Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Phigs posted:

The problem is when the AI is set up essentially as a stand-in for a human. You generally have to make the computer asymmetrical for it to provide a challenge to a player, but if it's a stand-in for a human then players will resent it being asymmetrical. So you need to set up the game in such a way that it's clear the computer and player were never meant to be playing the same exact game. Like how in say Starcraft campaign you didn't just get put into a multiplayer map with a computer opponent who had the same start.

Yeah, the best “against AI” games are the ones where the AI is shows as something omnipotent and all knowing, playing by its own rules. When you then eventually bash its head in it’s that much more satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

no one ever talks about civ3 but thats the first one i played so i kind of like it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

noita is very good

it looks interesting, i used to be addicted to those weird web based falling sand games

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
having a blast w/ hades. Just made it to p2 Hades on my 16th run but i used my cheat death on a god trial like 10 minutes in because i am loving stupid

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Earwicker posted:

it looks interesting, i used to be addicted to those weird web based falling sand games

Get ready for disappointment if you are expecting much out of the physics/material simulation part of the game. It's 99% hoping you got a gun good enough to headshot enemies before they can snipe you with 100% accuracy across an unlimited distance.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've gotten hades p2 below 10% 4 times with different weapons :argh:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Spear is definitely my favorite weapon rn but weirdly that run I was playing melee instead of special build. I even took a chaos for extra materials that almost killed me. and it ended up being my first run to both beat theseus and get to hades :downs:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

actually yeah alpha centauri was dope

imaging sitting down to make a game like civilization but instead of rounding up human history making futuristic versions of technology and culture

loving insane

man what a game

Kinda felt like edge lord stuff though.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is single player and a lot of the Youtubers slow down the game during play to create these videos, but here is something for your VR helmet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HrYKGzqzd8

I haven't played a lot of Mordhau yet but aside from Chivalry's gameplay problems it's had a (mostly unsatisfying) lightsaber mod with servers for years.

What I want is to have a starwars game where I can chop through robots like in the Episode 1/2, just chop anywhere like MGSR with cool glowing metal and robots falling apart. (MGSR sort of like this but I want starwars).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The best Civ game is a combination of the Baba Yetu theme, the Sean Bean narration and the FMV advisors from Civ 2

The real win condition for Civ is when you get pig iron.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

barkbell posted:

i love to play a game where i start by clicking next turn 15 times in a row while i wait for my first worker to finish because the entire production economy is hosed due to some jackass wanting 1upt

Civ6 never hooked me at all but playing civ5 makes me wish for the civ 6 trader/worker/road mechanics

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Chomp8645 posted:

Developers who are good and not clowns tailor their features to what the AI can handle in any strategy game where multiplayer isn't the main focus. The Total War team figured out a while ago some things during siege battles like "the AI is very dumb about approaching a city from multiple sides, but can handle approaching it from one side well enough" and "if the AI must get individual pieces of siege equipment in the right places to not to be 100% stuck outside, they will frequently become 100% stuck outside".

So after years of frankly embarrassing siege battles, they said "you know what, siege battles are going to take place on just one facing of a city, and infantry can pull ladders out of their asses if they have no other siege equipment to use". The result is that in exchange for the slight silliness of pocket ladders, the AI is immeasurably better at siege assault, and the whole experience is vastly improved. Every single person who complained about these changes is a complete loving moron.

everything here is 100% true but Medieval 2 is still my favorite

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Shibawanko posted:

no one ever talks about civ3 but thats the first one i played so i kind of like it

i bought civ 3 from a lovely budget cdrom release at target or something and every city was named firaxis

i came to find out that the the release i bought was missing some data file that named all the cities and stuff, i asked on a civ message board for a copy of the file or at least a sample of what's in it so i knew the format and could roll my own and i got banned for "encouraging piracy", on that day i learned how abjectly loving stupid most strategy game fanatics are, and it was like a decade before i bought another firaxis game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
civ 3 had some really cool ideas but the way it simulated corruption sucked. what it did was, decrease your cities' production based on the distance from the capital plus a malus from your total number of cities--iirc it was originally designed to discourage the popular, optimized infinite city sprawl trick from the earlier games, but all this ended up doing was putting a -95% production penalty on everything but your capital (since that's immune to corruption) once you had a normal-sized empire. the exception case was when you used communism, which averages the corruption penalty out across all cities, which meant that you only took a 90% penalty on everything. but it had the secondary problem of including your capital in this calculation, so your only good city in the entire world is now equally as worthless as every other poo poo city in your empire.

civ 4 did "fake corruption," where your city upkeep was higher the further you were from your capital city/ies. this is fine, of course, because it's just a limiter on your economy, and way better than reducing the final output of everything forever.

you know what i loved best about civ 4? the quests and the random events. except the barbarian one

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

Get ready for disappointment if you are expecting much out of the physics/material simulation part of the game. It's 99% hoping you got a gun good enough to headshot enemies before they can snipe you with 100% accuracy across an unlimited distance.

this is not fair imo, sometimes it's hard to get a good weapon yeah but it's definitely possible to use the environment against the enemies and go for different strategies than just blasting. the only thing truly broken in the game is the drill which just lets you harvest tons of gold safely

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I like the retronauts podcast but the nasally host constantly cutting organic conversations short because they aren't following his carefully constructed flow chart makes me want to punch through a wall.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
All the civ games have been better than the previous one

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I agree, all the civ games have been better than 6

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Have they figured out how to make the Civ 6 AI be able to capture cities yet?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Koramei posted:

My unpopular opinion: AI cheating is good. Better if it's as un-obvious as possible, but so many good games are wasted by the devs trying to make the AI play within rules it can't possibly compete with human players at.

mostly re: strategy games but I would probably take it further if pushed

I know why they had to do it (I would have beaten that poo poo in 5 hours otherwise) but the rubberband cheating in need for speed underground was so loving jarring, going from a 20 second lead to 2nd instantly was always bullshit

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I like the retronauts podcast but the nasally host constantly cutting organic conversations short because they aren't following his carefully constructed flow chart makes me want to punch through a wall.

Jeremy Parish? Yeah he's kinda annoying

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It's much harder to create AI that is meaningfully stupid than AI that is meaningfully good

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

MrQwerty posted:

I know why they had to do it (I would have beaten that poo poo in 5 hours otherwise) but the rubberband cheating in need for speed underground was so loving jarring, going from a 20 second lead to 2nd instantly was always bullshit

making good racing game AI that behaves humanlike while still being challenging is seemingly impossible.
even more so in sims, where obvious rubberbanding is a big no no.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kazzah posted:

I agree, all the civ games have been better than 6

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Das Butterbrot posted:

making good racing game AI that behaves humanlike while still being challenging is seemingly impossible.

This is why Trackmania and Dirt Rally are the best racing games. Just get rid of the AI altogether and make finishing the tracks themselves the challenge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nice Van My Man posted:

This is why Trackmania and Dirt Rally are the best racing games. Just get rid of the AI altogether and make finishing the tracks themselves the challenge.

This really is probably one of the best ways to do it outside of multiplayer, leaves enough room for players to do it the way they want.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Civ is not a particularly engaging 4x series

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If Civilization was combined with Populous I'd give it a shot

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Not sure if this is that unpopular, but modern 2D games without any pixel grain or hand drawn styling are super ugly. This was at its worst during the XBox 360 era where decent games like Castle Crashers or Alien Homind would sometimes literally be reconfigured Flash games.

This is a real indulgent complaint, because developers have kind of figured this out, but even then "retro" styling feels played out too.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 13, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
civ rev is the most interesting iteration of civ other than 4 because 4x games are way too long

we need to have hundreds of turns because that's what epic means, epic means bigger numbers

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Not sure if this is that unpopular, but modern 2D games without any pixel grain or hand drawn styling are super ugly. This was at its worst during the XBox 360 era where decent games like Castle Crashers or Alien Homind would sometimes literally be Flash games.

This is a real indulgent complaint, because developers have kind of figured this out, but even then "retro" styling feels played out too.

What exactly counts here? Does the newer style Guilty Gear uses where they 2D-ify 3D models count?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

signalnoise posted:

What exactly counts here? Does the newer style Guilty Gear uses where they 2D-ify 3D models count?

I haven't played those, but that sounds okay. Recently, Hollow Knight kind of has it (even though I love that game and the character design itself). Skull Girls has it. It just makes things look a little cheap to my eyes, but I also realise that this is kind of subjective and unreasonable.

Cuphead would be an example of how to avoid it creatively. That game is beautiful.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 13, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

civ rev is the most interesting iteration of civ other than 4 because 4x games are way too long

we need to have hundreds of turns because that's what epic means, epic means bigger numbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0Y26iTPSM

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MrQwerty posted:

This is the one that always comes to mind for me. That game was so good outside of that and the wonky physics if you ever got your wheels off the ground

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Civ6 is great. You play it for a while and everything takes forever because you have to build a boring lovely district that takes 40 turns before you can build a building that takes another 20 turns. Then you go back to Civ4 and everything is so loving turbo fast! 6 is like a dlc that makes 4 better.

Just thinking about seeing a build menu that says "hey, you have stone, go ahead and build the taj mahal in 6 turns, why not" makes me cum in my trousers

Icochet fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 13, 2020

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Speaking of A.I. shenanigans, I'm still waiting for a remake of the original Black & White.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Icochet posted:

Civ6 is great. You play it for a while and everything takes forever because you have to build a boring lovely district that takes 40 turns before you can build a building that takes another 20 turns. Then you go back to Civ4 and everything is so loving turbo fast! 6 is like a dlc that makes 4 better.

Just thinking about seeing a build menu that says "hey, you have stone, go ahead and build the taj mahal in 6 turns, why not" makes me cum in my trousers

Civ 4 gameplay with Civ 2's fmv advisors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVz_eDUTjAI

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Das Butterbrot posted:

Reminds me of the time Wreckfest got released on consoles and had rubberbanding because console babbys expected it. For some god awful reason they also patched it into the PC version and you can imagine how happy the users were. Thankfully they released a patch a couple of days later that removed it.

Oh and speaking of Wreckfest, the new challenge they released recently has you driving a Mad Max murder buss around a track in the opposite direction of a bunch or regular cars. It's absolutely bloody amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNXh5LZYLWw

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

Civ 2 and Civ 3 where the high point of that series, imo. Colonization was the masterpiece.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Panzeh posted:

Another great thing about Civ Rev was that it was first civilization game with big gameplay differences between nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Are any of the Civ4 spinoff games worth getting into? I played around on Colonization but I feel like there's something I'm not getting.