Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

the verge posted:

If I have one complaint about the specs it’s that the Duo only has 6GB of RAM That’s plenty for your average Android phone, but it’s not enough to keep apps from closing sooner than I’d like in the background. It’s also not quite enough to reliably run two apps at once without one of them getting a hiccup — and the whole point of the Surface Duo is to run two apps at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hmblo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol

the tesla of mobile devices

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

how do you pull off not running 2 apps on 6 GB of memory.
5 gb of ad trackers running in the background?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ms cares so little about it, they're giving them away

Edward IV posted:

I know it's called a Surface Duo but this is a little ridiculous.

And yes, I really did only order one unit and was only charged as such.

No invoice was included with the package. However based on the weight printed on the shipping label, I was supposed to get a single unit but the label was placed on a box with two units. (The label says 1.8 lbs, the whole package weighs about 3.6 lbs.)

Now, should I be honest and return the second unit or flip it for a decent bit of cash?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

lmao @ ever being honest

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

corp error in your favor! gain $50

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I cancelled google fi and got a bill for $0 lol.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Celexi posted:

I cancelled google fi and got a bill for $0 lol.
send in a check for $0.00

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

my favorite was getting a bill for 0 and then 30 days later getting an overdue notice for a balance of 0. a phone call cleared it up but i really should have saved that one.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

power botton posted:

Is this 2 screens thing purely due to some supply chain thing where 2x 5.5 screens + cheap hinges + 6 months dev work is like 1/3 the cost of a single 11 screen

seems dumb to do the work on 2-screen android when that is supposed to be the central gimmick for windows x or whatever they’re going to call their next failed sku

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my phone tells me that there is a new anderoid version available

looking forward to what I assume will be a large number of ui changes that gently caress everything up for no reason

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

my phone tells me that there is a new anderoid version available

looking forward to what I assume will be a large number of ui changes that gently caress everything up for no reason

you're thinking of ios

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

seems dumb to do the work on 2-screen android when that is supposed to be the central gimmick for windows x or whatever they’re going to call their next failed sku

also Kyocera did the exact same thing ten years ago

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
important update - they changed the all rhe cat emoji. the one I used to use when talking to the ladies is a clear downgrade. scroogled again

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

oh wow they actually listened to all common sense and decency and brought back the good turtle emoji

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
oh poo poo nevermind :five: 🐢🐢🐢

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
til: stadia still exists somehow, and also amazon now has a stadia

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/25/pixel-2-camera-curse-continues-and-its-spreading-to-newer-pixels/

Meanwhile, the grey forums just can't get enough of recommending these.

---
Sent from My Verizon Samsung Galaxy S20+ SM-G986U running Android 10 Team AOSP nightly 2020 pure Google debloat zip aligned ROM

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

for all that i'm sure amazon's latest foray into gaming is going to go the way all their other attempts have gone, I'm amused that not even Amazon was stupid enough to go with google's strategy of making a special os that would require game devs to put in extra work for their service.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
my 3a got the anroid 11 update and lol, who let this poo poo out the door. there's barely any poo poo people care about in it, you could have delayed it google. this poo poo is the worst:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/17/android-11s-new-media-controls-remain-buggy-in-public-release/

the new ui for audio apps in the background was supposed to improve on some long-standing issues their persistent notifications have, i think. it may well have improved something, but it also has developed two cool new "features" for some reason:

- notifications used to all show up together. audio apps now get a special section, but for some reason you have to swipe down twice to see it, while the pointless "hey google play downloaded an update" crap is still front and center on first swipe
- paused audio notifications remain in the special box, apparently forever. you can have multiple of them for a single app. my podcast app currently has two notifications for podcasts i paused as they were playing the outro music. you seemingly can't dismiss them.
- the podcast app i use allows you to configure which settings show up on its notifications. these settings are apparently now just ignored, and the notification will just show whatever.

good os

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

the new media notification is broken af

its a bad idea to begin with but the execution is bungled in so many ways that its hard to imagine how it got out the door. the podcast thing is handled differently by different apps but afaict every one is broken in a different way either in the way yours is where it treats every episode as its own audio source so you can have nothing but listened-to podcasts in your media selector or if it doesnt it just shows a link to the last played ep which is deleted that when tapped does nothing

its supposed to be swipeable between all your media apps but the most popular one spotify doesnt stay in the list at all. also its not swipeable all the time just when its in the notification list but not when youre in the quick settings panel. oh yeah and you cant expand the notification anymore without going to the quick settings panel so no more liking songs from the lockscreen. you can set it to make it go away when you arent playing media which solves some problems but it sometimes goes away when playing media too which requires you to enter the app and pause and restart the media for it to return

as it stands right now its difficult to tease out what behavior is intentional but stupid from what is unintentionally broken which is also distinct from changes made without giving third parties any warning on how to prepare for the changes. i cant imagine anyone working on it not being aware that its completely broken in its current state but at the same time there were like six beta versions so maybe this is the plan?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Andoird: its a bad idea to begin with but the execution is bungled in so many ways that its hard to imagine how it got out the door

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Andoird: its a bad idea to begin with but the execution is bungled in so many ways that its hard to imagine how it got out the door

ill be honest i threw in a different line for that exact purpose:

Andoird: its difficult to tease out what behavior is intentional but stupid from what is unintentionally broken

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

why don't you guys just buy an iphone se at this point?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

SO DEMANDING posted:

it’s called freedom

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

i was close when i got my pixel 4xl though id have gotten an iphone with faceid

i dont have any moral objections to apple but i use (and like) a lot of google poo poo and between sunk cost and mostly continued satisfaction with android i stick with it. after a decade of using macs and trying to help my parents with their ipads i know apples not immune to bad ui and poo poo not making a lot of sense either

i know having a lot of google hardware is dicey at best but given my recent sour experience with my 2017 mbp im not exactly dying to give more money to apple either

i guess id really miss android auto which is far superior to carplay and id miss messages for web

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

This notification poo poo doesn't even work right in youtube, good job google

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

why does media have a notification? notifications are for things that should be acted upon, now things that are constants

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I use anroid because having my balls crushed by google 24/7 is my kink

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I use anroid because having my balls crushed by google 24/7 is my kink

CBTDroid

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Endless Mike posted:

why does media have a notification? notifications are for things that should be acted upon, now things that are constants

app developers can't be trusted to run code in the background without spying on you, and/or killing your device's battery doing inane poo poo that you don't want or need. so they're not allowed to run code in the background.

if you want to run code in the background, for example, to play music, you need a notification that essentially just exists to tell the user hey, this is what's running.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

why would media controls be a setting? its an ephemeral state to be managed while running

if media controls belong in the quick setting panel then ongoing phone calls also should be there

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
hahaha so like there's a setting that's supposed to make the ended/paused slightly before the end podcasts not get stuck there

it sorta works

now, when the media drawer is "open", these notifications do not appear

HOWEVER, there's an old episode that's still stuck in some weird way, but now its notification ONLY appears during the slide animation. once you fully slide open the second drawer, it disappears

it also still thinks it's playing on my disconnected bluetooth headphones

how do you gently caress up this bad

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Anroid.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I installed 11 and can't work out how to take screenshots anymore.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

I installed 11 and can't work out how to take screenshots anymore.

power + vol down the same thing its been since android 1

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

oh yeah you can also screen cap from the app switcher too now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
looking forward to the pixel 5, which by all accounts, should have been the phone I waited for (fingerprint reader)