system.